What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Can The Forum Be Better? Your Thoughts? (4 Viewers)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
April is a time where we can take a breath a bit and see how we're doing. And maybe see if there are things we can do better.

Do you have thoughts there?

Granted, forums are similar to most social groups in they "self select". If you don't like how we do things here, you're probably not here. So the audience is by definition mostly ok with how things are. Or they wouldn't be here.

But still, I think we can always be better.

If you have thoughts, let's hear them. (And no, yoga pants threads are not returning).

We're limited in many ways by the forum software and many things aren't changeable. But we're always looking to be better.

Let's hear it. And thanks for being part of the forums.

Last edited:
I used to enjoy coming into the FFA and would usually get a chuckle (a laugh, not the jelly based candy). With the moderation, the FFA is decidedly more serious than it was years ago. I understand the rationale for the change, but this place is kind of a drag compared to what it was and I check FBG a lot less as a result.

I like how the board is. I like I can read it around my family with no concerns of craziness like on Twitter or whatever. But I do wish there could be something else done other than timeouts for posters. I don’t know what that answer is but it’s driven a lot of funny and excellent posters out of here and that sucks. There’s just no denying we’ve had a brain drain here over the years.

Might just be a personality conflict thing but I miss posters like Ferris and Jzilla and so many others that left.

I miss signatures.

And the SCOTUS thread. That was the best of the board and if it was possible to resurrect, even with high levels of scrutiny, I'd applaud that.

Joe, within the confines of your preferred content restrictions (sexual stuff, politics, R-rated words) I think you have the board running about as well as can be expected. There's a clear, identifiable division within the forums that posters generally seem to follow (so the board is user friendly). I think The Shark Pool has improved with its content recently and the FFA continues to provide enjoyable content.

My only opinion on improving the board (recognizing that you want this board to be PG) would be to open back up the political sub forum. But, I know you strongly disagree with this opinion so I won't belabor the point further.

There’s just no denying we’ve had a brain drain here over the years.

I think this is true, and there really is no coming back from it. Forums are an "old man's" venue.

As someone who was away for a while, and came back to the board - it really feels a lot different - a bit stale, and homogeneous. I don't see nearly as many really smart discussions with multiple views - it's pretty much "go along with the prevailing, or get out if you don't like it!"

(I posted this in the Shark Pool version of this thread, but I'll post it again over here)

I'll nominate something that took place yesterday as a positive change, and something to keep on doing:

A side-eyed socio-political comment got dropped about two pages deep into a music thread. There was maybe a dozen subsequent posts back and forth before a moderator came in to warn off the bickering. Then ... instead of locking the thread and quashing the music conversation, the bickering posts were simply removed from the thread -- and then the music discussion was able to resume.

THAT was a good bit of moderation right there -- keeping the overall thread while cutting out the sniping. In the past, good, long discussions were too quickly deep-sixed under similar circumstances.

I like how the board is. I like I can read it around my family with no concerns of craziness like on Twitter or whatever. But I do wish there could be something else done other than timeouts for posters. I don’t know what that answer is but it’s driven a lot of funny and excellent posters out of here and that sucks. There’s just no denying we’ve had a brain drain here over the years.
Some places do topic bans and even forum bans for individual posters. If a poster is fine in the Shark Pool and fine in music or cooking threads, but spews dung all throughout, I don't know, the Ukraine thread or something ... the banning could be more surgical.

Might just be a personality conflict thing but I miss posters like Ferris and Jzilla and so many others that left.

I hear you. I'm open to other ideas on things. We do normally warn people the first few times if it's not something egregious.

But for a poster that knows what they're doing, we use a suspension. The guy that was derailing the Beyonce thread for instance got a suspension and no direct warning. Although the moderators did post something in the thread asking everyone to be more cool. So in that case, it was a public note of warning. But then the poster got a suspension.

I'm open to other options. I do agree it's difficult.

(I posted this in the Shark Pool version of this thread, but I'll post it again over here)

I'll nominate something that took place yesterday as a positive change, and something to keep on doing:

A side-eyed socio-political comment got dropped about two pages deep into a music thread. There was maybe a dozen subsequent posts back and forth before a moderator came in to warn off the bickering. Then ... instead of locking the thread and quashing the music conversation, the bickering posts were simply removed from the thread -- and then the music discussion was able to resume.

THAT was a good bit of moderation right there -- keeping the overall thread while cutting out the sniping. In the past, good, long discussions were too quickly deep-sixed under similar circumstances.

Thanks. This happens a good bit. And maybe more than folks realize as they're not able to see all the posts that a moderator deletes. But yes, I agree with you that it's best to keep something alive if we can. And also, we don't like giving a troll the satisfaction of getting a thread closed. Fortunately, we're able to salvage a good number of threads that way.

Joe, within the confines of your preferred content restrictions (sexual stuff, politics, R-rated words) I think you have the board running about as well as can be expected. There's a clear, identifiable division within the forums that posters generally seem to follow (so the board is user friendly). I think The Shark Pool has improved with its content recently and the FFA continues to provide enjoyable content.

My only opinion on improving the board (recognizing that you want this board to be PG) would be to open back up the political sub forum. But, I know you strongly disagree with this opinion so I won't belabor the point further.

Thanks GB. I appreciate that.

Reactions: Zow
I don't see nearly as many really smart discussions with multiple views - it's pretty much "go along with the prevailing, or get out if you don't like it!"

Momentum can sway one way or the other and I agree it's good to have a range of opinions. But I don't see a lot of what you're saying where it's group think and if you think differently you're told to get out.

In particular, I think the social media / smart phone thread has been really smart discussion. I love that we actually have a few teachers who can give their insight. As well as lots of parents with young kids who are thinking on this. That kind of thing is what I think the board does best.

Do you have examples and links you've seen of the "our way or get out" type threads?

For threads that I've posted in and there is a new message, I can simply click on the thread and it it will take me to the last post I saw, which is awesome. However this doesn't work if a thread has been bumped after some time of inactivity, it always takes me to the first post. What's up with that?

I think Timeouts are handed out a little too often. It seems like a few recent TOs have been for very minor infractions/comments or "ribbing" amongst friends on the boards even. Sometimes the context is not known and the TO is just given without any thought.

I don't understand what a TO is supposed to accomplish in situations like that other than to alienate your userbase.

I feel like TOs should be reserved for major forum rule infractions, or for situations that get really heated so that people can cool off a bit. In the latter situation I cant imagine more than a 24 hour TO being necessary to calm someone down.

This will be unpopular and I already know it’s not going to happen but since you asked…I think you should bring the political forum back.

I know all the reasons why not already. Here are the reasons why: because we’re currently in the most tumultuous political era since the Civil War with an election coming up. We are more divided in this nation than at any point in our lifetimes. Despite all its problems and acrimony, your political forum was one of the rare places in our society where people on all sides could, at times, engage in civilized discussion and debate. And that’s a rare thing. Since you’ve shut it down I’ve looked for a replacement. I didn’t want a forum filled with people who agreed with me because what is the point? But I also didn’t want a forum filled with those who always disagreed with me. I wanted somewhere where both sides are reasonably heard. I have been unable to find such a place. Believe me I’ve tried. Also, every forum I’ve found has been far far uglier than here in terms of how people are treated, and the names they call each other. I don’t want that either.

Anyhow I think that at its best your political forum provided an important service. And I miss it. I fully get that it was too much moderation for you, too much work, too many complaints, bad for business. I can’t blame you at all for shutting it down. Perhaps an alternative might be to return it but charge a monthly fee? I’d pay it. I think others might though I don’t know. Just an idea. Anyway, you did ask so I thought I would offer my opinion on this subject one last time. And now I’m done.

For threads that I've posted in and there is a new message, I can simply click on the thread and it it will take me to the last post I saw, which is awesome. However this doesn't work if a thread has been bumped after some time of inactivity, it always takes me to the first post. What's up with that?
Hit the "Jump to new" button if that happens.

This will be unpopular and I already know it’s not going to happen but since you asked…I think you should bring the political forum back.
So you want to have regular timeouts again? Because that's what happened when it was active. ;)

I think Joe made the right decision there. The politics forum was toxic despite the best efforts of some folks, and nuking it, combined with more active moderation when political comments were made in the FFA, actually reduced the toxicity of the FFA.

There are tons of other places on the internet to discuss politics, if you feel you must.

The discussion in this thread is going down the same path as that dramatic poster who said he is leaving. Instead of discussing political forum and moderation of personal attacks we should all centralize around the one thing this forum needs, embedded pictures.

The moderation is a copout, @Joe Bryant you gave the political forum years, you can give pictures a few months. Many other forums have embedded pictures with no issues at all.

My best guess on that is it has to do with timing from the board upgrade I believe last year. Threads started prior to it, such as these older threads that get bumped by bots, aren't in your cookies for the site to know what you have/have not read so it reads it as a brand new thread for you.

In addition to the jump to new button, you can also use the "Mark Forum Read" option. I have found that to help as well.

• Loyalty Rewards program (I'm thinking BryantBucks, Get out of banning free cards, punch GM in the ear promotions, etc)
  • Program the board to change a different random word every day into something ridiculous
  • Thursday night happy hour. Alternatively, ladies nights with no cover and drink specials.
  • Free Frosty Fridays (not to be confused with Free @Frostillicus Fridays)

I'd like to see a return of the political forum, and then let the Moderators moderate. I found many more interesting and informative posts in that forum than I did offensive ones.

Full nudity. No, I don’t mean allowing posting it or linking to it, but mandating it for everyone posting. If everyone has to be fully nude while posting, it will create vulnerability and cause people to be less aggressive and attacking.

If you want to know how to enforce it, I don’t know. I’m more of an ideas guy, not an implementation guy.

Just curious, partly due to those asking about the political forum; what happened to that knockoff forum? I think it was invitation only. I was on for a bit but lost interest. It seems that would be the best way to start a new PSF.

Just curious, partly due to those asking about the political forum; what happened to that knockoff forum? I think it was invitation only. I was on for a bit but lost interest. It seems that would be the best way to start a new PSF.
I think the bold answers your question. The same happened to me. I got the invite, spent a little time over there, but honestly I've just been coming here exclusively for the last 17 or so years or whatever it's been that when I have some time to kill it's just a reflexive click for me. And, frankly, I just forgot about the offshoot forum whereas I have a FBG routine that included the politics sub-forum when it was around.

Last edited:
I don't think it will "improve" the site but sometimes I see threads that I think belong in another category (i'm also gulity of this so sorry )

I know all the reasons why not already. Here are the reasons why: because we’re currently in the most tumultuous political era since the Civil War with an election coming up. We are more divided in this nation than at any point in our lifetimes. Despite all its problems and acrimony, your political forum was one of the rare places in our society where people on all sides could, at times, engage in civilized discussion and debate. And that’s a rare thing. Since you’ve shut it down I’ve looked for a replacement. I didn’t want a forum filled with people who agreed with me because what is the point? But I also didn’t want a forum filled with those who always disagreed with me. I wanted somewhere where both sides are reasonably heard. I have been unable to find such a place. Believe me I’ve tried. Also, every forum I’ve found has been far far uglier than here in terms of how people are treated, and the names they call each other. I don’t want that either.

Anyhow I think that at its best your political forum provided an important service. And I miss it. I fully get that it was too much moderation for you, too much work, too many complaints, bad for business. I can’t blame you at all for shutting it down. Perhaps an alternative might be to return it but charge a monthly fee? I’d pay it. I think others might though I don’t know. Just an idea. Anyway, you did ask so I thought I would offer my opinion on this subject one last time. And now I’m done.
While I don't agree that it should be brought back, I completely agree that it was better than other alternatives on the internet and your reasons why. I am significantly less informed on what's going on in our world now vs ~2 years ago and will only worsen as time goes by until I fall bass ackwards into an alternative that's ~80% of what it was, which kinda like change in our politics (please don't ban!) isn't going happen.

I think it's about perfect for me.

It would be great to have a civil politics forum but in today's climate I don't think its achievable unless you have a super strict rule set that is enforced but that's probably not the business footballguys wants to be in.

The tool factor in the shark pool is annoying and makes me want to go there less, but I think the mods do their best...maybe some more severe time outs for the obvious violators there.

Really appreciate everything these boards have provided me over the years.

While I don't agree that it should be brought back, I completely agree that it was better than other alternatives on the internet and your reasons why. I am significantly less informed on what's going on in our world now vs ~2 years ago and will only worsen as time goes by until I fall bass ackwards into an alternative that's ~80% of what it was, which kinda like change in our politics (please don't ban!) isn't going happen.
It seems like people really want an aggregator of the goings-on in the world without the accompanying political opinions.

Full nudity. No, I don’t mean allowing posting it or linking to it, but mandating it for everyone posting. If everyone has to be fully nude while posting, it will create vulnerability and cause people to be less aggressive and attacking.

If you want to know how to enforce it, I don’t know. I’m more of an ideas guy, not an implementation guy.
"Got fired today for posting at FBG while at work"

Where's that?

The "Jump to New" button never works for me.

It seems like people really want an aggregator of the goings-on in the world without the accompanying political opinions.
I very much covet the political opinions, on all spectrums, that were expressed on this board. They contributed heavily to how my own politics evolved (or devolved depending on who you ask) vs ~10 years ago. The VERY vocal minority just made it untenable from a management perspective. It wasn't difficult to navigate on the user end - I just engaged my scroll thumb when the tools acted like tools do for sometimes pages on end. Same can't be done when you're running the show though...or I guess it'd be better to say 'allowing it to happen.'

Where's that?
On desktop/laptop, once you're in a thread, it's at the top of the page on the right, below the subject line but above the first post.

you know, there's good naked, and there's bad naked

I think it's about perfect for me.

It would be great to have a civil politics forum but in today's climate I don't think its achievable unless you have a super strict rule set that is enforced but that's probably not the business footballguys wants to be in.

The tool factor in the shark pool is annoying and makes me want to go there less, but I think the mods do their best...maybe some more severe time outs for the obvious violators there.

Really appreciate everything these boards have provided me over the years.
I really think there's been a noticeable improvement in the SP over the last NFL season through this off-season in terms of both content and poster's attitudes and behaviors. In fact I think a lot of the content there now is as good as a lot of paid content (@Faust is so incredible with his up-to-date posts) and threads like the recent FBG mock draft were civil, rational, and super intuitive.

I'm finding myself in the Shark Pool a lot more than before (probably the most I visited since I initially learned about this site back in 2006 prior to discovering the FFA). The dynasty trades thread, the individual player threads, the up-to-date information during the free agency first few days, and the mock draft are all very worthwhile reads.

you know, there's good naked, and there's bad naked
And I having met a good number of posters here IRL, and looking at my own self in the mirror now, I can safely say we all fall into the latter bucket.

The discussion in this thread is going down the same path as that dramatic poster who said he is leaving. Instead of discussing political forum and moderation of personal attacks we should all centralize around the one thing this forum needs, embedded pictures.

The moderation is a copout, @Joe Bryant you gave the political forum years, you can give pictures a few months. Many other forums have embedded pictures with no issues at all.

Thanks. We may revisit that in the future. A decision you don't agree with doesn't make it a copout though. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread