What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official SF 49ers 2015 thread *** Chip Kelly new HC (2 Viewers)

The best thing for the 49ers is to land Bowles or Quinn. A Defensive coach who knows you need to run the ball and control the game with defense.

Why would you bring in an offensive passing coach for this team?
They have Vic Fangio, who is one of the best DCs in the game already.
He is awesome, I agree but I am talking for a head coach with the same mentality as whats strong on this team already. Bowles or Quinn can hire a good OC, but at the end of the day a defensive minded head coach for this team is better then an offensive minded one.
No. The defense can only do so much. At the end of the day, they need to score points. If they hire a defensive minded coach they will be mired in mediocrity.
Isnt that what the OC is for?
Like drummer said, we've had some good ones...I'd rather take a chance on a guy like McDaniels who at least has extensive experience under the most successful coach in the last 15 years, is offense minded, has HC experience (as bad as it was, not every HC does great their first stint....or 2...Pete Carroll ring a bell?), and who may be ripe for the picking. That said, he might NOT be the answer, but the next great head coach is out there, and it won't be known until someone hires him. SF is as turn key as it gets, IMO...as someone else said, Harbaugh being gone may actually be a good thing for this team at this point. It shouldn't take much for them to return to what they were last year...Kaep is the wild card here....if he can improve on LAST year, this team can contend again right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best thing for the 49ers is to land Bowles or Quinn. A Defensive coach who knows you need to run the ball and control the game with defense.

He is awesome, I agree but I am talking for a head coach with the same mentality as whats strong on this team already. Bowles or Quinn can hire a good OC, but at the end of the day a defensive minded head coach for this team is better then an offensive minded one.
No. The defense can only do so much. At the end of the day, they need to score points. If they hire a defensive minded coach they will be mired in mediocrity.
Isnt that what the OC is for?
Like drummer said, we've had some good ones...I'd rather take a chance on a guy like McDaniels who at least has extensive experience under the most successful coach in the last 15 years, is offense minded, has HC experience (as bad as it was, not every HC does great their first stint....or 2...Pete Carroll ring a bell?), and who may be ripe for the picking. That said, he might NOT be the answer, but the next great head coach is out there, and it won't be known until someone hires him. SF is as turn key as it gets, IMO...as someone else said, Harbaugh being gone may actually be a good thing for this team at this point. It shouldn't take much for them to return to what they were last year...Kaep is the wild card here....if he can improve on LAST year, this team can contend again right away.
They were an 8-8 team this year for a reason: Baalke blowing drafts like Jordan Belfort doing blow off a hooker's ***.

The talent Scot M. brought in will be gone. or aged, they have to cut salaries to save cap, Aldon Smith will wind up in jail again.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and the new head coach will either have to kiss Jed's ring, or get his butt ran out of town.

That's the message Jed York put out there today.

Hoping the 49ers land McDaniels, just so the front office can be the biggest laughing stock ever in the history of football.

This is why I dont feel bad for coaches and GMs when they get fired, they never learn. Why on earth would the 49ers want anyone over Harbaugh? I dont understand it at all.

Baalke needs to go and go now, until he does the 49ers deserve all the bad things that can happen to a franchise. I do not dislike the 49ers or their fans, just cant stand bad bad GMs in the sport. It causes for bad football because of their egos.
Because he can't get along with anyone? Ever work for someone you absolutely hate? Or made your life miserable? You can only take it for so long and that's exactly what happened here.
I didnt know getting along was the object of football, I thought it was winning games.
Yeah, I get that, but apparently the environment became so toxic that it just couldn't exist anymore regardless of how much they are winning. I can completely understand not wanting to work in a toxic environment. I suppose it's easy to look on in from the outside and dismiss it casually like it's no big deal, but i've worked in toxic environments before and you can only do it so long.
LOL, some people on this site cant get along. People dont get along, its human nature.

Winning games, period. I dont care if Harbaugh cussed out Baalkes mom, his job is to win games not kiss Baalkes butt. He did his job.
Are maybe no ones giving Baalke enough credit. Maybe he could see the effect that Harbaugh was having on the team. Maybe 10 of the veterans went up to him and implored him to make changes. Maybe he could see that the team was tuning JH out (which would explain an 8-8 season).

I don't really believe that JH would have gotten more from the team next year. Every sportscast I listen to talks about how JH has a 3-4 year window before it gets toxic. 8-8 was the start of toxic with a team that talented.
Well, if you were paying attention, and I don't think that's possible, what's more true is that Baalke received more credit than deserved.

My take (keeping in mind I have never met any of these people, and am basing my opinion on watching games, reading internet reporting of varying credibility, and a little on listening to press conferences and interviews over the years):

Sounds like Harbaugh is very difficult to work with, got the highest contract for a first year head coach ever handed out (after being told no, you can't have a contract richer than Belichek's, and having Miami refuse to top SF's offer) then continually #####ed and whined for a renegotiation, almost constantly from day one. At the outset he was told no, we are not going to repeat the mistake we made under Nolan and combine the coach and GM function, Baalke controls roster decisions, and he agreed to that arrangement but then chafed under it the whole time. He stepped into a team that was on an upswing after a salary cap purge and some reasonably good drafts, and rode the wave upward. He probably coaches a little like Billy Martin coached baseball teams, riding young players hard and getting good initial results, but wearing out his welcome over time.

The irony is the same thing that makes him hyper-competitive as a coach made him a constant irritant to team management, always trying to come out on top, and he didn't know when to turn it off. If a team gets to the playoffs every year, they'll put up with the coach being a jerk, reluctantly. If the team goes 8-8, well, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

He made a big point earlier in the year of showing up management at the opening press ceremony for the new stadium, holding a practice so late as to interfere with the schedule and showing up late for the event in a track suit instead of a business suit and standing at the back, pouting, saying this is not my party -- maybe he felt slighted by management over some injustice, but the way he chose to show it with a deliberate snub to ownership gave me the impression that his days were numbered.

I do not look at it as such a major loss to the 49ers. I look at it as, we just lost the last contract year of someone who was going to be a free agent after next year, and was certainly going to be gone anyway. My biggest regret is that we didn't squeeze a draft pick out of Cleveland for him a year ago.
Yeah, losing Harbaugh for a Lattimore is flat out raw deal man.

Kinda feel bad for 5Rings too. He may get that 6th when he is Bill Ring's age, if he isn't there already. If he is, sorry man, you're stuck on 5 until 75.

Lmao its been a day and the niner faithful are already on their knees praying for the next Jim Harbaugh. Brings such a grin to my face. Hate to say it folk (I really don't)...you dug your own grave with this one.

Just to post a small addendum to my scoring post:

In 2011: they scored 380 points, 11th of 32 in the NFL

Here is the kicker...

Kicker David Akers was responsible for 166 of them. He broke Jerry Rice's single season scoring record with the team that year.

Soooooo....

Alex Smith threw 17 TDs, and had 2 rushing TDs for a total of 144 points that same season.

The 49ers go 13-3 that regular season, on the strengths of a defense, and a kicker. Some call that "old school" football.

Meanwhile..

1981: scored 357 points, 7th of 28

Joe Montana: 19 TDs, 2 rushing TDs = 126 points

Ray Wersching/Matt Bahr = 99 points

I don't need to remind anyone of the final outcome of 1981, do I?

But hey, Bill Walsh wouldn't had gotten along with Jed York, even though he evokes his name constantly. His Dad didn't, so why should he?

Lmao its been a day and the niner faithful are already on their knees praying for the next Jim Harbaugh. Brings such a grin to my face. Hate to say it folk (I really don't)...you dug your own grave with this one.
I'm sure it's been a great day for you. That doesn't say much, but live it up man, life is short!

Busted on a Squawk fan today. He was like "Hey man, you should root for us, lololol"

I told him if I were to switch to another team, I would chose an old AFL team, or a pre AFL/NFL merger team.

Ya know, teams with a real NFL history.

Just a little nugget in case efactor rolls in:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/12/29/7464445/jed-york-press-conference-trent-baalke-jim-harbaugh#279932318

I overheard Jed York essentially say Harbaugh was not a very good coach, because "a good coach would’ve won that Super Bowl". A lot of users felt it had to be a misperception because it was illogical and some said it was my "rhetoric", but I heard it right. Oh well. In this post: http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/29/6865289/deion-sanders-michael-crabtree-jim-harbaugh-49ers-players#261655918
Someone (and I am not giving him up) said to him the rumors about Harbaugh seemed ridiculous, because "Jim was such a great coach". I fully expected Jed to back Harbaugh, but instead he remarked "a great coach would’ve won that Super Bowl" (or something to that effect). It shocked me.

And, I am nobody. Jed York freely talks to anyone who will listen to him. I know a couple of people in the loop, and they all say the same. He has a big mouth. I get he wants a Super Bowl and it should be the ultimate goal, but he does not seem to place value on the winning culture Harbaugh created. I lost my faith in this ownership shortly thereafter.

Kinda feel bad for 5Rings too. He may get that 6th when he is Bill Ring's age, if he isn't there already. If he is, sorry man, you're stuck on 5 until 75.
I don't see any reason to feel bad for him. He will get to keep his handle for a long time.

Fangio can bring in an OC and is as good or better than those guys.

I think the thought behind the offensive HC is to attempt to shore up the team's weaknesses. You have virtually no margin for error as a defense/run first team. If you can develop a consistent passing offense you'll always be competitive. Kaep has franchise QB physical talent, which is hard to find. It's worth it to exhaust every avenue in an attempt to develop that, IMO.

I know, I can't believe the fans forced Harbaugh out like this.

Wow, youre not too bright. We dont want the next Harbaugh, we just don't want another Nolan or Singletary.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that. What a ##### pickle.
every once in a while I talk myself into leaving the confines of the FFA, and I'm always struck by the number of idiots posting in this forum. I really don't know why I bother anymore.

Busted on a Squawk fan today. He was like "Hey man, you should root for us, lololol"

I told him if I were to switch to another team, I would chose an old AFL team, or a pre AFL/NFL merger team.

This is better then "Well, the Jerk Store called, and they're running out of you".

Have you ever thought about going into writing?

I honestly don't have a favorite for the job right now, I don't know who I want them to bring in... I'd do some HW, but then I'll just hate Baalke more when he goes with the worst pick out there.

Wow. Get him Murph.

York on mutual parting: Did you not see the press release that Jim and I put out together?

Posted on December 30, 2014 at 9:44 am by Eric Branch, sfgate

Niners CEO Jed York went on KNBR this morning and was interviewed, aggressively, by host Brian Murphy.

It was a fascinating 17 minutes in which York attempted to duck and dodge a never-ending series of haymakers. I have other work responsibilities to get to, so lets get right to it (the audio is here):

I was stunned by this stat. There have been only two times in the history of the league that coaches who have 44 wins in four years have left a team for a reason other than retirement. George Seifert was fired by the 49ers. Mike Holmgren left Green Bay for Seattle. So how you can justify a move that is so at odds with the history of the NFL?

JY: It was mutual. This wasnt just the 49ers decision.

Well, Jed, thats a huge issue for me. Jim Harbaugh was asked on a number of occasions: What is going on? Why is this happening? And Jims specific words were, I work at the pleasure of the organization. So there is a huge dichotomy. Which is true?

JY: Jim said it was mutual at the end of his tenure with the 49ers.

He didnt. In fact, his last press conference, he said, I work at the pleasure of the organization.

JY: Did you not see the press release that Jim and I put out together?

I did. But it was at odds with what he said at the podium. So Im trying to figure out which was true.

JH: I mean, Ive had conversations with Jim. It was a mutual decision.

So you say it was mutual. He says he wanted to work there as long as you would have him. That just doesnt add up. Two plus two just doesnt equal four.

JY: I mean, you can ask Jim if you want. I sat down with him as we put together a press release. I dont know what else to tell you.

OK. I guess well just have to leave this one hanging. He said one thing. You said another. And well just have to figure out who we believe. (NBCs) Cris Collinsworth said something in Week 1 thats been nagging at me all year. He said the 49ers have a winning situation going on right now. We hear theres discord as early as Week 1. It is now the 49ers job to keep this together because winning is hard in the NFL. And it is your job, Jed, to manage the dysfunction. Or to manage whatever the philosophical differences were because winning is the only thing that matters and you guys were winning. Why couldnt you manage it.

JY: Winning isnt the only thing matters. Winning with class is what matters.

Were you not winning with class?

JY: I mean, are you not going to blast us for off-the-field stuff for the past three or four years?

Was that Jim Harbaughs fault?

JY: Collectively, it was all of our fault.

So why werent there more heads rolling other than Jim Harbaughs. Shouldnt Trent Baalke have been held accountable and a mutual parting of ways with him?

JY: I think Trent and I are philosophically aligned on what we want to do with this team.

So winning with class is a huge thing. You mentioned it yesterday, you mentioned it again today. So were getting, maybe, closer to the smoking gun. This is a problem you had with the Harbaugh era?

JY: No, this isnt on Jim. This is on the collective group of us. Its equally on me, Jim and Trent.

So why was Jim the one to pay the price?

JY: He wasnt the one to pay the price for that. This is something that we need to concentrate on and focus on as we move forward.

Man, Im having trouble coming to grips A listener sent me a quote from a Bill Walsh book (Bill Walsh said): The bottom line in professional sports is winning. Everything has to focus on that product: Winning football games. Other offshoots mean little compared to being successful on the playing field. Thats exactly what Bill Walsh wrote, the guy you cited in yesterdays press conference. You guys were winning at a historic clip and youve chosen to go the other way. How can you justify that?

JY: I mean youve asked me that, like, 17 times already. This was a mutual decision between Jim and I. I dont know what else to tell you. If you refuse to believe that I cant help you. I dont know what else to say. This wasnt an easy decision for me. This wasnt an easy decision for Jim.

Lets talk abut the other things we can answer. There is no question there were leaks from the building. Because I dont believe Jay Glazer, Trent Dilfer, Ian Rapoport and Deion Sanders made things up out of their own head. Somewhere in your building someone planted stories. Who was planting them?

JY: I have no idea.

Why didnt you take issue with the leaks to stop them because it was showing to be counterproductive on the field?

JY: I dont know thats the reason we were counterproductive on the field. I think you see a lot of distractions with buildings. You see a lot of distractions with teams. So I dont believe what people are reporting necessarily reflect what you do on the field.

But when you say winning with class I dont think a classy organization would allow that subterfuge or sabotage to go on. Dont you see that at odds with winning with class?

JY: I do. We talk about leaks all the time. Its just not something that we tolerate. Im not going to sit down and you can go through peoples e-mails, you can go through peoples text messages. Thats not something that Im going to sit down and do. I dont where the leaks came from. I dont speak to Jay Glazer. I dont speak to Deion Sanders. I dont speak to those people. I dont know where those leaks came from.

Was it important for you to cease them? The first red flag that went up. Was it important for you to cease them? Or was it not important and just let it play out.

JY: To me, I think its important for us to focus on the field.

And, again, we get back to on the field where you guys had a historic number of wins and you chose to somehow find philosophical differences, which is the phrase you kept using yesterday. Can you please enunciate for all you guys talk about The Faithful all the time. And you want The Faithful to buy tickets and go to your stadium. And The Faithful have asked me a million times what were the philosophical differences?

JY: Did you ask Jim what the philosophical differences were?

Jim said he worked at the pleasure of the organization. Youve already, somehow, dismissed that. So I cant get anywhere with what you think about what Jim said. So Im asking you: What were the philosophical differences?

JY: Jim and I had the conversations.

What were they?

JY: Those are personal conversations. Those are not things were going to talk about.

So was it football philosophy or personal philosophy?

JY: Football philosophy.

So does it get back to how the offense was performing? Is that what youre talking about?

JY: I told you Im not to go into specific details. This isnt about do I like somebodys personality, do I not like somebodys personality. I think I understand that there are high levels of tension when you get into sports. Thats absolutely par for the course. Thats what you deal with. What were trying to figure out is how do we continue to improve? How do we continue to get better?

So you will continue to leave it behind closed doors. You dont want to address those specifically?

JY: I realize that thats a lame answer. I realize that fans they want every single detail. I understand that you want every single detail. But I respect the conversation that I had with Jim behind closed doors. I respect the fact that there are many people involved about those discussions. And not just those people, but their families. I am not going to throw those people under the bus. I am not going to throw Jim under the bus. I respect him too much. I respect what he did for the San Francisco 49ers too much to appease the crowd today to talk about something that he I said was going to remain behind closed doors.

Two things that would dispute you not throwing Jim under the bus. The Thanksgiving night tweet was, I think, something you should have addressed with your coach before you sent it out. I think Jim probably felt blindsided by that and I think a lot of people saw that as throwing under the bus. And, also, the constant leaks to Jay Glazer, Trent Dilfer, Deion Sanders and Ian Rapoport is throwing Jim under the bus. Would you not counter that?

JY: Listen, I didnt leak anything to those people. Period.

Somebody did.

JY: Thats fine. You can suppose and guess on who that is. There are a lot of people connected to this organization that arent necessarily in this building. So you can start getting into leaks and figuring out who you think it was and what you think happened. To me, I think thats counterproductive.

Did you throw Jim under the bus with that Thanksgiving night tweet? That was viewed as serious power play in which you were definitely slapping the coach in the face who tried to win a game and didnt.

JY: How is it a power play?

Because you didnt talk to the coach before you sent it out. It was almost like Im going to throw red meat to the masses while a coach is in there licking his wounds after a bad loss.

JY: I mean, I explained the tweet yesterday when (Santa Rosa Press Democrat columnist) Lowell Cohn asked and said his readership that was their No. 1 question to him. And I explained it. We had 70,000 people change their Thanksgiving plans to come here and we played well below our level. Period.

Do you think it would be more appropriate to send it out after you talk to the coach and say Hey, Jim that was unacceptable and Im going to tell the people it was unacceptable You guys are in a professional business of high money, high stakes, big ego and a lot of respect. It came across as disrespectful. I guess, youre right, you did answer it yesterday, we should move on.

JY: Thats fine. I can understand where you think it came across as disrespectful. Thats fine. I think its my responsibility to give our fans a product that I think is fulfilling of the San Francisco 49ers. And that night was not an acceptable performance.

No question. But I think, circling back, the past four years have been a very acceptable product that you guys have now chosen, willingly, to dismiss.

JY: We have not chosen willingly to dismiss.

Yeah you have.

JY: We havent. We sat down together. We had philosophical differences. Jim has signed a contract today to be the head coach at the University of Michigan a place thats been in his heart for a long time. He had a very difficult decision four years ago deciding between the 49ers and the University of Michigan.

Jim said he worked at the pleasure of the organization and people close to him have said he wanted to stay with the 49ers. And that is just the hanging issue that I think fans until you guys make a hire that goes and wins a Super Bowl is going to hang over this team for a long time.

JY: We have not won a Super Bowl yet, have we?

No you havent. And so that means five successful seasons and 63 busts in the history of the franchise. Thats another thing I wanted to ask you about. Do you regret that comment yesterday that a Super Bowl is the only acceptable alternative. That seemed wildly unrealistic and certainly creating a very difficult situation for your next coach to step into.

JY: If a coach doesnt understand that our standard is winning the Super Bowl, hes not the right coach for the 49ers.

Everybody wants to win the Super Bowl but it doesnt happen every year. Are you not creating a wildly unrealistic, silly standard there?

JY: OK, our standard will be OK, lets just have a 7- or 8-win season next year. Yeah, that will be good. Lets win 9 games next year because we only won eight this year.

Whoever your next coach is knows that a guy who went to three straight NFC championships, never had a losing season, was not good enough. Youre next coach has to understand that, right?

JY: Listen, if we can replace Bill Walsh, who won three Super Bowls. And we can replace other people that havent won Super Bowls, I feel like we will continue to find people that understand the importance of being the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers. And understand the standard that was set by Bill.

You kept saying (yesterday) Hold me accountable, hold me accountable, hold me accountable. And a lot of people asked me and they were right how can we hold you accountable. Does that mean you refund PSLs, does that mean you give away beer for free, does that mean you resign? How can we hold you accountable. What does that mean? Does that just mean verbal tongue lashings on the air? How can we hold you accountable in any meaningful way?

JY: Well, I mean, youre trying to give me a verbal tongue lashing now. Im not sure what else to tell you on how to hold me accountable.

You said you want to be held accountable. A lot of people said Im a season-ticket holder. How can I hold him accountable?

JY: Id love to hear from fans. Id love to hear from them if you have suggestions for me. If you have thoughts about what we can do better. And if you think that were not performing to a level, you can let me know. And you can decide the best form that you can communicate that with me.

A lot of people, including me, have said you guys are missing a John McVay, a Carmen Policy. I understand Paraag Marathe is a very bright guy. I know him. And you got the stadium built. I understand Trent Baalke is a great football man. In my opinion, there needs to be a wiser and elder voice in there not unlike what the Warriors did in bringing in Jerry West. John McVay was that man. Carmen Policy was that man. Would you consider adding another voice that has a lot of league experience, so that situations that just happened a very successful and winning coach was not able to managed in a proper way the situation was not able to be managed in a proper way. Would you add an elder statesmen that can manages these situations in the future?

JY: Well do anything to help this team get better and to win.

So does that mean youll do that?

JY: Well do anything to help this team to get better and to win.

I would recommend it I felt it was your job you were the elder statesmen there, you were the guy, to manage the dysfunction between Trent and Jim.

JY: Again, did Jim say there was dysfunction between he and Trent?

I only know that from all the leaks that came from the building.

JY: But did Jim say that?

No, Jim said he worked at the pleasure of the organization.

JY: Right, but at the end, his final press conference, what did Jim say about his relationship with Trent?

I dont remember the exact specific quote. But I could tell you that he wanted to stay. From my understanding he wanted to stay.

JY: Then I would assume if he wanted to stay, then he had a pretty decent relationship with Trent, is that correct?

Apparently the situation was managed to the point where he is no longer the coach. It was not managed properly so I think thats what were left with. We started the season this way and we end the season this way You guys have a chance: To me, the analogy is the ball is on your own 1. You guys are going to have to drive 99 yards now. You can score a touchdown. You can hire a guy who will fix this team. But you guys have put yourself in a difficult situation because you had winning coach and youve now dismissed him. It is not encouraging to me that its the second time in the York ownership that you guys have dismissed a popular and winning coach for no apparent good reason. You know what Im saying?

JY: I hear you. And you know what, nothing that I say is going to appease you. The only thing thats going to appease you is doing exactly what you just said: Bringing the right person in here and getting the team back to a Super-Bowl-winning caliber. Period.

MORE TO COME

Email63Print71

Tags:San Francisco 49ers

« Previous Post

This is better then "Well, the Jerk Store called, and they're running out of you".

Have you ever thought about going into writing?
Well, you quoted "Jerk store", so if my post equates that, then you probably should not get into writing.

Jed York is a good example of why you don't bring a Silicon Valley mindset into a professional sports franchise. This isn't Apple beating you in a fiscal quarter over your Galaxy S5 sales. This is football. Again, he is better served working over at Facebook with all of the other arrogant snots his own age.

I'd rather Peter Thiel than Jed York at this point.

I wonder how worried all those corporate sponsors and partnerships feel today. Your first year in Levi's Stadium, and you fire your most successful head coach as owner. That has to worry more than just fans.

Jed keeps bringing up Walsh. His own father froze him out, when Walsh had an office over at HQ. Again, Daddy didn't like Walsh, even after he brought him in. Jed would have had the same philosophical differences with Walsh as his own father did.

Every time he mentions Walsh, it's a pure cynical act. Harbaugh was his Walsh. Walsh was just as arrogant as Harbaugh, just not as crazy on the sideline. Hell, Jed hired Harbaugh equating him to Walsh.

The more he tries to be Eddie, the more he becomes Daddy.

BTW, I do not want Carmen Policy back. No way no how. He buried that team with his own poor drafts and cap management/violations. I think the Browns still reel from his hire too.

SLAM!!!

:lmao:

The problem with York is that he still thinks the niners are undefeated in super bowls and he treats everyone below him under that premise. The niners are human now...and still very good. Treat everyone as such and lose the god complex.

Lol at the empty seats at the Foster Farms Bowl @ Levis. Of course the weather has to be a factor, with again maybe the crowd at the warm lounges with the iPads.

The worst thing about that Jed interview - if it wasn't worse enough already - was that it was on the Murph and Mac show on the 49er flagship KNBR. That show is as vanilla as it gets. Very even keeled, never controversial, almost apologetic at times, and a snooze fest overall. I posted how KNBR let Jed off the hook all day yesterday. The post game shows on KNBR even brought back Rich Walcoff to pair with Larry Krueger. Walcoff used to host the post games when they were on KGO, and even during a 2-14 Erickson season had zero balls when to came to criticizing John York. He is a York mouthpiece, and was off the air until they brought him back to do the same as he did then: spout how great the Yorks are.

Krueger, on the other hand I can see why he would be bit gun shy. During an SF Giants post game show, he uttered the words "Caribbean Slop" when it came to the Giants hitting that pissed off Felipe Alou, and was canned the next day.

Why is that interview worse? A buddy of mine said it best: if you get pwned on the Murph and Mac show, you're a b***h.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that. What a ##### pickle.
every once in a while I talk myself into leaving the confines of the FFA, and I'm always struck by the number of idiots posting in this forum. I really don't know why I bother anymore.
And what a way to show you're "above it all" by posting this.

From the " the more is tries to be his Eddie, the more he is Daddy" page:

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/York-explains-break-with-Mariucci-49ers-owner-2660652.php

In the two months since he fired Steve Mariucci as coach of the 49ers and the one month since he hired Dennis Erickson to replace him, John York's stewardship of the franchise has taken more hits than many Web sites.

York acknowledged Sunday that some of his critics were correct.

He admitted that he should have handled the transition better and that he erred in not making the announcement of Mariucci's dismissal personally, instead leaving general manager Terry Donahue to face reporters and explain it.

Only several hours later did York address reporters on a conference call.

Nevertheless, York, in an interview with The Chronicle at the beginning of the NFL's annual owners meeting, left no doubt that he regrets only the way Mariucci's dismissal was handled, not the dismissal itself.

He accused Mariucci of talking out of both sides of his mouth in his comments with team officials and with outsiders, and he put the blame squarely on Mariucci for the problems the 49ers' former coach had with both Donahue and former general manager Bill Walsh.

"I regret not coming down there (to make the announcement)," York said. "I wasn't trying to run away from anything. I'm not sure how well I would have handled that situation. . . . That would have been rough. (But) regardless of how I handled it, I would have handled it better than what happened."
Daddy York fired Mooch over the phone while Mooch was watching "Joe Millionaire", lol. He didn't even have the balls to do it in person.

The article mentions friction between Mooch and Bill Walsh. There is some truth to that, but Terry Donahue may had got into the way , creating tension between them. During one draft, they wouldn't even let Mooch in the War Room, and had zero input into the decision making. Even Walsh felt threatened there. Eventually Donahue of all freaking people won the battle of the front office. Daddy York gave him a fat extension, and then had to fire Donahue one year later.

Listening to the interview as I type. What I don't get is: Harbaugh coached at Stanford. I rarely heard a pip about the student athletes getting into trouble there. It's Stanford, not USC or Florida St.

Oh, before Squawk fan comes in here again, remember the sanctions against USC, a Heisman taken away from Reggie Bush, and the head coach who was there.

Like I said in the former SF thread: CEO's should not Tweet. Hell, the Jed York era has a new name - The Tweet. Resident Jed York acolyte, thecatch, needs to change his alias.

No doubt York did a poor job in the interview, and should have thought up some better responses in advance, but some part of the piling on is uncalled for. His poor PR skills are beyond dispute, but they should be separated from why the decision was made and whether it was the right decision.

He had reasons for the termination but did not want to debate them in public or reveal private conversations. I think he was right not to debate the reasons in public. His much better move would have been to issue a statement and let the reporters and talk show callers debate themselves blue and let the matter cool off over time, and maybe let Baalke field some (limited) questions, because Baalke is quite a bit better and more practiced at it.

My guess (and there are only guesses at this point) is that there are several reasons that led to this: (1) Harbaugh's constant griping for a new contract, sometimes publicly, starting after the first year of a 5 year contract ticked off an owner that is very much against what he sees as overreaching. Witness the stalemate with Crabtree when he wanted over-slot money. Witness the nasty holdouts with Vernon Davis and Alex Boone, the team caving on the latter (reluctantly) only when it was clear that Iupati was not going to be healthy. (2) My guess is that in internal discussions Harbaugh lobbied for his players (whether out of loyalty or the reasonable desire to win) and was viewed as not a team player with management. (3) My further guess is that there were internal disputes about what to do re (particularly) Ray MacDonald and Aldon Smith. York made a point of addressing the team after the last game and warning them not to put themselves in a position to get cut for non-football reasons. (4) My guess is that he is pretty overbearing in private meetings, if he does not receive sufficient praise and does not get his way, and neither York nor Baalke like him (nor does he like them) and they put up with each other as long as the team was winning divisions. (5) My final guess is that his act was wearing thin with some of the players, though for reasons of self preservation they will always say publicly the coach is a great guy.

How great a coach is Harbaugh? He did a fine job at Stanford but exited before we could find out if he could sustain it over the long term and how much was having a once-in-a-generation QB. Some of the 49ers' play calling left me baffled (4 straight passes to Crabtree at the end to lose the SB? Really?) He went 8-8 this year with what seemed to be a playoff caliber team; but you could also make a legit argument that with their starting RT and 2 inside LBs out, it was not his fault. It is clear that the team regressed in performance this year dramatically on offense. Was his usefulness as a turnaround artist nearing an end? If York and Baalke thought so, it's not the kind of thing just announced to the public. If they were convinced he'd be leaving in another year, and did not feel like committing to another 5 year contract, plus he had the opening now at Michigan that he really wanted, it was just time to make the move.

No doubt York did a poor job in the interview, and should have thought up some better responses in advance, but some part of the piling on is uncalled for. His poor PR skills are beyond dispute, but they should be separated from why the decision was made and whether it was the right decision.

He had reasons for the termination but did not want to debate them in public or reveal private conversations. I think he was right not to debate the reasons in public. His much better move would have been to issue a statement and let the reporters and talk show callers debate themselves blue and let the matter cool off over time, and maybe let Baalke field some (limited) questions, because Baalke is quite a bit better and more practiced at it.

My guess (and there are only guesses at this point) is that there are several reasons that led to this: (1) Harbaugh's constant griping for a new contract, sometimes publicly, starting after the first year of a 5 year contract ticked off an owner that is very much against what he sees as overreaching. Witness the stalemate with Crabtree when he wanted over-slot money. Witness the nasty holdouts with Vernon Davis and Alex Boone, the team caving on the latter (reluctantly) only when it was clear that Iupati was not going to be healthy. (2) My guess is that in internal discussions Harbaugh lobbied for his players (whether out of loyalty or the reasonable desire to win) and was viewed as not a team player with management. (3) My further guess is that there were internal disputes about what to do re (particularly) Ray MacDonald and Aldon Smith. York made a point of addressing the team after the last game and warning them not to put themselves in a position to get cut for non-football reasons. (4) My guess is that he is pretty overbearing in private meetings, if he does not receive sufficient praise and does not get his way, and neither York nor Baalke like him (nor does he like them) and they put up with each other as long as the team was winning divisions. (5) My final guess is that his act was wearing thin with some of the players, though for reasons of self preservation they will always say publicly the coach is a great guy.

How great a coach is Harbaugh? He did a fine job at Stanford but exited before we could find out if he could sustain it over the long term and how much was having a once-in-a-generation QB. Some of the 49ers' play calling left me baffled (4 straight passes to Crabtree at the end to lose the SB? Really?) He went 8-8 this year with what seemed to be a playoff caliber team; but you could also make a legit argument that with their starting RT and 2 inside LBs out, it was not his fault. It is clear that the team regressed in performance this year dramatically on offense. Was his usefulness as a turnaround artist nearing an end? If York and Baalke thought so, it's not the kind of thing just announced to the public. If they were convinced he'd be leaving in another year, and did not feel like committing to another 5 year contract, plus he had the opening now at Michigan that he really wanted, it was just time to make the move.
So you're assuming a lot of things for the benefit of Jed York.

It's almost like the 49ers PR department - who used to have posters installed at their own fan forum, and may still do - is now trolling other forums to get their twisted message out.

BTW, they gave Baalke an extension after blowing an entire draft, so pettifogger's 49er PR chapter and verse kinda reads fishy, especially since I have never seen said poster in any of the 49er threads prior.

The Yorks have had the reputation as the one of the worst owners in professional sports. How did that change?

Harbaugh.

Now they fired him for petty reasons other than winning games. Which he did, like Mooch did.

Wow. I think we found a distant cousin of Jed. I think 8-8 this year was remarkable, especially losing two of our best players. I am troubled with the offense. It seems like Extra WRs were brought in and Kap was going to be forced to be a pocket passer. For whatever reason he seemed to be 'allowed' to run more in the last few games and it made a difference. I have no faith in Ked to bring in the right coach, but I have sat through the down years before. Being in NC I wish I was closer to buy PSLs for the 49ers, but then again I can't' imagine what the diehard locals are doing now.

God bless you and let's hope for a miracle........a Seahawk's implosion would be a start. ;)

34 year old football neophyte Jed York doesn't have the experience or the credentials to credibly make the call as to whether Harbaugh was a flash in the pan or not. Given Harbaugh's success, you have to give him an extension and if it doesn't work out, you fire him later and eat a couple million.

thecatch said:
Apparently Harbaugh's refusal to fire Roman may have been the dealbreaker. And of course, Harbaugh didn't even think highly enough of Roman to take Roman with him to Michigan.
The last time they fired an OC during the season, he didn't fare any better than Jimmy Raye.

Of course, doing something like drafting Alshon Jeffery over AJ Jenkins would had helped. Instead, Baalke chooses a host of #2 and #3 WRs, with an aged Boldin as the leading WR, ain't he ain't even responsible for him.

Like my buddy said, how bad is Quentin Patton when you have to go out and get a Brandon Lloyd? Stevie Johnson disappeared as well.

thecatch said:
Apparently Harbaugh's refusal to fire Roman may have been the dealbreaker. And of course, Harbaugh didn't even think highly enough of Roman to take Roman with him to Michigan.
The last time they fired an OC during the season, he didn't fare any better than Jimmy Raye.

Of course, doing something like drafting Alshon Jeffery over AJ Jenkins would had helped. Instead, Baalke chooses a host of #2 and #3 WRs, with an aged Boldin as the leading WR, ain't he ain't even responsible for him.

Like my buddy said, how bad is Quentin Patton when you have to go out and get a Brandon Lloyd? Stevie Johnson disappeared as well.
Would you have been OK if Harbough kept Roman on for next year?

thecatch said:

With a QB like Kaep, do we really know how good/bad any WRs on the roster are? Its not like he can find/hit them.

I'm going to answer both questions with a simple answer: if Frank Gore and Anqaun Boldin are the leaders in the offense, both with over 1000 yards this season BTW...........

Actually, I'm going to leave this unfinished for you to think over.

drummer said:
The Yorks have had the reputation as the one of the worst owners in professional sports. How did that change?

Harbaugh.

Now they fired him for petty reasons other than winning games. Which he did, like Mooch did.
??? I had never heard of the Yorks before this. And I have heard about a lot of other meddling owners.

Users who are viewing this thread