What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official SF 49ers 2015 thread *** Chip Kelly new HC (4 Viewers)

Bruce Hammond said:
Drummer was on an early AM roll there. I think he just passed out afterwards. :)
It's a chore just scrolling through all the ignored posts, can't imagine what it was like reading it all.

Chaz McNulty said:
Not a 49er fan, but I really think people are overstating JH's effect. I think this team is good and unless you hire someone completely inept, I could see the 49ers challenging for the division next year. Does JH not take any of the responsibility for the 8-8 record this year?

I think this would be the best job for any coach to walk into. You just had a team completely underperform and go 8-8. The new coach will look golden if the team plays up to its standard.
Like I said in the '14 thread, he was brought in as an offensive minded guy and the offense was terrible this year. Some of that obviously has to be on him and/or his staff.

I think it's still an attractive job but I'm not hearing any intriguing names out there that are clamoring for the position, either.

The offense was terrible because Baalke has no clue of it. You fire a head coach because the offense had a down season? Here is a clue: they were gonna can him anyway way before the season started.

There is no way or rationalizing how stupid this organization is. The last time they had a credible passing offense, Mooch was coaching it, and they ran him off too.

Eh, wasn't drunk, just tired from work...haven't been to Webzone since last season...I just looked at the 3 names Schefter listed and did a quick wiki check...

:shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, wasn't drunk, just tired from work...haven't been to Webzone since last season...I just looked at the 3 names Schefter listed and did a quick wiki check...

:shrug:
It wouldn't surprise me if McDaniels' name is on the short list. I still think Jim Mora Jr. is the front runner. He can bring Brett Hundley along with him lol.

It's going to be interesting to see what they do with the assistants. After they fired Mooch, they wouldn't let Dennis Erickson bring in his own staff. IIRC, he finally was able to bring them in after Terry Donahue had a "Cap Hell" fire sale with the roster. How weird would it be for Fangio to get passed over for a McDaniels or Mora, or even Tomsula.

Keep the faith!

Well, if offense was the problem:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/29/report-49ers-ask-permission-to-interview-dan-quinn-todd-bowles/

Josina Anderson of ESPN reports that the 49ers have requested permission to interview Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn. Both men moved into their current positions before the 2013 season, so the 49ers have faced them multiple times over the last two years.
I understand putting the feelers out for all types of candidates, but DC's? With Fangio? Because they are both in the NFCW?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/29/report-49ers-ask-permission-to-interview-dan-quinn-todd-bowles/

Josina Anderson of ESPN reports that the 49ers have requested permission to interview Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn. Both men moved into their current positions before the 2013 season, so the 49ers have faced them multiple times over the last two years.
I understand putting the feelers out for all types of candidates, but DC's? With Fangio? Because they are both in the NFCW?
It's almost like the Yorks want to fail. Smh...

Lol, well I don't feel they want to fail, it's just that historically before Harbaugh, they have. The names here might be due to things such as The Rooney Rule and other considerations, like what the fans would like, robbing the Seahawks, etc. But I doubt they pick an outside DC as a HC, when they have Fangio and his staff in place.

If they do pick and outside defensive coach, like Mora Jr., yeah it doesn't make any sense. What would make sense is promoting Fangio, because he can keep his staff, and keep some of the offensive assistants like Tom Rathman. Again, I don't see why a head coach would come to Santa Clara if he can't choose his own assistants. He'll also have Baalke and Marathe shoving their brand of football down his throat, despite what anybody in the local media and in the front office says.

I tuned in a bit to KNBR, the "Flagship" radio station, and jeebus, I can tell they are bought by Jed already. Of course I always knew this, but it seems they are just as concerned with those overpriced PSL's as Jed is at that odd stadium that doesn't have a true HFA, and already has empty seats. Of course, maybe most of the fans there are in the lounges using the free WiFi with their iPads, but empty seats are empty seats. Sheesh.

:wall:

"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/29/jed-york-hold-me-responsible-if-49ers-dont-win-super-bowls/

San Francisco 49ers owner Jed York says after the departure of Jim Harbaugh that the franchise’s only focus is to win Super Bowls, and that York himself should be held accountable by the fans if the 49ers fall short.

“It’s up to us to make sure we compete for and win Super Bowls,” York said. “That’s our only goal. We don’t raise division championship banners, we don’t raise NFC Championship banners. We raise Super Bowl banners. And whenever we don’t deliver that, I hope that you will hold me directly responsible and accountable for it. And we look forward to getting this thing back on track.”

General Manager Trent Baalke echoed those sentiments.

“We accomplished a lot of good things,” Baalke said. “A lot of good things. The ultimate prize in this business is Super Bowls. We all know that, we all understand it, it’s what we sign up for going into it, and we didn’t reach that goal of a victory, but we got very close numerous times, and Jim was a huge part of that. He’s moved on and there’s no doubt he’s a heck of a football coach and he’s going to enjoy success at his next stop where ever that may be.”
Ummm, to get to a Super Bowl means you have to get to the playoffs first, which before Harbaugh, your season really did end before December. Yet you ran off the only coach who took that team to 3 consecutive NFC Championship games and to the Super Bowl during the York era, and now you want to be held accountable going forward?

Seriously, how stupid is Jed York?

This is absolute absurd comedy.

From the comment section of that article, one of the fools that follow Jed:

7ftgriff says: Dec 29, 2014 5:01 PM

I’m a 49ers fan that is grateful for everything Coach Harbaugh did for this team, and am saddened by this divorce.

However, as one of the rare Niner fans that doesn’t hate Jed York, I’ll say this, when he honestly said “We had philospophical discussions, and couldn’t land on the same page” I respected that. Because, no matter what successes this team has enjoyed, there is no denying that this team has regressed offensively.

Harbaugh was too attached to Greg Roman, and Partially carried by the strength of Vic Fangio and an Elite defense.

York and Baalke provided the offense the tools needed for success and the offensive coaching staff couldn’t yield results, period.

Were there injuries? Yes! Were there horrendously officiated games? Yes! Were there unlucky breaks? Yes! but this is a results business, and the 26th ranked offense is not an acceptable result, and the Defense (despite tremendous effort) couldn’t mask it this year.
Here is one more PSL ....sold!

Again, you don't fire - and yes they did fire him months ago - a coach like Harbaugh because the offense stinks for one season. We all know those reasons why. We also can pick apart draft after draft (Hello AJ Jenkins!), FA after FA etc, decisions that are the direct result from the front office. Hell, even Boldin wasn't a decsion made by Baalke, that was all Harbaugh. What this guy doesn't get is that the philosophical difference is between one guy who resurrected offense in San Francisco, and the other who doesn't know how to build one.

I'm gonna take a little trip back in time starting with two years of Mooch, the following season with the other coaches after, and then to Harbaugh:

2001: scored 409 points, 3rd of 32 in the NFL

2002: scored 367 points, 13th of 32

Other head coaches:

2003: scored 384 points, 9th of 32 in the NFL

Note: this is Dennis Erickson's first season, with both Gregg Knapp and Jim Mora retained from Moochie's regime. This was also pre-fire sale of the offense, which still had Jeff Garcia and Terrell Owens.

Post fire sale.....

2004: scored 259 points, 30th of 32

Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary, and the revolving door of offensive coordinators:

2005: scored 239 points, 30th of 32

2006: scored 298 points, 24th of 32

2007: scored 219 points, 32nd of 32

2008: scored 339 points, 22nd of 32

2009: scored 330 points, 18th of 32

2010 scored 305 points, 24th of 32

I'm sure a lot of us here know the impact of scoring in today's NFL, due to new rules in the passing game, elite QB's, etc.

Under Harbaugh (and OC Greg Roman) a relatively conservative coach when it comes to offense:

2011: scored 380 points, 11th of 32

2012: scored 397 points, 11th of 32

2013: scored 406 points, 11th of 32

2014: scored 306 points, 25th of 32

Mooch and Harbaugh were the only head coaches during this time - known as "The York Era" - that has taken the team into the post season, and won post season games.

Somewere, thecatch is ignoring all this...

Yeah, I'm sure the poor sod who posted that comment in the quote field really believes that Jed can turn this around. I'm sure he does. Really.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/29/jed-york-hold-me-responsible-if-49ers-dont-win-super-bowls/

San Francisco 49ers owner Jed York says after the departure of Jim Harbaugh that the franchise’s only focus is to win Super Bowls, and that York himself should be held accountable by the fans if the 49ers fall short.

“It’s up to us to make sure we compete for and win Super Bowls,” York said. “That’s our only goal. We don’t raise division championship banners, we don’t raise NFC Championship banners. We raise Super Bowl banners. And whenever we don’t deliver that, I hope that you will hold me directly responsible and accountable for it. And we look forward to getting this thing back on track.”

“We accomplished a lot of good things,” Baalke said. “A lot of good things. The ultimate prize in this business is Super Bowls. We all know that, we all understand it, it’s what we sign up for going into it, and we didn’t reach that goal of a victory, but we got very close numerous times, and Jim was a huge part of that. He’s moved on and there’s no doubt he’s a heck of a football coach and he’s going to enjoy success at his next stop where ever that may be.”
Ummm, to get to a Super Bowl means you have to get to the playoffs first, which before Harbaugh, your season really did end before December. Yet you ran off the only coach who took that team to 3 consecutive NFC Championship games and to the Super Bowl during the York era, and now you want to be held accountable going forward?

So if Baalke/York hire a coach and make it to the playoffs next year, does that get them off the hook? If they win a Superbowl in the next few seasons does that mean that this was a correct decision because the players had tuned JH out?

I really think you overate JH, by a lot. He's a good coach, but the 49ers have an excellent team. I honestly think they are back in the playoffs next year.

So if Baalke/York hire a coach and make it to the playoffs next year, does that get them off the hook? If they win a Superbowl in the next few seasons does that mean that this was a correct decision because the players had tuned JH out?

I really think you overate JH, by a lot. He's a good coach, but the 49ers have an excellent team. I honestly think they are back in the playoffs next year.
Well, I can post a host of data to show how he wasn't, but data doesn't concern you, and the data will also show they are a longer shot at the post season than you think. Especially if Justin Smith hangs them up.

San Francisco 49ers owner Jed York says after the departure of Jim Harbaugh that the franchises only focus is to win Super Bowls, and that York himself should be held accountable by the fans if the 49ers fall short.

Its up to us to make sure we compete for and win Super Bowls, York said. Thats our only goal. We dont raise division championship banners, we dont raise NFC Championship banners. We raise Super Bowl banners. And whenever we dont deliver that, I hope that you will hold me directly responsible and accountable for it. And we look forward to getting this thing back on track.

We accomplished a lot of good things, Baalke said. A lot of good things. The ultimate prize in this business is Super Bowls. We all know that, we all understand it, its what we sign up for going into it, and we didnt reach that goal of a victory, but we got very close numerous times, and Jim was a huge part of that. Hes moved on and theres no doubt hes a heck of a football coach and hes going to enjoy success at his next stop where ever that may be.

So if Baalke/York hire a coach and make it to the playoffs next year, does that get them off the hook? If they win a Superbowl in the next few seasons does that mean that this was a correct decision because the players had tuned JH out?I really think you overate JH, by a lot. He's a good coach, but the 49ers have an excellent team. I honestly think they are back in the playoffs next year.
They went 6-10 the year before Harbaugh was hired, similar personnel went 13-3 and if it wasn't for multiple Kyle Williams fumbles they would've gone to the Super Bowl.

Besides the bickering with the terrible front office, Kaep clearly regressed, I blame him for not being dedicated more than JH. I hope we cut ties with Kaep by the end of next season unless he shows serious improvement and dedication. Besides that, the defense was not the same. Willis hurt for a good portion of the year, no Bowman, a secondary that wasn't addressed in the draft, Justin Smith starting to finally show signs of age, Aldon Smith suspended for half the year (smart money says he'll earn a full year suspension before the 2015 season starts), and an O-line that started Jonathan Martin (I can blame Harbaugh on that) who hopefully loses his lifeline without JH around.

To not give JH the credit he deserves is insanity!

San Francisco 49ers owner Jed York says after the departure of Jim Harbaugh that the franchises only focus is to win Super Bowls, and that York himself should be held accountable by the fans if the 49ers fall short.

Its up to us to make sure we compete for and win Super Bowls, York said. Thats our only goal. We dont raise division championship banners, we dont raise NFC Championship banners. We raise Super Bowl banners. And whenever we dont deliver that, I hope that you will hold me directly responsible and accountable for it. And we look forward to getting this thing back on track.

We accomplished a lot of good things, Baalke said. A lot of good things. The ultimate prize in this business is Super Bowls. We all know that, we all understand it, its what we sign up for going into it, and we didnt reach that goal of a victory, but we got very close numerous times, and Jim was a huge part of that. Hes moved on and theres no doubt hes a heck of a football coach and hes going to enjoy success at his next stop where ever that may be.

So if Baalke/York hire a coach and make it to the playoffs next year, does that get them off the hook? If they win a Superbowl in the next few seasons does that mean that this was a correct decision because the players had tuned JH out?I really think you overate JH, by a lot. He's a good coach, but the 49ers have an excellent team. I honestly think they are back in the playoffs next year.
They went 6-10 the year before Harbaugh was hired, similar personnel went 13-3 and if it wasn't for multiple Kyle Williams fumbles they would've gone to the Super Bowl.

Besides the bickering with the terrible front office, Kaep clearly regressed, I blame him for not being dedicated more than JH. I hope we cut ties with Kaep by the end of next season unless he shows serious improvement and dedication. Besides that, the defense was not the same. Willis hurt for a good portion of the year, no Bowman, a secondary that wasn't addressed in the draft Justin Smith starting to finally show signs of age, Aldon Smith suspended for half the year (smart money says he'll earn a full year suspension before the 2015 season starts), and an O-line that started Jonathan Martin (I can blame Harbaugh on that) who hopefully loses his lifeline without JH around.

To not give JH the credit he deserves is insanity!
The secondary was addressed in the draft. Jimmy Ward was the first pick. They drafted 3 other DBs along with him, ya johnjohn.

Hoping the 49ers land McDaniels, just so the front office can be the biggest laughing stock ever in the history of football.

This is why I dont feel bad for coaches and GMs when they get fired, they never learn. Why on earth would the 49ers want anyone over Harbaugh? I dont understand it at all.

Baalke needs to go and go now, until he does the 49ers deserve all the bad things that can happen to a franchise. I do not dislike the 49ers or their fans, just cant stand bad bad GMs in the sport. It causes for bad football because of their egos.

Hoping the 49ers land McDaniels, just so the front office can be the biggest laughing stock ever in the history of football.

This is why I dont feel bad for coaches and GMs when they get fired, they never learn. Why on earth would the 49ers want anyone over Harbaugh? I dont understand it at all.

Baalke needs to go and go now, until he does the 49ers deserve all the bad things that can happen to a franchise. I do not dislike the 49ers or their fans, just cant stand bad bad GMs in the sport. It causes for bad football because of their egos.
Because he can't get along with anyone? Ever work for someone you absolutely hate? Or made your life miserable? You can only take it for so long and that's exactly what happened here.

:goodposting:

The best thing for the 49ers is to land Bowles or Quinn. A Defensive coach who knows you need to run the ball and control the game with defense.

Why would you bring in an offensive passing coach for this team?

Because he can't get along with anyone? Ever work for someone you absolutely hate? Or made your life miserable? You can only take it for so long and that's exactly what happened here.
I didnt know getting along was the object of football, I thought it was winning games.

Coaches are paid to win games. Period.

The best thing for the 49ers is to land Bowles or Quinn. A Defensive coach who knows you need to run the ball and control the game with defense.

They have Vic Fangio, who is one of the best DCs in the game already.

I didnt know getting along was the object of football, I thought it was winning games.
Yeah, I get that, but apparently the environment became so toxic that it just couldn't exist anymore regardless of how much they are winning. I can completely understand not wanting to work in a toxic environment. I suppose it's easy to look on in from the outside and dismiss it casually like it's no big deal, but i've worked in toxic environments before and you can only do it so long.

He is awesome, I agree but I am talking for a head coach with the same mentality as whats strong on this team already. Bowles or Quinn can hire a good OC, but at the end of the day a defensive minded head coach for this team is better then an offensive minded one.

Yeah, I get that, but apparently the environment became so toxic that it just couldn't exist anymore regardless of how much they are winning. I can completely understand not wanting to work in a toxic environment. I suppose it's easy to look on in from the outside and dismiss it casually like it's no big deal, but i've worked in toxic environments before and you can only do it so long.
LOL, some people on this site cant get along. People dont get along, its human nature.

Winning games, period. I dont care if Harbaugh cussed out Baalkes mom, his job is to win games not kiss Baalkes butt. He did his job.

He is awesome, I agree but I am talking for a head coach with the same mentality as whats strong on this team already. Bowles or Quinn can hire a good OC, but at the end of the day a defensive minded head coach for this team is better then an offensive minded one.
Yeah, but that would mean they bringing in their own assistants on defense, and the Yorks love Tomsula, who is really overrated as a defensive line coach. They have tried the whole DC as HC thing already, thus many years of offensive futility.

LOL, some people on this site cant get along. People dont get along, its human nature.

Winning games, period. I dont care if Harbaugh cussed out Baalkes mom, his job is to win games not kiss Baalkes butt. He did his job.
Anonymous guys going at it in an FF forum isn't even comparable to having to go to work every day and face the people that you hate or hate you (and have them actively working against you or you them). Dealing with that every day on a human level is stressful and exhausting, regardless of how well things are going. I'm not surprised that something finally gave.

Winning games is obviously important, but at what cost? Apparently the owner decided it wasn't worth it in the long run. there are plenty of good coaches out there. harbaugh isn't the be all and end all of coaches.

Anonymous guys going at it in an FF forum isn't even comparable to having to go to work every day and face the people that you hate or hate you (and have them actively working against you or you them). Dealing with that every day on a human level is stressful and exhausting, regardless of how well things are going. I'm not surprised that something finally gave.

Winning games is obviously important, but at what cost? Apparently the owner decided it wasn't worth it in the long run.
Coaching and being a GM is stressful and exhausting all the time. They cant get along with Millions on the line and a franchise success at stake? What is this, high school?

Winning games is obviously important, but at what cost? Apparently the owner decided it wasn't worth it in the long run.
They hated Mooch too. Look at where that got them.

Jeebus, KNBR is brutal today. Jed York could had fired Bruce Bochy, and they still would justify it.

ETA: of course, Harbaugh didn't make many friends with the local media lol, so they are getting their digs in.

Coaching and being a GM is stressful and exhausting all the time. They cant get along with Millions on the line and a franchise success at stake? What is this, high school?
Sure it is, but apparently this situation was SO toxic it had to end. I'm not sure what else is there to say to you. You've never worked in a toxic environment? Ever? If so, you're still working there, right (because you're not in high school)?

Guess we can finally answer that question... "Who's got it better then us?"

"Michigan"

No. The defense can only do so much. At the end of the day, they need to score points. If they hire a defensive minded coach they will be mired in mediocrity.

The offense was terrible because Baalke has no clue of it. You fire a head coach because the offense had a down season? Here is a clue: they were gonna can him anyway way before the season started.

There is no way or rationalizing how stupid this organization is. The last time they had a credible passing offense, Mooch was coaching it, and they ran him off too.
I think there's a lot of truth to this.

I also think Harbaugh is a world class ##### who rubs people the wrong way.

Let's put it this way, if Harbaugh was your neighbor, you'd have problems with him.

No. The defense can only do so much. At the end of the day, they need to score points. If they hire a defensive minded coach they will be mired in mediocrity.
:goodposting:

Vic has the defense covered.

Let's put it this way, if Harbaugh was your neighbor, you'd have problems with him.
I'd have larger problems with a Bay Area mortgage.

I'd have larger problems with a Bay Area mortgage.
:lol:

It's not that bad once you... no, who am I kidding, it's horribad.

Isnt that what the OC is for?

Isnt that what the OC is for?
Off the top of my head, the list of OC's since 2005:

Mike McCarthy

Norv Turner

Jim Hostler

Mike Martz

Jimmy Raye

Mike Johnson

Greg Roman

Somewhere between all this they went from a WCO to a Coryell based offense, to a Michigan offense, to a Chris Ault offense......

I think an offensive head coach is in order.

Are maybe no ones giving Baalke enough credit. Maybe he could see the effect that Harbaugh was having on the team. Maybe 10 of the veterans went up to him and implored him to make changes. Maybe he could see that the team was tuning JH out (which would explain an 8-8 season).

I don't really believe that JH would have gotten more from the team next year. Every sportscast I listen to talks about how JH has a 3-4 year window before it gets toxic. 8-8 was the start of toxic with a team that talented.

My take (keeping in mind I have never met any of these people, and am basing my opinion on watching games, reading internet reporting of varying credibility, and a little on listening to press conferences and interviews over the years):

Sounds like Harbaugh is very difficult to work with, got the highest contract for a first year head coach ever handed out (after being told no, you can't have a contract richer than Belichek's, and having Miami refuse to top SF's offer) then continually #####ed and whined for a renegotiation, almost constantly from day one. At the outset he was told no, we are not going to repeat the mistake we made under Nolan and combine the coach and GM function, Baalke controls roster decisions, and he agreed to that arrangement but then chafed under it the whole time. He stepped into a team that was on an upswing after a salary cap purge and some reasonably good drafts, and rode the wave upward. He probably coaches a little like Billy Martin coached baseball teams, riding young players hard and getting good initial results, but wearing out his welcome over time.

The irony is the same thing that makes him hyper-competitive as a coach made him a constant irritant to team management, always trying to come out on top, and he didn't know when to turn it off. If a team gets to the playoffs every year, they'll put up with the coach being a jerk, reluctantly. If the team goes 8-8, well, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

He made a big point earlier in the year of showing up management at the opening press ceremony for the new stadium, holding a practice so late as to interfere with the schedule and showing up late for the event in a track suit instead of a business suit and standing at the back, pouting, saying this is not my party -- maybe he felt slighted by management over some injustice, but the way he chose to show it with a deliberate snub to ownership gave me the impression that his days were numbered.

I do not look at it as such a major loss to the 49ers. I look at it as, we just lost the last contract year of someone who was going to be a free agent after next year, and was certainly going to be gone anyway. My biggest regret is that we didn't squeeze a draft pick out of Cleveland for him a year ago.

Users who are viewing this thread