What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** San Diego (?) Chargers 2016 Offseason Thread (3 Viewers)

Bad season to have a top 5 pick.
It's o.k., they'll have a top 5 pick next year too. Maybe top 2. Unless of course they do their unnecessary panic trade up to pick a player they didn't need to trade up for and don't really need anyway routine and give away next year's 1st in the process.

So the latest hair-brained scheme is the NFL, SD tax payers, and SD busines(in the form of a hotel tax) give the Spanos family more than a billion dollars to build a stadium for Spanos? JFC, how about they just put that money towards buying the team from that wretched family? I don't think the Packers are going to get blackmailed into building a new drinking fountain and they seem to be doing fine record-wise.

That way Spanos and sons can just invest all their time begging for people that are competent at their jobs and make their own $ to give them some of it on some crowd-funding site. At least sell some marked up oranges at an overpass, the world needs more vitamin C. It's completely disgusting watching them finally "get serious" about begging for $ to keep their overpriced, shoddy product in San Diego. Shame on 'Gunz or anyone else spending a dime or vote on the LA Chargers.

I want to keep the Chargers, but I am not on board with this new proposal. I hate the PR spin going on,a nd I het how easily the supporters of it are eating it up and not hearing any opposition. Raising a tax and spending that money are separate issues. Just because the Chargers think they have an original idea to raise a tax doesn't mean it's free money, and it doesn't money they should get that money. I'm totally cool with raising the hotel tax. Let's do it. It's too low compared to comparative markets. Thing is, that money goes directly into the general fund. That's how it works. Once it is in there, let's revisit the budget. 

OK, it has been nearly a month since this post, so time for an update. Current depth chart looks something like this:

• Offense (19)

QB - Rivers, Clemens
  • OL - LT Dunlap, LG Franklin, C Watt, RG Fluker, RT Barksdale, Hairston, Wiggins, Robinson
  • RB - Gordon, Woodhead, Oliver
  • WR - Allen, Benjamin, Johnson, Inman
  • TE - Gates, Cumberland

[*]Defense (25)

• DL - Liuget, Mebane, Carrethers, Lissemore, Palepoi, Square, Philon
  • OLB - Ingram, Attaochu, Emanuel, Tourek Williams, Law, Hekking
  • ILB - Perryman, Teo, McCoil, Dzunbar
  • CB - Verrett, Flowers, Hayward, Steve Williams, Mager
  • S - Lowery, Addae, Stuckey

[*]Special Teams (3)

• LS - Windt
  • K - Lambo
  • P - Scifres

My view on how this looks today:

1. That leaves 6 spots open for the final 53. The Chargers have 8 draft picks, and they could potentially trade down in the first round and add one or more picks. Regardless, I expect at least 6 rookies (potentially including UDFAs) to make the final roster.
  2. IMO addressing the center position should be the team's top priority right now. Here is how I would do it:

Robinson should be released. He was the worst C in the NFL last season and is due to count $2.375M against the cap if on the roster, but only carries $75K in dead cap space.
  3. Draft the best center available in the second round.
  4. Sign veteran free agent C Stefen Wisniewski. He should cost no more than Robinson is set to cost now, maybe a bit less.
  5. Move Watt to the bench, where the group of Wisniewski, Watt, Hairston, and Wiggins provide good OL depth.

[*]The next priority should be DL. Despite having 7 DL identified above, it is one of the weaker DL groups in the league as it stands today. I'd like to see two DL drafted at minimum. That implies 1-2 of the guys above could be released. Since all of these players were brought in by Telesco, it's hard to guess who could be let go.

[*]Cumberland is the only proven TE behind Gates, who will be 36 before the season and played less than 50% of the team's offensive snaps last season. Cumberland is known as a good blocker, but I don't expect much out of him as a receiver. That means if Gates goes down, the offense will take a hit in the passing game. The team has to do something to address this.

[*]I think the team has to draft a safety, ideally someone good enough to start over Addae. Obviously, if they take Jalen Ramsey, he will start and upgrade the safety position. I would prefer to draft DL in the first and look for a safety in the third. If Telesco trades down in the first, Ramsey presumably will be taken out of consideration, so they will hopefully do that. If not, however, my guess is that TT takes Ramsey and then looks for a couple DL in rounds 3+.

[*]The team needs depth at ILB, especially given how challenged Teo has been to stay on the field. I don't think McCoil and Dzubnar are enough. Draft or veteran free agent? I was a bit surprised the team cut Conner. Could they bring him back, or has he signed elsewhere?

[*]The team has no fullback on the roster. They need to add one, particularly given Gordon's struggles without one last season. I expect a late round pick (6th or later) to be used to address this.

[*]The team should release Scifres if he doesn't voluntarily retire... and I doubt he will because he is still set to make a hefty salary this season (more than $3.5M). His cap hit ($4.16M vs. $600K in dead cap if released) is far too high, especially considering he played poorly last season. The team should sign a cheap vet or bring in a couple UDFAs to compete for the position.

[*]The Chargers should not draft any players at these positions unless really compelling value falls to them: QB, WR, RB (not including FB), OLB, or CB (or K, P, LS, of course).

If they follow my plan above, they could end up with this:

• Offense (22)

QB - Rivers, Clemens
  • OL - LT Dunlap, LG Franklin, C ? (rookie), RG Fluker, RT Barksdale, Wisniewski, Watt, Hairston, Wiggins
  • RB - Gordon, Woodhead, Oliver
  • WR - Allen, Benjamin, Johnson, Inman
  • TE - Gates, Cumberland, ? (rookie or vet)
  • FB - ? (rookie or vet)

[*]Defense (28)

• DL - Liuget, Mebane, ? (rookie), ? (rookie), Carrethers, Lissemore, Palepoi, Square, Philon
  • OLB - Ingram, Attaochu, Emanuel, Tourek Williams, Law or Hekking
  • ILB - Perryman, Teo, ? (rookie or vet), McCoil, Dzunbar
  • CB - Verrett, Flowers, Hayward, Steve Williams, Mager
  • S - Lowery, ? (rookie), Addae, Stuckey

[*]Special Teams (3)

• LS - Windt
  • K - Lambo
  • P - ? (rookie or vet)

It seems possible, maybe likely, that the team might keep an extra DB, in which case they would presumably drop a DL. Otherwise, I hope this is pretty close. Mostly veteran offense. Mostly young defense and special teams.

In comparison to last year, this roster should be improved across the board:

• Better OL with big upgrade at C, better depth, and hopefully better health. Maybe better coaching too.
  • Better running game due to improved OL and adding FB and Cumberland. And hopefully better playcalling/coaching.
  • Better passing game due to improved OL, adding Benjamin, and hopefully better health from Allen and Stevie.
  • Better pass rush due to improved DL... and hopefully improved defensive backfield.
  • Better run defense due to improved DL and Perryman replacing Butler's snaps... though not sure if the defensive backfield will be as good against the run without Weddle.
  • Potential for better pass defense due to improved pass rush... this would really be better if Flowers rebounds, Verrett can play 16, and/or if Mager improves.
  • Potential for better special teams with Lambo in second season, Benjamin returning punts, and possibly with better punting.
Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
God that dline sucks. Have to take best player on the dline at 3
Agreed. But add Buckner/Bosa as a starter and another good rookie DL from 3rd or 4th round, and it looks a lot better. I prefer Buckner over Bosa, personally. This is why I prefer not taking Ramsey at 1.3 and trading down, if possible.

Well, we dodged a bullet because Carson Wentz will NOT be going to the Chiefs or Broncos.  He is Los Angeles bound.

I've been thinking about it and there actually is a new threat here.  The Browns may have been targeting Wentz and they might panic and trade down instead of taking Goff.  That might mean the Chiefs or broncos trade up for Goff, which would be just as bad.

I don't see Tunsil in play after they re-signed Dunlap last year and re-signed Barksdale and Hairston this year. What are you going to do, put Dunlap and his $5M cap hit on the bench when you need starters at C, DL, and S? Unless you are suggesting his availability could open up a trade down possibility.

IMO they should trade down if possible. If not, they should take Buckner at 1.3 and the best C available at 2.3.

Schedule:

• Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 11, at Kansas City, 1 p.m.
  • Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 18, Jacksonville, 4:25 p.m.
  • Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 25, at Indianapolis, 4:25 p.m.
  • Week 4: Sunday, Oct. 2, New Orleans, 4:25 p.m.
  • Week 5: Sunday, Oct. 9, at Oakland, 4:25 p.m.
  • Week 6: Thursday, Oct. 13, Denver, 8:25 p.m.
  • Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 23, at Atlanta, 4:05 p.m.
  • Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 30, at Denver, 4:05 p.m.
  • Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 6, Tennessee, 4:25 p.m.
  • Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 13, Miami, 4:05 p.m.
  • Week 11: BYE
  • Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 27, at Houston, 1 p.m.
  • Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 4, Tampa Bay, 4:25 p.m.
  • Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 11, at Carolina, 1 p.m.
  • Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 18, Oakland, 4:25 p.m.
  • Week 16: Saturday, Dec. 24, at Cleveland, 1 p.m.
  • Week 17: Sunday, Jan. 1, Kansas City, 4:25 p.m.
9 wins looks like a best case scenario. I could actually see 7 wins at home (best case), but hard to project more than 2 road wins. Also, there had been some local talk radio speculation that the NFL might try to make their first half schedule weak to bolster their record in advance of a stadium vote... they didn't do that.

I could see a 6-8 win season.  I am guessing a split of KC and Oak.  Miami and Minn could go either way.  A lot depends on Denver's QB play as well.  

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
5 or 6 wins. Man they need to hit home runs with their first two picks. 
If they finish below .500, McCoy should be gone, and maybe Telesco, too.

Come one, people. Have some faith. Colts sucked last year. That's winnable. Denver has Mark Sanchez penciled in at QB right now. I'm not handing them any victories in April. Jacksonville, Miami, Houston, Tampa, Tennessee, Cleveland; all winnable. Atlanta sucked last year. Yeah, they could go back to winning, but guess what? So can the Chargers. I'm excited to see Rivers with Allen back and Benjamin stretching the field. Everybody in here ready to cede to the Raiders? #### that. Sweep them, split the rest of the division. Win most of the games I mentioned, win a couple I didn't. 10-6/11-5

Weird draft this year. I dont see that cant miss impact player.

Yet the titans just got a big haul for #1 and the browns might for #2.

So who is the best non qb in this draft??? Just take bosa? His hype seemed to have cooled. Tunsil?  Ramsey might be but the secondary might actullay be the best part of the defense. Would love to trade back and snag extra picks. But if wentz/goff arent there. No one will trade up

Weird draft this year. I dont see that cant miss impact player.

Yet the titans just got a big haul for #1 and the browns might for #2.

So who is the best non qb in this draft??? Just take bosa? His hype seemed to have cooled. Tunsil?  Ramsey might be but the secondary might actullay be the best part of the defense. Would love to trade back and snag extra picks. But if wentz/goff arent there. No one will trade up

IMO they should trade down if possible. If not, they should take Buckner at 1.3 and the best C available at 2.3.

I don't see Tunsil in play after they re-signed Dunlap last year and re-signed Barksdale and Hairston this year. What are you going to do, put Dunlap and his $5M cap hit on the bench when you need starters at C, DL, and S? Unless you are suggesting his availability could open up a trade down possibility.

It seems to me that Dunlap is perfectly capable of sidelining himself. Tunsil seemingly provides an upgrade over all three. Maybe it's not the biggest position of need, but it's an important enough position that it should be properly addressed instead of filled with stop-gap players.

That being said, I'd be pretty happy with Ramsey or Buckner at #3 also.

It seems to me that Dunlap is perfectly capable of sidelining himself. Tunsil seemingly provides an upgrade over all three. Maybe it's not the biggest position of need, but it's an important enough position that it should be properly addressed instead of filled with stop-gap players.
I'm not saying that Telesco has 'properly' addressed the OT position, but consider that all of these currently rostered players have started games at OT in the NFL: Dunlap, Barksdale, Fluker, Franklin, Hairston, Burwell. Telesco drafted or signed all of them, in some cases twice. Four of the Chargers' current starting OL have played the majority of their NFL careers as starting OTs... all but Watt.

Furthermore, while the entire OL has been a big problem for two years running, the main problem has been the interior line play, not the tackles. Upgrading at center is a must, and that plus better health (and better coaching?) should mean much improved OL play even if no OTs are added to the current group.

I agree that Tunsil would immediately be the best OT on the roster, I just don't think he provides the bang for the buck at 1.3 that Buckner (or Bosa or Ramsey) would, based on the team's needs and current personnel.

I've been thinking about it and there actually is a new threat here.  The Browns may have been targeting Wentz and they might panic and trade down instead of taking Goff.  That might mean the Chiefs or broncos trade up for Goff, which would be just as bad.
Given what teams are paying to move up into the top spots these days, I'd be happy if the Chiefs or Broncos did that to themselves.

Maurile Tremblay said:
Given what teams are paying to move up into the top spots these days, I'd be happy if the Chiefs or Broncos did that to themselves.
Draft picks are overrated.  Those two teams are a star QB from a super bowl.  If I was running either team, I'd go get that super bowl.  

The Chargers are in a different boat.  They got the QB but just can't seem to find the pass rush despite taking multiple shots in the draft.  Just very, very unlucky, usually one pans out by now but none did.  That's not a reason to deviate from the plan.  They should try finding more pass rush this draft.

If the Browns take Jalen Ramsey and don't trade out, do the Chargers take Tunsil or do they trade out for a team who wants a QB?

Last season I would have said Tunsil...but they loaded up their poor O line. It still sucks, but Tunsil would be redundant.

I think trade down or go Bosa/Buckner

Although every mock seems to be crazy about Ramsey...

Listened to Chargers radio on the way home and they were having people call in to play GM for the first pick. One guy said they should go QB at 1.3, no matter who was left. :crazy:

Everyone else I heard said Tunsil. I really hope the Chargers don't do that. I have heard many people say they should take Tunsil, because there are so many quality DL in this draft, they could take one at 2.3. The problem with that IMO is that center is the #1 priority for the team, and I think they should take the best center available at 2.3. If they do that, then taking Tunsil at 1.3 means not addressing defense before the third round. That seems like a bad outcome IMO.

No one is trading up that high for a DB. Tunsil maybe, but everyone know the Chargers and Cowboys aren't going T. It's going to be real hard to find a dance partner for #3. 

Anyone know anything about Eddie Brown, writer for the San Diego Union-Tribune? He posted this mock draft on Thursday, in which he characterizes the team's top needs as DL, OT, OG, S, TE

Just seeing that makes me want to disregard his entire mock draft. No mention of center, the team's biggest need IMO, but supposedly big needs at OG and OT, where the team has signed/re-signed/extended 7 players in the past two offseasons who are likely to make this year's roster (Dunlap, Barksdale, Fluker, Franklin, Hairston, Wiggins, Burwell... OK, maybe Burwell won't make the roster.)

His Chargers mock draft:

• 1.3 (3) - OT Laremy Tunsil, Ole Miss
  • 2.4 (35) - DT Vernon Butler, Louisiana Tech
  • 3.3 (66) - TE Austin Hooper, Stanford
  • 4.4 (102) - C Jack Allen, Michigan State
  • 5.36 (175) - WR Paul McRoberts, SE Missouri State
  • 6.4 (179) - SS Kavon Frazier, Central Michigan
  • 6.23 (198) - QB Kevin Hogan, Stanford
  • 7.3 (224) - DT Vincent Valentine, Nebraska
Here is a draft I would like a lot better if the same players were present at all of his picks:

• 1.3 (3) - DT DeForest Buckner, Oregon State
  • 2.4 (35) - DE Jonathan Bullard, Florida
  • 3.3 (66) - SS Karl Joseph, West Virginia
  • 4.4 (102) - C Jack Allen, Michigan State
  • 5.36 (175) - TE Jake McGee, Florida
  • 6.4 (179) - ILB Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame
  • 6.23 (198) - OG/OT Joe Thuney, NC State :-)homer:, but he is a steal here)
  • 7.3 (224) - FB Dan Vitale, Northwestern
My version of this draft adds the following:

• Two premier DL to the rotation with Mebane and Liuget, reducing lesser players Carrethers, Lissemore, et al. to fewer snaps, which could make them better but at minimum keeps them from hurting the team as much.
  • Starting center.
  • Future starting SS, assuming he recovers fully from his injury (so maybe not this year). Some people have him pegged as the best DB in the draft.
  • Solid receiving TE prospect behind Gates.
  • Starting LB in Smith, should he recover fully from his injury. Worth the gamble; without the injury, he would have been a first rounder.
  • Great value OG/OT in Thuney to improve OL depth. Thuney had arguably the best combine among OL this year, and played very well at State.
  • Quality FB to help Gordon.
It was tempting to draft a center at 2.4, and I would have if Kelly was still there.

I am skeptical that Joseph will make it to the third round. In fact, I expect he will go in the first round.

Both of these drafts resulted in drafting C, OL, 2 DL, SS. His adds WR and QB; mine adds ILB and FB, both of which are much greater needs.

After the draft, I'd sign 2-3 UDFA punters and let them battle it out for Scifres' job.

Thoughts?

Man, this roster sucks. If they think Tunsil has perennial all-pro potential for a decade or so, they need to take him. They've got dross at OL now, nobody they have there is a reason not to take Tunsil in that case. Similarly if they go DT. But if they don't think anyone they could take at 3 would be a perennial all pro, they should trade the #### out of that spot for more picks to anyone who thinks otherwise.

NFL Network suggesting that the Chargers are making up their minds between Tunsil and Stanley.
That suggestion is silly. The draft hasn't even started yet. Why would they start making up their minds now when there will be plenty of time once they're on the clock later?

Seriously, the NFL Network is dumb.

That suggestion is silly. The draft hasn't even started yet. Why would they start making up their minds now when there will be plenty of time once they're on the clock later?

Seriously, the NFL Network is dumb.
Well, they do know which players will be available to them with the pick. I'm not sure clearing their minds and thinking about something else until they are on the clock is all that effective of a strategy either.

We can only hope the Stanley rumors are misinformation. 
If the hint actually came from the Chargers, as opposed to just out of Mayock's butt, it has to be misinformation. Probably trying to induce phone calls from other teams, saying "Hey, why don't you trade down a few spots with us and you'll still be able to get Stanley?"

Well, they do know which players will be available to them with the pick. I'm not sure clearing their minds and thinking about something else until they are on the clock is all that effective of a strategy either.
Sarcasm. They're obviously not deciding right now because they already did.

ESPN chick from SD said Telesco is trying to move down but will take Buckner or Stanley if they have to stand pat.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. But I don't think I hate it. The D line is awful, so if Bosa can come in and give them a high quality player there for 5 to 10 years (and no one they passed on becomes a dominant player) it's not a horrible pick. I feel like maybe Ramsey should have been the guy, but the questions about whether he can stick at CB don't make him a slam dunk. I have to believe they couldn't find a way to trade down.

So, who are we hoping to get in round 2? I doubt Jack will make it to the Chargers' spot, but if he did, do you roll the dice on him? Go with one of the Alabama DTs?

So, who are we hoping to get in round 2? I doubt Jack will make it to the Chargers' spot, but if he did, do you roll the dice on him? Go with one of the Alabama DTs?
IMO the Chargers are not in position to roll the dice on anyone with their second round pick. So, no to Jack.

IMO the choice is either C Martin or another DL, either DT Reed (Bama) or DT Bullard (Florida). I think I'd have to lean towards Martin, since he would start from day one, and center is the team's top need right now, especially after the Bosa selection. If Martin is gone, then DL.

You have a bajillion holes to fill and you use your second round pick to fill a hole you created on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread