What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** San Diego (?) Chargers 2016 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Gr00vus said:
I don't know what to think at this point. I'm glad McCoy is gone, but I don't know what to hope for (a good coach, but I have no idea who that might be). Telesco has been a mixed bag, overall I think he's been below average simply because he hasn't done enough to get all pro talent on the lines. It'll look worse on his account if Verret and Gordon continue to miss significant time due to injuries. Hopefully he learns that he's been able to find good talent after the 1st 2 rounds and starts expanding his lower round picks rather than shedding them. If he can't do that, it's time for him to go.
I'm just not sure if this is a lesson he's willing or able to learn. It would be one thing if he was trying to tinker with a roster that just needed an impact player or two. But this is a roster that has gone into every draft needing more starters than they have draft picks. That won't change anytime soon as the current OL has a starting center and...... ? I can't believe they will be rebuilding that mess from scratch AGAIN. And before someone jumps in to remind me that the stiffs that performed at those different position may still be under contract, YES I know they have horrible players under contract. You don't draft this early year after year if you don't have horrible players under contract already. The point is to get better players under contract and hopefully start finishing a little higher in the standings and drafting a little later. 

The Patriots spent a first rounder on Solder yes, but they have the best record in the NFL and their LG Thuney was drafted in the 3rd, RG Mason was drafted in the 4th, RT Cannon was drafted in the 5th, and C Andrews was an UDFA. I realize the coaching is better but it still proves you can get starting OL talent all through the draft... but you have to be willing to keep/acquire draft picks and actually use them on the OL. Add in Karras(6th round)/Jackson(4th round)/Fleming(4th round) and the entire OL and the depth behind it was drafted and developed by NE. And don't tell me that NE is just seeing diamonds in the rough that nobody else can see because Thuney/Mason/Jackson/Fleming were all highly thought of going into the draft and should have been targets for SD imo. 

So is Whisenhunt a lock to return as OC? Seems like every Charger HC candidate is a defensive coordinator. Lions, TB, CAR..... and none of those teams had all that great a defense last season.

Still say they should hire Wade Phillips as HC. Either keep Whis as OC or hire Chip Kelly as OC. 

So is Whisenhunt a lock to return as OC? Seems like every Charger HC candidate is a defensive coordinator. Lions, TB, CAR..... and none of those teams had all that great a defense last season.

Still say they should hire Wade Phillips as HC. Either keep Whis as OC or hire Chip Kelly as OC. 
Would a new HC want Whis? I suppose it is possible, since it would mean Rivers and the rest of the offense wouldn't have to learn a new system. The team did just finish 9th in points and 14th in yards, despite the lousy OL and loss of Allen, Gordon, Woodhead, and Stevie, and the team finished 5th in yards in Whis's first stint as OC in 2013. The Chargers were dead last in turnovers this season, but they were 10th best in 2013, so it seems like this issue is correctable.

So I could see Whis sticking. That said, I certainly hope Spanos gives the new HC the choice and doesn't force Whis, Pagano, or any other assistants on him.

Chip Kelly as OC would be interesting, but I think he will likely sit out a year, holding out for a college or NFL HC job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a new HC want Whis? I suppose it is possible, since it would mean Rivers and the rest of the offense wouldn't have to learn a new system. The team did just finish 9th in points and 14th in yards, despite the lousy OL and loss of Allen, Gordon, Woodhead, and Stevie, and the team finished 5th in yards in Whis's first stint as OC in 2013. The Chargers were dead last in turnovers this season, but they were 10th best in 2013, so it seems like this issue is correctable.

So I could see Whis sticking. That said, I certainly hope Spanos gives the new HC the choice and doesn't force Whis, Pagano, or any other assistants on him.

Chip Kelly as OC would be interesting, but I think he will likely sit out a year, holding out for a college or NFL HC job.
Well, if they cowtow to Rivers his stance is always "keep the band together!" so I think that weighs heavily in Whis's favor. I also think the emergence of Gordon makes Whis a little more cemented into his job despite other coaching changes. At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if Whis got his nose bent out of joint if he is passed over by less qualified candidates and I haven't really heard his name mentioned as a possible replacement. 

Based on what I've been reading it sounds like Kelly is fine just being an OC if it means staying in the NFL. In a situation where he is paired with an older DC-type-coach like Phillips he would not only have autonomy on the offense but would likely have a path to a HC job if they were successful together and Phillips retires soon. It just seems like a win-win-win all the way around to me. They never should have let Wade Phillips leave imo.

So shut this thing down? I'm out for sure. San Diego was my appeal. If the team isn't here they can go #### themselves. 

I hope the NFL makes them rebrand. It really would help them in LA, and it would be nice to keep the Chargers here.

I'll support them in LA. They can't do worse than in San diego. Stadium never sold out, other fans in majority, voters said no. So oh well. Voters Get what they voted for. 

It really was a god awful stadium.
It was where I saw my first NFL game and firs MLB game. Based on how my body feels when I get out of bed in the morning, I feel for the old dump.  

This is a bummer for sure.  I'm not sure what I'll do come fall. 

Think I might be done - with the team, with FF, with the NFL. It's tough to get past all the lousy personalities and greed, I don't really want to continue supporting these people with my time, attention and money. Not much fun about it anymore.

Think I might be done - with the team, with FF, with the NFL. It's tough to get past all the lousy personalities and greed, I don't really want to continue supporting these people with my time, attention and money. Not much fun about it anymore.
While it sadness me. Over the years im become more of a ffl/nfl fan. I root for the bolts and i look weird being the only guy in detroit with chargers gear on.....im not dropping everything.... I would feel alot different if i lived in sd im guessing...... I will not buy any LA schwag........yet......if they arent the chargers though....id probably just be a lions fan.......ugh.............

Spanos has to pay $650MM in transfer fees and was offered $300MM by the NFL.  He couldn't get a stadium built with a $1B head start?  Screw him.  The Chargers will be behind the Lakers, Dodgers, UCLA, USC, Rams, Angels, Kings, Clippers, and Raiders in the LA sports fan pecking order.  Good luck with that.

I couldn't stand Spanos when he was in SD, but it was the team I grew up with so I dealt with it.  I'm sure as hell not going to support his team in LA

Last edited by a moderator:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
While it sadness me. Over the years im become more of a ffl/nfl fan. I root for the bolts and i look weird being the only guy in detroit with chargers gear on.....im not dropping everything.... I would feel alot different if i lived in sd im guessing...... I will not buy any LA schwag........yet......if they arent the chargers though....id probably just be a lions fan.......ugh.............
oh good god gb...oooffffff T&Ps

Anthony Lynn is deserving of a HC job and I'm glad he got one. I hope that he does well. Sucks for him walking into such a messed up situation though. Although still better than ending up the HC in Buffalo I'm sure.

Anthony Lynn is deserving of a HC job and I'm glad he got one. I hope that he does well. Sucks for him walking into such a messed up situation though. Although still better than ending up the HC in Buffalo I'm sure.
I will readily admit that you know far more about Anthony Lynn than I do, but based on what I know about Spanos as a former Charger fan I just assumed Lynn got the job because he was willing to pay for his own bus ticket to show up for the interview.

Users who are viewing this thread