What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** San Diego (?) Chargers 2016 Offseason Thread (3 Viewers)

Back to football:

• TE Ladarius Green - in line for a raise; will he want to be back after arguably being misused by the Chargers for 2 years? is his potential return tied to Gates, i.e., if Gates is back, does that mean Green is gone?
If Green leaves and turns into a stud somewhere else I will be pissed.
Given that they gave McCoy and extension, I think Green would be crazy to stay given McCoy's seeming unwillingness to make Green a bigger part of the offense even when Gates was out. Maybe that was all Frank Reich and McCoy will be able to sell Green that it'll be different now. Imagine Green in New Orleans for instance.
NO would be one of the best landing spots but I'm not sure they have the cap space. GB or NE would be good destinations as well. If Green goes back to SD then he's not interested in being the best player he can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay or go?

1) Decide to leave now and they will be the 11th most popular sports team in LA and tenants with a likely not very wonderful lease from Kroenke. There is also the question of where to play next year. My understanding is that the Coliseum does not want three teams to play in 2016 and the Rose Bowl doesn't want a second team. Maybe cash alleviates those objections, but... you never know.

2) Sign the Qualcomm lease extension and notify the NFL that you are playing in SD for 2016. Putting off hard decisions isn't new for Dean Spanos and wait until after the referendum. They would still have until Jan 2017 to exercise their option to move into Kroenke's pleasure dome. But this risks a rejection by the voters who will be barraged by ads saying that public funds shouldn't be squandered to benefit millionaires. The backlash from a failed referendum would likely hurt the team and the team's revenue in 2016.

3) Sit down and try to negotiate some concrete stadium financing plan before the lease and NFL deadlines has risks. Fabiani at a table with Faulconer? Better to bet on the poor crippled Steelers to win the Super Bowl than to bet on that marriage made in Hell.

4) Once the Chargers exercise their option to move in with the Rams things get even more interesting. The Raiders, who presumably will not have a wonderful stadium plan in Oakland, might make a pitch to move to San Diego. There are always a lot of Silver and Black jerseys in the stands whenever they play here.

5) If the Chargers choice is to let their option expire, the Raiders have an option to move in with the Rams. If Spanos feared one team in LA hurting his revenue base, imagine how he would feel about two teams?

Thanks Rivers! Thanks Gates! We will remember your efforts on behalf of a management which never understood how to build around your talents. Thanks Weddle! We wish you the chance to get yourself a ring and regret the shabby treatment you received this year from an ungrateful management.

The Chargers fired six coaches today. I believe this is now the current staff after those firings:

Head Coach - Mike McCoy

Offensive Coordinator - Frank Reich Ken Whisenhunt (2015 Titans head coach)

Special Assistant to the Head Coach/Offense - Mark Ridgley

Offensive Line - Joe D'Alessandris Jeff Davidson (2015 Vikings OL coach)
Asst. Offensive Line - Andrew Dees
Quarterbacks - Nick Sirianni Shane Steichen (2015 Chargers offense QC coach)
Running Backs - Ollie Wilson
Wide Receivers - Fred Graves Nick Sirianni (2015 Chargers QB coach)
Tight Ends - Pete Metzelaars
Quality Control, Offense - Shane Steichen

Defensive Coordinator - John Pagano
Defensive Line - Don Johnson Giff Smith (2015 Titans DL coach)
Linebackers - Mike Nolan Bob Babich (2015 Jaguars Defensive Coordinator)
Asst. Linebackers - Bobby King
Secondary - Ron Milus
Asst. Secondary - Greg Williams

Quality Control, Defense - Chris Shula

Special Teams - Craig Aukerman

Strength and Conditioning - Kent Johnston

Asst. Strength and Conditioning - Rick Lyle

Not sure if this is the entire coaching staff, since the staff seems unbalanced, i.e., 9 offensive coaches (not including McCoy) vs. 7 defensive coaches; assistant OL coach but no assistant DL coach, etc.

Could have been better (if the entire staff was fired) but also could have been worse (if no one on staff was fired).

I get firing Reich (who I thought should have been fired last offseason), and I get the OL and DL coaches, although IMO the DL coach was hampered by poor personnel thanks to Telesco and AJ before him.

But I don't really get the WR and TE coaches. Not saying they were great, but were those really problem areas? IMO you could argue the secondary was a bigger problem area than either WR or TE.

Thoughts?
Mike Nolan out, Whisenhunt and Babich in. On the surface, these look like two good hires, though it isn't clear if Nolan to Babich is an upgrade, downgrade, or neutral move.

Immediate reaction may be to assume Whisenhunt can recreate the 2013 offensive success, and I hope he can. But he has different OL, WRs, and RBs (and maybe TEs) to work with, along with a head coach on the hot seat. It will be interesting to see how much difference those things make.
More updates to the coaching staff. Still some holes to fill.

Did we just lose like half the regular Chargers "fans" on this board to the Rams?
All my local buddies told me they're out if they move.
Makes no sense. I live in Los Angeles and regularly drove down to SD to see them. Tell your buddies to stop being #####es.
I think it's really too abstract to decide for certain. I've had years where I topd myself I wasn't going to care as much, and then the pads go on, the whistle blows and I'm screaming at the tv again. Right now they feel betrayed. I don't blame them for that. Let's see what happens in September. Chargers will lose a big chunk of fans. I'm just not sure how big a chunk.

Did we just lose like half the regular Chargers "fans" on this board to the Rams?
Makes no sense. I live in Los Angeles and regularly drove down to SD to see them. Tell your buddies to stop being #####es.
I live in OC and would much rather drive to SD then LA for a game. :boxing:

More importantly, will SD fans embrace the Raiders if they move to SD?

and back to the thread... Rivers passes on Pro Bowl Invite for 2nd straight year.

I think it's really too abstract to decide for certain. I've had years where I topd myself I wasn't going to care as much, and then the pads go on, the whistle blows and I'm screaming at the tv again. Right now they feel betrayed. I don't blame them for that. Let's see what happens in September. Chargers will lose a big chunk of fans. I'm just not sure how big a chunk.
They don't have much of a fan base in LA and fans in San Diego aren't going to LA for games.

Maybe they will try to convert Raiders fans before the Raiders move to Ssn Diego.

So they're staying...at least one more year.

My question is...if they did decide to leave...where would they go?

The new stadium won't be ready until 2019 or something...so when I read that Rivers was "happy to be playing in San Diego at least one more year"...where else would they have played next year or the year after if they did want to leave...at least until the new digs are ready?

The new stadium won't be ready until 2019 or something...so when I read that Rivers was "happy to be playing in San Diego at least one more year"...where else would they have played next year or the year after if they did want to leave...at least until the new digs are ready?
The Colosseum

The Colosseum
Oh good Lord...that's awful.

tdoss said:

The Colosseum
Oh good Lord...that's awful.
probably one of the reasons why they didn't go yet. One ####ty year in SD is as good as one ####ty year in the colosseum.

I don't think they will ultimately leave. I think a stadium deal will be worked out over the next year, and the Chargers will remain in San Diego.

I don't think they will ultimately leave. I think a stadium deal will be worked out over the next year, and the Chargers will remain in San Diego.
Nice. I wonder if they knew they were going to stay but got the practice facility, registered the LA Chargers name, and mentioned 'we have a deal with the rams", etc just to keep the Raiders away? If I'm Oakland and I hear all that stuff, I start looking elsewhere.

Nice. I wonder if they knew they were going to stay but got the practice facility, registered the LA Chargers name, and mentioned 'we have a deal with the rams", etc just to keep the Raiders away? If I'm Oakland and I hear all that stuff, I start looking elsewhere.
Keep the Raiders away from where? Raiders always had to wait for the Chargers decision and were going to do their due diligence for other cities anyways. My guess is Chargers stay and the Raiders move to LA for 2017.

Bucky86 said:
Keep the Raiders away from where? Raiders always had to wait for the Chargers decision and were going to do their due diligence for other cities anyways. My guess is Chargers stay and the Raiders move to LA for 2017.
Punting the decision for the year means the Raiders stay in limbo that much longer. The Raiders aren't just going to wait around for the Chargers to make a decision, as evidenced by the supposed San Antonio land purchase and Vegas visit. So, the theory is that the Chargers are hoping the Raiders will find someplace else to go. That would mean only 2 teams in So Cal and give them a better chance of staying in SD. If the Chargers are faced with being in SD with 2 NFL teams in LA that would suck away a lot of potential fans.

If the Chargers are faced with being in SD with 2 NFL teams in LA that would suck away a lot of potential fans.
Or they can move to L.A., have the Raiders move to San Diego and have no fan base of their own anywhere.

If the Chargers are faced with being in SD with 2 NFL teams in LA that would suck away a lot of potential fans.
Or they can move to L.A., have the Raiders move to San Diego and have no fan base of their own anywhere.
I agree. But I think putting out the rumors that the Chargers and Rams have nearly reached an agreement along with making the Santa Ana property public knowledge really helps out the Chargers. It makes Davis think he needs to find an alternative, and it gives SD more time to try to put something together. I think that in Spanos' perfect situation the Raiders figure out their stadium problem elsewhere (Oakland, San Antonio, Vegas) and he gets his stadium situation figured out in SD.

I agree. But I think putting out the rumors that the Chargers and Rams have nearly reached an agreement along with making the Santa Ana property public knowledge really helps out the Chargers. It makes Davis think he needs to find an alternative, and it gives SD more time to try to put something together. I think that in Spanos' perfect situation the Raiders figure out their stadium problem elsewhere (Oakland, San Antonio, Vegas) and he gets his stadium situation figured out in SD.
Gotta disagree.

Spanos comes across as someone that wanted a very public divorce and made a big show on his way out the door, only to be told by his divorce attorney that it's probably in his best interest to stay in the house until it's finalized. He looks like a creep trying to slink back into his old house against his wishes at this point. He overplayed his hand by a long shot and his best option is..... what it would have been if he had just kept his mouth shut all along.

Go back into the basement with the glue gun and balsa wood to make more models of how your new palace is going to look in Carson and leave us alone, Spanos. Can't imagine any self respecting San Diego citizen supporting the team unless it's under new ownership. This entire year has a been a tiresome tantrum by a billionaire family.

Until they have a new owner this will be the same old San Dementia Chargers. Both in regard to on-field decisions and off-field decisions. Can you imagine anyone rewarding the architect of the brilliant Melvin Gordon move with an extension if he didn't have a genetic predisposition to dementia? Yeesh, the entire franchise is a joke from the top down.... and now he wants to come back to wring the fans dry for a few more months! Yipee! I guess those divorce papers had disappearing ink, good one Dean-o!

Bucky86 said:
Punting the decision for the year means the Raiders stay in limbo that much longer. The Raiders aren't just going to wait around for the Chargers to make a decision, as evidenced by the supposed San Antonio land purchase and Vegas visit. So, the theory is that the Chargers are hoping the Raiders will find someplace else to go. That would mean only 2 teams in So Cal and give them a better chance of staying in SD. If the Chargers are faced with being in SD with 2 NFL teams in LA that would suck away a lot of potential fans.
its not really limbo. They know they have a year to work out a potential SA/LV/SD deal in the event the Chargers do move, and if not it's basically a turnkey operation to be in LA where they already have a large built in fan base. They are not making any decision until Jan 16th 2017 when the Chargers #### or get off the pot.

Charger Signings

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the San Diego Chargers and free-agent TE Antonio Gates have reach agreement on a two-year deal that allows Gates to finish his career as a Charger. NBC Sports adds it's a $12 million contract with $6 million guaranteed.

NFL.com reports the San Diego Chargers will give free-agent WR Travis Benjamin $24 million over four years with $13 million guaranteed. He'll get $18 million over the first three years.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports the Chargers have re-signed OT Joe Barksdale to a four-year contract.

NBC Sports reports the San Diego Chargers have re-signed exclusive-rights free-agent WR Dontrelle Inman to a one-year, $600,000 contract.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the San Diego Chargers have signed free-agent DT Brandon Mebane to a three-year contract.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the San Diego Chargers have signed free-agent S Dwight Lowery to a three-year contract.

ESPN report the San Diego Chargers have re-signed free-agent QB Kellen Clemens to a one-year contract.

Charger FA Losses:

The National Football Post reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have signed free-agent TE Ladarius Green to a four-year contract worth $20 million total, a $4.75 million signing bonus, and salaries of $1.25 million, $5 million, $4.5 million, and $4.5 million.

Glad to see Gates come back and I like the Benjamin signing and keeping Inman.  Sorry to see Green go.  Not sure what to think on the others.  Anyone?

So far so good. Green was nice but would have cost too much if they were intent on keeping Gates playing. Let's see some o line action please. 

Kinda wish they kept Green and Gates retired.But whatever

Mebane is kinda old for a three year deal, but they need help up front.

Hopefully they can move down, get more picks and snag a decent DT/DE prospect in the first. Im not sold on Bosa, and OT is a need as well, oviously

From GRADING EVERY DEAL OF 2016 NFL FREE AGENCY:

B:

OT Joe Barksdale (SD): Four years, $22.2 million with $10.5 million guaranteed

Given the Chargers’ luck with injuries you wouldn’t be surprised if Barksdale got injured signing his contract. But presuming he can make it to the regular season in good shape, Barksdale was a bright spot (21st-ranked tackle in PFF grades) on a terrible offensive line.

TE Antonio Gates (SD): Two years, $12 million with $6 million guaranteed

It was hard to imagine Gates playing anywhere else, and common sense shines through with this re-signing. Sure, Gates isn’t the athlete he once was, but his ability to get open remains excellent, as evidenced by him having the ninth-highest receiving grade of any tight end despite missing nearly half the season.

B-minus:

S Dwight Lowery (SD): Three years, $7.2 million with $1.5 million guaranteed

Similar to the William Gay deal, the Chargers have lined up a tried and tested veteran who can ably fill in without hurting the team’s cap space. Lowery had a solid year in Indianapolis after resurrecting his career somewhat in Atlanta.

C-minus:

DT Brandon Mebane (SD): Three years, $13.5 million with $5.5 million guaranteed

While Mebane had a good run in Seattle, he’s not the player he once was, and it’s hard to envision him making a big impact on the nose in a Chargers defense that is devoid of talent. Mebane had the 70th-highest grade of 123 qualifying interior defenders last season.

D-plus:

WR Travis Benjamin (SD): Four years, $24m with $13m guaranteed

It’s a terrible market for teams in need of wide receivers, and the result is guys getting paid far more than they warrant. Benjamin may be coming off a career year, but he still only finish 66th in our wide receiver rankings. Is he the kind of receiver Philip Rivers needed?
I like all of these moves.

Gates may not be as effective as he once was, but he absolutely should finish his career with SD, and he is still effective enough to be worthy of starting, at least based on what we saw on the field in 2015. Without knowing the terms of the contract, I assume the $6M is guaranteed for 2016, meaning if he falls off a cliff this year, the team can release him, or more likely he can retire, with no cap ramifications in 2017.

Barksdale was the only good OL last season, and there are still plenty of OL concerns, most notably at C, but also at LT. So it was good that another hole did not open by letting Barksdale sign with another team.

I am not familiar with Lowery, but the Chargers obviously needed multiple safeties, and Lowery seems like a solid player who came at a reasonable price.

Though Mebane is 31 and may be average or slightly worse at this point in his career, the Chargers DL was so bad that he should represent a nice upgrade. He also brings veteran experience, which the current defensive roster needed. Still a lot of work to do on DL, and hopefully there will be enough other quality added here that Mebane can be a rotational player to keep him fresh. I hope the contract is structured so that the team can get out without impact after two years if needed.

I really don't understand the D+ grade for the Benjamin signing. The Chargers needed a WR with deep speed, and they needed a punt returner. He fills both needs at an average of $6M per year, and he is 26 years old. He will be the best deep threat the Chargers have had since VJax, and his presence should help the other targets and also the running game. While he won't get the targets he got last year in Cleveland, he should be more effective playing with Rivers over McCown/Manziel/Davis.

No grade given by PFF for Clemens. I don't think it matters much. With Rivers signed for 4 more years, the Chargers aren't going to be drafting or signing a starter caliber QB. Too many other needs on the roster, plus Rivers has been durable. So whether it was Clemens or someone else, if Rivers goes down, season over. I suppose that means they could have saved a little bit of cap room here, but this is what I expected.

Current depth chart looks something like this:

QB - Rivers, Clemens

OL - LT Dunlap, LG Franklin, C Watt, RG Fluker, RT Barksdale, Wiggins, Robinson?, Burwell?

RB - Gordon, Woodhead, Oliver

WR - Allen, Benjamin, Johnson, Inman

TE - Gates, Cleveland?, McGrath?

DL - Liuget, Mebane, Carrethers, Lissemore, Palepoi, Square, Philon

OLB - Ingram, Attaochu, Emanuel, Tourek Williams, Hekking?

ILB - Perryman, Teo, McCoil, Dzunbar

CB - Verrett, Flowers, Steve Williams, Mager, Crawford?, Ducre?

S - Lowery, Addae, Stuckey, Phillips?

LS - Windt

K - Lambo

P - Scifres?

Who am I missing that is likely to make the roster? My view on how this looks today:

1. In comparison to other positions, RB, WR, and LB depth looks good enough that those positions don't need to be addressed. Otherwise, depth is weak across the board, including both lines and the entire secondary.
  2. Robinson should be released, as he was the worst C in the NFL last season and is due to count $2.375M against the cap if on the roster, but only carries $75K in dead cap space. This should set the stage for the team to move Watt to the bench, where he should be a solid backup player. This illustrates the need for the team to address what I view as its top priority: getting a starting C. Once that is done, we can worry about whether or not Watt provides sufficient depth at C in addition to G.
  3. Dunlap's inability to stay on the field is a concern. Having only Wiggins/Burwell behind him (barring a move of Barksdale to LT and Fluker back to RT) is not good enough. The team needs to sign a LT who is capable of starting.
  4. There is no proven TE depth behind Gates, who will be 36 before the season. The team has to do something to address this.
  5. On DL, obviously Liuget and Mebane are locks to start, but beyond that the team seems to have nothing but depth players. Heck, Mebane would be better as a rotational player. Since all of these players were brought in by Telesco, it's hard to guess who will be let go when the team necessarily adds at least 2 more better DL, whether via free agency or draft.
  6. At safety, I would love to see Weddle back, now that the market has spoken and his ask is probably lowered a bit. But I assume that ship has sailed. A lot of people have been saying the Chargers should draft Jalen Ramsey, and doing that would complete the safety group. But to me that early first round pick is better spent on one of the lines. That means the team needs a safety, ideally someone good enough to push to start over Addae.
  7. At corner, I would love to see Patrick Robinson return. I'm not sure if the team will carry more than 5 corners, so adding Robinson might complete that group. If they keep a sixth, not sure if that is Crawford, Ducre, or someone else. I'd certainly like it to be a better player if possible.
  8. The team has no fullback on the roster. They need to add one, particularly given Gordon's struggles without one last season.
  9. Is Scifres going to retire? If so, punter is a need, but hopefully one to be filled by a cheap veteran, not a draft pick. Unless it is a 6th round pick or later.
  10. The Chargers have 8 draft picks: first (third overall), second (35th), third (66th), fourth (102nd), fifth (175th), sixth (179th and 198th) and seventh (224th). With this roster, I would like to see at least 5 players make the roster, with at least 2 starters. IMO the QB, RB, WR, and LB positions should be out of consideration. 
  11. For the #1 pick, I'm not a big Bosa fan, but there are other choices. And it would be best to trade down if possible and add one or more additional picks in the top 3 rounds; that would take Ramsey out of consideration, since he would presumably be gone.
That is a lot of needs, and it probably isn't possible to adequately fill all of them. Thoughts?

Great write up.

My thought is the chargers are a 4th place team in the afc west. And that roster is awful. 4 wins tops. And if rivers somehow got hurt they would challenege the lions for 0n16. 

Chargers would be overthinking it to do anything other than select Bosa.
I could see the browns taking at #2 him to sell tickets and jerseys as he is a `hometown' player

Personally i think he is pretty hyped and doesnt warrant a top3 nfl pick to be honest. Bad season to have a top 5 pick. This is a depth draft especially at dline. The dlineman you take at 3 wont be much better than one you can get at 10 16 or 25

I could see the browns taking at #2 him to sell tickets and jerseys as he is a `hometown' player

Personally i think he is pretty hyped and doesnt warrant a top3 nfl pick to be honest. Bad season to have a top 5 pick. This is a depth draft especially at dline. The dlineman you take at 3 wont be much better than one you can get at 10 16 or 25
I agree with this. The #1 objective for Telesco should be to trade down and acquire one or more additional picks in rounds 1-3 for doing so. But if they stay at 3, I don't like Bosa as the pick.

Chargers signed former gb cb casey heyward. He seems pretty solid from what i remember. 
Nice signing. I'm not convinced the Chargers are going to pay Flowers $7.75M ($9.75M cap) to come off the bench in sub packages, but Hayward is good insurance if Flowers doesn't rebound and/or to cover injuries.

Chargers agreed to terms with CB Casey Hayward, formerly of the Packers, on a three-year, $15.3 million contract.

Easily the top cornerback left on the free agent market, Hayward should get an opportunity to be a full-time player in San Diego after focusing on slot corner in Green Bay. Turning 27 in September, Hayward earned PFF's No. 21 coverage grade among 118 qualified cornerbacks last season and logged a career-high 65 tackles with seven pass breakups. He'll likely play left corner opposite Jason Verrett in base packages, and man the slot in San Diego's "sub" defense. Mar 13 - 3:53 PM

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter

The need to pass rush is higher on my list than OL (not by a lot but its there).  Bosa is more talented on the DL than any OL they could draft at their pick.  I don't think trading down is realistic because there is no one desperate to trade up.  You don't overthink it.  You take Bosa, then OL in the 2nd.  

OK, since this post, the Chargers signed CB Hayward and re-signed swing OT Hairston. Big fan of the Hayward signing and also happy to keep Hairston. This should push Burwell and one of two question mark CBs on my list above off the final roster.

I think the Hairston and Barksdale signings indicate the Chargers will stick with Dunlap as their starting LT, which means their OL is just about set with the exception of starting center, which would move Watt to the bench with Wiggins and Hairston. Given that the team has not signed a free agent center, I think they have to draft a starting center, meaning they will need to use their 2nd round pick on that position.

I think those signings also take Tunsil out of consideration for the Chargers' first round pick. And of course he may be gone by then anyway.

IMO this reduces the Chargers to two courses of action:

1. DL at 1.3 (my preference would be Buckner over Bosa), center at 2.3, BPA the rest of the way but with a strong lean towards a safety at 3.3.
  2. Ramsey at 1.3, center at 2.3, BPA the rest of the way but with a strong lean toward DL in rounds 3-5.
I would be happy with either path. Here is one mock draft that follows path #1 with pretty good results IMO, though I think I would prefer Ryan Kellly in the second round.

Thoughts?

My big fear is that either the Broncos or Chiefs wind up with Carson Wentz.  I think Wentz is a legit star.  He would transform the Chiefs into a super bowl favorite possibly in his rookie year.  The Broncos would be that much better.  The Browns just signed RGIII which must up the odds Wentz might somehow slide to the AFC West.  If I was the Broncos or Chiefs and Wentz started falling I'd give up quite a bit to go get him.

My big fear is that either the Broncos or Chiefs wind up with Carson Wentz.  I think Wentz is a legit star.  He would transform the Chiefs into a super bowl favorite possibly in his rookie year.  The Broncos would be that much better.  The Browns just signed RGIII which must up the odds Wentz might somehow slide to the AFC West.  If I was the Broncos or Chiefs and Wentz started falling I'd give up quite a bit to go get him.
Robert Griffin shouldn't stop any team from drafting Wentz. Browns though...

Doubt the chefs or donkeys have the ammo to move up. Their firsts this year are pretty late. Never seen someone move from late 20s up to pick one or two before

OK, since this post, the Chargers signed CB Hayward and re-signed swing OT Hairston. Big fan of the Hayward signing and also happy to keep Hairston. This should push Burwell and one of two question mark CBs on my list above off the final roster.

I think the Hairston and Barksdale signings indicate the Chargers will stick with Dunlap as their starting LT, which means their OL is just about set with the exception of starting center, which would move Watt to the bench with Wiggins and Hairston. Given that the team has not signed a free agent center, I think they have to draft a starting center, meaning they will need to use their 2nd round pick on that position.

I think those signings also take Tunsil out of consideration for the Chargers' first round pick. And of course he may be gone by then anyway.

IMO this reduces the Chargers to two courses of action:

1. DL at 1.3 (my preference would be Buckner over Bosa), center at 2.3, BPA the rest of the way but with a strong lean towards a safety at 3.3.
  2. Ramsey at 1.3, center at 2.3, BPA the rest of the way but with a strong lean toward DL in rounds 3-5.
I would be happy with either path. Here is one mock draft that follows path #1 with pretty good results IMO, though I think I would prefer Ryan Kellly in the second round.

Thoughts?
On a side note about the "mock draft" you reference-

it has SF taking a QB in round 1 and round 2. Also has Dallas taking DT in round 2 and 3.

i quit reading after that obvious waste of time.

Agree. RG3 was signed as a bridge to get Goff/Wentz up to speed. I think it's more of a confirmation they go QB in 1 than a deterrent.
Only Cleveland could look at Griffin's track record of all-around QB play, field awareness and defense reading and say:  "this is what we need to develop our new young QB behind!"

On a side note about the "mock draft" you reference-

it has SF taking a QB in round 1 and round 2. Also has Dallas taking DT in round 2 and 3.

i quit reading after that obvious waste of time.
Yeah, I only looked at his Chargers picks.

I will say, if anyone would take QB in rounds 1-2, it would be Chip in this situation where Kaep wants out.

Users who are viewing this thread