What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official* - Jeremy Langford (4 Viewers)

Impressive game. They went over it a lot in the broadcast, but his blitz pickup and receiving skills make him look like a vet already. Got some burst in him too. The smart play by Chicago would be to let Forte walk and use Langford as their RB1 next year and beyond. But teams don't do the smart thing all the time. Forte is great, but you just can't pay 30 year old RBs.
I just see it differently. Forte isn't your typical 30 year old back. Still on top of his game. One of the Bears leaders for his entire career. You can't pay him huge money but I think they will pay him enough to keep him. I can see both sides but still don't think it's dumb to try and keep him.
I think another team will throw more money at Forte than the Bears will be willing to do. He's an all-time franchise player, but can see the Bears looking to rebuild and move on.In terms of suitors, I can see a strong RB-needy team like maybe Denver or the NY Giants look at him as a missing piece of the puzzle.

But that's for another thread...
That's a possibility but I'd think other teams would not want to pay an older rb huge money either

Impressive game. They went over it a lot in the broadcast, but his blitz pickup and receiving skills make him look like a vet already. Got some burst in him too. The smart play by Chicago would be to let Forte walk and use Langford as their RB1 next year and beyond. But teams don't do the smart thing all the time. Forte is great, but you just can't pay 30 year old RBs.
I just see it differently. Forte isn't your typical 30 year old back. Still on top of his game. One of the Bears leaders for his entire career. You can't pay him huge money but I think they will pay him enough to keep him. I can see both sides but still don't think it's dumb to try and keep him.
I think another team will throw more money at Forte than the Bears will be willing to do. He's an all-time franchise player, but can see the Bears looking to rebuild and move on.In terms of suitors, I can see a strong RB-needy team like maybe Denver or the NY Giants look at him as a missing piece of the puzzle.

That's a possibility but I'd think other teams would not want to pay an older rb huge money either
I don't think it needs to be huge to draw him away - could also be a contending team that may be more attractive than a rebuilding Bears team. Besides, Chris Johnson and DeAngelo Williams are showing that the 30-year-old RB cliff is not an absolute.

I don't think Forte will fall off the cliff either but who knows. I don't think you can completely discount his desire to stay either. He's still the starting rb. The Bears will probably want to try and keep him. He's been rooted in Chicago for years now. I'm sure he has family that have been here for years too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very curious to see how good Langford looks against the tougher defenses coming up. Looked great in all aspects of the game last night. Something that Forte also excels at.

I don't think Forte will fall off the cliff either but who knows. I don't think you can completely discount his desire to stay either. He's still the starting rb. The Bears will probably want to try and keep him. He's been rooted in Chicago for years now. I'm sure he has family that have been here for years too.
Thats actually another good point.. I believe it may have been hinted that Forte may not be used at a 100% level this Season..

Pittsburgh is probably a good example of why some/most Teams should consider a back like Forte..

In some respects (sadly) It might be best if Forte is able to continue..

The need for a draftee, to blur the potential 3 down ability of Langford would be averted..

Basically if Forte leaves, I think the Coach has to consider the position early (if available)..

IF Forte stays, the RB3 is less relevant..

I don't think it needs to be huge to draw him away - could also be a contending team that may be more attractive than a rebuilding Bears team. Besides, Chris Johnson and DeAngelo Williams are showing that the 30-year-old RB cliff is not an absolute.
Yeah good 8 game sample size, both DeAngelo and CJIII were awful for a number of years before this year and DeAngelo is already gimpy after one big work week. NFL teams aren't stupid, if you re-sign a RB over 28 you are taking a huge and statistically established risk. Why would the Bears, in the thralls of a rebuilding effort, want to sink a bunch of :moneybag: in a RB when they are a dime a dozen? Draft one every year in the 3rd or 4th round, rinse and repeat.

Because Matt Forte is better than a dime a dozen RB. The guy misses a game and all of a sudden he is washed up and not one of the best RB in the league anymore?

The free agents available for the Bears to sign instead of Forte will for the most part not be players of similar quality as Forte.

If the choice is to Sign Forte or a replacement level free agent for a similar amount of money, most teams will opt to have Forte and especially a team that has a history with him as the Bears have.

John Fox has shown a tendency to value veteran RB throughout his career.

Not to spoil the party, but when is Forte reasonably expected back by? No timetable, but is say week 12 possible?

Because Matt Forte is better than a dime a dozen RB. The guy misses a game and all of a sudden he is washed up and not one of the best RB in the league anymore?

The free agents available for the Bears to sign instead of Forte will for the most part not be players of similar quality as Forte.

If the choice is to Sign Forte or a replacement level free agent for a similar amount of money, most teams will opt to have Forte and especially a team that has a history with him as the Bears have.

No one said he was washed up, you said that.

They don't need a free agent, that's really the point. They can draft another RB and rebuild the D via FA. This team has a ton of holes, bringing Forte back is stupid IMO. Maybe they will, but I'm going with the theory that the Bears aren't that dumb.

No one said he was washed up, you said that.

They don't need a free agent, that's really the point. They can draft another RB and rebuild the D via FA. This team has a ton of holes, bringing Forte back is stupid IMO. Maybe they will, but I'm going with the theory that the Bears aren't that dumb.
DD you clearly do not value Forte as much as the Bears or people like me who are Vikings fans and know how good he is. Your entire post dismisses Forte as a dime a dozen player. That isn't right.

I don't think anyone is saying he is washed up but there are facts to defend the idea Forte won't be back:1) The new regime has shown little to no loyalty to vets like Jared Allen, Brandon Marshall, Jay Ratliff and a lesser extent Lance Briggs.

2) It was long rumored Forte was being shopped and on the block prior to the trade deadline. An indication the team doesn't plan on extending Forte and perhaps viewed this as his last year as a Bear.

And

3) The 30 year old statistical decline that has been gone over as nauseam on this board.

What is good, as far as Langford goes, is that he will be challenged the next few weeks with tougher defenses. If he establishes the same skill set as he did against the Chargers, he could force the Bears hand regardless.

I don't think anyone is saying he is washed up but there are facts to defend the idea Forte won't be back:1) The new regime has shown little to no loyalty to vets like Jared Allen, Brandon Marshall, Jay Ratliff and a lesser extent Lance Briggs.

2) It was long rumored Forte was being shopped and on the block prior to the trade deadline. An indication the team doesn't plan on extending Forte and perhaps viewed this as his last year as a Bear.

And

3) The 30 year old statistical decline that has been gone over as nauseam on this board.

What is good, as far as Langford goes, is that he will be challenged the next few weeks with tougher defenses. If he establishes the same skill set as he did against the Chargers, he could force the Bears hand regardless.
yeah i mean assuming the rumors they were trying to trade Forte were true, and they seemed to have substance, seems pretty clear's he's gone.

Seems like a decent chance they just go with Langford and maybe draft someone else or sign a free agent as competition. But how langford performs over the next couple games will give us more info to work with.

Yeah good 8 game sample size, both DeAngelo and CJIII were awful for a number of years before this year and DeAngelo is already gimpy after one big work week. NFL teams aren't stupid, if you re-sign a RB over 28 you are taking a huge and statistically established risk. Why would the Bears, in the thralls of a rebuilding effort, want to sink a bunch of :moneybag: in a RB when they are a dime a dozen? Draft one every year in the 3rd or 4th round, rinse and repeat.
As mentioned, I don't see any team throwing huge money at Forte. Maybe a Frank Gore-type 2-year deal by a potential contender.

Who knows if Forte will be willing to take a hometown discount, but given that this will likely be his last contract, I imagine he will follow the money and/or a chance at a ring. Who wouldn't?

The next several weeks will obviously be critical in assessing whether there is a remote chance the Bears try to keep Forte.

And

yeah i mean assuming the rumors they were trying to trade Forte were true, and they seemed to have substance, seems pretty clear's he's gone.

Seems like a decent chance they just go with Langford and maybe draft someone else or sign a free agent as competition. But how langford performs over the next couple games will give us more info to work with.
This is the cherry on top. The Bears knew they had a high mileage 29 yr old RB approaching the 30 year old barrier whose contract was up and were shopping him before his injury and before Langford's performance.

You take all of the pieces to the puzzle and it doesn't seem the Bears were going to re-sign Forte.

And

This is the cherry on top. The Bears knew they had a high mileage 29 yr old RB approaching the 30 year old barrier whose contract was up and were shopping him before his injury and before Langford's performance.

You take all of the pieces to the puzzle and it doesn't seem the Bears were going to re-sign Forte.
With Langford's 140+ yards Monday night, I bet Forte has significantly increased the level of his rehab. lol

zamboni said:
Doctor Detroit said:
zamboni said:
flapgreen said:

As mentioned, I don't see any team throwing huge money at Forte. Maybe a Frank Gore-type 2-year deal by a potential contender.

Who knows if Forte will be willing to take a hometown discount, but given that this will likely be his last contract, I imagine he will follow the money and/or a chance at a ring. Who wouldn't?

The next several weeks will obviously be critical in assessing whether there is a remote chance the Bears try to keep Forte.
I think Gore is a good current comparison. Forte will be sought by a high level team with RB problems at the time of FA.

I received an offer of Barnidge for Langford, but it was just an opening salvo. I'm a little weak at TE so I didn't think it a bad offer. I rejected, but didn't think it was awful. After watching the week 9 game, I think I'm keeping Langford.

Anyone else receiving lowball dynasty offers for Langford?

I'm getting low WR4 offers or players with a late 3rd/4th round rookie pick value like he's just a simple throw in player.

What, if anything, are you all trading to let go of Langford? Seems to me that if you're selling, his value cannot get much higher than it is right now (for 2015). Even after another solid game, "buying" owners will start using Forte's alleged Week 11 return as a reason to drive down the price.

That said, I think we're discussing a top 5 2016 rookie pick, plus a top 10 veteran at a position of need. Alternatively, I really need to get a TE in my dynasty league, so I'd consider moving Langford for Eifert or Kelce (we're a 12 team league, PPR, keep 8). Langford's current value strikes me as being as high as Ameer Abdullah's was after a crazy good Week 1. But Langford looks like a better all around back on a better all around offense. Small sample size, so forgive the possible hyperbole.

Thoughts?

So how do you think he fairs against the Rams? Much stiffer test
Ground game will be tough, but hopefully Cutler goes checkdown city and gets him 6-8+ targets. The Rams D is tough all the way around, and I could see them having to settle for that kind of stuff all game, without much actual production.

Which for PPR, is just fine with me.

Bojang0301 said:
Biabreakable said:

And

I couldn't even keep reading after #1. Nothing similar between him and those guys. Discounts the rest of your points.

What, if anything, are you all trading to let go of Langford? Seems to me that if you're selling, his value cannot get much higher than it is right now (for 2015). Even after another solid game, "buying" owners will start using Forte's alleged Week 11 return as a reason to drive down the price.

That said, I think we're discussing a top 5 2016 rookie pick, plus a top 10 veteran at a position of need. Alternatively, I really need to get a TE in my dynasty league, so I'd consider moving Langford for Eifert or Kelce (we're a 12 team league, PPR, keep 8). Langford's current value strikes me as being as high as Ameer Abdullah's was after a crazy good Week 1. But Langford looks like a better all around back on a better all around offense. Small sample size, so forgive the possible hyperbole.

Thoughts?
I think you are setting his value way to high. I'm a fan but he's a mid-round NFL draft pick that had one nice game against a bad defense. With him being a starter next season not even being a sure thing at this point no one is paying those prices.

zamboni said:
Doctor Detroit said:
zamboni said:
flapgreen said:

As mentioned, I don't see any team throwing huge money at Forte. Maybe a Frank Gore-type 2-year deal by a potential contender.Who knows if Forte will be willing to take a hometown discount, but given that this will likely be his last contract, I imagine he will follow the money and/or a chance at a ring. Who wouldn't?

The Bears will offer him a 2 year deal and he will stay.

I think it is up to Forte if he wants to re-sign with the Bears or not. I don't know what his feelings about that are.

I could definitely see Forte not being re-signed for whatever reason and Langford getting the opportunity to be their feature RB.

The thing that I take issue with is describing Forte as a replaceable player soon to decline. I also do not think it would be a dumb move on the Bears part to try to retain him.

I think it is up to Forte if he wants to re-sign with the Bears or not. I don't know what his feelings about that are.

I could definitely see Forte not being re-signed for whatever reason and Langford getting the opportunity to be their feature RB.

The thing that I take issue with is describing Forte as a replaceable player soon to decline. I also do not think it would be a dumb move on the Bears part to try to retain him.
I see all of this as very reasonable

I would think not a high one. I think part of it hinges on how much money the player makes when he signs somewhere. The larger the contract the higher the potential compensatory pick a team receives.

I would think not a high one. I think part of it hinges on how much money the player makes when he signs somewhere. The larger the contract the higher the potential compensatory pick a team receives.
There's literally no way to know for sure how it works.

If Langford continues to impress I don't see the Bears trying to resign Forte. His money would be better off spent on many other areas the Bears need in free agency. Langford is set up to be one of the better value keepers in dynasty leagues IMHO.

I just put a feeler out for Calvin and got laughed at. He owns Forte too and is in rebuild mode so thought it could be a match. 12 team PPR.

If the Forte did walk. What kind of compensation pick would the Bears be eligible for?
Basic compensatory rules

team must lose more players than they sign

draft pick is not until 2017, and a late 3rd is the earliest

some complex formula that considers $$$ signed for, performance in 2016 by player and team

IMO, kinda better than nothing deal, but not really great to the team losing the player.

Why would anyone pay large money for an over 30 RB?

I think the Frank Gore deal is close to a ceiling for high performing backs on the wrong side of 30 - 3/12 and I think 6 or 7 guaranteed... I doubt Forte gets much more than that, although Trent Baalke and Jed York are pretty stupid, so maybe they should try there first.

I don't think it will be up to Forte. He's got one more good year left. Just makes sense for both sides for that to be with a contending team. Similar to the Gore situation from last year. Just comes down to him having more value to another team.

So how do you think he fairs against the Rams? Much stiffer test.
I think it will be a tough game for him physically. Devil's advocate, they did give up 125 to a previously struggling Peterson, and the way the Rams bulrush the QB, a pass catching RB is a threat. With all the stretch short passing Chicago does, it actually could be an interesting game. Probably a close enough game to avoid Chicago being in pass only mode.

I don't think it will be up to Forte. He's got one more good year left. Just makes sense for both sides for that to be with a contending team. Similar to the Gore situation from last year. Just comes down to him having more value to another team.
You have access to info that we don't.

If the Forte did walk. What kind of compensation pick would the Bears be eligible for?
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000151670/article/nfl-awards-32-compensatory-draft-picks-to-16-teams

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula.

Theres alot of variables.. For example if Forte signs for less than $800,000 next Season? Id say theres a chance it means nothing.

Thoughts?
Just received interest for him (or Woodhead) in ppr redraft. Other owner is 8-1 and stacked at WR but lost Lewis and Foster. Thinking of offering Langford for AJ Green.

Users who are viewing this thread