What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Corey Coleman - WR - Patriots (3 Viewers)

That's a system thing.  They're actually coached not to waste energy
Is that why he couldn't put in the energy to don a shirt before a press conference?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/baylor-bears-corey-coleman-no-shirt-press-conference

I think he needs to grow up a little, but a lot of these guys need to, so some trash talking doesn't really bother me at this point. I'd be shocked to see him fall out of the first, especially with how many WR needy teams there are in the back half.

https://youtu.be/OcriEeB6xiU

Scouting report from before the combine.  Guy seems to have put in some work considering he only had a couple thousand YouTube views.  Worth a watch/listen. 

Edit - from about 3:40 to 5:00 this guy rants about the baylor system and how the receivers telegraph plays because they're coached not to run if the run is going to the other side. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonshine said:
Is that why he couldn't put in the energy to don a shirt before a press conference?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/baylor-bears-corey-coleman-no-shirt-press-conference

I think he needs to grow up a little, but a lot of these guys need to, so some trash talking doesn't really bother me at this point. I'd be shocked to see him fall out of the first, especially with how many WR needy teams there are in the back half.
HE DIDN'T WEAR A SHIRT TO A PRESS CONFERENCE!! Ma lord! LOCK THIS BEAST UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEYS!!! Also, did you hear that Treadwell wore a BACKWARDS hat at the combine?!!!

I'm just joking around, this isn't a shot at you. I wouldn't worry too much about a guy not wearing a shirt to a press conference. He's just a young guy. As long as he's working hard and staying out of trouble I'm fine with these types of things. 

After rewatching more of Coleman he's an NFL athlete but he doesn't have NFL skills yet. He body catches way too much. He doesn't always fight back to the ball with maximum effort. On broken/scramble plays he runs into other player routes or into coverages. Sometimes it looks like he might be in an open spot but he's so deep that the QB would have to launch a missle into such tight coverage (on the run and cross body) that he's not actually open. He also doesn't use his hands/arms/elbows enough in tight coverage to get that extra space. 

HE DIDN'T WEAR A SHIRT TO A PRESS CONFERENCE!! Ma lord! LOCK THIS BEAST UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEYS!!! Also, did you hear that Treadwell wore a BACKWARDS hat at the combine?!!!

I'm just joking around, this isn't a shot at you. I wouldn't worry too much about a guy not wearing a shirt to a press conference. He's just a young guy. As long as he's working hard and staying out of trouble I'm fine with these types of things. 
No disagreement on my part, I was just making a joke myself about the "limited energy" post.

I'm not as sold on his prospects as a successful NFL WR as most, mostly for the points you noted above, but he is certainly a special athlete, and his production in college was pretty remarkable. If it clicks for him at the next level, he'll be fun to watch.

An anonymous NFL scout compared Baylor WR Corey Coleman to Anquan Boldin.
"He's very thick and strong and short," the scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Explosive run after the catch guy. He's like Anquan Boldin." Coleman, who had 173 receptions for 3,009 (17.4) and 33 scores at Baylor, is sometimes criticized for drops. "He doesn't have great hands but he has solid hands," said another scout. "Part of his (catching) issue is they went through four quarterbacks this year at Baylor." Coleman tested off the charts athletically this offseason. "He is a slot but he could play outside," said a third scout. "He's a No. 2. His play speed is good and he's athletic. Baylor guys have a lot to learn because of the way they play. On their backside, they don't even come off the line and you don't really block." ESPN's Steve Muench compares Coleman to Antonio Brown.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 
Apr 22 - 1:41 PM

I don't like him at all, and don't think he will ever be more than an ok NFL WR, but that being said, there is no chance he doesn't go in the first round.

i believe he is the best wr in this class and he plays far faster than his 4.37 would even suggest. he is quick and has some real game breaking agility. for a shorter guy at 5'11 he has a real athletic ability to high point the ball as well as anyone. if he can put on an additional 10 pounds and keep his speed he may be a much better version of landry and cooks because he is more antonio brown than cooks/landry. I know it is just a highlight video but it is fun to watch but the play i love most is at 1:05.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM9ogSldTB8

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein wrote that Baylor WR Corey Coleman will have to "become much better with his route running once he's matched up against NFL-caliber athletes."
"Coleman will either be a double-digit touchdown maker or just another footnote with "benefited from college scheme" next to his name in five years," Zierlein believes. We have heard the drumming of this criticism of the dynamic wideout throughout the process. The 5-foot-11, 194-pounder has heard that drumming, too. He is, predictably, not a fan. "If you’re a receiver and you don’t know how to run routes at this level, I don’t know what to tell you," Coleman said in March. "I think I proved to them that I can run NFL routes."

Source: NFL.com 
Apr 25 - 9:17 PM

Baylor WR Corey Coleman "may take some managing off the field," according to the MMQB's Peter King.
King connected Coleman to the Bengals, stating the club has never strayed away from adding players who might be "a bit of a handful." This is the first time we have read or heard of Coleman described in this way. Baylor coach Art Briles once described Coleman's competitiveness as "he'll pull your heart out and watch it stop beating." Coleman also battled through a sports hernia during the final stretch of his final season. As you can tell, we love Coleman and his fit with the Bengals would be a great one.

Source: The MMQB 
Apr 26 - 8:43 AM

Browns selected Baylor WR Corey Coleman with the No. 15 overall pick in the 2016 draft.
Coleman (5'11/194) earned the 2015 Biletnikoff Award as the nation's top wideout, finishing his three-year career with a 173-3,009-33 receiving line and averaging 17.4 yards per catch. He blazed 4.40 at Baylor's Pro Day after posting a 40 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-9 broad jump at the Combine. There is some Odell Beckham to Coleman's game with the abilities to outrun coverage, outplay everyone else on the field, and pile up yards after catch with both strength and elusiveness. Coleman's drawbacks are his size and 17 drops the past two seasons. Either way, this is a dynamic playmaker with a high ceiling.

Apr 28 - 10:00 PM

I love this fit. He's great after the catch, and he excels at screens, hitches and go routes, which are the 3 routes RG3 had the most success with in Washington. Let's not forget Pierre Garcon had a 1,300 yard season with Griffin, and Coleman is a ton more talented than Garcon.

I think Coleman is a no-brainer #2 pick in dynasty drafts right now. Wouldn't shock me if he were a top-20 WR as a rookie.

I'm actually hoping this slides him down rookie boards.  He's drafted by the Browns, it probably should push him down boards (nothing personal, Browns fans).

Yeah but he can't fall far......this draft sucks bad. Doctson maybe goes ahead of him and if Henry gets drafted into a good position.....but no way he drops out of the top 4. 

Seems like a pretty good situation to me. Picked in the first half of the round and on a team in which he'll instantly be their #1 option. Guy could get 150 targets.

Seems like a pretty good situation to me. Picked in the first half of the round and on a team in which he'll instantly be their #1 option. Guy could get 150 targets.
I like him too, but come on.  He's going to take some time.  The guy ran three routes in college.  Good corners will put him in their pockets.

I get that, but Coleman never played with either of them.  And RG3 and Gordon only had one season together.
Sure. But they all had 3yrs or so in the same style offense. To which I have to believe Hue will install packages from. 

Regardless of that, they'd all be on the the same instinctive "internal clock" - I just think the 3 will jive a lot quicker than most would

Sure. But they all had 3yrs or so in the same style offense. To which I have to believe Hue will install packages from. 

Regardless of that, they'd all be on the the same instinctive "internal clock" - I just think the 3 will jive a lot quicker than most would
It is hard to say with your history of some of the most ridiculous posts in Shark Pool history, but you might have outdone yourself with this one

I'm actually hoping this slides him down rookie boards.  He's drafted by the Browns, it probably should push him down boards (nothing personal, Browns fans).
What did it do to force Cooper down the boards, Raider man? 

FWIW< I hope you're right but don't think it will matter. In this case, I think it is more about a couple of guys have to hit sweet spots to bring them UP more than it forcing Coleman down and it hasn't happened yet.  

What did it do to force Cooper down the boards, Raider man? 

FWIW< I hope you're right but don't think it will matter. In this case, I think it is more about a couple of guys have to hit sweet spots to bring them UP more than it forcing Coleman down and it hasn't happened yet.  
Cooper had a LOT more hype around him than Coleman did predraft though. Also, Carr didn't have anywhere near the detractors RG3 does. 

It is hard to say with your history of some of the most ridiculous posts in Shark Pool history, but you might have outdone yourself with this one
No, you're right.. a QB and 2 WRs who ALL ran the exact same college system wont have any innate synchronicity. 

Please stop with the 2 WRs stuff. Gordon is never seeing an NFL field again unless he buys a ticket. On his 47th chance he still couldn't produce a clean test.

Put him in the rear view mirror with his buddy Johnny and move on.

No, you're right.. a QB and 2 WRs who ALL ran the exact same college system wont have any innate synchronicity. 
Your schtick was boring and old last year...at this point it is simply pathetic....and that is with me giving you the benefit of doubt that this is actually schtick and not pure stupidity

Please stop with the 2 WRs stuff. Gordon is never seeing an NFL field again unless he buys a ticket. On his 47th chance he still couldn't produce a clean test.

Totally agree and that helps this rookie. Coleman is going to get a ton of targets because he has little competition and the Browns will be playing from behind a lot. The TDs will probably not be there but I see a lot of garbage time stats. 

Soulfly3 said:
But RGIII didn't even play with Coleman at Baylor and they'll be running a totally different system now.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:

Well then you'll still have a QB that played at Baylor five years ago (and has been in two different NFL systems since) playing with a rookie from Baylor in Hue Jackson's offense that most likely doesn't incorporate one stitch of the offense Baylor ran. Don't you see the magic in that?

If Travis Benjamin and Gary Barnidge can each go for 1,000 yards on this team, why are people so worried about a guy who should be a much better player than both of them landing there?

And is this Cleveland team really any worse than the Jason Campbell Cleveland team a few years ago, where Josh Gordon was the #1 WR in fantasy football?

Analytics guys were really high on Coleman (including Football Outsiders, PFF, wdcrob, and to a lesser extent me). So it's not a big surprise that he was the first WR off the board, to the analytics-heavy Cleveland squad.

The situation in Cleveland seems pretty neutral. The main things I look for in a WR's situation is 1) whether he has a shot to be the team's top WR and 2) whether the team has an elite QB / passing offense. The answers here are "yes" to #1 and "no" to #2, which makes it about an average situation. Having a shaky QB situation doesn't matter much because either RG3 will turn things around or (more likely) they'll find a new QB in the next year or two. Cleveland's long history of being a bad team doesn't matter much, because things change quickly - they already have a new front office.

I didn't move him down because they are still going to have to throw a ton.

It should be a concern though. The Browns seem capable of ruining even top 5 RB prospects.

Sitting here at 1.07 with Coleman on the board (traded 1.03 and 1.04 for future picks as I didn't like anyone that much and didn't have the CAP in 2016 to deal with so many top 10 picks).

With no one giving me much in the way with trade offers I likely end up with him on my team. Not sure if I would be excited or nervous.

Well I did take him at 1.07, he really shouldn't have been there and I am happy about it.

I wasn't "excited" earlier as I never was huge on this years draft class in general and I think the 1.03/1.04 soured me with my view.

Here is hoping the Browns new leadership can use his talents.

Agreed.  Soul-dog has said some crazy stuff, but this one was sort of scary crazy.  Like, he might actually be for real crazy.  I couldn't think of something that shtickish crazy if I said here all night trying.

I remember when the Falcons had Rison they figured out ways to get him the ball on crossing routes. So long as Coleman stays healthy he will be a Fantasy Beast.

ghostguy123 said:
Agreed.  Soul-dog has said some crazy stuff, but this one was sort of scary crazy.  Like, he might actually be for real crazy.  I couldn't think of something that shtickish crazy if I said here all night trying.
that the Browns would install some Baylor packages?

Ya, real crazy... except that's what's happening. 

Users who are viewing this thread