What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2017 Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles* - Parade of Champions Down Broad Street! (6 Viewers)

I don't really now what there would be to look in to with Coleman or Chung.  Both were brought in and let go by different coaches and our current safeties have been much better than those 2.  Same with Maxwell and Williams....we've let a lot go and none have amounted to much.
I think what needs to be examined is why guys fail here, but move to other places and succeed. Maybe it is the scheme, but certainly worth looking into. Same idea as why QBs can not develop under certain coaches, and why our WRs will probably benefit from a stronger positional coach. To be honest I have no idea about any of this, but it would seem to be something to see why other teams can get more out of players we couldn't. I'm sure there are plenty of variables, but I would feel better if they have an idea on this before we get a CB in round 1 and he doesn't pan out because we can't develop him

jon007 said:
Well besides Rowe the Pats start Patrick Chung. They both did a pretty job last night.

The main issue is the turnover we have had at coaching. Each new regime brings in their idea of what players should be. 
Not only that but it seems both Rowe and Chung are system players. Look at Kurt Coleman's success in Carolina. I wouldn't say the dude sucks but I think without that system his faults are shown big time. Rowe just wasn't fitting the scheme Schwartz wanted to trun imho. 

I thought Rowe was our best corner most of the time last year.  You don't get rid of young players who show that in year one.  It's hard to find cbs and we gave one away 

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Rowe was our best corner most of the time last year.  You don't get rid of young players who show that in year one.  It's hard to find cbs and we gave one away 
At the same time if the guy doesn't fit your system why keep him? It's like when Andy Reid drafted 3-4 OLBs to be undersized DEs back in the day and they did poorly. its the old fitting a square peg in a round hole system again many hated Andy for. Davis ran a different scheme and like Howie Said Rowe was well behind the other CBs and their next slot guy after Brooks was Jenkins. They could've moved him to safety but how much playing time would've he gotten there? They say rookies who underperform lose a 1 round value per year. Rowe was a 2nd rounder so he was worth a 3rd. NE gave up a 4th that could become a 3rd which may well do it. If the guy isn't gonna play for you I think NE offered an offer they couldn't be refused. I look more at systems and fit and why guys didn't perform in one spot but others. We changed coaches and the last regime Kelly drafted Rowe for their defense and it's now a different system. Tons of guys get lost in the shuffle. Rowe just ended up in a syste, that works. 

I get that he wasn't a perfect fit for our system but after what we've had the last few years I would take my chances letting him pick it up as I'm not sure how he would be worse. It's been rough. 

For whatever reason, Schwartz didn't like Rowe. Now Howie got the job back and has vowed to listen to all involved especially coaches. If the DC is saying he can't use the guy and he's currently 4th or 5th on the depth chart, what's a GM to do?
Exactly. I think there was something more than scheme. Jalen Mills has a pretty similar skill set to Rowe and was ahead of him almost instantly. 

Like Howie explained above, we have a guy who was 4th or 5th if you add what's Howie said about Jenkins. If he is listening to his football people (like a lot of people wanted) he did what he was supposed to do. He got something for nothing. 

I'm indifferent to the whole thing. I'd like to see who we end up getting and what Rowe does in NE before I say we should or should have made the deal. 

Exactly. I think there was something more than scheme. Jalen Mills has a pretty similar skill set to Rowe and was ahead of him almost instantly. 

Like Howie explained above, we have a guy who was 4th or 5th if you add what's Howie said about Jenkins. If he is listening to his football people (like a lot of people wanted) he did what he was supposed to do. He got something for nothing. 

Mom indifferent to the whole thing. I'd like to see who we end up getting and what Rowe does in NE before I say we should or should have made the deal. 
But what does your dad think?

Howie giving Wentz the Peyton/Lebron treatment...

Eagles GM Howie Roseman said Carson Wentz will have input on the team's offseason acquisitions. 
"We want to make sure that he’s on board with some of these things," said Roseman. "Probably more in free agency than in the draft, because it’s hard for him to get caught up on the draft prospects." It's rare for a rookie quarterback to have this much pull, but it's clear the Eagles will do anything to keep Wentz happy.

Howie giving Wentz the Peyton/Lebron treatment...

Eagles GM Howie Roseman said Carson Wentz will have input on the team's offseason acquisitions. 
"We want to make sure that he’s on board with some of these things," said Roseman. "Probably more in free agency than in the draft, because it’s hard for him to get caught up on the draft prospects." It's rare for a rookie quarterback to have this much pull, but it's clear the Eagles will do anything to keep Wentz happy.
I'm sure this is skill position related and it's a good move on our part. 

Carson Wentz will train w/ Adam Dedeaux, who recently took over QB guru Tom House's company, this offseason, per his agent, Ryan Tollner.

Can confirm Eagles spoke with San Diego St RB Donnell Pumphrey today.  They want to add weapons for Carson Wentz. He's a home run hitter.

How much of an upgrade would Jeffrey be from Jordan Matthews?

I do think Jeffrey has played at a higher level than Matthews, I am just not sure about how much higher.

In Jeffrey's best seasons, he was playing with Cutler in his prime (FWIW) and the Bears had Brandon Marshall who drew a lot of attention in coverage. It became debatable which was the WR 1 but I think Jeffrey was usually getting less attention from the defense than Marshal, Cutlers favorite target was. Since Marshall left the Bears, Jeffrey has been injured a lot, but also less effective as the Bears primary weapon. 

Matthews hasn't has as many targets as Jeffrey would be one indicator of Jeffrey being a better receiver than Matthews.  Matthews catch rate is higher, but the yards per catch lower. 

Perhaps the most fair comparison would be Matthews second season and Jeffrey's second season. Matthews had Bradford and Jeffrey had Cutler,

Matthews 126 targets 85 receptions 997 yards 11.7 ypc 8 TD 67.5% catch rate 7.9 yards per target
Jeffrey 148 targets 89 receptions 1421 yards 16 ypc 7 TD 60.1% catch rate 9.6 yards per target

If Matthews had the same number of targets as Jeffrey in his second season, it would have been Matthews 100 receptions 1169 yards.

Now Jeffrey would certainly upgrade the overall group and give the Eagles two larger WR to work with, and more of a deep threat than Matthews, I just wonder if he would upgrade the talent enough for the kind of money he might get. I also wonder if a somewhat faster player than Jeffrey, might be a better fit with Matthews. That combination could be similar to Marhsall and Jeffrey I suppose and give Wentz some larger targets to work with.

Matthews is a WR that doesn't have the skills to play on the outside, the speed to be a deep threat or the hands and balance to be a true #1.   Jeffery would be a significant upgrade to the WR's. 2017 is a pretty big year for Matthews. Will he take the next step? Last year he appeared to still have a lot of thing to improve on and I don't know if he has the overall talent to do so. 

Bigboy10182000 said:
Matthews is a WR that doesn't have the skills to play on the outside, the speed to be a deep threat or the hands and balance to be a true #1.   Jeffery would be a significant upgrade to the WR's. 2017 is a pretty big year for Matthews. Will he take the next step? Last year he appeared to still have a lot of thing to improve on and I don't know if he has the overall talent to do so. 
FWIW, Matthews ran a 4.46 and Jeffery ran 4.53.

I don't think Jeffery is worth the money nor the risk.

Eagles would be better off drafting a rookie (Corey Davis) and then signing a veteran route runner (Boldin/Garcon), then spending all that money on Jeffery....or a lot of money on  Deshaun.

Matthews dropped more balls in one quarter then Jeffery has in his entire life.
Is it random fact time? He said Matthews doesn't have the speed to get deep, I pointed out Matthews is faster than Jeffery. Nobody said anything about drops. I'm not advocating for one player or the other, just giving pertinent facts.

Is it random fact time? He said Matthews doesn't have the speed to get deep, I pointed out Matthews is faster than Jeffery. Nobody said anything about drops. I'm not advocating for one player or the other, just giving pertinent facts.
I guess he may have the 40 time but he doesn't look nearly that fast and lacks something to get deep as he has never been used that way.  Maybe he does not have the best initial burst or body control to enable him to catch the db off balance for just a split second to get by him.

Eagles would be better off drafting a rookie (Corey Davis) and then signing a veteran route runner (Boldin/Garcon), then spending all that money on Jeffery....or a lot of money on  Deshaun.
So with that said your starting WR's are

Davis

Boldin/ Garcon

Matthews

Personally, I wouldn't be able to deal with that at all.  If Davis takes time to get up to the NFL game, who plays in his place?  If Boldin or Garcon underperform or miss time (good chance of that happening) who plays in their place? 

40 times, from 5-6 years ago, aren't a good measure of someone's ability to get deep in the NFL IMO.

I guess he may have the 40 time but he doesn't look nearly that fast and lacks something to get deep as he has never been used that way.  Maybe he does not have the best initial burst or body control to enable him to catch the db off balance for just a split second to get by him.
This is definitely something he doesn't have and it shows.

:shrug:

Maybe his coaches just haven't used him that way. Maybe he is missing "something" although I'm not sure what that would be or how to discern if he's got it or not. I don't have him in any leagues so I don't really care, but he's not "too slow to get deep."

If I was an Eagles fan I would not want the contract or risk (both health and suspension) that Jeffery entails. I'd rather pick up DeSean or give Floyd a one year deal and hope that either he or Agholor comes through.

40 times, from 5-6 years ago, aren't a good measure of someone's ability to get deep in the NFL IMO.
:rolleyes:  Try less than 3 years ago. It's ok to not know what you're talking about, but don't dig the hole deeper.

:shrug:

Maybe his coaches just haven't used him that way. Maybe he is missing "something" although I'm not sure what that would be or how to discern if he's got it or not. I don't have him in any leagues so I don't really care, but he's not "too slow to get deep."

From his draft profile

WEAKNESSES

Could stand to bulk up his frame. Adequate line release. Fairly linear. Not a quick-twitch athlete. Does not show elite explosion to separate vertically. Lets some throws into his body and is not immune to concentration drops. Limited creativity and elusiveness after the catch.

The benefits of signing Jeffery is; 

1. He will draw double coverage or the teams best corner allowing DGB, Mathews and Ertz more options to get better matchups.

2. He has excellent leaping ability making him another redzone threat along with Ertz.

The benefits of signing Jackson;

1. He will solidify special teams as a returner.

2. Will open up the offense for other guys mentioned above.

3. Legitimate deep threat.

I say sign'em both :)

I'm sure he's gotten much faster since then, clown.
I'm not quite sure you even understand what your point is.  Had you took 5-7 seconds to think before typing something stupid you would have known who I was referring to with my 5-6 year comment.  Don't back track now.

We've watched Matthews from the beginning and if it helps, I'm at every home game either on the field or in the replay booth.  Despite his straight line speed in shorts #'s, he does not have the speed to get deep.  He runs by no one.  If you cant run by them, you need to have great balance, good leaping abiity, can track the ball and a set of hands.  Honestly, I don't know that he has any of those either.

The benefits of signing Jeffery is; 

1. He will draw double coverage or the teams best corner allowing DGB, Mathews and Ertz more options to get better matchups.

2. He has excellent leaping ability making him another redzone threat along with Ertz.

The benefits of signing Jackson;

1. He will solidify special teams as a returner.

2. Will open up the offense for other guys mentioned above.

3. Legitimate deep threat.

I say sign'em both :)
Jeffery would also give our young QB a reliable target and one we can feed on drives when needed....one who actually catches the ball too lol.

If they could (the cant) sign both that would be what we need, 

I'm not quite sure you even understand what your point is.  Had you took 5-7 seconds to think before typing something stupid you would have known who I was referring to with my 5-6 year comment.  Don't back track now.

We've watched Matthews from the beginning and if it helps, I'm at every home game either on the field or in the replay booth.  Despite his straight line speed in shorts #'s, he does not have the speed to get deep.  He runs by no one.  If you cant run by them, you need to have great balance, good leaping abiity, can track the ball and a set of hands.  Honestly, I don't know that he has any of those either.
Yes, I do know my point: the simple fact of the matter is that you said Matthews doesn't have the speed to get deep and I showed that he does (only bc I happened to see Matthews' combine numbers the other day). If he's missing the route running or moves off the line, that's another story. He absolutely does have the speed to get deep. 40 yards is not a short #. Had you taken (not "took" - that's how ignorant people speak) the time to look the numbers up, you wouldn't have been spouting off without knowing what you're talking about. Maybe he's missing some other element to his game or maybe the coaches just don't ask him to run deep very often, but he's got the speed you said he didn't have. That's been my only point and it hasn't changed.

I'm really not that interested in Matthews or Alshon, but I'm even less interested in eyeball tests on fantasy forums, so no I don't care that you're on the field or in the replay booth. I do agree with you that Matthews shouldn't be the answer for the deep ball - he is your slot guy after all. You need to find an outside WR that can get deep and catch the ball. To me Alshon is too risky and pricey. His two best years came when he was the #2 on his team, facing weaker coverage. His two years as the #1 were marred with injuries and a suspension. Maybe I'm wrong and his contract is reasonable, but as the biggest name in free agency at the position, I suspect he's going to get overpaid by someone. You really want that to be your team?

I'd rather give DeSean or Britt a decent 3 year deal. Or give Floyd a 1 year deal. Personally, I'm kind of a Brice Butler fan so I think he'd be a nice, cheap option. Oh, and Kenny Stills doesn't get a lot of love, but I think he's proven over his short career that he's good at getting deep and catching the ball. Conversely, there's always Ginn who can get deep, but there's a 25% chance he's going to drop it even if it hits him in the bread basket...

Hell, the board ate my first comment and I don't feel like retyping the whole thing.

But I would have been prepared to bet my mortgage on the "over" of a 4.55 for JMatt before I went back and checked. And I'm pretty certain he's not poorly conditioned or a poor route runner (two common reasons WRs "play slower" on the field than their combine 40 times).

So what does that leave? In order of least to most concerning it might be any or all of the following:

1) A lack of experience with deep routes in 3 years of playing with Bradford (who couldn't throw deep to save his life) and Wentz (who was hardly ever allowed to). Not as concerning assuming Pederson and staff take the kid gloves off Carson in Year 2.

2) A problem with deep-ball tracking - maybe he's the football equivalent of Odubel Herrera and just doesn't do well in the initial half-second or second processing high-ball trajectories. Somewhat concerning, but with half a brain and lots of practice it's something you can adjust to mentally.

3) Lack of a quick first step and short-area burst to allow him to shake a DB as he's getting up to full speed. Either you've got this or you don't.

My biggest concern with Matthews isn't his deep speed, whatever it's timed it. It's (and I said this when he was drafted) that he's the quintessential "good at lots of things, great at none" pass-catcher. Even the best of these types of guys can carve out decent careers, but they typically flourish only as #2s in the right systems and almost invariably falter when called upon to be true #1s.

Yes, I do know my point: the simple fact of the matter is that you said Matthews doesn't have the speed to get deep and I showed that he does (only bc I happened to see Matthews' combine numbers the other day). If he's missing the route running or moves off the line, that's another story. He absolutely does have the speed to get deep. 40 yards is not a short #. Had you taken (not "took" - that's how ignorant people speak) the time to look the numbers up, you wouldn't have been spouting off without knowing what you're talking about. Maybe he's missing some other element to his game or maybe the coaches just don't ask him to run deep very often, but he's got the speed you said he didn't have. That's been my only point and it hasn't changed.

I'm really not that interested in Matthews or Alshon, but I'm even less interested in eyeball tests on fantasy forums, so no I don't care that you're on the field or in the replay booth. I do agree with you that Matthews shouldn't be the answer for the deep ball - he is your slot guy after all. You need to find an outside WR that can get deep and catch the ball.
Correct, before I made my assertion about him not having the speed to get deep, I should have checked his combine #'s from 3 years ago.  I shouldn't have used what I see every Sunday.  His 40 time is not a true indication of how fast he plays or is...and why does that even need to be explained?  Maybe you do understand your point and just don't care if it's poor.  I found a recent article that may help you understand a bit better.  Go specifically to the section that says "Physical attributes Important for Wide Receivers" and read the speed attribute.

Typically used to denote straight-line speed. More than just a 40 time, though. Tape is always the best proof of how fast a receiver plays.
He is missing quite a few elements to his game and speed is one of them.  As you go on to say, "he is your slot guys after all".....every wonder why?  Because the ability to play outside is not something he possesses. 

Oh, sorry, I just got to the part where you're even less interested in the eyeball test :rolleyes:

To me Alshon is too risky and pricey. His two best years came when he was the #2 on his team, facing weaker coverage. His two years as the #1 were marred with injuries and a suspension. Maybe I'm wrong and his contract is reasonable, but as the biggest name in free agency at the position, I suspect he's going to get overpaid by someone. You really want that to be your team?

I'd rather give DeSean or Britt a decent 3 year deal. Or give Floyd a 1 year deal. Personally, I'm kind of a Brice Butler fan so I think he'd be a nice, cheap option. Oh, and Kenny Stills doesn't get a lot of love, but I think he's proven over his short career that he's good at getting deep and catching the ball. Conversely, there's always Ginn who can get deep, but there's a 25% chance he's going to drop it even if it hits him in the bread basket...
Yes.  I want that on my team.  I'm not paying for yesterday.  I'm paying for tomorrow. Yesterday Desean was one of the fastest in the game....tomorrow?  Not so much....despite the 40 time from 2008....

Lastly, using your same ridiculous logic, every WR you named faces the "weaker" coverage and since you don't use the eyeball test and rely on #'s how about you post their #'s compared to Jeffery's when they faced the "weaker coverage"?  I'm thinking it may be a landslide.

My biggest concern with Matthews isn't his deep speed, whatever it's timed it. It's (and I said this when he was drafted) that he's the quintessential "good at lots of things, great at none" pass-catcher. Even the best of these types of guys can carve out decent careers, but they typically flourish only as #2s in the right systems and almost invariably falter when called upon to be true #1s.
If I had to nitpick, I'd say he's "above average at a lot of things, good at none"

He was drafted, by Chip (take it any way you like) specifically to be a slot guy.  After some injuries and departures he was tried on the outside and almost immediately moved back inside.  After Chip was fired, Doug tried the same thing and ended up moving him back inside as well. As you know, the slot guys usually don't see #1 CB's so what he's done numbers wise hasn't been that impressive given the fact that he's been the defacto #1 here.  You can ask ANY fan in here just how many big plays or TD's he has left on the field.  It's a lot.  He's missing TD's because he cant catch the ball, get a second foot down or even turn to adjust to a poorly thrown ball.  It been constant no matter who the QB has been as well.

This coming season is huge for Jordan.  If he doesn't take the next step he will be nothing more than a 3 IMO.  My biggest concern is that there seems to be a lot he has to get better at and I don't know that he can.

Correct, before I made my assertion about him not having the speed to get deep, I should have checked his combine #'s from 3 years ago.  I shouldn't have used what I see every Sunday.  His 40 time is not a true indication of how fast he plays or is...and why does that even need to be explained?  Maybe you do understand your point and just don't care if it's poor.  I found a recent article that may help you understand a bit better.  Go specifically to the section that says "Physical attributes Important for Wide Receivers" and read the speed attribute.

He is missing quite a few elements to his game and speed is one of them.  As you go on to say, "he is your slot guys after all".....every wonder why?  Because the ability to play outside is not something he possesses. 

Oh, sorry, I just got to the part where you're even less interested in the eyeball test :rolleyes:

Yes.  I want that on my team.  I'm not paying for yesterday.  I'm paying for tomorrow. Yesterday Desean was one of the fastest in the game....tomorrow?  Not so much....despite the 40 time from 2008....

Lastly, using your same ridiculous logic, every WR you named faces the "weaker" coverage and since you don't use the eyeball test and rely on #'s how about you post their #'s compared to Jeffery's when they faced the "weaker coverage"?  I'm thinking it may be a landslide.
Once again... my point was simply that he's got the speed. It was a simple binary topic. I never said he had all the other attributes needed. When I see someone running their mouth who doesn't know what they're talking about and I have just seen the numbers proving otherwise, I might as well point it out. As I already said, I agree you guys need to find a consistent outside WR who can get deep. And as I already said Matthews is your slot guy, so it needs to be someone else. As for your cute little bleacher report article (which was more about overall WR ability than the specific topic at hand), it's nothing I didn't already know. I saw a study a few years ago that found zero correlation between combine numbers for WR and success in the NFL. Breakout age and college dominator rating are better metrics to predict NFL success. But all you said earlier was that he doesn't have the speed. He does. You want to move the goal posts? Fine, but I'm calling you out on it.

DeSean just turned 30. I know that number has a stigma, but 30 for RBs is more like 32 for WRs. He's nearing the end of his physical prime, but he's probably got 2-3 good years left. You don't win championships by overpaying for the top FA. You either formulate your system around your existing players or you sign players who fit your system and your budget. Philly has Ertz and Matthews who are two nice pieces. They've got Agholor and DGB who have nice potential. They don't need to break the bank for an oft-injured suspension risk who has never produced for a full season as the WR1 of his team. All the guys I listed would be largely role players, not high volume guys. They'd represent a good option, but not always the first option. They'd allow Wentz to spread the ball and give the offense an unpredictable nature. Is Jeffery better than most of them? Yes. Is his drastically more expensive? Yes. Is he more injury prone? Yes. 

So go ahead and thump your chest and tell me how much better Jeffery is than Kenny Britt while ignoring the context of salary cap and injuries. It humors me.

Also, there's nothing ridiculous about my logic. The only thing ridiculous is that you can't follow it and thus label it ridiculous. When you hear a foreign language you probably think it's ridiculous because you can't understand it...

Once again... my point was simply that he's got the speed. It was a simple binary topic. I never said he had all the other attributes needed. When I see someone running their mouth who doesn't know what they're talking about and I have just seen the numbers proving otherwise, I might as well point it out. As I already said, I agree you guys need to find a consistent outside WR who can get deep. And as I already said Matthews is your slot guy, so it needs to be someone else. As for your cute little bleacher report article (which was more about overall WR ability than the specific topic at hand), it's nothing I didn't already know. I saw a study a few years ago that found zero correlation between combine numbers for WR and success in the NFL. Breakout age and college dominator rating are better metrics to predict NFL success. But all you said earlier was that he doesn't have the speed. He does. You want to move the goal posts? Fine, but I'm calling you out on it.

DeSean just turned 30. I know that number has a stigma, but 30 for RBs is more like 32 for WRs. He's nearing the end of his physical prime, but he's probably got 2-3 good years left. You don't win championships by overpaying for the top FA. You either formulate your system around your existing players or you sign players who fit your system and your budget. Philly has Ertz and Matthews who are two nice pieces. They've got Agholor and DGB who have nice potential. They don't need to break the bank for an oft-injured suspension risk who has never produced for a full season as the WR1 of his team. All the guys I listed would be largely role players, not high volume guys. They'd represent a good option, but not always the first option. They'd allow Wentz to spread the ball and give the offense an unpredictable nature. Is Jeffery better than most of them? Yes. Is his drastically more expensive? Yes. Is he more injury prone? Yes. 

So go ahead and thump your chest and tell me how much better Jeffery is than Kenny Britt while ignoring the context of salary cap and injuries. It humors me.

Also, there's nothing ridiculous about my logic. The only thing ridiculous is that you can't follow it and thus label it ridiculous. When you hear a foreign language you probably think it's ridiculous because you can't understand it...
If all you want to do is insult and nit pick, maybe you should just do everyone a favor and move on.  Thanks in advance.

um yes, you were the one who called me a clown then called my logic ridiculous. Excuse me for calling you a clown back  :rolleyes:   If it offends you, maybe you shouldn't use it on others.

And when you said "Matthews doesn't have the speed to get deep", I'd say that it's accurate to say you didn't know what you were talking about.  :shrug:  When that simple fact was proven wrong you started moving the goal posts.

Yeah I agree with the lack of cap we will have (yeah I know with moves and all it could be more but it won't be enough) it's a poor use of economical resources to bank it all on one player. Now if the Team was where they were when they went to acquire TO and had some depth problems and needed a playmaking bit time WR and a shutdown CB to get over the hump I'd say hey why not it's a risk with Jeffrey given his health the last two years and production decline but we don't have many choices to help us get over the hump and we saw what a WR like that can do for us. 

Ugh it's a good read besides the fact he quotes that idiot from CSN Andrew Kulp. When I say idiot I mean it. I've actually met the guy through a mutal friend who works media and was an apprentice for Big Daddy at WIP as a college intern. When I say Kulp is an idiot he really is. I don't disagree with what he said in the article but he came off to me a friend as a pompous ####### and a I'm a sports journalist I'm better then you attitude. I simple pointed out a few mistakes in some articles he had written he almost lost it. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything just pointing out a mistake or two that was easily fixed and made his article better but nope dude acted like I came in attacking his mother. I talked to my buddy who had introduced me to him in Sports Journalism who said it's the way he acts all the time. Sorry I just saw Andrew Kulp while reading that and seeing his name after what happened really gets my blood curling. The least this guy could've done for the sake of my blood pressure is quote anyone other then Kulp. Not only that he then quote Mark Eckel and for those who don't know was the guy who wrote the BS gang ties smear article about Jackson 30 mins after he was released published. I think most people realize the holes in that article and it kind of puts Eckel in a bad spot. A part of me thinks he was paid off by Chip or something to write the article and was fed BS by Kelly or someone close to him. Eckel seems like a nice guy from people I talked to who know him but that article really set his career back. 

I agree with the article though in general however I think a Shutdown CB is more important then WR but for the purpose of the article and FA I agree WR should be the position we go after hard There could be some very interesting RB names out there and depending on price I wouldn't mind. Gilmore and Bouye would be my top FA targets at CB however might be too expensive. 

I'm sure he's gotten much faster since then, clown.
Ankle Injury I think he had recently can effect speed and older you get your speed declines especially in the nFL. He maybe 26 but playing football like he has for all the years takes a toll on the body. A 26 year old player is more like a 28-29 yrs old depending how much football they played a a younger age. Not sure people realize the toll this game puts on the bodies of these guys and you can be the healthiest most athletic of guys too. 

Ankle Injury I think he had recently can effect speed and older you get your speed declines especially in the nFL. He maybe 26 but playing football like he has for all the years takes a toll on the body. A 26 year old player is more like a 28-29 yrs old depending how much football they played a a younger age. Not sure people realize the toll this game puts on the bodies of these guys and you can be the healthiest most athletic of guys too. 
My concern is the hamstring. Anybody remember Miles Austin?

Alshon's injury history

One of us watches him every week and another used combine num.....never mind, I'm just blocking you
:rolleyes: :coffee:  

When someone is wrong and presented with facts there are two options:

(1) admit being wrong and move on with dignity

(2) insult the person who brings up the facts, try to change the argument, & blame the fact bringer for the ensuing chaos

FF Ninja, perhaps you had a minor technical point on which you were correct.  Enjoy!  You are a winner!

It is a very small part of the determination as to whether Matthews is/can be a deep threat in the NFL and an even smaller part of the overall WR discussion.  HTH.

Does all this debate about improving the WR position through FA and draft give anyone else deja vu?  Didn't we learn with Andy's early years that the position just isn't as important as everyone makes it out to be?  If TO in his prime without the baggage was available, I'd be all for it.  But no one comes close.  

In my opinion, the top three needs are CB, CB and then OT.  Peters age and Lane's suspensions make me nervous for the line going forward.  And having a solid offensive line is integral in Carson's development.

I think I'd even put C and RB ahead of WR. Even though our starters were horrendous last year, they were young, and it is reasonable to count on some improvement (looking at you, Nelson).    

If we did add a WR in FA, I think someone like Cordarrelle Patterson makes sense.  Playmaker, deep threat, and asset on special teams which is really important with Sproles turning 34.     

So that article tells me that there is nothing valuable in FA at RB, OT, and CB and the depth FA position is WR.

I'd love for the following to happen:

Draft Cook

Sign Stills and Inman/Garcon

Target BPAs @ CB, WR, OL, DL, LB in remaining rounds

Does all this debate about improving the WR position through FA and draft give anyone else deja vu?  Didn't we learn with Andy's early years that the position just isn't as important as everyone makes it out to be?  If TO in his prime without the baggage was available, I'd be all for it.  But no one comes close.  

In my opinion, the top three needs are CB, CB and then OT.  Peters age and Lane's suspensions make me nervous for the line going forward.  And having a solid offensive line is integral in Carson's development.

I think I'd even put C and RB ahead of WR. Even though our starters were horrendous last year, they were young, and it is reasonable to count on some improvement (looking at you, Nelson).    

If we did add a WR in FA, I think someone like Cordarrelle Patterson makes sense.  Playmaker, deep threat, and asset on special teams which is really important with Sproles turning 34.     
While WR may not be that vital, the drops of our current WR's are killing us. Most of the drops are not only on catchable balls but balls that are usually hitting the WR in stride for a potential big gain or TD. I don't mind not having superstar talent at WR, We just can't have receivers who are dropping potential TD's. 

I don't think we're watching the same team. If you're saying "need", WR is 1a or 1b at the lowest on our list of needs. 

Our starting OL was not horrendous either. 

Jeebus came here to get caught up on some news. Walked into a pissing contest.

Yes we need wrs.  Pls eagles get some better guys then we have.  Mathews is good but I'm not even sure he's that good of a number 2. The others are easily expendable.

We need playmakers period

Users who are viewing this thread