What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nathan Peterman: It's 2018 & he's their starter. Deja Vu! (2 Viewers)

The Bills have announced that Peterman will start tomorrow. Does that make the Colts D/ST a worthwhile streaming option?
That's what I'm wondering too. I'm leaning no because the weather looks bad and I highly doubt the Colts will score enough points for Peterman to have to throw a lot 

That's what I'm wondering too. I'm leaning no because the weather looks bad and I highly doubt the Colts will score enough points for Peterman to have to throw a lot 
Depending how you count, the colts run defense is top 10 (y/a) or 13 (total yards allowed) so McCoy doesn't have a great matchup and presumably will be keyed on. 

Colts pass D is the worst in the league. Except they do have 10 interceptions. 

This will be an interesting test for the rookie in a much better matchup than the chargers, but the conditions will be challenging. I'm intrigued to see how he does.

The Bills have announced that Peterman will start tomorrow. Does that make the Colts D/ST a worthwhile streaming option?
I’m starting them. What the hell - this game could be such a mess that the Colts D could score a ton. 

But I’m really bad at picking the correct D week to week...

Two important notes:

1) McDermott and the Bills really really like Peterman. They like the way he works and they like him as a person. I think that McDermott would very much like to rewards Peterman's hard work, improvement and his character. They also clearly want to "protect" Allen and only start him when they feel he is absolutely ready.

2) Allen is clearly the future in Buffalo barring a total meltdown by him of some sort. He is bigger, more mobile, and his arm talent is leaps and bounds better than Peterman's. There are throws that Peterman simply can't make that will always limit his effectiveness and the offense. Simple 8 yard outs for Peterman are an adventure as they flutter softly to the intended recipient. The Bills aren't stupid. They know this. It's only a matter of when, not if, Allen takes over as the starter. Peterman could settle into being a great backup, but that's all he is long term.

I say good for him because he really did play his way into this position in the preseason. Now will he hold onto the job the entire regular season? I doubt that will happen, but the Bills did the right thing giving him the job out of the gate.

Bills first 3 games-

@ BAL

Vs LAC

@ MIN

Good luck with a QB who can't challenge vertically against defenses who are actually gameplanning for him.

I'm hesitant to say this because I remember that the Jets were supposed to have the worst offensive and be the worst team ever last year. They were bad but not a fantasy wasteland. 
Yup. I remember that year and the Jets looked sub-par but not historically bad. 

Might be a slight exaggeration but I am not drafting any Bills anywhere near their ADP.
There are only two BUF players who are even being drafted and it's like McCoy in the 4th and Benjamin in the 10th and I honestly think at those points they represent pretty good value. BUF still has to field an offense, they still have to run and pass the ball. I'm not trying to get on your ### about it but sometimes the community as a whole tends to overreact to the point where players start to become undervalued. 

I need a QB in one of my leagues (only have Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson and i'll still pass. 

With this offensive line there won't be much time to be able to get deep.  However, one thing that Peterman is good at is getting the ball out fast, which will be necessary unless the play of the line improves greatly.  The problem with Peterman is he doesn't put a ton of mustard on the ball, so the opposing secondaries are gonna be chomping at the bit to jump on those sideline throws.  But an 80% completion rate in the pre-season is a good start.

I need a QB in one of my leagues (only have Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson and i'll still pass. 

He’s no QB1 (yet, he may have enough game to eventually develop because he’s got the drive, mental acumen, and fortitude to get there with the right system) but he could be a seviceable part of a QBBC.  He’s pretty much the direct opposite of Allen, so I’m not sure how the team transitions when they finally make that change this year.

There are only two BUF players who are even being drafted and it's like McCoy in the 4th and Benjamin in the 10th and I honestly think at those points they represent pretty good value. BUF still has to field an offense, they still have to run and pass the ball. I'm not trying to get on your ### about it but sometimes the community as a whole tends to overreact to the point where players start to become undervalued. 
High 3rd and 9th https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp

and they won’t return that in value....

& Clay

Nathan Peterman was benched in the third quarter of Sunday's Week 1 game against Baltimore.

Peterman was a disaster in his second career start, leading the Bills to no scoring drives and zero first downs in the first half. He threw for just 24 yards before getting pulled. Peterman looked completely lost, throwing both of his interceptions directly to the Ravens and taking three sacks. Josh Allen replaced Peterman in the third quarter and should remain the starter going forward.

Sep 9 - 3:14 PM

Well, I’ve had enough of burning a roster spot on him.  I misgaged his possibilities - a guy has to show some kind of meaningful improvement as they gain experience.  I retract anything I put forth about this guy being anything other than a backup who should be lightly used by a NFL team.  Mea culpa.

Ran across this gem in an article:

The Bills averaged just 6.6 yards per drive on Sunday against the Ravens, which was 12 yards fewer than any other team. Each Buffalo drive was about the length of a giraffe.

:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I’ve had enough of burning a roster spot on him.  I misgaged his possibilities - a guy has to show some kind of meaningful improvement as they gain experience.  I retract anything I put forth about this guy being anything other than a backup who should be lightly never ever EVER used by a NFL team.  Mea culpa.
FTFY

Playing in relief of Josh Allen, Nathan Peterman completed 6-of-12 passes for 61 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions in the Bills' Week 6 loss to the Texans.

Things started well for Peterman. Following a Texans fumble, Peterman led a touchdown drive he capped with a nice throw to Zay Jones in the back corner of the end zone to give the Bills the lead. It went downhill from there, however. After the Texans tied the game with under two minutes left, Peterman threw a horrific pick-six which gave Houston the lead. He followed that up with another bad interception on the next drive to end the game. If Allen is forced to miss time, Buffalo probably would be suited going with newly-signed Derek Anderson next week against the Colts.

Oct 14 - 3:59 PM

Cross-posting from the Bills thread, here are the players that have caught a Nathan Peterman pass in the NFL, sorted by number of passes caught:

7 Kelvin Benjamin BUF
5 Deonte Thompson BUF
4 Zay Jones BUF
3 Charles Clay BUF
3 LeSean McCoy BUF
2 Casey Hayward LAC
2 Jeremy Kerley BUF
2 Logan Thomas BUF
2 Nick O'Leary BUF
2 Patrick DiMarco BUF
2 Travaris Cadet BUF
1 Andre Holmes BUF
1 Brandon Carr BAL
1 Chris Ivory BUF
1 Jalen Ramsey  JAC
1 Jason Croom BUF
1 Johnathan Joseph HOU
1 Jordan Matthews BUF
1 Kareem Jackson HOU
1 Korey Toomer LAC
1 Tony Jefferson BAL
1 Tre Boston LAC
1 Trevor Williams LAC

23 players on just 82 career attempts. Data from here, here, and here.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Nathan Peterman is expected to be the Bills' Week 9 starter at quarterback after Derek Anderson suffered a concussion against the Patriots.

Un. Leash. The. Peter. Man. Peterman has attempted 81 career passes. According to Pro Football Reference's Play Index, Peterman's 11.11 interception percentage is ninth-worst all time for a player with at least that number of throws. It's the worst INT rate since "Randy Hedberg" for the 1977 Bucs. Peterman is historically bad, but the Bills keep leaving him on the roster and in turn keep getting forced into starting him by injuries. Peterman will be facing Khalil Mack's Bears on Sunday. Our thoughts are with him.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Oct 30 - 4:09 PM

Users who are viewing this thread