What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler said Marcus Mariota would "make a lot of sense" for the 49ers in 2022. 

Signing Mariota, Fowler said. "would give San Francisco flexibility, with the new quarterback either supporting Lance in a backup role or actually starting games if Lance needs a little more developmental time -- at a lesser cost than [Jimmy] Garoppolo is due in 2022 ($25.5 million)." The 49ers are widely expected to move on from Garoppolo this offseason. Fowler said Mariota "would thrive off coach Kyle Shanahan's designed runs while providing experience" that could help in Lance's development. In Mariota's most recent start -- Week 15 of the 2020 season -- he threw for 226 yards, a touchdown, and an interception while rushing for 88 yards and a score. Probably Mariota will have starting opportunities for teams seeking bridge QB options this offseason. It would be surprising if he chose the San Francisco, where Lance is all but locked in as the team's starter. 

RELATED: 

Trey Lance

, Jimmy Garoppolo

, San Francisco 49ers

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Feb 22, 2022, 11:54 AM ET

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo said to "watch for" free agent Marcus Mariota signing with the Falcons following the Matt Ryan trade. 

Falcons coach Arthur Smith worked with Mariota in Tennessee including as the offensive coordinator in Mariota's final year with the Titans. He is still just 28, but it is tough to imagine Mariota as anything more than a stop-gap option as the rebuilding Falcons figure out their future. There are not many offensive weapons in Atlanta outside of Kyle Pitts and Cordarrelle Patterson, but Mariota's rushing ability would give him some fantasy upside if he ends up with the Falcons. 

RELATED: 

Atlanta Falcons

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Mar 21, 2022, 1:53 PM ET

Good lord, why bother.  

I'd rather have my team throw a dart on some guy that hasn't been given a shot than waste my time with a proven low floor low ceiling QB.

Good lord, why bother.  

I'd rather have my team throw a dart on some guy that hasn't been given a shot than waste my time with a proven low floor low ceiling QB.
MM is a little underrated, IMO. 

When he filled in for Carr (groin injury) he looked positively electric for a game, making plays with his legs and throwing well on the run. 

Dude's 28, and never really had weapons in TEN. We don't really know what his upside is, because that was during the "put shackles on a running QB's legs and force him to be a pocket passer" era of football. 

In today's game with RPO concepts and teams taking better advantage of mobile QBs, using designed rollouts and designed QB runs, we might finally see what his ceiling really is. 

IMO, we haven't seen it yet. 

MM is a little underrated, IMO. 

When he filled in for Carr (groin injury) he looked positively electric for a game, making plays with his legs and throwing well on the run. 

Dude's 28, and never really had weapons in TEN. We don't really know what his upside is, because that was during the "put shackles on a running QB's legs and force him to be a pocket passer" era of football. 

In today's game with RPO concepts and teams taking better advantage of mobile QBs, using designed rollouts and designed QB runs, we might finally see what his ceiling really is. 

IMO, we haven't seen it yet. 

Like Kaep and Kyler - he can't hit the broad side of a barn using his arm.

TEN took off like a rocket ship once they realized this and put a QB on the field.

Whatever.... a wasted year for ATL regardless, I guess it doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
MM's numbers in relief of Carr: 

completed 60 percent of his 30 throws at 7.7 yards per attempt. He also added 13 carries for 87 yards and a rushing score

Small sample size, but hey - he could have stunk up the place on those opportunities as well & he didn't. 

MM's numbers in relief of Carr: 

completed 60 percent of his 30 throws at 7.7 yards per attempt. He also added 13 carries for 87 yards and a rushing score

Small sample size, but hey - he could have stunk up the place on those opportunities as well & he didn't. 
I mean, he's better than Geno Smith, so he's got that going for him.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Marcus Mariota's contract with the Falcons is "effectively" a one-year, $6.75 million deal with a $12 million option in 2023. 

Mariota will get a $5 million signing bonus as Atlanta's presumed Week 1 starter following the team's trade of Matt Ryan to the Colts. Mariota's deal includes a $3 million roster bonus at the start of the 2023 league year -- money he might not see if he struggles in the Falcons' talent-bare offense this season. Mariota seems like a bridge QB option until the team can land a long-term starter, but a solid 2022 season could put him under center once again in 2023. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Mar 22, 2022, 8:26 AM ET

Like Kaep and Kyler - he can't hit the broad side of a barn using his arm.

TEN took off like a rocket ship once they realized this and put a QB on the field.

No.

Henry had a down slump and wasn't playing like Henry. He met with Eddie George and worked with him. The Titans brought back his college fullback. Then Henry got rolling and took over.

Tannehill and Mariota stats thru three quarters were almost identical- as close as it gets in sports. Including a big struggle to muster up many passing yards or extend drives other than with Henry.

In here also was the Titans former Patriots finally ditching the concept of Lewis being their main RB over Henry. There was a garbage concept where Henry got the first Q and Lewis got the second for like 6 weeks.

In the fourth Q, Henry was outstanding (all the tired D talk) and Tannehill was phenomenal. Literally some of the best fourth quarter play ever. If you look Henry will have a crazy average, Tannehill will be like 10 for 10 with 2 TDs. 

Cujones, huge cujones by Arthur Smith.

They were not winning thru most three Qs of play. He was taking too long to figure out what worked against the D but he has complete confidence he'd figure it out and he sure did. Whew did they rock in the fourth Q that year.

Late in the year, they got their first first quarter TD which is beyond pathetic but Arthur was better. Tannehill started to put up full games of good play. Henry was still dominating and Lewis was firmly benched. AJB had progressed from a nervous rookie to starting to showing his own form of beast mode. 

Henry, Arthur, and AJB were huge proponents in the Titans turnaround that year. Tannehill only had great fourth quarters. 

Feel free to see every game thread where Dolphins fans mock him thru three quarters

This is fascinating to me on so many levels.

The Titans were supposedly unhappy with Tannehill and looking to upgrade to a QB that can take them further in the playoffs. I was thinking that's bunk but that was their logic for moving on from Mularkey (who turned them around and made the playoffs) to Vrabel. I blame the low level WRs he had to throw to and lack of tight ends and rolling with an injury comeback Henry while Foreman was amidst the best play of his career. Still he forced a few throws and got some obvious INTs. I just think this was all simply what happens- Tannehill is their boy (and Vrabel would say so) but he needed to get some flack for a bad playoff game. That's it, just necessary evil.

The Falcons had to have had preliminary discussions to sign Mariota so quickly after the Ryan trade.

Mariota was not allowed to be Mariota. The Titans offense that got Arthur noticed was the one he designed to suit MM8, not Tannehill. You might remember Tannehill running more that year than ever before. Mariota had had a new OC like every year and Arthur made a smush of LaFleur and Mularkey's O so the whole team didn't have to learn a new one.

He benched MM8.

We all know Mariota learned the Raiders O so now he's onto yet another new offense.

Arthur was a magician manufacturing more wins than we expected for Atlanta, probably 3-4 more. Still a coach's job largely hinges on QB play- Yet Arthur wanted Mariota- amidst a giant musical chairs of QBs it was clearly Watson or Mariota.

Mariota is a wonderful ad-libbing QB with some of the best wheels ever (4.4?) that was largely told to stay in the pocket behind a bad OL and not ad-lib.

Why?

Arthur was the red zone coordinator in TEN before he was the OC and Mariota had some best ever red zone stats during that time. The only spot on the field he was allowed to be Mariota btw. Super efficient and productive in the red zone. Their prob was getting there, not scoring, he rocked inside the 20. I remember 80 something percent, a long streak of no INTs, and a streak of not being stopped.

I'm guessing Arthur envisions that guy the rest of the field. 

No one questions Mariota's character or work ethic and really never has. He's just a good boy grown up.

BUT BUT BUT.

Sports isn't kind like this and offering second chances. 

I believe this means the Falcons will draft their QB and Mariota is holding a spot.

There isn't anyone better to show a young QB how to behave and be an example. Mariota knowing the offense (to some degree) will help. Having him in the QB room for the rookie.

That's sports. I'd bet $ on it if I could that they will draft their future QB. Mariota will get some games, maybe a year.

I like the concept of Mariota getting a second chance, he's a super special young man, but as a QB everyone questions him and it's more likely he is a placeholder and mentor for a rookie.

No.

Henry had a down slump and wasn't playing like Henry. He met with Eddie George and worked with him. The Titans brought back his college fullback. Then Henry got rolling and took over.

Tannehill and Mariota stats thru three quarters were almost identical- as close as it gets in sports. Including a big struggle to muster up many passing yards or extend drives other than with Henry.

In here also was the Titans former Patriots finally ditching the concept of Lewis being their main RB over Henry. There was a garbage concept where Henry got the first Q and Lewis got the second for like 6 weeks.

In the fourth Q, Henry was outstanding (all the tired D talk) and Tannehill was phenomenal. Literally some of the best fourth quarter play ever. If you look Henry will have a crazy average, Tannehill will be like 10 for 10 with 2 TDs. 

Cujones, huge cujones by Arthur Smith.

They were not winning thru most three Qs of play. He was taking too long to figure out what worked against the D but he has complete confidence he'd figure it out and he sure did. Whew did they rock in the fourth Q that year.

Late in the year, they got their first first quarter TD which is beyond pathetic but Arthur was better. Tannehill started to put up full games of good play. Henry was still dominating and Lewis was firmly benched. AJB had progressed from a nervous rookie to starting to showing his own form of beast mode. 

Henry, Arthur, and AJB were huge proponents in the Titans turnaround that year. Tannehill only had great fourth quarters. 

Feel free to see every game thread where Dolphins fans mock him thru three quarters

You say it yourself.

You recognize Tannehill was great when the game was on the line - that alone is a stratospheric improvement over Mariota.  Tannehill won CPOY.  The team went to the AFC championship game the year they finally threw Mariota to the curb. 

ATL signing him is a simple strategy to lock up the #1 pick next year.  A white flag.  Hopefully they draft a QB and give him playing time.

It was a wasted year either way. Mariotta is only a bridge because even bad teams have to throw a few veteran professionals out there. If the Falcons draft a QB at 1.08, Mariotta will be benched by Week 5/6 unless he's the Mariotta that he was at Oregon.

Pretty simple...MM is a a bridge QB for Atlanta right now (contract makes it obvious among other things) but since there may not be any draft and play right away rookies this year, he will be in a position to audition this year with the opportunity to potentially upgrade to a legit starting QB for another team in 2022...not sure how it will play out but this is a great opportunity for him to prove he is more Tannehill than Bridgewater.

In Superflex, I'd flip immediately on this news unless you were desperate at QB. It's looking like the Falcons are looking at QBs with their pick.

If that doesn't work than hopefully flip him to the Owner that drafts the Atlanta QB...or if you are the Mariotta Owner, draft the Atlanta Rookie QB and tighten-up your QB depth.

It was a wasted year either way. Mariotta is only a bridge because even bad teams have to throw a few veteran professionals out there. If the Falcons draft a QB at 1.08, Mariotta will be benched by Week 5/6 unless he's the Mariotta that he was at Oregon.

Agreed, in fact Mariota just cements it - like I said above, a white flag.

Pending what they draft - I might give him a 9-10 games (if draft QB), or just let him flounder the whole year if no QB is drafted.

Pretty simple...MM is a a bridge QB for Atlanta right now (contract makes it obvious among other things) but since there may not be any draft and play right away rookies this year, he will be in a position to audition this year with the opportunity to potentially upgrade to a legit starting QB for another team in 2022...not sure how it will play out but this is a great opportunity for him to prove he is more Tannehill than Bridgewater.
That’s the hope - that he shows more than he’s shown, and next year he can be a QB3 foR me. 

If that doesn't work than hopefully flip him to the Owner that drafts the Atlanta QB...or if you are the Mariotta Owner, draft the Atlanta Rookie QB and tighten-up your QB depth.
I might be the owner that drafts the ATL QB in ‘23. I’ll have to flip him to myself. 

:(  

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL

Marcus hasn't been a starter since 2018.

30 attempts over the last two seasons.

He can't be your 17-game plan at QB.

Dimitry @Dimitry7688

Marcus is a starter

depends who they draft. I’m fairly confident if they draft Willis, MM starts most if not all year. Howell or Coral probably start by mid season. But I’d bet against them taking a QB this year.  instead it’s WR, OT, our edge rusher. 

ATL signing him is a simple strategy to lock up the #1 pick next year.  A white flag.  Hopefully they draft a QB and give him playing time.
Most likely they’ll get to choose between Bryce Young and CJ Stroud. Teams don’t usually go into the season expecting to get the #1 pick, but the only way that doesn’t happen is if MM finally lives up to his potential. Even that probably isn’t enough. 

Good thing Mariota is mobile, he's going to need it.
Might could be some sneaky FF value in those legs.

it’ll be fun to see the reunion with Smith. If he looks 80% as good as he did in limited action with the Raiders, he’s gonna be a bargain in SF for anyone who got him on the cheap before he signed in ATL.

Who knows - maybe he’ll resurrect his career. 28 isn’t old for a QB. 

Also, hypothetically, there’s a chance -  however small - that MM has developed in the last couple years & plays well.

Not that I believe it will happen, but imagine what a luxury it would be for the Falcons if MM showed the talent that made him such a high draft pick & they didn’t have to draft a QB in 2022 or 2023.

Its a longshot, but trading down instead of taking a QB at 1.0? sure would help them to rebuild faster.

There are a lot of needs on that team. 

It’s really unlikely. But it’s possible. 

Arthur and the GM have to win by....what year? Year three?

He was impressive getting a few more wins than expected last year but that still counts as a year.

Does he have the latitude to win in year four if a rookie takes three years? 

Davis didn't pan out as well and Cordarelle is more useful, a year after Gurley's career was abruptly over and Arthur is known for Henry's offense. We're talking a lot about QB but they could be all about RB

Arthur and the GM have to win by....what year? Year three?

He was impressive getting a few more wins than expected last year but that still counts as a year.

Does he have the latitude to win in year four if a rookie takes three years? 

Davis didn't pan out as well and Cordarelle is more useful, a year after Gurley's career was abruptly over and Arthur is known for Henry's offense. We're talking a lot about QB but they could be all about RB
I assumed ATL wouldn’t be taking a 1st round QB in 2022. 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
It just hit me that they have a bad OL and no WRs. 
It’s Pitts and Patterson. They kinda have to go WR or OL heavy in the draft. Luckily for them there are a few of each worth considering who should fall to them with their first. Assuming they aren’t sold on one the QBs this year, Wilson would be ideal, assuming one of the big 3 OT don’t fall that far. 

but yeah, MM isn’t set up for success here. 

This is my surprised face:  :mellow:

ESPN's Michael Rothstein believes Marcus Mariota is "far ahead" of rookie QB Desmond Ridder on the Falcons depth chart. 

Rothstein said a training camp or preseason injury would be the only way Ridder finds himself under center for Atlanta in Week 1. Mariota's familiarity with head coach Arthur Smith's offense has given him a distinct edge throughout OTAs and minicamp, Rothstein added (Mariota played under Smith in Tennessee). This report runs contrary to spring reporting that said Ridder was hot on Mariota's heels to nab the Week 1 starting job in Smith's offense. Look for Ridder to take over when the down-bad Falcons fall out of postseason contention in the second half of the season. In the meantime, Mariota's rushing ability offers some fantasy appeal in deeper leagues. 

I'm actually intrigued by Mariota.  Not necessarily from an FF perspective but can he re-establish himself.  Seems to be beloved by former teammates. I  think it says something about him that a coach that benched him years prior was his first call after they traded Ryan.  Jamies is still getting chances...talent hasn't been the issue with Mariota.

I'm actually intrigued by Mariota.  Not necessarily from an FF perspective but can he re-establish himself.  Seems to be beloved by former teammates. I  think it says something about him that a coach that benched him years prior was his first call after they traded Ryan.  Jamies is still getting chances...talent hasn't been the issue with Mariota.
I agree - and I didn’t think he was fully utilized to his strengths in TEN. That was back when “rushing QBs” had shackles on their ankles outside of Vick. In Oakland they let MM run a little more and he looked really good at times.

I’m wondering if he can parlay this opportunity into a rejuvenated career - maybe it won’t be with ATL, but it could open some doors for opportunity in 2023 if he shows well.

The problem is Atlanta has one of the worst offensive lines in the league, their runningbacks are also below average, they are weak at the receiver position, and they will constantly have negative game scripts because their below average defense is anchored by the worst linebacking group in the nfl.

:tfp:

The problem is Atlanta has one of the worst offensive lines in the league, their runningbacks are also below average, they are weak at the receiver position, and they will constantly have negative game scripts because their below average defense is anchored by the worst linebacking group in the nfl.

:tfp:
That’s where MM’s rushing ability will come in handy though. He should be able to go off-script a lot more than Ryan, who was a statue. 

That’s where MM’s rushing ability will come in handy though. He should be able to go off-script a lot more than Ryan, who was a statue. 
I've always thought Mariota kind of got a raw deal. Tannehill came in and played at a HOF level to win the job in TEN, and Carr is much better than a lot of people thought. So when you really look at the circumstances in each case Mariota was beaten out by a couple of guys that played really well to keep him off the field.

That said, I didn't like how he looked in this exact offense the first time through. It may speak well that the OC wanted him back, but it just never looked like the right fit to me in TEN. Always felt like he would have been better off in a more wide open system, with more empty backfields and receiver options because he seems very, very careful to only throw to a guy that is OPEN.... and that's tough to do in the NFL. He kind of reminds me of Alex Smith in that way which isn't a slap in the face. Alex Smith grew into a very solid QB in the second half of his career.

Not gonna lie, I always thought he would end up the successor to Brady and flourishing in that system in NE. I still insist he would have been a much, MUCH better fit than Cam Newton in that system.

I've always thought Mariota kind of got a raw deal. Tannehill came in and played at a HOF level to win the job in TEN, and Carr is much better than a lot of people thought. So when you really look at the circumstances in each case Mariota was beaten out by a couple of guys that played really well to keep him off the field.

That said, I didn't like how he looked in this exact offense the first time through. It may speak well that the OC wanted him back, but it just never looked like the right fit to me in TEN. Always felt like he would have been better off in a more wide open system, with more empty backfields and receiver options because he seems very, very careful to only throw to a guy that is OPEN.... and that's tough to do in the NFL. He kind of reminds me of Alex Smith in that way which isn't a slap in the face. Alex Smith grew into a very solid QB in the second half of his career.

Not gonna lie, I always thought he would end up the successor to Brady and flourishing in that system in NE. I still insist he would have been a much, MUCH better fit than Cam Newton in that system.
I liked what I saw in replacement of Carr when he got hurt.

I’m wondering if Smith will adapt and evolve his system to allow MM to utilize his skill set. 

IMO he has the talent, but like you said, he’s never been put in a position to succeed, handcuffed by his offensive scheme.

Maybe that’ll change this year.  The challenge there is that what’s best for ATL is to fail. lol 

I’m wondering if Smith will adapt and evolve his system to allow MM to utilize his skill set. 
I expected 2022 to be a disaster for ATL because I didn't think Smith could adapt his system downgrading from Henry as the focal point to Mike Davis(who I assumed would be their leading rusher at the time). Smith really impressed me by adjusting his system to make chicken salad out of Patterson. Maybe he can make more adjustments than I give him credit for. 

ATL could have finished .500 or maybe even a game over if they would not have had to deal with the Ridley soap opera. It was pretty shocking to me they won 7 games, but maybe most of that credit should go to Ryan for holding the pieces together.

ATL could have finished .500 or maybe even a game over if they would not have had to deal with the Ridley soap opera. It was pretty shocking to me they won 7 games, but maybe most of that credit should go to Ryan for holding the pieces together.
i thought Ryan looked washed and/or disinterested, with some truly boneheaded throws that I was totally unaccustomed to seeing him make. Bad reads, dumb Ints, and way more 3 & outs by just not reading his progressions or overthrowing bunny passes.

I think they coulda won 9 games had Ryan not been so off focus.

Check the link posted above - it’s a great breakdown by Warner of Ryan’s play, which at times was head-scratchingly poor. 

I've always thought Mariota kind of got a raw deal. Tannehill came in and played at a HOF level to win the job in TEN, (snip)

That said, I didn't like how he looked in this exact offense the first time through. It may speak well that the OC wanted him back, but it just never looked like the right fit to me in TEN. Always felt like he would have been better off in a more wide open system, with more empty backfields and receiver options because he seems very, very careful to only throw to a guy that is OPEN.... and that's tough to do in the NFL. 
Few things about back then:

Arthur didn't like how he ran the offense the first several games and said he put Marcus in a bad situation.

The Titans stopped pretending Dion Lewis could be a key cog and Derrick Henry tore up the league.

Marcus was sacked an awful lot and his best WRs was Richard Matthews with several failed picks like Hunter, Wright, and DGB.

Tannehill and Marcus had almost the same stats thru quarters 1-3 through 13-14 weeks. Tannehill was phenomenal in the fourth Q which is also when Henry had some ridiculous average per rush.

AJB took several games to get comfy in the NFL and get rolling

Marcus-Sankey, Cobb, and Antonio Andrews.

Tannehill- Derrick Henry and AJB

It's not at all equal so a lot of Titans fans hung onto Marcus wondering how he'd do in that situation 

It's not at all equal so a lot of Titans fans hung onto Marcus wondering how he'd do in that situation 
Well, I'll definitely be rooting for him to succeed. And for that matter I think they got a steal in Ridder because I was high on him before the draft.

I'm cautious though because if the reason he had trouble in the past was he didn't have Henry around to take the focus of the defense off of him, and AJ hadn't broken out into a superstar at WR so his WR's were unproven, and the OL didn't do a great job to protect him..... well, that sounds an awful lot like his current situation(unless you are big believer in London). Mariota has always seemed like a smart guy to me so maybe he'll be better at this point in his career at managing those challenges. Definitely would rather avoid seeing Ridder on the field too early to give him the absolute best chance to have success when he does make his way to the field.

Few things about back then:

Arthur didn't like how he ran the offense the first several games and said he put Marcus in a bad situation.

The Titans stopped pretending Dion Lewis could be a key cog and Derrick Henry tore up the league.

Marcus was sacked an awful lot and his best WRs was Richard Matthews with several failed picks like Hunter, Wright, and DGB.

Tannehill and Marcus had almost the same stats thru quarters 1-3 through 13-14 weeks. Tannehill was phenomenal in the fourth Q which is also when Henry had some ridiculous average per rush.

AJB took several games to get comfy in the NFL and get rolling

Marcus-Sankey, Cobb, and Antonio Andrews.

Had forgotten several of these points.  Thanks for the refresh.

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
i thought Ryan looked washed and/or disinterested, with some truly boneheaded throws that I was totally unaccustomed to seeing him make. Bad reads, dumb Ints, and way more 3 & outs by just not reading his progressions or overthrowing bunny passes.

I think they coulda won 9 games had Ryan not been so off focus.

Check the link posted above - it’s a great breakdown by Warner of Ryan’s play, which at times was head-scratchingly poor. 
Many of us will be quite pleased if Ryan doesn’t do well this year. Especially if MM does. 

Users who are viewing this thread