What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (3 Viewers)

Well, I'll definitely be rooting for him to succeed. And for that matter I think they got a steal in Ridder because I was high on him before the draft.

I'm cautious though because if the reason he had trouble in the past was he didn't have Henry around to take the focus of the defense off of him, and AJ hadn't broken out into a superstar at WR so his WR's were unproven, and the OL didn't do a great job to protect him..... well, that sounds an awful lot like his current situation(unless you are big believer in London). Mariota has always seemed like a smart guy to me so maybe he'll be better at this point in his career at managing those challenges. Definitely would rather avoid seeing Ridder on the field too early to give him the absolute best chance to have success when he does make his way to the field.
Well, ya know...the RB and WR position is a star position. The Titans failed over n over with talented athletes like many teams do. If Hunter was a gem or DGB or...things would have been a lot different.

Atlanta (not counting Ridley) has some really promising young talent and they're big just like Smith covets.

The run game is a problem and I don't think they solved it. Their line is better but it's not there. They can't build a great team in one off-season so those are their glaring weaknesses. The stable of targets is getting stacked though so....progress.

Marcus is intelligent and careful with excellent ball placement. The Titans had bad WRs that couldn't win battles and he often found a way to get it to Matthews or Delanie. When those two faded, so did Marcus' play. It's extremely difficult to play QB in the league behind a bad OL with WRs that can't win one on one. He developed a bad panicking habit that most assumed would continue. Las Vegas had some nice targets and when he played, he was not panicky. It appears it was related to the quality of targets. He never got enough reps to get real confident but he looked good and made us wonder if he's gonna be ok.

I think Atlanta has pieces they can scheme with- a good assortment of guys that are probably a mismatch many snaps each week. 

They were a 3-4 win team that stole some games last year to have a better record than anyone expected so the team has totally bought into Pees and Smith. 

They could get lucky and claim some linemen on the WW that pan out but it's probably next year.

Marcus playing shotgun in OTAs is something he wasn't allowed to do in Ten much because "he has to learn to stay in the pocket." A lot of quotes on his speed make me wonder what he was doing for players to see him running. We don't have much info to go on but that little bit is a little positive. 

I wouldn't put Marcus up for gaudy stats. He never really was much for FF. He needs to survive a year behind another bad OL and not stir up bad habits. If so then he's got a rejuvenated career.

(Today my guess) If not, I don't know that Ridder plays a lot. Suppose Marcus takes 4-5 wicked hits from DL. No one in Atlanta is going to be saying let's get Ridder beaten up. It's a lot safer to buy him some time here n there and hand the reins over in 2023 with a "don't panic like Marcus" message.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have goal line packages for Ridder to come in and run. The Titans bring both coaches and QBs along with their first step being to learn red zone offense. They can get Ridder a taste of NFL action and enjoy his athleticism leading to points too.

Marcus is very much the punching bag here while Ridder is some jewel. I think way too many people are not considering this

Well, ya know...the RB and WR position is a star position. The Titans failed over n over with talented athletes like many teams do. If Hunter was a gem or DGB or...things would have been a lot different.

Atlanta (not counting Ridley) has some really promising young talent and they're big just like Smith covets.

The run game is a problem and I don't think they solved it. Their line is better but it's not there. They can't build a great team in one off-season so those are their glaring weaknesses. The stable of targets is getting stacked though so....progress.

Marcus is intelligent and careful with excellent ball placement. The Titans had bad WRs that couldn't win battles and he often found a way to get it to Matthews or Delanie. When those two faded, so did Marcus' play. It's extremely difficult to play QB in the league behind a bad OL with WRs that can't win one on one. He developed a bad panicking habit that most assumed would continue. Las Vegas had some nice targets and when he played, he was not panicky. It appears it was related to the quality of targets. He never got enough reps to get real confident but he looked good and made us wonder if he's gonna be ok.

I think Atlanta has pieces they can scheme with- a good assortment of guys that are probably a mismatch many snaps each week. 

They were a 3-4 win team that stole some games last year to have a better record than anyone expected so the team has totally bought into Pees and Smith. 

They could get lucky and claim some linemen on the WW that pan out but it's probably next year.

Marcus playing shotgun in OTAs is something he wasn't allowed to do in Ten much because "he has to learn to stay in the pocket." A lot of quotes on his speed make me wonder what he was doing for players to see him running. We don't have much info to go on but that little bit is a little positive. 

I wouldn't put Marcus up for gaudy stats. He never really was much for FF. He needs to survive a year behind another bad OL and not stir up bad habits. If so then he's got a rejuvenated career.

(Today my guess) If not, I don't know that Ridder plays a lot. Suppose Marcus takes 4-5 wicked hits from DL. No one in Atlanta is going to be saying let's get Ridder beaten up. It's a lot safer to buy him some time here n there and hand the reins over in 2023 with a "don't panic like Marcus" message.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have goal line packages for Ridder to come in and run. The Titans bring both coaches and QBs along with their first step being to learn red zone offense. They can get Ridder a taste of NFL action and enjoy his athleticism leading to points too.

Marcus is very much the punching bag here while Ridder is some jewel. I think way too many people are not considering this
Interesting perspective. I’d think they would want to see what Riddler can do unless MM looks like a franchise QB.
Most likely they draft another QB early next year but If either of these guys can be “the man” in Atlanta, that would be free to draft a player like will Anderson or Jalen Carter. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting perspective. I’d think they would want to see what Riddler can do unless MM looks like a franchise QB.
Most likely they draft another QB early next year but If either of these guys can be “the man” in Atlanta, that would be free to draft a player like will Anderson or Jalen Carter. 
I had put something on Twitter like "don't act like these QBs are first round picks now" so that was my view.

On XM, Pat Kirwan, Gradkowski, and even some of their guests have been emphatic about this illusion people have created. 

First round QBs are treated this way. Third round quarterbacks are treated that way. We have always knew this and the NFL has always had this method. (Vague but I'm sure you know)

This off-season many people have tried to make a third a first.

Kirwan explains the media and fan expectations have some influence with a first but the real issue is money. Coaches and GMs have to answer to ownership about first round picks. They do about all players but there's an urgency and extra inquiry about firsts. He says the pressure is off. He discussed several non first round QBs and how they were developed and everything is so different so laid back.

In hindsight, he thinks all the GMs got Willis right. He has decision making issues and needs time to develop. (He questions if he'll ever be successful and a guest compared his decision making to Jameis) The third round gives teams that opportunity. 

When he mentions Ridder he says the urgency is gone. Fans and media seem to want it there but he swears he's never ever heard of any situation where a team felt pressure to play a third round pick.

Fontenot was on and confirmed what Kirwan said. He said of course they want all their picks to contribute and do well but it's not there for Ridder. He has time if they feel it's necessary. He discussed how they all practice in hopes of starting and prepare the same but in his opinion it was a dream come true to get Ridder so late. 

Please note none of this means Ridder won't start or they don't want him to be a gem and start. It just is this weird occurrence this off-season where we have put third round picks as first rounders.

I had put something on Twitter like "don't act like these QBs are first round picks now" so that was my view.

On XM, Pat Kirwan, Gradkowski, and even some of their guests have been emphatic about this illusion people have created. 

First round QBs are treated this way. Third round quarterbacks are treated that way. We have always knew this and the NFL has always had this method. (Vague but I'm sure you know)

This off-season many people have tried to make a third a first.

Kirwan explains the media and fan expectations have some influence with a first but the real issue is money. Coaches and GMs have to answer to ownership about first round picks. They do about all players but there's an urgency and extra inquiry about firsts. He says the pressure is off. He discussed several non first round QBs and how they were developed and everything is so different so laid back.

In hindsight, he thinks all the GMs got Willis right. He has decision making issues and needs time to develop. (He questions if he'll ever be successful and a guest compared his decision making to Jameis) The third round gives teams that opportunity. 

When he mentions Ridder he says the urgency is gone. Fans and media seem to want it there but he swears he's never ever heard of any situation where a team felt pressure to play a third round pick.

Fontenot was on and confirmed what Kirwan said. He said of course they want all their picks to contribute and do well but it's not there for Ridder. He has time if they feel it's necessary. He discussed how they all practice in hopes of starting and prepare the same but in his opinion it was a dream come true to get Ridder so late. 

Please note none of this means Ridder won't start or they don't want him to be a gem and start. It just is this weird occurrence this off-season where we have put third round picks as first rounders.
Right. The great thing for the falcons and somewhat for Riddler, If he “only” ends up being a solid backup QB, the pick will a be a success. If he’s Anything more that’s a bonus. You want Russell Wilson but even if he’s Brian griese or Mike Glennon, I think that’s a decent pick. 

Marcus Mariota completed 20-of-33 passes for 215 yards in the Falcons' 27-26, Week 1 loss to the Saints, adding 12 rushes for 72 additional yards and a touchdown.

A largely positive Falcons debut for Mariota was overshadowed by a pair of fumbles, one of which he lost as the Saints were mounting a comeback in the third quarter. The second cough up was recovered, but turned a 3rd-and-1 into a 4th-and-1 punt that resulted in the Saints' game-winning field goal drive. Never known for being adventurous as a passer in Tennessee, Mariota had a pair of 20-plus yard completions but averaged a modest 6.5 yards per attempt. He could find Kyle Pitts only twice for 19 yards. He did connect with Drake London for 5/74 in London's NFL debut. It was about what you would expect from a Mariota start, minus a more aggressive rushing mentality. If he maintains that going forward, he should be a solid QB2 streamer. The Rams are a tough Week 2 matchup.

- NBCSportsEDGE

I tried telling y’all MM was worth a flier in SF leagues.

Dude looked pretty good to me. I wonder if he can parlay 2022 into a starting gig somewhere in 2023.

His health is an annual question mark of course. A lot of rushing can lead to a lot of bruising.

Still - not a bad game 1 performance.

Marcus Mariota completed 7-of-19 passes for 139 scoreless yards and one interception in the Falcons' 23-20, Week 4 win over the Browns, adding 3 yards on 5 carries.

That's a miserable 36.8% completion rate for Mariota, though he still averaged 7.3 yards per attempt with four completions of 20-plus yards. The Falcons' three-man backfield of Cordarrelle Patterson, Tyler Allgeier, and Caleb Huntley combined for 29/178/2 on the ground to carry the offense. Mariota won't be an exciting Week 5 play on the road against the Bucs' top-ranked defense.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Falcons are 2-2 and probably should be 3-1 with Mariota playing well except for this past weekend. They obviously decided to just keep pounding the run this weekend since Cleveland couldn't stop it.

This si the problem wit Mariotta - leads you to believe he can be competent streamer then drops the stinker on you....brutal

Marcus Mariota completed 8-of-13 passes for 124 yards and a touchdown in the Falcons' 35-17, Week 7 loss to the Bengals, adding six carries for 31 additional yards.

The Falcons were down 21-0 at the 14:55 mark of the second quarter, 28-17 at halftime and 35-17 with 5:20 remaining in the third quarter and somehow attempted only 13 passes. It's just not a serious offensive approach, especially for a team that has invested back-to-back top-eight picks in pass catchers. Marcus Mariota is not a plus passer, but it is utterly ridiculous to have him attempt a combined six throws to Kyle Pitts and Drake London, as was the case this afternoon. If this is how the Falcons feel about Mariota, perhaps it is time to get a look at Desmond Ridder. We would not expect that to happen in Week 8 against the Panthers, where the Falcons will be able to employ their run-first approach to greater effect.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Marcus Mariota completed 12-of-23 passes for 129 yards and added 24 yards on five carries in the Falcons' 20-17, Week 9 loss to the Chargers.

Mariota missed Kyle Pitts on what would have been a touchdown of more than 70 yards, though it could be argued Pitts failed to adjust to a catchable deep throw. This was the fifth time in nine starts that Mariota has been held under 150 passing yards. Hidden behind a run-first philosophy, Mariota has no floor or ceiling as a fantasy option. He should only be rostered in Superflex leagues heading into Week 10.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Marcus Mariota completed 19-of-30 passes for 186 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Falcons' 25-15, Week 10 loss to the Panthers, adding three rushes for 43 additional yards.​

Although the multi-score outing was Mariota's third in the past five weeks, he's now been held below 200 yards passing every game but one since Week 3. He was lucky to escape with only one interception this evening, at one point appearing to throw a truly ghastly pick-six before it was revealed he had already been touched down. His scores was excellent throws to Drake London and especially Olamide Zaccheaus, but Mariota misses far too many layups to offer actual upside as a passer. We have to be getting closer to seeing some Desmond Ridder from the 4-6 Falcons, though it probably won't be Week 11 vs. the Bears.
Nov 10, 2022, 11:31 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Falcons "are moving forward with QB Marcus Mariota."​

He added, "as long as they are still in the mix, that should remain the case." Falcons head coach Arthur Smith shot down the idea of trying out rookie quarterback Desmond Ridder earlier in the week. At 4-6, Atlanta is only one game behind the Bucs for first place in the NFC South. Despite coming off a pair of losses, Mariota is firmly entrenched as the starter. His rushing potential keeps him in play as a streaming option, but only as a low-ceiling QB2.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Nov 20, 2022, 8:22 AM ET

Marcus Mariota completed 13-of-20 passes for 131 yards and a touchdown in the Falcons' 27-24, Week 11 win over the Bears, adding 13 carries for 25 additional yards and a touchdown.​

It was the third time this season Mariota scored both through the air and on the ground. For the passing touchdown, he hit Drake London for a two-yard score after buying time with his legs and letting London run the entire length of the end zone. For the rushing, Mariota kept a zone read and went airborne. Elsewhere on the ground, Mariota was not looking very dynamic, getting hammered for a loss any time he went a direction other than straight ahead. Doing just enough to remain in the mid-range QB2 mix, Mariota has a tough Week 12 matchup in the Commanders.
Nov 20, 2022, 4:18 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Marcus Mariota will not start the Falcons' Week 15 game against the Saints.​

The Falcons used their bye week to promote rookie signal-caller Desmond Ridder to the starting role in a move that was a long time coming. Through 13 games, Mariota has led the Falcons to a 5-8 record while posting a 2219-15-9 line through the air and adding another 85-438-4 on the ground. On the verge of missing the playoffs for a fifth-straight season, the Falcons need to get a good look at Ridder before the end of the season to see whether or not he's a viable option for the team's long-term future. Mariota and the Falcons agreed to a two-year contract this offseason, but can part ways this upcoming offseason with just a $2.5 million dead cap hit.
Dec 8, 2022, 10:57 AM ET

Falcons head coach Arthur Smith said Marcus Mariota (knee) is expected to be placed on injured reserve, ending his season.​

The team is calling this a "chronic knee injury," although little was said of this injury prior to the news of Mariota being benched in favor of rookie quarterback Desmond Ridder. Nevertheless, Mariota's season, and perhaps time with the Falcons appear to be drawing to a close. The team has already signed quarterback Logan Woodside with the expectation that he'll backup Ridder with Mariota being out for the season.
RELATED:
Dec 12, 2022, 2:43 PM ET

Quarterback Marcus Mariota is celebrating the birth of his newborn child. Mariota has been away from the team due to his wife going into labor.

On Monday, head coach Arthur Smith confirmed that rookie signal-caller Desmond Ridder will be the starting quarterback for the Falcons on Sunday against the New Orleans Saints.

Smith also revealed that Mariota could be heading to the Injured Reserve due to a knee injury.

Good for MM.

He played pretty well at times this year. That was really helpful. I figured he’d have SF value.

I’m very pleased that I was able to deal Huntley for him preseason, then turn around and flip him for Mattison. If Mattison ends up with a starting gig in 2023 that’ll be a nice profit.

Good for MM.

He played pretty well at times this year. That was really helpful. I figured he’d have SF value.

I’m very pleased that I was able to deal Huntley for him preseason, then turn around and flip him for Mattison. If Mattison ends up with a starting gig in 2023 that’ll be a nice profit.
On the radio Arthur said he knew the man Marcus is and that he was the perfect addition. He mentioned the team attitude change at TEN and ATL and how he's such a good good guy everyone rallies behind. The Falcons have gotten calls from agents of all sorts of players wanting to play with him- to be part of their turnaround.

He said Marcus made everyone, including him, look good. A whole lot of ad-libbing scrambling around plays were because of execution errors. He and Pees were very impressed with his improved awareness from TEN. He mentioned a play where the WR and TE ran the wrong route, other side the WR is hung up on the defender and Marcus ran for thirty forty yards.

He said he's thrilled with Marcus' impact on the young players and mentioned Pitts having some bad weeks and Marcus keeping him focused and coaching him through it on the field. London won on one route a couple weeks in a row and it was well covered. Marcus stood up in a meeting, showing on film, they gotta stop calling it, then a few weeks later, on the sideline, he's begging for it because it'll work with how that D is playing.

He didn't know what the future holds for him. He hopes he'll stay in ATL. He said he's giving Ridder the keys to the car like a teenager. He didn't say Ridder is the future just yet. If things work out with Ridder and Marcus wants his release he won't stand in his way. He wants him.

After a break, Arthur discussed things Marcus did wrong and every time Arthur took the blame himself- bad play call, we should have coached the other players better etc.

Hosts said, find a bad team needing a new outlook and Marcus is your guy. Then discussing how it'd be nice for him to get a chance somewhere there's a good team around him saying he's always had a questionable offense and OL. They raved about "the Andrews story" Arthur told off the air.

AFAIK that is when Antonio Andrews (stupid play design) was to run up and block a DT one on one. He whiffed and the DT hit Marcus so hard he wrecked his knee. Andrews apologized to Marcus and he said "Did you do the best you could? Then that's just the game man. It's not on you." (It was) Then Marcus called him from the hospital to check on him and make sure Andrews was ok. I've heard that before and it's probably what they were talking about.

I would guess Brady retires or relocates and Tampa goes after Rodgers hard. If that fails, they add Marcus and some other veteran and let them battle it out. I still don't think he did enough to be a franchise QB but he didn't hurt himself. He's very much a "win a camp battle" QB in free agency....if he goes that route

Good for MM.

On the radio Arthur said he knew the man Marcus is and that he was the perfect addition. He mentioned the team attitude change at TEN and ATL and how he's such a good good guy everyone rallies behind. The Falcons have gotten calls from agents of all sorts of players wanting to play with him- to be part of their turnaround.

He said Marcus made everyone, including him, look good. A whole lot of ad-libbing scrambling around plays were because of execution errors. He and Pees were very impressed with his improved awareness from TEN. He mentioned a play where the WR and TE ran the wrong route, other side the WR is hung up on the defender and Marcus ran for thirty forty yards.

He said he's thrilled with Marcus' impact on the young players and mentioned Pitts having some bad weeks and Marcus keeping him focused and coaching him through it on the field. London won on one route a couple weeks in a row and it was well covered. Marcus stood up in a meeting, showing on film, they gotta stop calling it, then a few weeks later, on the sideline, he's begging for it because it'll work with how that D is playing.

He didn't know what the future holds for him. He hopes he'll stay in ATL. He said he's giving Ridder the keys to the car like a teenager. He didn't say Ridder is the future just yet. If things work out with Ridder and Marcus wants his release he won't stand in his way. He wants him.

After a break, Arthur discussed things Marcus did wrong and every time Arthur took the blame himself- bad play call, we should have coached the other players better etc.

Hosts said, find a bad team needing a new outlook and Marcus is your guy. Then discussing how it'd be nice for him to get a chance somewhere there's a good team around him saying he's always had a questionable offense and OL. They raved about "the Andrews story" Arthur told off the air.

AFAIK that is when Antonio Andrews (stupid play design) was to run up and block a DT one on one. He whiffed and the DT hit Marcus so hard he wrecked his knee. Andrews apologized to Marcus and he said "Did you do the best you could? Then that's just the game man. It's not on you." (It was) Then Marcus called him from the hospital to check on him and make sure Andrews was ok. I've heard that before and it's probably what they were talking about.

I would guess Brady retires or relocates and Tampa goes after Rodgers hard. If that fails, they add Marcus and some other veteran and let them battle it out. I still don't think he did enough to be a franchise QB but he didn't hurt himself. He's very much a "win a camp battle" QB in free agency....if he goes that route
I expect he’ll be a backup somewhere next year.

Most of the take-away from his time in Atlanta is he’s a great teammate & a good dude to have on a rebuilding offense.

I think MM could be better/more productive on a better team. I’m just not sure he gets that chance barring injury to a starter - never say never, as it seems to happen a lot.

I expect he’ll be a backup somewhere next year.

Most of the take-away from his time in Atlanta is he’s a great teammate & a good dude to have on a rebuilding offense.

I think MM could be better/more productive on a better team. I’m just not sure he gets that chance barring injury to a starter - never say never, as it seems to happen a lot.
Agreed - he's only 29 and he's still better than most backups out there. Just probably needs to go to a team that is more conducive to his (and the incumbent's) style in case he needs to fill in due to injury - like a Philly or Baltimore, for instance.

I texted a bunch of people and what I get back is Marcus' wife had the baby, he was told he's going on IR for sore knees, then he came back to (idk personnel?) and asked if he can get some time off to be with the new baby since he'll be on IR. From there, the Falcons organization has been debating if it's proper and there are people on both sides of the debate.

Also, people keep saying Woodside plays if Ridder gets dinged. I'd bet $ on Frank's at QB before Woodside

The Athletic's Josh Kendall writes a release of Marcus Mariota before June 1 would save the Falcons $12 million in cap space.​

It's presented as an unknown answer in the piece, but given Mariota essentially went AWOL on the team after undergoing surgery post-benching, it's pretty safe money that the Falcons will be releasing Mariota. Mariota's limitations throwing deep were on display in Atlanta's play-action heavy pass offense, but he should be able to catch on somewhere as a backup in 2023 assuming the knee surgery he underwent was successful and he's healthy.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Feb 2, 2023, 2:14 PM ET

Falcons released QB Marcus Mariota.​

After one inglorious season in Arthur Smith's run-heavy offense, Mariota will likely seek a backup job elsewhere in 2023. The move will save the Falcons around $14.5 million against the salary cap. Mariota in December had surgery to repair a "chronic knee injury" that the Falcons refused to discuss in detail during their lost 2022 season. Mariota last season threw for 2,229 yards (171.5 yards per game), 15 touchdowns, and nine interceptions, adding 438 yards on the ground in 13 games. Desmond Ridder, who was 32nd in completion rate over expected among 45 qualifying quarterbacks in 2022, is the odds-on favorite to start for Atlanta in 2023.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Feb 28, 2023 at 10:00 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread