What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Music Draft - Rolling Stone Greatest 500 Songs Garbage List - Now with unhealthy regional pork-stuffs! (1 Viewer)

And by annoyed, I mean with their taste. I don't read that claptrap reviews. I tend to like the songs on the British lists more.
Ah, okay. Don't read the reviews then. They're in exercise in self-importance that allows each writer to revel in his double major of either English and Music Comp or Sociology and Music Comp. It gets pretty annoying pretty quickly. 

I'm not particularly interested in drafting from a different list that overlaps with the one we just did.
NME would have a ton of overlap. 

Pitchfork would have a little but I'm guessing less than 20 songs. 

We could make acclaimed have zero but it's less a list then a random collection of songs.  

NME would have a ton of overlap. 

Pitchfork would have a little but I'm guessing less than 20 songs. 

We could make acclaimed have zero but it's less a list then a random collection of songs.  
Hadn't thought about overlap tbh.

Yeah ...any list with different songs would be better.

I shuffled through the Pitchfork 500 on my walk today. It's pretty different from the RS list, less poppy, more :nerd: as you'd expect. I think some drafters might find it too obscure.

I'm not crazy about doing limited pool drafts back to back but I guess that's the flavor of the month.

ETA: but I don't have a better idea and would probably be in for anything :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
I shuffled through the Pitchfork 500 on my walk today. It's pretty different from the RS list, less poppy, more :nerd: as you'd expect. I think some drafters might find it too obscure.

I'm not crazy about doing limited pool drafts back to back but I guess that's the flavor of the month.

ETA: but I don't have a better idea and would probably be in for anything :bag:
Yeah I would be more interested in something open ended but I’m down for whatever. 

I will throw out ideas that probably don't work as draft.

LEGENDS DRAFT

• Solo legend
  • Group legend
  • living legend
  • legend in their own mind
  • legenendary legend (fictional from a movie, show etc)
  • legend teller
  • legend subject (song about a legend)
  • before their time legend
  • gone too soon legend
  • i don't know

SPORTS: THE DRAFT

• basically the anthem draft i drunk posted
  • home team entrance song
  • visiting team entrance song
  • home team won song
  • home team lost song
  • penalty song
  • walk-up song
  • local sports song
  • song about a player/team in the major US sports
  • song about a player/team outside the major US sports
  • European sports themes
  • again, i don't know i'm making stuff up

AROUND THE WORLD IN 40 DAYS

Bunch of songs from about different places.

2020/EVERYTHING IS AWFUL/DEATH: THE DRAFT

• Protest songs
  • staying home songs
  • going back out songs
  • staying home again songs
  • depression
  • drinking songs
  • death songs
  • disease songs
  • weather songs
  • killer animals songs
  • natural disaster songs
  • #### society, all that matters is me songs
  • freedom anthems
  • this would probably not be allowed by the moderators

Or lets just do another 90s draft, it feels like it's been forever.

That was the worst example of moderation ever on this board. 
I'm going to have to go ahead and say that a ton of alcohol mixed with a lot of willingness to stir up controversy caused me to take out a thread that partially helped get it reinstated. I think I entitled it "Worst Moderation Ever On The Board" or something. Everyone joined. Ahhh, the good old days of unrepentant boozing. 

I'm going to have to go ahead and say that a ton of alcohol mixed with a lot of willingness to stir up controversy caused me to take out a thread that partially helped get it reinstated. I think I entitled it "Worst Moderation Ever On The Board" or something. Everyone joined. Ahhh, the good old days of unrepentant boozing. 
Unrepentant boozing aside, that was needed. They thought we were making fun of Bowie and Petty and Lennon and Hendrix? Like WTF???

Unrepentant boozing aside, that was needed. They thought we were making fun of Bowie and Petty and Lennon and Hendrix? Like WTF???
It was Mr. Ected's "Bring Out Your Dead" joke that did it for the mods. I remember that was discussed and we said no more of that sort of stuff would be joked about and they let us have the thread.  

We did. Amy Winehouse, Nina Simone, and who was the third? It was a girl group, remember? Lou Reed was our songwriter. Jack Bruce was bass. On guitar -- I forget, might have been Hendrix. Keith Moon was our drummer. 
Dusty Springfield was the 3rd. Who was on guitar?

It was Mr. Ected's "Bring Out Your Dead" joke that did it for the mods. I remember that was discussed and we said no more of that sort of stuff would be joked about and they let us have the thread.  

It was the only time I've ever PMed with Joe Bryant. He asked me to change the title which I did but the whole thing was really deflating for me. I took a self-imposed break after that one.

I looked up the PM exchange with Joe. I'd forgotten it happened right after the Las Vegas concert shootings.
Yup, I remember there was a mass shooting and everybody was really on edge. That's why I personally wasn't as put off as I might have otherwise been. I still started a thread, but that's just because I'm melodramatic anyway. 

Meanwhile in drafts, these are the unrolled cats from the Genrepalooza sheet

I See London, I See France (Songs about London or France)
Title Tracks of Albums
Botany 101 (Songs about plants)
"Hand of Doom" - contemporary doom, stoner, psych, and drone.
The Fjords (music from Scandinavia)
Artie and Paul In the Morning (Simon and/or Garfunkel)
Hot 'n Cold (songs about hot, warm, cool or cold)
The TBD Miles Davis concept - still needs some woodshedding

Patriotic Songs (Lee Greenwood and/or Toby Keith Need Not Apply)
Generation Next (daughters and sons of the music biz)
Fleetwood Mac and Anybody Who Was Ever in the Band

Tennessee Channel (Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga and points between) need to decide whether songs about or artists from
Beelze and the Bubs (Songs about the Devil)

Blonde Ambition- Madonna, Brittany, Christina Aguilera and Lady Gaga

Kidz Bop (music by or for kids of all ages)
Associated Acts (Bands with members more famous for another band. Supergroups welcome but no solo material)

Vocal Chords (Songs with great harmony vocals)
Associated Acts (Bands with members more famous for another band. Supergroups welcome but no solo material)
History Channel (songs about historical events)
Eephus' Fresh Hell -- songs 15 or 12 minutes long or more
The Cloud (songs about the sky and flying fauna)

Music Calendar (songs with months or days in them)
Squeezebox Redux (songs featuring the accordion)
The Medium is the Message - songs about television/journalism/newspaper/movies
Pride Mix (songs by or about LGBTQ people)

The Love Channel
Itchy & Scratchy Show (Songs with turntable scratching)
The Remnants (Undrafted songs from Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and their members)

Emerald Isle (Irish Acts)
Remixes not remasters
Songs that make you cry
Radio Radio (songs about the radio, records, cassettes or streaming services)
N'awlins (The music and musicians of New Orleans)

IP Theft (Samples, Samplers & Samplees)
All Goth Radio

Users who are viewing this thread