What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lache Seastrunk - RB - Baylor (1 Viewer)

Local radio guys were talking practice squad for him, but did mention another team would probably try to claim him if Washington tried.

Local radio guys were talking practice squad for him, but did mention another team would probably try to claim him if Washington tried.
I'd be shocked if the Redskins tried that, regardless of what the local radio guys said... they seem to be rather misinformed.

I'd about guarantee someone would claim him happily if Washington waived him.

Just landed him at 2.13 in a start 2 RB 16-teamer... giggity. I think he's gonna shine when the opportunities start coming. Also hope they give him a shot on kick returns... that could be suh-weet.

Who's driving this bandwagon? Has anyone called shotgun?

:hifive:
You're excited about a 6th round RB? While it's possible he could one day be a viable starter, there aren't many Terrell Davis picks that pan out.

Just landed him at 2.13 in a start 2 RB 16-teamer... giggity. I think he's gonna shine when the opportunities start coming. Also hope they give him a shot on kick returns... that could be suh-weet.

You're excited about a 6th round RB? While it's possible he could one day be a viable starter, there aren't many Terrell Davis picks that pan out.
He's an exiting player. I think all you have to do is watch him play vs look at his draft position.

Sure he's got his work cut out for him, but there's a guy on his team who had that same path and is starting.

Honestly part of me wonders too if some of the off-field stuff from his college days pushed the stock down a bit...

Lache sure looks like a talent to me with the ball in his hands. While some considered his combine disappointing, that vert and broad jump he put down were pretty freakin impressive.

Terrell Davis? Dude, look at the very same team as Lache.

He's an exiting player. I think all you have to do is watch him play vs look at his draft position.

Sure he's got his work cut out for him, but there's a guy on his team who had that same path and is starting.
I understand everything you're saying. Still, I'm not wasting a pick on a late rd RB. I did so years ago, and those picks just don't pay off. Morris wasn't even drafted in my dynasty leagues a couple years ago. It was a bidding war once he was named the starter. Lache wasn't drafted until the last (5) round of my rookie drafts.

:confused:

What exactly are you saying here?

I understand everything you're saying. Still, I'm not wasting a pick on a late rd RB. I did so years ago, and those picks just don't pay off. Morris wasn't even drafted in my dynasty leagues a couple years ago. It was a bidding war once he was named the starter. Lache wasn't drafted until the last (5) round of my rookie drafts.
I try to grab promising players to avoid the bidding wars... It's a shame he slipped, still kind of an unknown why, but he's got the talent to contribute or even start in this league IMO. That's a late round guy who's worth it.

Do you just trade all your late picks away?

He's saying that A.Morris already did it so why can't Seastrunk

:lol:

We don't have to throw out names like Terrell Davis and Tom Brady every time we mention a mid-to-late round pick turning into something valuable. Alfred Morris (6th)and Zac Stacy (5th) are more recent examples, and it turns down the hyperbole of saying "6th round pick?? c'mon he's no TD/Brady!"

I try to grab promising players to avoid the bidding wars... It's a shame he slipped, still kind of an unknown why, but he's got the talent to contribute or even start in this league IMO. That's a late round guy who's worth it.

Sometimes I do trade trade them for future picks in earlier rounds. If not, they are used for IDP or depth. I've also been able to land players like Jimmy Graham and Mike Wallace in the 5th. Those picks have paid off more than the Ryan Torains and Jonathon Dwyers and Ciatrick Fasons.

He's saying that A.Morris already did it so why can't Seastrunk
Because Morris isn't going anywhere and they aren't the same type of backs?

Sometimes I do trade trade them for future picks in earlier rounds. If not, they are used for IDP or depth. I've also been able to land players like Jimmy Graham and Mike Wallace in the 5th. Those picks have paid off more than the Ryan Torains and Jonathon Dwyers and Ciatrick Fasons.
So late round TE's and WR's aren't wasted picks up late round RB's are? I don't know if I agree with that.

I use late round picks for any promising but potentially flawed players who fell or were undrafted for whatever reason. I find it strange that RB's are wasted to you yet other positions aren't. What's the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

So late round TE's and WR's aren't wasted picks up late round RB's are? I don't know if I agree with that.

I use late round picks for any promising but potentially flawed players who fell or were undrafted for whatever reason. I find it strange that RB's are wasted to you yet other positions aren't. What's the difference?
I didn't say that. I was just pointing out my success rate with late round picks. That being said, I do think that you're more likely to find a useful fantasy player in a WR and TE than RB. To each his own, but my thinking is that owners tend to waste draft picks on RBs that never pan out. Stud RBs IMO are much easier to trade for than draft. I've also made title games and won championships with less than desirable RBs. Again, I'll let others "waste" their picks on players like Lache. If I miss out, I miss out. I had the 10th pick in both of my dynasties this past year and was ecstatic to get Garropolo at the 5.10 while others grabbed RBs I don't ever see as starters. I'm one to admit that I sometimes make mistakes.

I didn't say that. I was just pointing out my success rate with late round picks. That being said, I do think that you're more likely to find a useful fantasy player in a WR and TE than RB. To each his own, but my thinking is that owners tend to waste draft picks on RBs that never pan out. Stud RBs IMO are much easier to trade for than draft. I've also made title games and won championships with less than desirable RBs. Again, I'll let others "waste" their picks on players like Lache. If I miss out, I miss out. I had the 10th pick in both of my dynasties this past year and was ecstatic to get Garropolo at the 5.10 while others grabbed RBs I don't ever see as starters. I'm one to admit that I sometimes make mistakes.
Fair enough.

he needs to improve as a pass blocker if he wants to get snaps. i think the perception that he can't catch is extremely overblown. i think the perception that he can't pass block is spot on. watching him the other night, you can tell he's a threat with the ball in his hands. that won't be enough to get him on the field with morris and helu in front of him though. they have to be able to rely on him to block for RGIII.

he needs to improve as a pass blocker if he wants to get snaps. i think the perception that he can't catch is extremely overblown. i think the perception that he can't pass block is spot on. watching him the other night, you can tell he's a threat with the ball in his hands. that won't be enough to get him on the field with morris and helu in front of him though. they have to be able to rely on him to block for RGIII.
This is true. He didn't get many opportunities at Baylor and from what you hear out of camp, he hasn't been doing too hot... nor has his main competition Thompson though.

He needs to get opportunities to pass block. I sure as heck hope he does in the next preseason game, because he didn't get any this past game.

Considering the investment, I'd be pretty happy with landing him there as well. In talking about 3rd round picks (12,14 team), I think he's a nice dart. The upside is clearly there and that's what I personally aim for that late in rookie drafts. If he never puts it all together--NBD. If he does, however, he could be a very valable fantasy asset.

This is true. He didn't get many opportunities at Baylor and from what you hear out of camp, he hasn't been doing too hot... nor has his main competition Thompson though.

He needs to get opportunities to pass block. I sure as heck hope he does in the next preseason game, because he didn't get any this past game.
That's why guys that can't pass block fall in the draft. There's only one cure for it, and that's reps. Reps in live action get your QB killed, so those reps have to start out in practice and pre-season. There are only so many of those though, because the guys ahead of him on the depth chart needs them too. So RB's that can't pass block can't play, and guys that can't play (now) fall. I'm not worried one bit about Seastrunk in 2015, and perhaps late in this season. He'll get them in eventually, it will just take a while.

Hankmoody said:
werdnoynek said:
WagesOfZin said:

That's why guys that can't pass block fall in the draft. There's only one cure for it, and that's reps. Reps in live action get your QB killed, so those reps have to start out in practice and pre-season. There are only so many of those though, because the guys ahead of him on the depth chart needs them too. So RB's that can't pass block can't play, and guys that can't play (now) fall. I'm not worried one bit about Seastrunk in 2015, and perhaps late in this season. He'll get them in eventually, it will just take a while.
Good point. Let's see what happens in the upcoming preseason games.

I'm on board this train. Been grabbing up Lache at very cheap prices: 15th round in a startup, 5th round in a rookie draft.

Before the NFL draft, saw him go in the 10th round of a startup. Obviously his draft day tumble and landing spot put a damper on his value, but that's part of what makes the price so low. I'm not really expecting much from him in 2014, but was pleased by his stat line in P1.

First carry: http://www.nfl.com/now/share?id=22b095e6-1ee9-46bb-a54b-f0c3f8076ce1

Playing against third stringers, sure, but a nice little juke.

If you think he can't catch: http://youtu.be/9WAIr3WHjV4

1st play at :16s - regular RB dump off but thrown right at him, makes the play look regular. 2nd play at :25s - up the seam, not unlike Shane Vereen, but with more speed.

Give this guy a chance for a year or two. Look at Ahmad Bradhaw, just 90 carries in first two years. Long term buy-and-hold.

If he can learn to pass block and chip in a play here or there on special teams, he could be in play at RB by 2015. Gruden has no history with Morris, who isn't special, just very efficient. I do love the way he runs, though. Put it this way, if you were playing Madden with RG3, Garcon-Reed-DeSean, who are you going to want out of the backfield from shotgun? Lache has talent and explosion. Pass blocking can be learned; probably not in one year.

I'm on board this train. Been grabbing up Lache at very cheap prices: 15th round in a startup, 5th round in a rookie draft.

Before the NFL draft, saw him go in the 10th round of a startup. Obviously his draft day tumble and landing spot put a damper on his value, but that's part of what makes the price so low. I'm not really expecting much from him in 2014, but was pleased by his stat line in P1.

First carry: http://www.nfl.com/now/share?id=22b095e6-1ee9-46bb-a54b-f0c3f8076ce1

Playing against third stringers, sure, but a nice little juke.

If you think he can't catch: http://youtu.be/9WAIr3WHjV4

1st play at :16s - regular RB dump off but thrown right at him, makes the play look regular. 2nd play at :25s - up the seam, not unlike Shane Vereen, but with more speed.

Give this guy a chance for a year or two. Look at Ahmad Bradhaw, just 90 carries in first two years. Long term buy-and-hold.

If he can learn to pass block and chip in a play here or there on special teams, he could be in play at RB by 2015. Gruden has no history with Morris, who isn't special, just very efficient. I do love the way he runs, though. Put it this way, if you were playing Madden with RG3, Garcon-Reed-DeSean, who are you going to want out of the backfield from shotgun? Lache has talent and explosion. Pass blocking can be learned; probably not in one year.
Yep.

Seastrunk was explosive again on limited reps tonight. Had one he looked he was going to break for a big gain, but was tripped up.

He seemed to get pulled on 3rd down though and Redd was getting reps before him. Curious to see what happens from here... He looked like the best runner on the team again, but he needs to get the reps on 3rd downs or passing plays.

Seastrunk was explosive again on limited reps tonight. Had one he looked he was going to break for a big gain, but was tripped up.

He seemed to get pulled on 3rd down though and Redd was getting reps before him. Curious to see what happens from here... He looked like the best runner on the team again, but he needs to get the reps on 3rd downs or passing plays.
He came in 5th. I hope they aren't stupid, and trying to sneak him on the PS. That's the vibe I got last night. I expected him to play behind Morris and Helu. If they try that, he will be gone.

He came in 5th. I hope they aren't stupid, and trying to sneak him on the PS. That's the vibe I got last night. I expected him to play behind Morris and Helu. If they try that, he will be gone.
Brings to mind this story: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/annual-fear-losing-undrafted-rookies-waivers-full-swing/

Mind you, Seastrunk. was drafted vs undrafted but the point remains the same. The team will keep the 53 they feel best help the team. As will the other 31 teams. There will be a lot of good players waived and most of them will clear waivers and some will make it to the PS (which might be bumped up to 10 players).

3C said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
werdnoynek said:

Brings to mind this story: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/annual-fear-losing-undrafted-rookies-waivers-full-swing/

Mind you, Seastrunk. was drafted vs undrafted but the point remains the same. The team will keep the 53 they feel best help the team. As will the other 31 teams. There will be a lot of good players waived and most of them will clear waivers and some will make it to the PS (which might be bumped up to 10 players).
Seastrunk's talent is obvious and he's outplayed other backs on the team. Royster and Thompson are the likely cuts.

3C said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
werdnoynek said:

Brings to mind this story: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/annual-fear-losing-undrafted-rookies-waivers-full-swing/Mind you, Seastrunk. was drafted vs undrafted but the point remains the same. The team will keep the 53 they feel best help the team. As will the other 31 teams. There will be a lot of good players waived and most of them will clear waivers and some will make it to the PS (which might be bumped up to 10 players).
Seastrunk's talent is obvious and he's outplayed other backs on the team. Royster and Thompson are the likely cuts.
You think they keep Redd on the active roster?

3C said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
werdnoynek said:

Brings to mind this story: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/annual-fear-losing-undrafted-rookies-waivers-full-swing/Mind you, Seastrunk. was drafted vs undrafted but the point remains the same. The team will keep the 53 they feel best help the team. As will the other 31 teams. There will be a lot of good players waived and most of them will clear waivers and some will make it to the PS (which might be bumped up to 10 players).
Thompson is hurt so I think he gets cut. Between Redd and Royster, I think Royster gets cut because he's in the last year of his contract and has probably been outplayed by the rookie.

3C said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
werdnoynek said:

Thompson is hurt so I think he gets cut. Between Redd and Royster, I think Royster gets cut because he's in the last year of his contract and has probably been outplayed by the rookie.
I think Redd would be the choice over Royster as well but the bigger question is how many RBs they keep on the roster.

Last year the Skins kept 4 RBs, 1 FB and just 5 WRs on their initial 53 man roster. I think Gruden is likely to keep at least 6 WRs and possibly only 4 RBs including the FB.

Right now, Morris, Helu, and FB Young are locks to make the 53. So you potentially have Redd, Seastrunk, and Royster battling for one roster spot. I like Seastrunk a lot but Redd perhaps offers more as a between the tackles runner if Morris and/or Helu were to miss time. Redd also seems to be getting into games first and is theoretically higher on the depth chart at the moment. Thompson cannot stay on the field and given all of the other options who've showed well, I'd say he's on the outside looking in now.

Again I like Seastrunk and hope he makes the team but it's far from a lock at this point and I could see a scenario where he's cut along with Thompson and Royster.

3C said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
werdnoynek said:

He's been going up against 3rd or 4th units. From what I've read they like Thompson but he has to get on the field. Can't make the team from the trainers room. Regardless, my point is there is a bit of irrational thought amongst fans of teams who think <insert player> can't be waived or someone else will fly in to scoop him up. Late round draft picks and UFA's are typically "a dime a dozen" in the league. Seastrunk might make the team but I certainly don't think he has a leg up over Royster and the only advantage I feel he has over Redd is he was a draft pick while Redd wasn't.

I think Redd would be the choice over Royster as well but the bigger question is how many RBs they keep on the roster.

Last year the Skins kept 4 RBs, 1 FB and just 5 WRs on their initial 53 man roster. I think Gruden is likely to keep at least 6 WRs and possibly only 4 RBs including the FB.

Right now, Morris, Helu, and FB Young are locks to make the 53. So you potentially have Redd, Seastrunk, and Royster battling for one roster spot. I like Seastrunk a lot but Redd perhaps offers more as a between the tackles runner if Morris and/or Helu were to miss time. Redd also seems to be getting into games first and is theoretically higher on the depth chart at the moment. Thompson cannot stay on the field and given all of the other options who've showed well, I'd say he's on the outside looking in now.

Again I like Seastrunk and hope he makes the team but it's far from a lock at this point and I could see a scenario where he's cut along with Thompson and Royster.
Link

Gruden may have tipped his hand on how many running backs the Redskins will carry. Here is what he said when asked about the status of Evan Royster, who has been with the team as a reserve running back since they drafted him in 2011.

"He's in competition with the rest of them. Right now, we have obviously Alfred [Morris] as the slam dunk and then we have Roy [Helu] who's had a good camp and then we're looking for the other two to step up.”

The emphasis is added. Gruden has said previously that he is looking forward to what fullback Darrel Young can do in his offense so Young, Morris, Helu are locks. Gruden said that they are looking for two more so it looks like the plan is to carry five total running backs.

That would mean that Royster, rookies Lache Seastrunk and Silas Redd, and second-year back Chris Thompson are competing for two roster spots, not just one as some suspect.
The question for me is whether he is counting FB Young as part of the 'other two'. I'm leaning that he isn't and is planning to keep 4 RB's and a FB.

RUNNING BACKS (4)

Chris Thompson needs to return soon or he'll be gone. But Seastrunk has a lot -- a lot -- to prove in the pass game, from catching the ball to protection. Silas Redd could make it more interesting with a solid game against Cleveland. And if they want the guy more ready to play now they'll take Evan Royster. Problem is, he lacks the sort of speed and dynamic ability they want out of this role. This remains fluid and the next three games will determine a lot.

Yeah, I've seen that speculation and a reporter for the Post did his roster projection several days ago and had them keeping Morris, Helu, Thompson, and Young as the four RBs.

From everything I can tell Young is a lock to make the roster so it comes down to keeping 4 RBs vs 5. Either way Seastrunk, Redd, Thompson, and Royster are competing for 1 or 2 spots. I like them in that order.

You can read Gruden's comments about "looking for the other 2" as leaning toward keeping 5 RBs total but I think that's far from a definite at this point.

Yeah, I don't think he makes it to the practice squad despite what the article linked above may suggest. But we shall see. As I said, I prefer Seastrunk but Redd has been impressive as well. I think both are NFL caliber RBs who should get their shot to contribute to a roster over the next few years.

Seastrunk is more appealing to me as a Skins fan b/c IMO he brings an explosive dynamic that this backfield needs. I would really like to see him involved in the passing game to gauge where he's at with that and just how much he needs to improve his receiving skills and pass pro.

Week 4 of the pre-season should be very interesting for this backfield.

Seastrunk is a dynamic runner who will get a shot with some team in this league before it is all said and done. Right now he can be had for little to nothing.

Dynasty buy, assuming deep enough rosters to hold him for a couple of years.

I have been impressed with Silas Redd as well as Seastruck. Washington has a great RB roster battle going on and I may watch their 3rd preseason game just to see who wins.

If Thompson didn't get hurt again it was looking like Lache wasn't even going to make the team. A ways to go in pass protection and receiving. He's got the advantage of being drafted by the current regime, but I wouldn't expect him to do anything big in Washington barring a rash of injuries in their RB core. As a Skins fan I'd like to see them figure out a way to keep him around though, the talent is intriguing

I'd be surprised if the Redskins choose Redd or Thompson over Seastrunk. No way they succeed in sneaking Seastrunk to PS.

Silas Redd performed surprising well, especially in pass protection, but expectations were rather low. He still does not offer anything special over Helu. Seastrunk, on the other hand, showed twice in five minutes the electrifying speed from his college highlights tape. Yeah, against 3rd stringers, but also behind 3rd string OL, so the buzz about him with Redskins beat writers is unmistakable. Further, the talk out of DC is that Seastrunk surprised the new regime with his work ethic (there were character concerns before the draft). He is now getting brownie points for practicing through injury.

All in all, I think he plays mostly special teams in 2014, but if he manages to pick up pass protection, he should carve a role in 2015 and compete to start by 2016.

Lache Seastrunk - RB - Redskins

ESPN 980 Washington's Chris Russell believes sixth-round pick Lache Seastrunk has been outplayed by UDFA Silas Redd in training camp.

Seastrunk has made some explosive plays against deep reserves in preseason games, but has poor hands and is still unable to pass block. Seastrunk is more talented than Redd, but Redd is a more complete back. Perhaps the Redskins will try to stash Seastrunk on their practice squad. He isn't ready to play.

This poor hands narrative needs to stop. He's looked fine as a receiver in training camp. He's had some drops, but he's also had some really impressive natural grabs. He's not Alfred Morris.

I'd be surprised if he didn't make this team.

Lache Seastrunk - RB - Redskins

ESPN 980 Washington's Chris Russell believes sixth-round pick Lache Seastrunk has been outplayed by UDFA Silas Redd in training camp.

Seastrunk has made some explosive plays against deep reserves in preseason games, but has poor hands and is still unable to pass block. Seastrunk is more talented than Redd, but Redd is a more complete back. Perhaps the Redskins will try to stash Seastrunk on their practice squad. He isn't ready to play.
:coffee:

;) Exactly what I heard nearly 2 weeks ago. And also what I've seen both in games and in posts by beat writers. I wouldn't count out Royster yet, especially after his nice catch and then TD against the Browns. Tonight could be telling. Thompson...man he picked a bad time to get a boo-boo. They're kind of like the Steelers are at LB, someone good is gonna get cut.

By Scott Ellinwood, Redskins Correspondent, Sat, Aug 23rd 12:41pm EDT

Redskins RB Lache Seastrunk will miss tonight's game against Baltimore. No official word has been released from the team yet, but CSN's Rich Tandler speculates that Seastrunk will miss the game due to the death of his grandmother. (Rich Tandler via Twitter)

Fantasy Impact: After camp and the first two preseason games, Seastrunk is a known commodity. He is fast, runs hard and doesn't have much experience catching out of the backfield. If Seastrunk doesn't make the active roster, expect him to be retained on the practice squad.

By Scott Ellinwood, Redskins Correspondent, Sat, Aug 23rd 12:41pm EDT

Redskins RB Lache Seastrunk will miss tonight's game against Baltimore. No official word has been released from the team yet, but CSN's Rich Tandler speculates that Seastrunk will miss the game due to the death of his grandmother. (Rich Tandler via Twitter)

Fantasy Impact: After camp and the first two preseason games, Seastrunk is a known commodity. He is fast, runs hard and doesn't have much experience catching out of the backfield. If Seastrunk doesn't make the active roster, expect him to be retained on the practice squad.
I'm telling ya they are going to try to sneak him to the practice squad, and lose him.

The Giants would scoop this guy up in a heartbeat. His skillset is very similar to David Wilson's except I think Seastrunk is a little more explosive. The only concern is his size, if he can bulk up and become a competent pass blocker that would be great. If not, he'll be relegated to a Leon Washington / Jaquizz Rodgers type role.

You don't want him in there whiffing blocks on passing downs when you've got steady Alfred Morris on the bench. He's a 3rd Down back at best (this year) and is definitely a longer term prospect, imo. If he ends up on the Redskins practice squad, somebody will make room for him on their team. Has he been tried as a Kick Returner yet? He can definitely return a few back ala David Wilson.

I hope he makes the roster. I think his connection with RG3 keeps him alive. Yeah, this other back might be outplaying him but Seastrunk brings something different to the table. You can't teach the kind of athleticism that he has. He needs to develop some technique and I think he could demand 10 carries a game in the future.

I guess the idea is, you use your Active Roster for players you want to potentially use on game day. If you're the Redskins and you don't envision playing Lache Seastrunk at some point during the season, he very well could end up on the practice squad.

Users who are viewing this thread