What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Justin Jackson, RB Detroit (2 Viewers)

This one is tough. 

I watched most of the game, FWIW. 

Jackson never had a chance, Ekeler was the unquestioned guy, which was surprising after Jackson finished the Pitt game so strongly. Jackson came in to spell Ekeler on the first drive where he was a workhorse, his catch was a nice move on the sideline and like a 15 or 20 yard gain, he did most of the work. I believe he had one carry on that drive and was then out for a while. 

A few drives later, when the Chargers started inside their own 5, he got another carry. IIRC his other drive that he started, they were also close to their own goal line and the box was stacked. 

His only other carries were on the final drive after the onside kick with 9 in the box. He looked great in a hostile Pitt environment, shocked they gave him such bad opportunity against Cincy. If Gordon and Ekeler are both out, I'm choosing 2 in PPR out of him, Conner (obviously a start if he plays, which I doubt), Michel, Mack, Edwards, Carson, Jeffrey.

I've got him ahead of Mack, Michel, Edwards, & Jeffrey. Prob roll him and Carson out, depending on what happens with injuries. 

The Chargers are not optimistic that Gordon or Ekeler can go Thursday so it looks to be Justin Jackson up next
As I expected when Gordon didn’t practice at all on Friday. Thank goodness I have Jackson though! I do have other options at RB in leagues I have Gordon with Ekeler and Jackson, but I might be firing up Jackson as my flex. Unlike last week, he will get his chances against a bad KC defense. I am (somewhat) worried that the Chargers could become a pass heavy team this week, yet Jackson can catch the ball and his college career shows that. Game flow is important people and that Cinn. game wasn’t nice to him. I blame coaching on that one. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting him with confidence this week.  If the Chargers try to play track meet football with the Chiefs, they could be in trouble. Best bet is to play ball-control and use Jackson heavily against a poor run defense.

Workhorse said:
I'm starting him with confidence this week.  If the Chargers try to play track meet football with the Chiefs, they could be in trouble. Best bet is to play ball-control and use Jackson heavily against a poor run defense.

i started him with 80% confidence last week. the 7 for 12 against the bengals does not instill a lot of confidence in me this week...

i started him with 80% confidence last week. the 7 for 12 against the bengals does not instill a lot of confidence in me this week...
No Ekeler this week so this is a bit different.  And KC is dead last in DVOA against the run.

No Ekeler this week so this is a bit different.  And KC is dead last in DVOA against the run.
exactly... i want to know is he going to take a melvin gordon sized portion of the RB touches this week...  and if that is going to be the opportunity... the harder question is... is he good enough to do anything with the opportunity?

exactly... i want to know is he going to take a melvin gordon sized portion of the RB touches this week...  and if that is going to be the opportunity... the harder question is... is he good enough to do anything with the opportunity?
He looked good enough against PIT when given the opportunity. He'll be in my lineup today instead of Gordon.

Bengals are the worst run defense in the league are they not? I would obviously expect him to do better this week being the lone man but would still have to be pretty thin to start him. 

Hmmmm, Melvin Gordon tweeted that he is “War ready” this morning. Could mean nothing (saying that the team is ready for KC but he might not be) or it could mean something. Would anyone play a limited Gordon if he does go? Either way Jackson owners, hold on to your butts!

Hmmmm, Melvin Gordon tweeted that he is “War ready” this morning. Could mean nothing (saying that the team is ready for KC but he might not be) or it could mean something. Would anyone play a limited Gordon if he does go? Either way Jackson owners, hold on to your butts!
If Gordon is in the lineup, Jackson is not in mine. 

https://twitter.com/wyche89/status/1072521227846197250

The Chargers are not optimistic that running backs Melvin Gordon (knee) and Austin Ekeler (neck, concussion) will be ready for Thursday's huge AFC West matchup at Kansas City, HC Anthony Lynn told me. Rookie RBs Justin Jackson and Detrez Newsome likely to be the spot
I need upside, I think they'll lean heavily on Jackson. Obviously his floor is awful, but his upside without Gordon and Ekeler is pretty high. 

I don't know anything about Lynn, but any coach has to realize you don't go into KC looking for a shootout, right?

Anyone know anything about Jackson's pass protection?

He def can catch out of the backfield, he had almost 80 receptions in his last 2 years in college, so that is a plus.

I'm getting ready to hitch myself to this bandwagon.

I probably have to choose between Ware and Jackson this week.

Hopefully Ware, Ekeler, and Gordon are all ruled out to make my decision easy😁

Anyone know anything about Jackson's pass protection?

He def can catch out of the backfield, he had almost 80 receptions in his last 2 years in college, so that is a plus.

I'm getting ready to hitch myself to this bandwagon.
According to PFF, they said that he was “Unable to bail out his underperforming offensive line, Jackson has struggled in pass protection. He ranked No. 78 in the 2018 class in pass blocking efficiency, allowing 11 total pressures on 122 pass block snaps.” 

Hopefully this helps. Here’s the link: Justin Jackson info.

If Jackson is the main carrier Thursday I have to choose between 

Jackson, Fournette and dalvin cook 

I legitimately lean Jackson in the rain vs the KC defense. Fournette with bottles was viable but since, omg and cook who knows the new game plan and if he gonna get 12 or 24 carries.  Jackson should get 100 and a TD if he is featured. 

Agh. I forgot to add him last week. I have waiver priority over the other two playoff teams; but not my opponent for this week. 

Fingers crossed I get him. It would suck to have to face him, especially as the Gordon owner. 

All that optimism. Gah. 

gordon just said he's a gametime decision.

it's not clear to me, but it also sounds like he hasn't practiced since the injury... i'm trying to think of another player who missed a couple games and returned without taking part in a practice.

Given Gordon being a game time call, I'm projecting Jackson conservatively at what Ekeler's role would be when Gordon was in the lineup, so a viable flex option. There is plenty of room for upside from that projection though given Gordon may not play at all, or if he does play is limited and doesn't have his full workload. 

With a knee brace as well.  It feels like the Chargers just told him to tweet out some things this week and just have the Chiefs guessing a bit.  I don't think he plays.
Do know that Gordon was limited in practice today. This update came out moments ago. That is progress, yet I still think it’s 50/50. 

If Gordon is playing, I think he's an auto start. They aren't gonna risk him if they don't think he can carry the load. I'd expect a normal workload if he's active, they have no incentive to push him, as they are a playoff lock right now. 

If Gordon plays, there may not be 5 RB's I'd start over him. Elliott, Gurley, Barkley, McCaffrey, and that is about it. 

Go Melvin, go! 

Ironic twist: while talking to the 1 dude who’s got WW priority over me, who I play this week, he casually said “damn, I saw Gordon is practicing. I was gonna claim Jackson, but i won’t bother now.”

yay!  :pickle:

im picking him up just in case, as MG is a GTD. But it’s nice to know I’ll have the insurance policy. 

If Gordon is playing, I think he's an auto start. They aren't gonna risk him if they don't think he can carry the load. I'd expect a normal workload if he's active, they have no incentive to push him, as they are a playoff lock right now. 

If Gordon plays, there may not be 5 RB's I'd start over him. Elliott, Gurley, Barkley, McCaffrey, and that is about it. 
If Gordon is starting, I’m starting him. Half a Gordon is better than 60% of the RBs out there. 

Picked up in a defensive move. we have short benches but I'm shocked he was a FA. of the 4 teams left, 2 could use a starting rb due to matchups or just having a crappy rb. 

If he gets the start he could be huge

Justin Jackson hauled in seven of his team-high 10 targets for 47 yards in the Chargers' Week 16 loss to the Ravens.

With Melvin Gordon practicing in full throughout the week, Jackson figured to take a backseat and return to irrelevancy. Instead he took on Austin Ekeler's (neck, out) usual two-minute/third-down role, seeing a surplus of targets since Philip Rivers was under duress from Baltimore's pass rush throughout the evening. He'll return to the bench if Ekeler's back against Denver in Week 17, but the rookie's surprising role behind Gordon is worth noting for future outings in the event Ekeler remains out.

Dec 23 - 12:36 AM

Anyone hanging onto him for dynasty purposes as a Gordon cuff?

He flashed as both a runner and pass catcher at times when Gordon and / or Ekeler was out. Seems to be a better all around back then Ekeler.

He flashed as both a runner and pass catcher at times when Gordon and / or Ekeler was out. Seems to be a better all around back then Ekeler.
Unless you have extremely shallow benches I don't see how anyone wouldn't be hanging onto him.

Melvin Gordon being un-signed for now, makes me like Jackson a lot.  I think the Chargers are smart enough that they know they can get by without a premium RB and go with lesser guys.  Hence the pick of Jackson last year.  I like Jackson quite a bit as the leader of that backfield should Melvin not re-sign.  

If I recall correctly, he came out and said he's waiting for Bell's contract to set the value of RB's before he signed the extension.  Suggesting he wants high money, I don't think he's worth it.  Makes me want to stash Jackson.  I own him in a few places, and now's your chance to put him as a throw in to some deals, but his value isn't high at all.  I'd put him at a 3rd, but most teams I'd imagine would rather hold him for that type of price.  Anything lower than a 2nd usually isn't worth trading a player for IMO.  

NFL.com's Mike Silver reports Chargers coach Anthony Lynn is "looking for big things" from No. 3 RB Justin Jackson.

With a Melvin Gordon holdout looming, the Chargers have commenced hyping their second-year seventh-rounder. Jackson drew some dynasty league buzz in 2018 before turning 50 carries into 206 yards (4.1 YPC). He added a solid 15/135/9.0 line as a receiver. Jackson did check all the boxes coming out of Northwestern, including prolific college numbers, passing-game chops and solid athletic testing. He would have fantasy value as part of a committee with Austin Ekeler were Gordon to miss games.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Jul 23, 2019, 5:38 PM ET

As a Gordon owner I'm in the minority when I might take a pass on both Ekeler and Jackson(dynasty).
20 man roster, so it's not THAT shallow. I think M Gordon is a little bit better then this board is
saying. I think either guy gets maybe 80% of what Gordon does and that's if one of them gets the
same amount of touches. 

As a Gordon owner I'm in the minority when I might take a pass on both Ekeler and Jackson(dynasty).
20 man roster, so it's not THAT shallow. I think M Gordon is a little bit better then this board is
saying. I think either guy gets maybe 80% of what Gordon does and that's if one of them gets the
same amount of touches. 
He is light years better than this board is saying, Im more worried about the Chargers season though, I think him not being on the field will hurt them this year....

Looking for homer insight:

Would you consider Ekeler or Jackson the primary handcuff?

Did anyone see and can anyone comment on the usage pattern against Az?

I have a keeper deadline coming and have Jackson for cheap, so would like as much information as possible.

Thanks in advance.

ESPN's Eric Williams expects the Chargers to use Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson in a "50-50 split" during Melvin Gordon's holdout.

That's not what we saw in the Chargers' preseason opener. The first-team offense played 16 snaps that night, and Ekeler was on the field for 12 of them, while Jackson saw four reps. Ekeler also received 2-of-3 touches inside the 10-yard line. Williams notes it's been more 50-50 in practices this summer. We'd venture to guess it will be closer to 65-35 in favor of Ekeler, who is just a more well-rounded player. He can function on early downs and excels in the pass game as both a receiver and in blitz-pickup. Ekeler is the back to own among the two, and his ADP reflects that.

RELATED: 

Justin Jackson

SOURCE: Eric Williams on Twitter

Aug 16, 2019, 11:01 AM ET

Justin Jackson rushed seven times for 59 yards in Los Angeles' Week 2 loss to the Lions.

Jackson was explosive (8.4 YPC) on his seven carries but the talking point will be his 30-yard touchdown burst that was negated for offensive holding. As the Chargers struggled to move the ball sans Hunter Henry (knee), Jackson was held back and out-touched 23-8 by Austin Ekeler due to the latter's ability to create plays as a receiver. It stands to reason Jackson will fall even further behind Ekeler in usage over the next month since it's crucial the latter stays glued to the field.

Sep 15, 2019, 8:41 PM ET

Justin Jackson (calf) was added to the Chargers' injury report on Thursday, getting in a limited session.

Jackson's status is now questionable for Sunday's game against the Dolphins. If healthy, Jackson could be looking at nearly an entire half of clock-killing duties. Were he to sit, it would create an interesting dilemma for coach Anthony Lynn, who wants to avoid using Melvin Gordon so soon after reporting from his marathon holdout.

Sep 26, 2019, 6:45 PM ET

Chargers RB Justin Jackson (calf) was spotted in a walking boot Friday.

Jackson was added to the Chargers' injury report on Thursday and is clearly dealing with a significant issue. He should be considered very questionable for Sunday's smash spot against the Dolphins. Austin Ekeler would get an even larger role if Jackson is ultimately sidelined. Jackson's absence could also lead to Melvin Gordon suiting up Sunday despite coach Anthony Lynn's desire to rest MGIII until next week.

SOURCE: Eric Williams on Twitter.

Sep 27, 2019, 1:12 PM ET

Is he droppable now?
I did. This was the week I felt most confident to start him and with MG3 likely back next week I don’t see a need to stash him anymore. Who knows the severity of his own injury, and with 2 lead dogs ahead of him he’s not worth a spot anymore imo. 

I did. This was the week I felt most confident to start him and with MG3 likely back next week I don’t see a need to stash him anymore. Who knows the severity of his own injury, and with 2 lead dogs ahead of him he’s not worth a spot anymore imo. 
Fantasy football moves pretty fast... he's in my starting lineup at the moment but now it looks like I'll be dropping him instead.

Users who are viewing this thread