What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Justin Jackson, RB Detroit (3 Viewers)

Finally healthy and getting his shot he looks the part for sure.  

22% to Ekeler's 78% of Offensive plays... gotta think that'll increase. He played 40% of the special teams plays so that will put a governor on his offensive plays.  Regardless for me he's a must start against CIN in 14.

Week 15 against KC on a Thur... if it wasn't KC I don't think we'd have a chance to see Gordon.   

So what is the Gordon contract situation? Is he RFA or UFA next year? Jackson seems like he has some solid dynasty value.

Ekeler had a start earlier this season and he looked liked JAG then too to me. Perhaps he throttles it down a bit when he knows he's the guy. He sure looks great in limited spurts though otherwise and maybe that's just what he's tailored for.
He's only played significant snaps (>50%) in two games this year and definitely struggled in both, but it's hard to call him a JAG when he's averaging over 5ypc and 10ypr for his career (albeit only 2 years). 

That being said, Jackson certainly looked very, very good on his 9 touches. Keep in mind they all came late in the game, though.

He remains a nice stash in dynasty leagues.

So what is the Gordon contract situation? Is he RFA or UFA next year? Jackson seems like he has some solid dynasty value.
He was a 1st round pick, so there was a 5th year club option and they picked it up (back in April). Gordon will be a Charger for at least one more year.

22% to Ekeler's 78% of Offensive plays... gotta think that'll increase. He played 40% of the special teams plays so that will put a governor on his offensive plays.  Regardless for me he's a must start against CIN in 14.

Week 15 against KC on a Thur... if it wasn't KC I don't think we'd have a chance to see Gordon.   
Must start? I dont know...teams are stubborn...i think they give ekeler the start ....game could get out of hand and jackson gets some play at the end....i think ekeler is showing how good Gordon is and that back ups are back ups for a reason.

Paint me as confused for people calling Ekeler a JAG because Jackson looked good. Neither will be a bell cow but either could have a Danny Woodhead/Darren Sproles type ceiling. That’s been pretty valuable in PPR in the past. 

Must start? I dont know...teams are stubborn...i think they give ekeler the start ....game could get out of hand and jackson gets some play at the end....i think ekeler is showing how good Gordon is and that back ups are back ups for a reason.
I think Ekeler will get the start no question but who knows maybe Jackson's snap share could go up to 40%. At home, vs horrible Cincy, in a likely blowout? That could be all you need for a few big runs and a TD.

With a grade 2 sprain, you’re lucky if Gordon plays in week 16. 
True, but it sounds like Gordon will play against KC, which Dr. Chao said was possible even after Melvin got hurt that Sunday. My fear is this if he does come back not being fully healthy vs KC: all 3 RBs make this backfield hard to rely on/pick the random winner and hope you get lucky. (Yuck.) Next week vs. Cinn with no Gordon maybe? Ekeler and Jackson should have fun against that bad team, so it shouldn’t matter who you use unless noted. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Paint me as confused for people calling Ekeler a JAG because Jackson looked good. Neither will be a bell cow but either could have a Danny Woodhead/Darren Sproles type ceiling. That’s been pretty valuable in PPR in the past. 
So that we are clear, I said in his starts he's looked like JAG and gave reasoning as to why that may be. I don't think he's JAG as long as you keep him in his comfort zone IMO.

I’m with you on this week. He’s going to get a lot of work against that horrendous Bengal D. 

Are people in here really starting to question whether the Chargers let Gordon walk for either of these guys? You're off your rockers.
Going back to college, Gordon has a ton of wear and tear on his body. He’s had multiple knee issues, including micro fracture surgery. Don’t get me wrong, he’s played well the past two years, but most NFL teams are smart enough not to invest a lot anymore in the RB position. Yes there are exceptions, but I don’t put a Gordon in the category. 

Are people in here really starting to question whether the Chargers let Gordon walk for either of these guys? You're off your rockers.
Gordon's career path should follow the same route as Jamaal Charles

ETA: What I mean by that is, this is his show and the Chargers will let him walk only when his injury problems become not worth the investment.

I think Ekeler will get the start no question but who knows maybe Jackson's snap share could go up to 40%. At home, vs horrible Cincy, in a likely blowout? That could be all you need for a few big runs and a TD.
But is that enough to put your playoff life on the line by putting him in your lineup?  You may not have a choice if you got hit with recent injuries but it is far from ideal. 

Well, we already know Gordon will be back for 2019. However, I think it would be foolish for them to spend big money to re-sign him in 2020 regardless of who is behind him or their succession plan. So I'm not saying Jackson and Ekeler make Gordon expendable, I'm just saying there are better ways to spend cap money. I don't expect Jackson or Ekeler to be the starter in 2020, but I wouldn't rule it out, either. I would expect the Chargers to also bring in a bigger back if/when Gordon is gone.

Angry spiders said:
Not for these guys....for who they draft next year or the year after....
That's the thing, in today's nfl, the start back is done.  Sure Gordon is great, but he's easily replaceable by some guy in the third round for 1/10 the cost.

Gally said:
But is that enough to put your playoff life on the line by putting him in your lineup?  You may not have a choice if you got hit with recent injuries but it is far from ideal. 
I'm likely gonna have to start him if Breida is out and having lost Hunt. but agreed that not the best scenario in week 1 of playoffs 

I thought he looked great yesterday but there's a lot of wishful thinking happening here 

I'm likely gonna have to start him if Breida is out and having lost Hunt. but agreed that not the best scenario in week 1 of playoffs 

I thought he looked great yesterday but there's a lot of wishful thinking happening here 
He’s facing the worst rush defense in the league and Cincy’s offense is in shambles too, so I don’t see Rivers chucking it all day. Even 50% of the snaps this week should produce solid RB2 -#’s this week. I’m definitely starting this week in all formats 

ShamrockPride said:
No kidding. Gordon has arguably been the best RB in the NFL this year. 

He’s facing the worst rush defense in the league and Cincy’s offense is in shambles too, so I don’t see Rivers chucking it all day. Even 50% of the snaps this week should produce solid RB2 -#’s this week. I’m definitely starting this week in all formats 
Hope you are right! 

Futz said:
So that we are clear, I said in his starts he's looked like JAG and gave reasoning as to why that may be. I don't think he's JAG as long as you keep him in his comfort zone IMO.
As an Ekeler owner it saddens me to think you're right here.  He looks awesome as a change of pace weapon, but not great as a starter.

As an Ekeler owner it saddens me to think you're right here.  He looks awesome as a change of pace weapon, but not great as a starter.
He appears to lack elite vision necessary to be a workhorse back. He’s great in space but has trouble finding it... Jackson looked great hitting the same holes that were there for Ekeler last night.

Not the situation I needed having to decide on one of these guys going in to the first round of the playoffs.

I am an Ekeler owner who stated that he will be the guy as long as Gordon is out. I'm ready to admit I was wrong as soon as Jackson eats more into Ekelers carries next week. I really think it's coming. Much closer to a 50/50 split, and Sunday wasuch closer than I anticipated as well.

I doubt it. After the big win they can afford to be conservative and rest him vs a far inferior opponent especially since they face kc 4 days later. 
You cannot to take any opponent lightly...that gets you beat in this league.....chargers were killing Denver all game...make two bad passes you lose.......look at gb vs ariz.....if gordon can go. He will

I think that would be a bad move if they rush Gordon back. Their stupidity put him on the shelf in the first place. I'm rolling out Jackson in my flex, as DJ Moore not getting it done of late. The fact I even made my playoffs means I'm playing with house money.

I think that would be a bad move if they rush Gordon back. Their stupidity put him on the shelf in the first place. I'm rolling out Jackson in my flex, as DJ Moore not getting it done of late. The fact I even made my playoffs means I'm playing with house money.
I have a bye in a league where I have Gordon and I would like for him to skip week 14; play next week. Likewise, if I was a LAC fan—have your team at full strength against your division rival. (I do understand if people need Gordon this week, but I doubt Gordon would get his full RB load before facing KC, in my opinion.) 

You cannot to take any opponent lightly...that gets you beat in this league.....chargers were killing Denver all game...make two bad passes you lose.......look at gb vs ariz.....if gordon can go. He will
While it's true you can't take opponents lightly, the fact that they play their division leading rival on Thursday is going to be a major factor in deciding on whether the can get Gordon a little more rest/healing against a terrible Cincinnati defense that is missing Dalton and Green on offense.

There is a such thing as playing percentages and for long term gains.

Not a doctor but just using common sense here would indicate Gordon sits this week and is hopefully healthy enough to play against KC in what would be a big game.

You cant rush Gordon back because with an MCL sprain there is a very high risk of re-injury or further injury.  I am guessing the Questionable tag for this week is coach speak and keeping both cincy and KC on their toes the following week to need to game-plan for Gordon.

Think of it this way....if you don't rule Gordon out early for the Cincy game KC has to think "Gordon was close to coming back last 2 weeks we need to game plan for him" as opposed to Gordon was ruled out early the last 2 weeks his knee is jacked up lets key on their next biggest threat

I'd normally put weight on the notion that the Chargers are focused on winning every game they can, won't take any opponent lightly, etc.

BUT, they just got burned by playing Gordon too quickly.

Seems like they wouldn't risk making the same mistake again just a few weeks later.

I'd normally put weight on the notion that the Chargers are focused on winning every game they can, won't take any opponent lightly, etc.

BUT, they just got burned by playing Gordon too quickly.

Seems like they wouldn't risk making the same mistake again just a few weeks later.
His current injury has nothing to do with the previous one....he got leg whipped on a terrible play call in the other knee.....

Sadly Jackson won't be worth diddly next week...  

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Melvin Gordon (knee) could return for Week 14 against the Bengals.

Gordon is viewed as "truly week to week." Getting cleared for next Sunday may be a stretch, but the Chargers expect him to return no later than Week 15. Austin Ekeler will start for however long Gordon's sidelined, with rookie Justin Jackson mixing in. Dec 2 - 10:34 AM

Source: ESPN

Sadly Jackson won't be worth diddly next week...  

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Melvin Gordon (knee) could return for Week 14 against the Bengals.

Gordon is viewed as "truly week to week." Getting cleared for next Sunday may be a stretch, but the Chargers expect him to return no later than Week 15. Austin Ekeler will start for however long Gordon's sidelined, with rookie Justin Jackson mixing in. Dec 2 - 10:34 AM

Source: ESPN
Well I'm glad I grabbed him last week while he was cheap

I'm blowing the rest of my FAB money on him.  Melvin isn't signed long term, they have 5th year option next year and who knows after that.  They have Jackson on rookie deal for 3 more years and Ekeler on rookie deal til 2020 if they want to ship Melvin out.  Sign Ekeler long term if they want he's a good backup, but that's what he is.  

I have a bye in a league where I have Gordon and I would like for him to skip week 14; play next week. Likewise, if I was a LAC fan—have your team at full strength against your division rival. (I do understand if people need Gordon this week, but I doubt Gordon would get his full RB load before facing KC, in my opinion.) 
I don’t have a BYE, but I have a meaningless game since I clinched a playoff spot. 

Rest up, Gordon. Week 15 is a perfect return game. 

Have a BYE this week but picking Jackson up anyway if i can with the Gordon injury.  Not real happy about the whole situation because when he does come back you have to start him but how much confidence do you have in him with the injury not the far back.

Back to Jackson.  I recall back to the game he got the rock late while LAC were working the clock.  He had a run to the outside and many backs would have ran OB and stopped the clock.  This kid made it a point to go down in bounce to keep the clock running.  He look solid on his carries and always was moving forward.  He was shifty quick and elusive. Definitely liked what I had seen and good seeing the quote above from @Shadyridr .  If you can grab him for this week and need a RB I think he will do you well

HC Lynn on Ekeler: "He's wearing down a little bit. He's a core special teams guy for us and he's played a lot of running back for us. So he's a little tired. You might see Justin (Jackson) play a little bit more, you might see (Detrez) Newsome play some this week
Man thats brutal that Lynn said that.  Its week 14 and your coach says youre wearing down after being the COP guy?  I can see Ekler being odd man out this week.

so ekeler was placed in concussion protocol... on top of whatever stinger he suffered.... seems extremely unlikely for thursday night. until gordon practices.... im going to mark him as being out.... that leaves Jackson....

i have vivid memories of starting a JAG in Kenneth Farrow 2 years ago in the fantasy playoffs because he had an opportunity as the unquestioned starter on this team... and he tanked miserably.... is jackson an actual player or is he a JAG?

so ekeler was placed in concussion protocol... on top of whatever stinger he suffered.... seems extremely unlikely for thursday night. until gordon practices.... im going to mark him as being out.... that leaves Jackson....

i have vivid memories of starting a JAG in Kenneth Farrow 2 years ago in the fantasy playoffs because he had an opportunity as the unquestioned starter on this team... and he tanked miserably.... is jackson an actual player or is he a JAG?

it's really tough to start him after posting a 7 for 12 + 2 for 23 vs cincinnati.

right now, he's on my bench behind jaylen samuels or corey davis.

Users who are viewing this thread