What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Maclin (2 Viewers)

Here's a question that's been bugging me: why didn't the Eagles cut Maclin after his ACL injury? He's a UFA next year and only $1.35M of his $4.55M cap number was guaranteed. Is it just a sign of loyalty so he'll re-sign with them?

I may be wrong, but under the circumstances the Eagles would have had to reach an injury settlement that would have been muchmmore than Maclin's minimum. It might also indicate their intentions of resigning him next year. At this point DJax appears to be the only legitimate WR threat on the roster.

I can't help but think how much better that entire offense would be if Maclin was on the field.

I knew after the first game or two defenses would come to their senses and just take Djax away, since there is nobody else other than average targets to throw to.

As a Vick owner, I think of Maclin every time they show Riley cooper being worthless

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Impending free agent Jeremy Maclin reiterated (torn ACL) that he's ahead of schedule in his recovery and anticipates being ready for spring practices in April.

Maclin tore his right ACL on July 27 and underwent surgery on August 6. It's unclear if the Eagles are interested in bringing him back, but both Maclin and Riley Cooper are set to become free agents on March 11. Maclin should be ready in plenty of time for training camp. He may have to settle for a one-year deal to rehab his value after a second ACL tear, but a fairly weak receiver market will help him. Other top names are Eric Decker, Hakeem Nicks, Julian Edelman, Anquan Boldin, James Jones, and Golden Tate.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Rotoworld:

Impending free agent Jeremy Maclin reiterated (torn ACL) that he's ahead of schedule in his recovery and anticipates being ready for spring practices in April.

Maclin tore his right ACL on July 27 and underwent surgery on August 6. It's unclear if the Eagles are interested in bringing him back, but both Maclin and Riley Cooper are set to become free agents on March 11. Maclin should be ready in plenty of time for training camp. He may have to settle for a one-year deal to rehab his value after a second ACL tear, but a fairly weak receiver market will help him. Other top names are Eric Decker, Hakeem Nicks, Julian Edelman, Anquan Boldin, James Jones, and Golden Tate.

I do not know why the quote says it is a weak WR market...in fact, it is a great one. If you had guys like Demaryius, Calvin and Fitz ready to hit the market, each would be franchised and not even get a sniff of freedom. On the flipside, you have about 7 top 32 guys about to hit the market (albiet on the lower end of that 32) and none is worth a franchise tag on their given team. A team like my Jets could literally go from worst WR core in the NFL to top 10 in the league, if they managed to get a couple of these guys.

Rotoworld:

I do not know why the quote says it is a weak WR market...in fact, it is a great one. If you had guys like Demaryius, Calvin and Fitz ready to hit the market, each would be franchised and not even get a sniff of freedom. On the flipside, you have about 7 top 32 guys about to hit the market (albiet on the lower end of that 32) and none is worth a franchise tag on their given team. A team like my Jets could literally go from worst WR core in the NFL to top 10 in the league, if they managed to get a couple of these guys.
None of those names give me anything close to a woody :shrug:

Rotoworld:

Names that give people woodys never make it to free agency. That's his point. That list has solid starters that have played on winning teams are are NOT old. The top of the free agency market is as strong as it gets.

Rotoworld:

Names that give people woodys never make it to free agency. That's his point. That list has solid starters that have played on winning teams are are NOT old. The top of the free agency market is as strong as it gets.
Well if that was his point, he made it poorly by including this statement:

A team like my Jets could literally go from worst WR core in the NFL to top 10 in the league, if they managed to get a couple of these guys.

Rotoworld:

Greg Jennings

Wes Welker

Dwayne Bowe

Mike Wallace

Danny Amendola

That was the top of last year's class which I would put miles ahead of this year's, especially given the way people though of those guys at the time.

Rotoworld:

Impending free agent Jeremy Maclin said his preference is to re-sign with the Eagles.

The Eagles are likely to let the market determine Maclin's price tag. Since he's coming off a second ACL tear, he might have to settle for a one-year "prove it" deal to rehab his value. If that's the case, a low-risk reunion with the Eagles would make sense -- especially with Riley Cooper also ticketed for free agency.

Source: Zach Berman on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Impending free agent Jeremy Maclin realizes he may have to settle for a one-year deal.

"I'm a realist, so I understand that that's a possibility," Maclin said. Maclin is coming off a second ACL tear. He's currently running and will soon ramp up his rehab and begin running side-to-side. Maclin has previously stated that he anticipates being ready for the start of spring practices in April. The Eagles seem interested in re-signing both Maclin and Riley Cooper.

Rotoworld:

Impending free agent Jeremy Maclin reiterated Monday that he's willing to accept a one-year deal.

"I understand it could be a possibility that (the ACL tear) may scare some teams off, or a team may want to do a one-year deal as opposed to a long-term contract," Maclin said Monday. "That's the game, that's the business." Maclin also said he's open to re-signing with the Eagles, and that the sides have "had talks." Although Maclin's knee is obviously a stumbling block, he's still only 26 (in May). Unless his medicals are a nightmare, his upside should net him some multi-year offers. Considering the state of the Eagles' receiver corps outside of DeSean Jackson, there's a strong chance Maclin will be back in Philly.

Source: CSN Philly

It's good he saw Steve Smith up close and personal then became friends with him. I have little doubt he overcomes this.

Rotoworld:

The Kansas City Star expects the Chiefs to show interest in free agent Jeremy Maclin this offseason.
Maclin has struggled with injuries throughout his career and missed all of 2013 with a torn ACL. He's expected to be medically cleared for the start of training camp, but could have to settle for a one-year, incentive-based contract to reestablish his value. Maclin was drafted by Andy Reid in Philadelphia and could be a fit as a complement to Dwayne Bowe. Rotoworld currently ranks Maclin as the No. 2 free agent wideout.

Related: Chiefs

Source: Kansas City Star

Rotoworld:

The Kansas City Star expects the Chiefs to show interest in free agent Jeremy Maclin this offseason.

Maclin has struggled with injuries throughout his career and missed all of 2013 with a torn ACL. He's expected to be medically cleared for the start of training camp, but could have to settle for a one-year, incentive-based contract to reestablish his value. Maclin was drafted by Andy Reid in Philadelphia and could be a fit as a complement to Dwayne Bowe. Rotoworld currently ranks Maclin as the No. 2 free agent wideout.

i expect both KC and Cleveland to be linked to him until he signs.

MAC_32 said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Panthers not in the mix?

MAC_32 said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Panthers not in the mix?
philly connections, panthers will be linked with every free agent wr

MAC_32 said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Panthers not in the mix?
philly connections, panthers will be linked with every free agent wr
was Mcdermott in Philly w/ Maclin? May not have been same side of ball, but a connection none the less

I had the same thought, not sure, and obviously don't know if there is much of a connection there because of the offense vs defense issue you mentioned.

i hope he goes somewhere with a good qb i do not want to see him go to like the dolphins or something or maybe cleveland brownstains where they will have some crapload throwing him the ball i want to see this guy go out and kick butt and that will not happen if he goes to those two teams take that to the bank brohans

i hope he goes somewhere with a good qb i do not want to see him go to like the dolphins or something or maybe cleveland brownstains where they will have some crapload throwing him the ball i want to see this guy go out and kick butt and that will not happen if he goes to those two teams take that to the bank brohans
hey brohan, there is 0 chance Miami is.in free agent market with all.money towards the top 3 they have and Matthews developing so put your mind at ease

Rotoworld:

If CLE were to get him theyd have a hell of a trio with Gordon, Maclin, and Cameron. If they draft a Manziel, Bridgewater, or Bortles in the 1st no excuses that the QB didnt have the weapons to succeed.

Rotoworld:

CSN Philly's "hunch" is that free agent Jeremy Maclin will re-sign with the Eagles on a one-year deal and Riley Cooper will walk.

The market will end up determining exactly what happens with these two wideouts, but this plan is logical. Maclin has said he's open to a "prove it" contract as he comes off an ACL tear, and Cooper is a strong candidate to get overpaid after outperforming his talent level in a contract year. The Eagles' best move, as outlined by CSN Philly, is to use DeSean Jackson and Maclin as part of a "12" formation base in 2014. That would allow consistent in-line performer Brent Celek and future "flex" stud Zach Ertz to play every snap together.

Related: Zach Ertz, Riley Cooper

Source: CSN Philly

Rotoworld:

The New York Daily News reports the Jets "covet" free agent wide receivers Jeremy Maclin and Emmanuel Sanders.

The Jets are expected to express interest in fellow free agent Eric Decker, but it's believed he'll land elsewhere. Gang Green knows it needs to upgrade/overhaul its receiving corps. The Jets were 31st in passing this past season. Maclin could come relatively cheap on a one-year deal due to the fact he's recovering from a second ACL tear. He's our No. 2 free agent receiver behind Decker, while Sanders checks in at No. 9. The Jets have nearly $30 million in cap space.

Related: Emmanuel Sanders, Jets

Source: New York Daily News

Rotoworld:

The New York Daily News reports the Jets "covet" free agent wide receivers Jeremy Maclin and Emmanuel Sanders.

The Jets are expected to express interest in fellow free agent Eric Decker, but it's believed he'll land elsewhere. Gang Green knows it needs to upgrade/overhaul its receiving corps. The Jets were 31st in passing this past season. Maclin could come relatively cheap on a one-year deal due to the fact he's recovering from a second ACL tear. He's our No. 2 free agent receiver behind Decker, while Sanders checks in at No. 9. The Jets have nearly $30 million in cap space.

If you're Jeremy Maclin, why would you sign a 1 year deal with the Jets instead of the Eagles? If the Jets want Maclin, I'd assume they have to up the years or make the 1 year deal some crazy amount of money.

Rotoworld:

If you're Jeremy Maclin, why would you sign a 1 year deal with the Jets instead of the Eagles? If the Jets want Maclin, I'd assume they have to up the years or make the 1 year deal some crazy amount of money.
Agreed - if he wants to take a 1 yr deal to reestablish his value - worst O in the league is not where to do it...however, Jetsd have money and his former offensive coordinator - wouldnt shock me if they outbid Philly who has others to re-sign.

Rotoworld:

Agreed - if he wants to take a 1 yr deal to reestablish his value - worst O in the league is not where to do it...however, Jetsd have money and his former offensive coordinator - wouldnt shock me if they outbid Philly who has others to re-sign.
Maybe he thinks in New York he is THE MAN (the target monster) wheras in Philly he's just another guy.

But I agree, I hope he doesn't go to the Jets.

I wouldn't mind Maclin back again for the right price. Something like a 2 year deal for $10 mil to prove it again. But with the draft class, I don't think we'll find a better talent out there tight now. So they'll probably have to pay more.

I think someone might take a chance and give him a 4 year deal for $30 mil though because there's always one GM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't mind Maclin back again for the right price. Something like a 2 year deal for $10 mil to prove it again. But with the draft class, I don't think we'll find a better talent out there tight now. So they'll probably have to pay more.

I think someone might take a chance and give him a 4 year deal for $30 mil though because there's always one GM.
I doubt he gets a big deal, or signs with the Jets, even if its for 3-4 mil more. Sure, he can sign with the Jets, say, for 1/5 and ends up with 43/678/5, or with us for 1/3 and he gets a stat line of maybe 70/1000/7 - who knows, but as far as future $$$ is concerned, staying with us vs. Jets would be a no brainer for next year. Now, if he wants to stay in NY for a while and they break the bank - good for him.

Rotoworld:

I actually think he should do this. Look for a one year deal and go to a great offense and then cash in after he has a good year. Detroit, New Orleans, New England, or even stay in Philly.

Rotoworld:

I actually think he should do this. Look for a one year deal and go to a great offense and then cash in after he has a good year. Detroit, New Orleans, New England, or even stay in Philly.
I kind of like Maclin, but has this ever happened? I can't think of a single case where a guy has gone to a new team on a 1 year deal and parlayed a good performance into a multi-year deal. The instances of WRs going to a new team, new offense, and new QB and still being productive in year 1 with that organization are pretty slim (they happen, like VJax, but not often). His best shot is probably Philly, but if someone else offers him a 2-3 year deal, he should probably take it. He's still young enough to get a big contract after that.

Rotoworld:

I kind of like Maclin, but has this ever happened? I can't think of a single case where a guy has gone to a new team on a 1 year deal and parlayed a good performance into a multi-year deal. The instances of WRs going to a new team, new offense, and new QB and still being productive in year 1 with that organization are pretty slim (they happen, like VJax, but not often). His best shot is probably Philly, but if someone else offers him a 2-3 year deal, he should probably take it. He's still young enough to get a big contract after that.
TO's first year in Philly was pretty good.

The conventional wisdom for a long time was that receivers wouldn't do well in year one on a new team, and for the most part, that held true. But it can happen, and it seems to be happening more in the "new NFL". Not all of these guys were on one year deals, but some first year success stories include Owens in Philadelphia, Welker and Moss in New England, Welker in Denver, VJax in Tampa, Boldin in San Francisco, Marshall in Chicago (although he had already played with Cutler), Gonzo in Atlanta, Mason in Baltimore, and also guys like Garcon and Harvin who were hurt their first year but showed flashes immediately when they did play.

Still, it's fairly rare, and all of those guys were pretty good. So you could make the case that it's hard to do well on a new team, and only top talents can do it. Or you can make the case that good receivers are hard to come by, and most teams don't let them go when they're still playing well, so you end up with guys like Jennings, Galloway, Ochocinco, and so on playing poorly when they're old dogs learning new tricks, and middle of the road guys like Mike Wallace and Deion Branch leaving great situations for worse ones and being exposed for what they really were.

I don't know how talented Maclin really is, but he'll get a shot to prove it. I think his best value would be to his current team or to the Chiefs. As a fantasy asset, his best value is definitely in Philly. But from an NFL player standpoint, the Jets seem like an ideal opportunity for him - they seem to like him, they have a decent run game to take the heat off him, and he'd have a chance to lead the team in targets right away. Even if they don't offer him a multi year deal - which they certainly might - he would have a chance to make a name for himself in a big media market and could earn a big extension to stick around with their young QB. If I were his agent, I'd still be pulling for Philly - for mostly the same reasons - but the Jets seem like the logical fit to me if he can't.

The conventional wisdom for a long time was that receivers wouldn't do well in year one on a new team, and for the most part, that held true. But it can happen, and it seems to be happening more in the "new NFL". Not all of these guys were on one year deals, but some first year success stories include Owens in Philadelphia, Welker and Moss in New England, Welker in Denver, VJax in Tampa, Boldin in San Francisco, Marshall in Chicago (although he had already played with Cutler), Gonzo in Atlanta, Mason in Baltimore, and also guys like Garcon and Harvin who were hurt their first year but showed flashes immediately when they did play.

Still, it's fairly rare, and all of those guys were pretty good. So you could make the case that it's hard to do well on a new team, and only top talents can do it. Or you can make the case that good receivers are hard to come by, and most teams don't let them go when they're still playing well, so you end up with guys like Jennings, Galloway, Ochocinco, and so on playing poorly when they're old dogs learning new tricks, and middle of the road guys like Mike Wallace and Deion Branch leaving great situations for worse ones and being exposed for what they really were.

I don't know how talented Maclin really is, but he'll get a shot to prove it. I think his best value would be to his current team or to the Chiefs. As a fantasy asset, his best value is definitely in Philly. But from an NFL player standpoint, the Jets seem like an ideal opportunity for him - they seem to like him, they have a decent run game to take the heat off him, and he'd have a chance to lead the team in targets right away. Even if they don't offer him a multi year deal - which they certainly might - he would have a chance to make a name for himself in a big media market and could earn a big extension to stick around with their young QB. If I were his agent, I'd still be pulling for Philly - for mostly the same reasons - but the Jets seem like the logical fit to me if he can't.
I'm not sure that was conventional wisdom since there was no shortage of big name WRs being signed by new teams. However, the Chiefs suggestion is interesting as he'd be reunited with Reid which would ease the transition, similar to Marshall/Cutler. As for the Jets, he'd be stuck with Geno Smith. That's not an exciting prospect.

Also, I know recovery has been impressive for a lot of guys, but let's not just totally write off the fact that he's coming off of major surgery. If he goes somewhere with a decent QB to be the WR1, I'll be watching his ADP closely but I'm not paying a whole lot for a guy coming off of an ACL tear playing in a new system. Just doesn't seem like a smart gamble unless I'm getting good odds (WR5 price with WR3 upside).

He needs to man up, way too brittle for my tastes. I mean, I've been shot like 19 times and this guy sprains his ovaries as often as Harvin or Cyril Figgis.

Rotoworld:

Jeremy Maclin - WR - Eagles
ESPN New York's Rich Cimini expects the Jets' cap savings from Santonio Holmes' forthcoming release to go "immediately toward buying a new receiver in free agency."

Assuming both hit the market, the Jets are expected to pursue Jeremy Maclin and Emmanuel Sanders beginning on March 11. The Holmes cut will save $8.25 million in cap space, and the Jets are already in a good financial position even before that move is made. Maclin has history with Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg from their time together in Philly. Sanders should be pretty affordable.

Related: Jets

Source: ESPN New York

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Eagles favor keeping free agent Jeremy Maclin over Riley Cooper.
Per beat reporter Jeff McLane, the "plan" is to retain Maclin on a one-year deal and attempt to acquire another starting-caliber receiver. Cooper remains "on the radar," but securing Maclin will take precedence. Maclin has been connected to multiple teams this offseason, but could be re-signed before free agency. He turns 26 in May and has more long-range upside than Cooper.

Related: Riley Cooper

Users who are viewing this thread