What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Maclin (1 Viewer)

Free agent Jeremy Maclin is flying to Baltimore to visit the Ravens on Wednesday.

Maclin's tour in Buffalo rolled over into Wednesday, giving the sense the two sides could be onto something, but Maclin wants to see what else is out there. The Ravens are the only other known team to have lined up a visit with the 29-year-old. Baltimore is looking for an inside receiver to help in the red zone. Eric Decker is a better fit, but Maclin is obviously no slouch, either.

Related: Ravens, Bills

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jun 7 - 2:13 PM

Free agent Jeremy Maclin left his Ravens visit without a contract.

Per coach John Harbaugh, Maclin had a wedding to attend to. Maclin has visited the Bills and Ravens. Harbaugh said the receiver wants some time to make a decision. It's unclear if he has lined up any more visits.

Related: Ravens, Bills

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 

Jun 8 - 2:28 PM

I'm thinking he reunites with Shady in Buffalo.  Taylor would have 2 good options in Maclin and Watkins, assuming they both can stay healthy.  And with McCoy at RB, that would be a pretty good start to an offense.

I'm thinking he reunites with Shady in Buffalo.  Taylor would have 2 good options in Maclin and Watkins, assuming they both can stay healthy.  And with McCoy at RB, that would be a pretty good start to an offense.
Yep. 

Mac to Buffalo, Decker to Baltimore. 

Like the move for Maclin, but if I were the Ravens, I would have greatly preferred Decker. Is Maclin better than Wallace? Will Maclin play the slot?

I've been trying to move Maclin for two years now. Maybe now someone will be interested. Maybe I'll just keep him. I suppose most people will want to see him produce in Baltimore first before they try to buy him. So many targets available there, though. 

I thought Decker was a better fit, but I think Maclin will still do quite well in this spot. I wouldn't be excited about anyone, though, if Decker also signs.

Decker, Maclin, Wallace and Perriman? Any value there with any player is likely gone with Maclin, but if Decker joins, it will be gone. 

osubuckeyeman said:
I think the Ravens would not trade for Decker now. I'm not sure what their cap looks like however, I thought they were not in the greatest shape earlier in the year.  I could be totally wrong here. I would think they would have to see him be released and then go after him. I wonder if Cleveland or the 49er's could be in the mix? Heard the Eagles were in the mix too. Good for Maclin though no doubt.
Prior to signing Maclin, the Ravens had about $7M in available cap space. Seems like a stretch that they could sign both Maclin and Decker within that amount, without making other moves to free up space.

travdogg said:
Like the move for Maclin, but if I were the Ravens, I would have greatly preferred Decker. Is Maclin better than Wallace? Will Maclin play the slot?
They're different and fairly complimentary.  Sounds like mac will play the slot maybe half the time and I suspect get the most targets while wallace continues to be the deep guy.  

Maybe I'm just optimistic (and wallace is my wr4) but I think mac actually helps wallace by being the #1 receiver while wallace is more free to run and Flacco is still among the best deep ball passers in the league.  

Really Maclin helps the entire offense more than this change helps his ff value imo. Although we should expect a much better year than 2016. 

Again, maybe I'm overly optimistic but the Ravens should be a playoff team and might be better than the Steelers now.  At the least it got tighter. 

They added maclin, ergo they are better than the steelers now. That's pretty funny. It's not like maclin will command bracket coverage or double teams all the time, Wallace will be about what he was last year. The rb situation is far from settled, 4 guys that could earn the starting te job but you probably don't want any of them starting, and the defense is middle of the road. Not a bad team, but not a lock for the playoffs by any stretch. 

They added maclin, ergo they are better than the steelers now. That's pretty funny. It's not like maclin will command bracket coverage or double teams all the time, Wallace will be about what he was last year. The rb situation is far from settled, 4 guys that could earn the starting te job but you probably don't want any of them starting, and the defense is middle of the road. Not a bad team, but not a lock for the playoffs by any stretch. 
I didn't call them a lock for the playoffs (nor did I say they were better), few teams should be considered a "lock". But they weren't that far behind the Steelers last year.  They did lose two key pieces so that hurts.  

We'll see what happens.  I'm not a Ravens fan by any stretch but it's mildly amusing to see Steelers fans respond when you say a team might be better.  

I didn't call them a lock for the playoffs (nor did I say they were better), few teams should be considered a "lock". But they weren't that far behind the Steelers last year.  They did lose two key pieces so that hurts.  

We'll see what happens.  I'm not a Ravens fan by any stretch but it's mildly amusing to see Steelers fans respond when you say a team might be better.  
"They should make the playoffs" maybe isn't a lock, but sounds fairly sure of their chances. I'm not a steelers fan, but the idea that they "might" be better than the steelers based on the addition of maclin is laughable. I did take your comments on the more extreme side of what you were actually saying, semantics are a $&"ch. It is a tough division and anything can happen, and anytime a team is as well coached as BAL they will never be down long. The AFC wild cards will have a lot of competition again this year, and I think I like cin and pit better this year than BAL in their division. 

I wonder what maclin you'll get. He is coming off a down year and got released, is there a chance kc sees some decline or was is strictly cap related? With maclins experience being with west coast teams will he fit there? I've lost track of the BAL OC after the last couple years. 

"They should make the playoffs" maybe isn't a lock, but sounds fairly sure of their chances. I'm not a steelers fan, but the idea that they "might" be better than the steelers based on the addition of maclin is laughable. I did take your comments on the more extreme side of what you were actually saying, semantics are a $&"ch. It is a tough division and anything can happen, and anytime a team is as well coached as BAL they will never be down long. The AFC wild cards will have a lot of competition again this year, and I think I like cin and pit better this year than BAL in their division. 

I wonder what maclin you'll get. He is coming off a down year and got released, is there a chance kc sees some decline or was is strictly cap related? With maclins experience being with west coast teams will he fit there? I've lost track of the BAL OC after the last couple years. 
You're right, my whole comment is contingent on Maclin playing better than 2016.  The Chiefs as a contender releasing him is somewhat worrisome.  But if he plays up to his ability and 16 was just a bad year, he adds a lot to the Ravens offense.  Fwiw, I really like the Ravens new LBs, though they might take a couple years to get up to top tier level.  Mosley is a stud.

I might be overlooking Cincy.  Maybe instead of "should be" I could have said "have a pretty good chance"? The AFC is tough assuming the west (mostly oak/kc) doesn't fall apart and the south improves.  But I like the Ravens chances. 

With maclins experience being with west coast teams will he fit there? I've lost track of the BAL OC after the last couple years. 
Maclin should fit right in with Marty Mornhinwigs current version of the WCO. Marty was Andy Reids OC for a long time with the Eagles, including Maclins early years.

You're right, my whole comment is contingent on Maclin playing better than 2016.  The Chiefs as a contender releasing him is somewhat worrisome.  But if he plays up to his ability and 16 was just a bad year, he adds a lot to the Ravens offense.  Fwiw, I really like the Ravens new LBs, though they might take a couple years to get up to top tier level.  Mosley is a stud.

I might be overlooking Cincy.  Maybe instead of "should be" I could have said "have a pretty good chance"? The AFC is tough assuming the west (mostly oak/kc) doesn't fall apart and the south improves.  But I like the Ravens chances. 
See the thread about single possession losses/wins... per that Cincy should pick up 4 more wins this season... 10-6 seems to be the mean right now for predicting the Bengals finish.  Is that a playoff spot?  Dunno. 

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
meh ...steve smith and mike Wallace were barely startable in spots last year.....not that great
Guy was going to retire the year before. But at 37 he came back from a torn Achilles tendon and had 70 catches in 14 games. 

I think Maclin is now lock for 80 catches this season so long as there isnt something physically not okay. A repeat of the 2015 #s seems rather likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brisco54 said:
See the thread about single possession losses/wins... per that Cincy should pick up 4 more wins this season... 10-6 seems to be the mean right now for predicting the Bengals finish.  Is that a playoff spot?  Dunno. 
The Cincy o-line went from being a strength a few years ago to likely one of the worst in the NFL in 2017. I would take the under on 10 wins.

Guy was going to retire the year before. But at 37 he came back from a torn Achilles tendon and had 70 catches in 14 games. 

I think Maclin is now lock for 80 catches this season so long as something physically isn't okay. A repeat of the 2015 #s seems rather likely.
If Baltimore makes no more moves (Decker and/or bring in a TE), then I think 80 catches is definitely within reach and he'll be great value pick, although I don't know what this move is doing to his ADP yet. But if they bring in Decker or Perriman takes a few steps forward in his development then Maclin's upside will be limited.

The Cincy o-line went from being a strength a few years ago to likely one of the worst in the NFL in 2017. I would take the under on 10 wins.

If Baltimore makes no more moves (Decker and/or bring in a TE), then I think 80 catches is definitely within reach and he'll be great value pick, although I don't know what this move is doing to his ADP yet. But if they bring in Decker or Perriman takes a few steps forward in his development then Maclin's upside will be limited.
I agree that bringing in a guy like Decker would hurt Maclin, but he and Perriman (even with improvement) should be able to coexist. Dont forget they are losing Steve Smith, Dennis Pita and Kamar Aiken's (which werent substantial) targets from last season and Periman would only be adding onto what he had last season.

I agree that bringing in a guy like Decker would hurt Maclin, but he and Perriman (even with improvement) should be able to coexist. Dont forget they are losing Steve Smith, Dennis Pita and Kamar Aiken's (which werent substantial) targets from last season and Periman would only be adding onto what he had last season.
Depends on what you mean by coexist. I think they brought Maclin in to play on the outside which was Perriman's expected role. Smith only played 13 snaps in week 5, so I'm going to throw that one out and only look at the 13 games in which he was playing. Extrapolating those 13 games to 16 games, Smith would've had 121 targets, Perriman 59, and Aiken 43. So yeah, if Baltimore goes from a 4 man WR rotation to a 3 man rotation then there will be plenty of targets for that 3rd guy. However, even though Aiken got fewer targets, he actually played 23% more snaps than Perriman which indicates to me that there's something about Perriman's game that the coaches don't like. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Campanaro step in and fill Aiken's role, leaving Perriman with scraps once again. It seems like the team likes Campanaro but he was injured last year. 

As for Pitta's targets, I was rooting for the guy, but I'm not sure he can't be replaced with Gillmore and Watson (and Maxx Williams if he's still a thing). It's reasonable to expect some % of his targets to be reallocated to the slot WR, I suppose. Maclin is a capable slot guy, so I'd expect him to move in when Perriman is on the field. If they pay Decker decent money then I'd expect them to play more 3 wide, but no use in speculating unless he actually signs. 

But for Maclin, since this is his thread, I think Smith's 7.5 targets per game are his, so if he's going to get 120 targets this year, he's vastly undervalued right now. I expect a similar 120 for Wallace and maybe 65 for Perriman, 50 for Campanaro (or another slot WR to be named later), and 100 to Pitta's TEBC replacement. 

I think Maclin is now lock for 80 catches this season so long as there isnt something physically not okay. A repeat of the 2015 #s seems rather likely.
He is no lock for 80 that's his ceiling

FF Ninja said:
Depends on what you mean by coexist. I think they brought Maclin in to play on the outside which was Perriman's expected role. Smith only played 13 snaps in week 5, so I'm going to throw that one out and only look at the 13 games in which he was playing. Extrapolating those 13 games to 16 games, Smith would've had 121 targets, Perriman 59, and Aiken 43. So yeah, if Baltimore goes from a 4 man WR rotation to a 3 man rotation then there will be plenty of targets for that 3rd guy. However, even though Aiken got fewer targets, he actually played 23% more snaps than Perriman which indicates to me that there's something about Perriman's game that the coaches don't like. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Campanaro step in and fill Aiken's role, leaving Perriman with scraps once again. It seems like the team likes Campanaro but he was injured last year. 

As for Pitta's targets, I was rooting for the guy, but I'm not sure he can't be replaced with Gillmore and Watson (and Maxx Williams if he's still a thing). It's reasonable to expect some % of his targets to be reallocated to the slot WR, I suppose. Maclin is a capable slot guy, so I'd expect him to move in when Perriman is on the field. If they pay Decker decent money then I'd expect them to play more 3 wide, but no use in speculating unless he actually signs. 

But for Maclin, since this is his thread, I think Smith's 7.5 targets per game are his, so if he's going to get 120 targets this year, he's vastly undervalued right now. I expect a similar 120 for Wallace and maybe 65 for Perriman, 50 for Campanaro (or another slot WR to be named later), and 100 to Pitta's TEBC replacement. 
Perriman was essentially a rookie last year, and the opinion on him going into the draft was that he was raw. I don't think them easing him into the rotation means the coaches are unhappy with him. 

I'd love to see Camp step up but he's never going to stay healthy. I think this is a team with a mostly 3 man rotation Maclin, Wallace, Perriman that rotates Chris Moore in occasionally. They are also going to have Woodhead and the TEs heavily involved in the passing game. There is no way Flacco leads the league in passing attempts again next year as well, so I'd dial back all those projections

Perriman was essentially a rookie last year, and the opinion on him going into the draft was that he was raw. I don't think them easing him into the rotation means the coaches are unhappy with him. 

I'd love to see Camp step up but he's never going to stay healthy. I think this is a team with a mostly 3 man rotation Maclin, Wallace, Perriman that rotates Chris Moore in occasionally. They are also going to have Woodhead and the TEs heavily involved in the passing game. There is no way Flacco leads the league in passing attempts again next year as well, so I'd dial back all those projections
Excuses can be made for why Perriman wasn't able to beat out Aiken for snaps, but I wouldn't be so quick to bite if I was you. A first round rookie should be able to be a team's 3rd WR. That's not asking a lot. Even in the olden days when 3rd year WR theory was a thing, a 1st round pick typically was a team's WR3 as a rookie, WR2 as a sophomore, and WR1 in year 3. Perriman wasn't an incredibly young prospect (wasn't old, either) and he had a year to learn and he still couldn't beat out a guy the team let walk in free agency. I'm not saying it's a death knell for his career, but it doesn't paint the picture of a guy who is going to assume a prominent role the following season. So I'm hesitant to agree with any prediction of this being purely a 3 WR rotation. 

I'm obviously just reading tea leaves, but so is everyone else. I'm just doing it from an unbiased standpoint, for what that's worth. 

Excuses can be made for why Perriman wasn't able to beat out Aiken for snaps, but I wouldn't be so quick to bite if I was you. A first round rookie should be able to be a team's 3rd WR. That's not asking a lot. Even in the olden days when 3rd year WR theory was a thing, a 1st round pick typically was a team's WR3 as a rookie, WR2 as a sophomore, and WR1 in year 3. Perriman wasn't an incredibly young prospect (wasn't old, either) and he had a year to learn and he still couldn't beat out a guy the team let walk in free agency. I'm not saying it's a death knell for his career, but it doesn't paint the picture of a guy who is going to assume a prominent role the following season. So I'm hesitant to agree with any prediction of this being purely a 3 WR rotation. 

I'm obviously just reading tea leaves, but so is everyone else. I'm just doing it from an unbiased standpoint, for what that's worth. 
I know this is a Maclin thread and we are drifting off point but Perriman did have more targets last year than Aiken, and very much looked the part of the WR3, and even was in on many 2 WR sets after Smith's injury. Aiken's targets fell from around 127 in 2015 to 32 in 2016 so I think there is some evidence that Perriman "beat him out" for that WR3 spot. 

According this to this link, while Aiken did have 110 more total snaps, 163 of his total snaps were special teams, which Perriman didn't play at all. So in actual offensive plays, Perriman was more involved. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is a Maclin thread and we are drifting off point but Perriman did have more targets last year than Aiken, and very much looked the part of the WR3, and even was in on many 2 WR sets after Smith's injury. Aiken's targets fell from around 127 in 2015 to 32 in 2016 so I think there is some evidence that Perriman "beat him out" for that WR3 spot. 

According this to this link, while Aiken did have 110 more total snaps, 163 of his total snaps were special teams, which Perriman didn't play at all. So in actual offensive plays, Perriman was more involved. 
Sorry, but your data is wrong. Have a look here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Aiken played 758 total snaps, 595 offensive snaps. Perriman played 484 total snaps, 484 offensive snaps.

So Perriman may have looked good on a few highlights, but he didn't look the part of a WR3 in practice or on the coach's tape or he'd have been playing WR3 snaps. I just said something similar in the Parker thread, but in fantasy football we're forced to make decisions before we have all the necessary data to make a definitive conclusion. There isn't enough damning evidence against Perriman to say he'll never be good, but using the data available to me, I'm thinking there are better bets out there. If I owned him in dynasty, I'd be selling to any believer I could find and I certainly won't be drafting him in redraft. 

And yeah, we're drifting off topic, but this is a dead part of the offseason. I doubt anyone really minds too much.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
He is no lock for 80 that's his ceiling
I've got him placed at over 5 catches per game currently.  As they lost almost 14 catches per game from their line-up of a year ago.

They need a player(s) who can run the east-west routes. Wallace, Perriman and even Watson are all north-south types. And Woodman is a part-timer.

I've got him placed at over 5 catches per game currently.  As they lost almost 14 catches per game from their line-up of a year ago.

They need a player(s) who can run the east-west routes. Wallace, Perriman and even Watson are all north-south types. And Woodman is a part-timer.
Flacco was 2nd in the NFL in completed passes with 436 (27.25/gm). He missed some games in 2015, but in 2014 he only had 344 completions (21.5/gm). Like someone else mentioned, it might be good to dial back projections that were based on last year.

But I agree with Oz... 80 is a fair estimate. I'm guessing 120 targets x 62% = 75 rec.

Appearing on ESPN Adam Schefter's Know Them From Adam podcast, new Ravens WR Jeremy Maclin revealed he played through a torn groin in 2016.

Until now, the nature of Maclin's groin issue hadn't been revealed. All that was known is that Maclin injured his groin two snaps into Week 9 and missed the next four games before returning in Week 14. Maclin was held under 30 yards in 3-of-5 games to end the year, and since his release from the Chiefs some have said Maclin "lost a step" last season. It's easy to say that for a guy who had a torn groin. Maclin said he didn't need surgery and is now 100 percent.

Source: Know Them From Adam Podcast

Why so quiet? He is back and getting targets. 14 targets, 11 receptions 141 yards and a TD over his 2 games back. He looks like a safe WR2/3 type- what we hope Keenan Allen can be. This nagging shoulder injury is worrisome though.

He’s on the wire, about to drop Jordy for him 
I think I am starting him against the Packers this week over Corey Davis, Keenan Allen and Sammy Watkins. I just love that Packers match-up, they have been getting torched. 

I think I am starting him against the Packers this week over Corey Davis, Keenan Allen and Sammy Watkins. I just love that Packers match-up, they have been getting torched. 
I know I want to start him but how can i over Cooks, tyreek, Baldwin, or Thielen?

Users who are viewing this thread