What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Maclin (1 Viewer)

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley believes the Ravens would be the "perfect landing spot" for free agent Jeremy Maclin.

It makes so much sense. As Hensley points out, Ravens OC Marty Mornhinweg was Maclin's coordinator in Philly for his first four seasons before Maclin jettisoned for Kansas City. The Ravens are missing a ton of production from 2016 with Steve Smith Sr. retired, Kamar Aiken gone, and now Dennis Pitta's career likely over after a third dislocated hip suffered in OTAs. Maclin is the exact type of signing Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome explores. A veteran who clearly has gas left in the tank who won't count against the compensatory pick formula.

Related: Ravens

Source: ESPN.com 

Jun 3 - 10:32 AM

I hope not but only for purely selfish reasons. I own both Perriman and Maclin.
I'd be seriously rooting for it if I were you. Baltimore threw the ball more than any team in the NFL each of the last two years, and have lost over 300 targets off of those teams. It's pretty much perfect IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to assume he catches on somewhere, perhaps somewhere better than with ASmith. Last year was a bust hopefully there's an improvement.
I've actually defended Smith here before, but Maclin finding a home with a better QB isn't hard.  

pure speculation, but the Rams should be rushing to get him in and check him out.

I'd be seriously rooting for it if I were you. Baltimore threw the ball more than any team in the NFL each of the last two years, and have lost over 300 targets off of those teams. It's pretty much perfect IMO.
I knew they lost a lot of targets but I didn't know they threw that much. Perriman is going to go crazy this year.  

The Bears have the 7th most cap space according to sportrac and they could use a WR.

I wonder if the Colts might be interested? They have the 9th most cap space and should be able to afford him.

The Cardinals might be interested in Maclin as well. They have $15 million cap space.

Of course any team could likely make cap space available by cutting players if needed to afford Maclin.

Isn't the waiver priority tied to last year's record, like the draft? So Cleveland would get first dibs if they want him, right? So either the Browns or the Bears I would think. I'd rather have him with Alex Smith in KC than those two.

The Bears have the 7th most cap space according to sportrac and they could use a WR.

I wonder if the Colts might be interested? They have the 9th most cap space and should be able to afford him.

The Cardinals might be interested in Maclin as well. They have $15 million cap space.

Of course any team could likely make cap space available by cutting players if needed to afford Maclin.
I think the chances are very slim the Cards pick him up. They really like both Browns, Fitz is still there, and they drafted a rookie in the third round. Arians said recently that the entire group of WR's, including those that have no chance of making the team, is the strongest group he's ever seen. I'm not sure they have room for Maclin.

He isn't subject to waivers since he's been in the league at least 4 years, he's a free agent.
Thanks.  I was wondering why no other site had mentioned whether he would clear waivers. 

One site has the Titans as a top 5 possibility.  I don't think they'll sign him but rishard/Maclin/Davis/walker and their depth certainly has potential. 

He's got an interesting choice for sure.  He should be excited.  Kc wasn't exactly a great spot for him with their style.  Although they did win alot.

I would look for the best QB if I was him

I also wonder how many teams will be down on him since he was hurt and or not productive all last year.  I still think hes a really good player

He's got an interesting choice for sure.  He should be excited.  Kc wasn't exactly a great spot for him with their style.  Although they did win alot.

I would look for the best QB if I was him

I also wonder how many teams will be down on him since he was hurt and or not productive all last year.  I still think hes a really good player
If I'm a contending team who could use a #2 WR, I'm offering him an incentive laden contract with team options for next year.  If I'm him that's close to what I want too, bonus if that QB is Brees, 

If I'm a contending team who could use a #2 WR, I'm offering him an incentive laden contract with team options for next year.  If I'm him that's close to what I want too, bonus if that QB is Brees, 
It's really wide open to where he could go.  You would think the majority of teams would want him

Maclin's still a decent player. Don't agree that.
problem is team have filled their needs via FA and the  draft.....so how many spots are left...I think Boldin is playing either in Detroit or Baltimore and will be cheaper than what Maclin wants....maybe SF could use him to start right away? but his FF upside would be limited there IMO

problem is team have filled their needs via FA and the  draft.....so how many spots are left...I think Boldin is playing either in Detroit or Baltimore and will be cheaper than what Maclin wants....maybe SF could use him to start right away? but his FF upside would be limited there IMO
This is true.  I think a team moves some players and makes room for him though.  Hes better than most teams wr2 and would be wr1 on a few

Available cap space for the teams recently mentioned in this thread:

• LAR $1.7M
  • BAL $2.1M
  • DET $9M
  • NOS $12.3M
  • BUF $12.3M
  • ARI $15.1M
  • DAL $16.9M
  • CLE $60.9M
  • SFO $68.3M
Don't see LAR as a contender here. Too little cap room, too far from contending, not much appealing about it to Maclin.

BAL would be a good fit for Maclin and the team. Vet QB, albeit an average one. Team is typically in contention for playoffs. BAL lost 272 targets from last season (Smith, Pitta, Aiken), so opportunity is there. How would BAL clear enough cap room? I have to assume with some of the other teams listed and their available cap space, it is going to take at least $5M to sign him, maybe more.

DET seems like a very good fit. He is talented enough to take snaps from Jones and ultimately slot in as a 1B receiver to Tate's 1A (or even vice versa). Good QB who probably has more years left than Maclin does. Team has potential to contend for playoffs. They have enough cap room.

NOS is a good fit short term, but Maclin may outlast Brees. Still, he might be looking to bet on himself and just sign a 1 year deal at this point in the offseason, in which case that wouldn't be a concern. Not sure how he would slot in among Thomas, Snead, Ginn, so not sure if NO would see him as enough of a priority to spend the money on WR.

BUF may desire Maclin, but not sure why Maclin would want BUF, unless it is solely about money. The QB situation is not settled, and Taylor as the likely short term starter is uncompelling. And it is cold. I get that KC and even PHI were cold late in the season, but not like BUF. I suppose a 1 year prove it deal could work here.

ARI is another team where a 1 year prove it deal might work, but the QB situation is unknown beyond short term. Arians and Palmer could be appealing on a 1 year deal. Does ARI view WR as enough of a need to spend the money?

DAL is very interesting. Beasley is their #2 WR and Terrance Williams is their #3. I actually like 4th round draft pick Switzer, but he is the long term replacement for Beasley in the slot (at best). Maclin would seem to be a significant upgrade over Williams and could play across from Dez on the outside, with Beasley in the slot. They have the cap room and are a contender. Seems like a great fit for the team. DAL is not likely the best 1 year prove it situation, given they only attempted 459 passes last season and have Dez, Beasley, Witten as competition for targets. I could see him signing a 5 year deal here, with an easy out for the team after year 2 or 3.

For Maclin to go to either CLE or SFO, it would have to be completely about the money, and would presumably take a long term deal. Hard for me to see him doing that.

If Dallas wants him, I think Dallas gets him. Otherwise, Detroit or Baltimore seems most likely.

I find it strange we aren't hearing anything about teams trying to get him in for a visit. When Desean was a surprise cut around this time of year in the past, he had immediate interest and he was basically on the next flight to DC. That's the closest comparison to Maclin's situation that I can think of, unless he wasn't fully healthy. But he is, right? 

LeSean McCoy says he has been "recruiting" free agent Jeremy Maclin to sign with the Bills.

The fit makes sense for a Bills team that can't count on Sammy Watkins' health and is dealing with a knee injury to second-round pick Zay Jones. Maclin obviously has history with McCoy from Philadelphia, where Bills coach Sean McDermott's time as a defensive coordinator and secondary coach also overlapped. Buffalo would be a poor spot for Maclin's fantasy outlook, however.

Related: Bills

Source: ESPN.com 

Jun 4 - 2:23 PM

Jordan Schultz of the Huffington Post reports the Bills are in preliminary talks with free agent Jeremy Maclin.

It's not a great fantasy destination, but it does make a lot of sense from a reality standpoint. Jason Fitzgerald of Overthecap.com recently estimated Maclin would command $5 million annually. The Bills are dealing with injuries to top receivers Sammy Watkins (foot) and Zay Jones (knee).

Source: Jordan Schultz on Twitter 

Jun 4 - 4:10 PM

Another reason to motivate Dallas is that when Dez went down in 2015, Terrence Williams was awful (IIRC) when he had to step into the role of #1. 

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
New coach...new oc....new offensive philosphy......things change fast...perhaps if they roll with mccoy a healthy watkins....zay jones n maclin....they could be dangerous on offense
It all depends on whether Tyrod can learn to make accurate middle range throws. The guy is a beast on the deep ball, but struggles with throwing it over the middle. 

That said, a healthy Watkins, Maclin, and Zay Jones in the slot is a hell of a lot better than a gimpy Watkins, Robert Woods, and Marquise Goodwin. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jeremy Maclin is visiting the Bills on Tuesday.

Schefter adds "plans (are) being made" for Maclin to visit the Ravens on Wednesday, but that assumes he gets out of Buffalo without a deal. Both LeSean McCoy and Tyrod Taylor have recruited Maclin while Sammy Watkins (foot) and Zay Jones (knee) are both dealing with injuries. Even coming off a career-worst campaign, Maclin would represent a massive upgrade to Buffalo's depth chart.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
New coach...new oc....new offensive philosphy......things change fast...perhaps if they roll with mccoy a healthy watkins....zay jones n maclin....they could be dangerous on offense
I just can't see a massive swing where there'd be enough targets for Maclin and Watkins to be fantasy relevant with Zay Jones likely getting significant snaps. If Maclin goes to the Bills, he's a injury play - which is very possible given Watkins' health. I've seen him going around 3% in auctions - was going to target him on the Chiefs. I might bid 1.5% and see what happens, solely based on Watkins' injury history. But Baltimore would've been great. SF might've been ok since I think Maclin >>> Garcon. But I didn't see any of the other options happening... Detroit wasn't going to bring him in as an overpriced WR3, NO is set at WR, Dallas doesn't have enough targets to go around, Arizona is happy with their guys, etc. 

From a fantasy prospective, I"m hoping for Baltimore.
This is exactly what I was thinking.  Maclin is still good and can be a productive fantasy player but needs to be a on a team that throws well.  The Ravens seems like the best fit.  The Bills may be one of the worst.

Free agent Jeremy Maclin's visit with the Bills has spilled over into Wednesday.

Maclin arrived in Buffalo early Tuesday and was initially expected to visit the Ravens on Wednesday. Instead, he's being showed around town by former teammate LeSean McCoy and QB Tyrod Taylor, who are putting on the recruiting hats and trying to keep Maclin from leaving town without a contract. We should know something on this front by the end of the day, one way or another.

Related: Bills

Source: buffalobills.com 

Jun 7 - 11:24 AM

Users who are viewing this thread