What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamaal Charles Thread: Hall of Famer? (1 Viewer)

I'd probably wait and see unless we see something incredibly transparent from Reidsville such as jamaal will start and assume his old role.  It's a tempting opponent but too much uncertainty 

Who dares? I'm thinking crowell is the safer bet. West is in the mix too. They may not need charles much at all with ware looking so good. 

What to do in dynasty now?

I guess I'll use an IR slot for now, but is he pretty much droppable at this point?
I don't think so.  I think we tend to get caught up into thinking all these guys are cookie cutter parts and that "x" injury requires "x" time to recover.  It's not the same for everyone but that doesn't mean that once the player is healthy that they won't be very good again.  

Charles has never been overworked.  In other words, he's not used up as a lot of guys are at his age,  he is also a very unique type of runner.  He may never be (or might be) jamaal Charles again, but I don't think we are at a point where it's just over. 

I guess I can see someone going either way on it but I would lean to just saying "it just needs time and wasn't his year and the chiefs had the luxury to shut it down". 

Until there is a better option on the waiver wire, I'm holding and hoping.  Once I find someone I want on waivers however, he is a likely drop.  I can see a lot teams making that decision to make room for rookie picks for example and that might be my situation as well.  But for now I think you hold unless it's a shallow league or you can't find something better.  

Until there is a better option on the waiver wire, I'm holding and hoping.  Once I find someone I want on waivers however, he is a likely drop.  I can see a lot teams making that decision to make room for rookie picks for example and that might be my situation as well.  But for now I think you hold unless it's a shallow league or you can't find something better.  
Hopng for what? Earliest he can return is (I think) WK 17. Unless you are talking dynasty, no reason to hold him at all for this year's fantasy season.

Hopng for what? Earliest he can return is (I think) WK 17. Unless you are talking dynasty, no reason to hold him at all for this year's fantasy season.
Hoping that the carries he's received so far in his career hasn't ended his career.  That he comes back to the Charles that carried championships not so long ago.  Most of this board is dynasty so I assume that in all my replies.  Sorry for the confusion.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport was "told" that Jamaal Charles (knee surgery) has "a shot to come back this year."
We'll believe it when we see it. Charles has undergone ACL surgeries on both of his knees, encountering multiple setbacks in his latest recovery. He was dealing with problems in both knees before being placed on I.R. and undergoing "exploratory" surgery on Wednesday. Charles is certain to miss at least eight weeks. Perhaps he could return for a bit role in the playoffs.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

(FFToday) Jamaal Charles had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee on Monday. Previously had his right knee scoped. Had been experiencing problems in both knees.

ESPN's Tim McManus speculates Jamaal Charles could be an option for the Eagles if he is released.
Charles counts $6.2 million against the cap, and the Chiefs can save all of that by releasing him. Considering he is coming off two lost seasons due to knee issues, it is almost a given Kansas City will move on. If they do, the Eagles make a lot of sense. Coach Doug Pederson was his coordinator in Kansas City, and they need backfield help even if they do not cut Ryan Mathews. Signing Charles will be a gamble, but it could prove a smart, low-cost move for an Eagles organization pinching pennies as they attempt to surround Carson Wentz with weapons.

Related: Eagles

Source: ESPN
Feb 25 - 10:05 AM

This guy have anything left? I thought he looked pretty spry in his very few carries last year. Then he was done for the year.

i see now he was 12 for 40. 3.3.

like I said, very few carries. Guess I saw his best. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Who picks up JC - Eagles, Bucs, other?  

JC may have a year or two left for a team that has other needs and wants a stop gap at RB (a la the Colts w/ Gore).    There may still be some value to be had for someone....

Bad year to be a free agent back with a good class of rookies. But I'd like to see Charles in Carolina, probably split time with stew.  

Of course, watch the Patriots pick him up. 

The Colts could use Charles if he's anything like he used to be.
Yeah, them too!

I would love to see one of those teams draft a Christian McCaffrey and then grab Charles as a 1-2 year mentor/starter.  They both desperately need RB too.  I think Colts need O line more badly though, so I imagine that's their focus.

Yeah, them too!

I would love to see one of those teams draft a Christian McCaffrey and then grab Charles as a 1-2 year mentor/starter.  They both desperately need RB too.  I think Colts need O line more badly though, so I imagine that's their focus.
The Colts young OL made good strides in the second half of the season, but they do need to upgrade the right side of their offensive line.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports free agent Jamaal Charles' priority is to sign with a Super Bowl contender.
"No. 1 on his list is going to be playing for a contender," said Garafolo. "He's aiming for teams that were in the postseason and have a legitimate Super Bowl chance." Garafolo added that the Cowboys, in particular, "would be high on Jamaal Charles' list, for sure." Charles played his college ball at Texas. The Giants are another 2016 playoff team with which Charles would be a fit.

Related: Cowboys

Source: NFL.com 
Feb 28 - 3:23 PM

Colts haven't done anything at RB either, and Gore is ancient.  Not that Charles is a Spring chicken, but I would have thought that they would have done something to provide some options to Gore.  Charles is the kind of splash Irsay seems to like to make.

ETA - Right after I typed this they drafted Marlon Mack late in the 4th.  Don't know if that's the answer, but its worth noting.

From Rotoworld...

Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski "doesn't see" the Eagles signing free agent Jamaal Charles.

Charles' "market" has been completely nonexistent, which is surprising to a degree. Though he is coming off a significant knee injury and is 30 years old, he should be able to get another shot. Before the injury, Charles was one of the best backs in the league and has never averaged fewer than 5.0 YPC in a season. The Eagles are the most RB-needy team in the league right now, but Kempski doesn't see a fit for Charles, as Philly already has a number of small-ish space backs like Darren Sproles, Wendell Smallwood, and rookie Donnel Pumphrey.

Free agent RB Jamaal Charles is visiting the Broncos on Tuesday.

It's only Charles' second visit of free agency. Fresh off striking out on early-round running backs in a deep draft at the position, the Broncos still need to add to their backfield. If healthy, Charles would be an excellent complement/back-up plan for C.J. Anderson. Charles recently posted video of a vigorous workout. He should find a new home sooner rather than later.

Related: Broncos

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 
May 1 - 2:44 PM

ChuckLiddell said:
From Rotoworld...

Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski "doesn't see" the Eagles signing free agent Jamaal Charles.

Charles' "market" has been completely nonexistent, which is surprising to a degree. Though he is coming off a significant knee injury and is 30 years old, he should be able to get another shot. Before the injury, Charles was one of the best backs in the league and has never averaged fewer than 5.0 YPC in a season. The Eagles are the most RB-needy team in the league right now, but Kempski doesn't see a fit for Charles, as Philly already has a number of small-ish space backs like Darren Sproles, Wendell Smallwood, and rookie Donnel Pumphrey.
i dont believe this

Users who are viewing this thread