What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamaal Charles Thread: Hall of Famer? (3 Viewers)

Denver doesn't seem like a terrible landing spot. Neither CJA nor Booker should too difficult to steal carries from if his knees are right. At least its a visit...maybe with the draft over and this visit in the news interest in him will start to build.  Gotta think a team like Indi, Philly, or even GB can find a good use for a high upside potential difference making veteran, even if just for a short term.

Jamaal Charles' one-year deal with the Broncos has a $1 million base value.
Another $2.75 million is available through incentives, mostly related to whether or not Charles is active on Sundays. It's not a surprising deal for a 30-year-old back who has lost back-to-back seasons to knee injuries.

Source: NBC Denver 
May 2 - 6:18 PM

I'm not sure if I agree with this analysis.

Wasn't Dave Richard the guy who kept saying all spring/summer last year he didn't understand why Charles wasn't being drafted as a first rounder anymore? It reads like a fantasy owner that got burned by believing a player was healthy before he actually was.

But the real reason I don't agree Charles will get overdrafted is situation for Charles. IMO McCoy is the perfect OC to wring the last bit out of Charles. He's a GREAT receiver and McCoy will likely lean on him in that way. The den offense's #3 receiver last year was Booker with 31 receptions. I am willing to bet BIG that the #3 receiver this year will have a much, much higher number than that. Who are candidates to get those receptions now that FA/Draft is winding down? Carlos Henderson? Maybe, but you're counting on a rookie making a very fast transition. Butts? The ramp up for rookie TE's is already slow and then you factor in all the time he'll miss recovering from injury you have to assume it will be even slower. Cody Lattimer/Virgil Green? Well, it's spring so this is the time of year they really have value in FF but when the games start... I won't hold my breath.

McCoy gets a lot of hate around the league but I thought his offense was very good in SD. While I really like Woodhead as a player it seems obvious to me that Charles could afford to lose several steps and still be an even bigger threat after the catch. The downside with Charles is he's "only" a receiving back in the McCoy offense but just imagine for a moment if Thomas/Sanders were to miss time. Or (GASP!) imagine if CJ Anderson were to get an injury, which led him to get out of shape, which led to another injury, which led to him getting out of....... and so on. Charles would suddenly have a huge role in this offense. And I can speak from the perspective of someone that has seen what McCoy does when he has a dog-#### O-line. Plenty of short passes. PLENTY of short passes near the line of scrimmage. The broncos will be starting a rookie LT and the rest of their line isn't anything to write home about. 

I guess I only see upside at this point although I'll admit we haven't seen where is ADP will be after signing with den. Out if sight is out of mind and we haven't seen Charles playing for a awhile so I'll be surprised if his ADP creeps up as high as his floor, let alone his ceiling. Charles was a "do not draft" before falling in the McCoy offense imo. In PPR leagues I'm guessing Charles is a great value. In PPR Dynasty leagues(at least deep ones) I honestly think Charles has a chance to be a league winner as he'll have almost no value in those leagues before the season(unless Anderson can't make it out of the pre-season healthy again).

Sounds like he has a few more pro bowls to get back to stacking to :)

In all seriousness, he's been a great RB, one of the most effective in the history of the league in terms of YPC and he's, well, he's been hurt for a long time. So, it might be he's been hurt and that is the thing that keeps him from ever getting anywhere near back to what he was, even for a short-run or, perhaps, he's a guy that basically was one of the best that gave his body a good, long rest and now he's right again. 

There have been a good number of very good RBs who were fantasy relevant at this age and his biggest obstacle in terms of personnel to overcome is CJ Anderson. This might be a heck of a deal for a year for FF.

NFL Network's James Palmer suggests Jamaal Charles' performance in the Broncos' third preseason game could determine whether Charles makes the team.

Charles' long-balky knees will make their preseason debut in Denver's regular season dress rehearsal, where coach Vance Joseph promised Monday that Charles will play "a lot." Palmer calls it Charles' "one shot at making the Broncos' roster." Charles has no guaranteed money on his near-minimum deal, so the Broncos could cut ties without taking any financial loss should Charles struggle. They have rookie De'Angelo Henderson lined up as a change-of-pace fallback.

NFL Network's James Palmer suggests Jamaal Charles' performance in the Broncos' third preseason game could determine whether Charles makes the team.

Charles' long-balky knees will make their preseason debut in Denver's regular season dress rehearsal, where coach Vance Joseph promised Monday that Charles will play "a lot." Palmer calls it Charles' "one shot at making the Broncos' roster." Charles has no guaranteed money on his near-minimum deal, so the Broncos could cut ties without taking any financial loss should Charles struggle. They have rookie De'Angelo Henderson lined up as a change-of-pace fallback.
Deangelo is not a change of pace back lol

LOL at Charles not making the team.  C'mon, man!  Do the Broncos really think we're that stupid?  It doesn't matter what he does or doesn't do (unless he gets seriously injured) this game.  He's making the darn team.  They know what he's capable of and they already know if he's healthy enough to make the team.  I'm assuming his health is fine since everything out of camp has been positive.

I think it's very possible he doesn't make the team. The Broncos like what they've seen from Riddley and he plays special teams. Juwan Thompson can be a full back and he plays special teams. Deangelo Henderson isn't going anyware. Booker will probably start the year on the PUP. 

I'm rooting for him.

LOL at Charles not making the team.  C'mon, man!  Do the Broncos really think we're that stupid?  It doesn't matter what he does or doesn't do (unless he gets seriously injured) this game.  He's making the darn team.  They know what he's capable of and they already know if he's healthy enough to make the team.  I'm assuming his health is fine since everything out of camp has been positive.
Has it? Here are the news pieces that make me question it

For such an accomplished RB, he seemed to have a very hard time finding a job. 

Aug 7- Charles is healthy and ready for week 1

Aug 8- Nevermind, he is sitting out week 1

Aug 15- he is not playing week 2

This sounds an awful lot like Charles last year with the Chiefs where we kept hearing he was just about ready to play on Monday and then on Friday they would announce he was out that week. It's almost been 2 years since he hurt his knee. CJ and Booker are all making the team. I don't think most teams carry a 4th HB. You think Chares makes it over Henderson? You think they keep 4? I am pretty sure Charles gets cut and retires. 

Has it? Here are the news pieces that make me question it

For such an accomplished RB, he seemed to have a very hard time finding a job. 

Aug 7- Charles is healthy and ready for week 1

Aug 8- Nevermind, he is sitting out week 1

Aug 15- he is not playing week 2

This sounds an awful lot like Charles last year with the Chiefs where we kept hearing he was just about ready to play on Monday and then on Friday they would announce he was out that week. It's almost been 2 years since he hurt his knee. CJ and Booker are all making the team. I don't think most teams carry a 4th HB. You think Chares makes it over Henderson? You think they keep 4? I am pretty sure Charles gets cut and retires. 
I could certainly be reading the tea leaves wrong. It just feels to me like he's ready to roll. He's had PLENTY of time to get healthy and I think they're just being overly cautious with Charles.  Again, I could be totally wrong but this situation feels like a smoke screen.

I could certainly be reading the tea leaves wrong. It just feels to me like he's ready to roll. He's had PLENTY of time to get healthy and I think they're just being overly cautious with Charles.  Again, I could be totally wrong but this situation feels like a smoke screen.
As could I. I just have been following closely since last season (as a Ware owner) and this all sounds very familiar to last season. 

As could I. I just have been following closely since last season (as a Ware owner) and this all sounds very familiar to last season. 
The difference, imo, os that Charles himself is saying he's healthy and cutting etc... last year he was more ambiguous during interviews. Guy is still 30 and 2 years removed from surgery and I'm guessing the Broncos know exactly what he's capable of. We'll find out soon. 

The difference, imo, os that Charles himself is saying he's healthy and cutting etc... last year he was more ambiguous during interviews. Guy is still 30 and 2 years removed from surgery and I'm guessing the Broncos know exactly what he's capable of. We'll find out soon. 
There was the video he posted of him making lateral cuts and going through agility drills. There were all kinds of stories about him participating fully in practice. I hope he is 100% because he is really fun to watch, but something went wrong with his surgery/recovery. 

It seems to me that if he was truly ready to go the Broncos would want to test him more in camp and preseason to see if there is soreness after games or practice.  I have not heard good things about how he looks. There would be buzz for sure. I would bet he doesn't make the team. The Broncos are deep now at RB with the addtions of Henderson and Ridley. 

The story isn't over yet. He could end up doing well. My suspicion is he is still on the team due to the new rules regarding how many player a team can hold onto in preseason.

He looked great. A few dynamic cuts, great job at picking up blocks. He still has it, the obvious questions are will he have the volume of opportunity and will his health hold up? 

Glad to hear he looked good, Broncos definitely could use a playmaker in the backfield given the limitations of their QB. 

I was in some thread last week talking about Charles being Denver's #1 RB......got laughed out of the thread.....no one is laughing now.........

It's just a question of how much he can handle not if he's Denver's best back. 

He looked great. A few dynamic cuts, great job at picking up blocks. He still has it, the obvious questions are will he have the volume of opportunity and will his health hold up? 
I think the low volume will make him more effective in a team needs sense, but in fantasy, who knows. 

Jamaal Charles "may be limited to 10 touches or so" against the Chargers on Monday, according to Mike Klis of 9 News.

The report cites how Charles was limited in the preseason and how he was injured for the previous two seasons, so it makes sense from a logical standpoint. Despite some mild concerns of Charles not even making the team last month, he surpassed almost all expectations in the third preseason game to lock up the No. 2 spot behind C.J. Anderson. Charles isn't a reliable player to start in fantasy this week, but he'll serve as a handcuff to the oft-injured Anderson.

Source: 9 News

Sep 11 - 2:26 PM

Charles has pretty high projections across the board this week from FBG staff.

I almost flexed him because of it. Instead I took the safe route and flexed Lacy.

Will be interesting what he does with limited snaps and touches and how they use him.

Forgot I even flexed Lacy. Gross.

This guy is tough to start, but I have to say, he has been more involved than I thought he would be, and has done a lot with his touches. Running along at between 4-5 yards per carry. 

With CJA looking great in Denver, Charles seems like a really strong handcuff to own. Although they did lose their tackle. The real question is would they give him the bulk of the touches if something were to happen to CJ. My gut tells me yes, and I would be ready to see some Pro Bowls stacked on Pro Bowls.

Ive also learned that he makes pretty strong trade bait to CJ owners as I've had a nice enough offer I'm mulling over.

I realize I'm only replying to myself in this thread over and over again.  So maybe I'm the only fantasy player who owns Charles. But, another respectable game.

He outtouched CJ 9-8 on the ground 10-10 total for both, and rushed for 6.2 yards per carry and a TD.

I own me some Charles in all leagues and he's becoming a very flexible player. 

His knees won't hold up... blah blah blah... the broncos seem to have something here. His value skyrockets if something happens to CJA. Trade for him while you can. #probowlsonprobowls

I realize I'm only replying to myself in this thread over and over again.  So maybe I'm the only fantasy player who owns Charles. But, another respectable game.

He outtouched CJ 9-8 on the ground 10-10 total for both, and rushed for 6.2 yards per carry and a TD.

His knees won't hold up... blah blah blah... the broncos seem to have something here. His value skyrockets if something happens to CJA. Trade for him while you can. #probowlsonprobowls
Please provide proof that you started him 

I agree.  

I agree.  I'm holding charles and might even consider him in my flex next week. He looks really good.   And the broncos know what they have in him.  He's a back that can still take over a game when Called upon.  I think he's better than cj even at this point in his career.  

Curious to see what the cj owner in my league is willing to pony up to grab charles from me.  

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks good out there.  Not sure I'll have the stones to start him in the league where I have him until CJA gets hurt.  Of course if he keeps matching him touch for touch maybe I'll need to re-evaluate.

I agree.  I'm holding charles and might even consider him in my flex next week. He looks really good.   And the broncos know what they have in him.  He's a back that can still take over a game when Called upon.  I think he's better than cj even at this point in his career.  

Curious to see what the cj owner in my league is willing to pony up to grab charles from me.  
FWIW

In a league where I really need WR help and am fairly deep at RB, I had J Charles and Marvin Jones for Maclin on the table and agreed upon to the CJA owner. 

The Maclin owner backed out last minute.

After watching today's games I think I'm glad it didn't go through.

Hes rostered in both my leagues.  I'm hoping somebody for some reason decide s to cut him.   I would pick him up for sure

Still not sold on him bring startable. Hoping he's a viable fill in for bye weeks. But it is nice to see him playing and doing fairly well. 

I've held him but mostly for lack of other options and that our league only allows 2 waivers each week and I had lesser players to drop. 

Still not sold on him bring startable. Hoping he's a viable fill in for bye weeks. But it is nice to see him playing and doing fairly well. 

I've held him but mostly for lack of other options and that our league only allows 2 waivers each week and I had lesser players to drop. 
Fairly well?  You call averaging over 5 ypc "fairly well"?   Lol.  Today he averaged over 6ypc.  His involvement and his scoring has gone higher every week through 3 weeks.  Definitely looking like a good trend.  

Not saying I would feel super confident flexing him out. I suppose game script could have CJ dominating the carries in any given game.  But he's a tempting flex.  

I'm in the same camp as you.  Was drafting him with confidence in early July and beyond in the 11th round or later.  I had to throw JC in at flex in 2-3 leagues and he ended up being the correct choice.  He looks as good as I could have hoped.

Fairly well?  You call averaging over 5 ypc "fairly well"?   Lol.  Today he averaged over 6ypc.  His involvement and his scoring has gone higher every week through 3 weeks.  Definitely looking like a good trend.  

Not saying I would feel super confident flexing him out. I suppose game script could have CJ dominating the carries in any given game.  But he's a tempting flex.  
I'm not going to call it more than that with 9 carries in a loss against the bills.

I'm not going to call it more than that with 9 carries in a loss against the bills.
The bills defense has been solid.   And he logged more carries than cj today.  And had a better ypc.  And got the td.  Clearly outplayed him today.  Not saying that continues but let's give the guy his due for what he did on the field today.  He looked great and was the better back.  

The bills defense has been solid.   And he logged more carries than cj today.  And had a better ypc.  And got the td.  Clearly outplayed him today.  Not saying that continues but let's give the guy his due for what he did on the field today.  He looked great and was the better back.  
Sure to all of that. I just want to see him get more carries before I start him. I never really questioned his talent or ability, even now, to play well in small doses. It's his health that I'm watching. So a high ypc is great but for ff relatively meaningless unless it leads to more carries. I don't have confidence here that it will.

Users who are viewing this thread