What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamaal Charles Thread: Hall of Famer? (1 Viewer)

Nice work :thumbup:

Had a draft last night, took Charles at 3.5 and was able to snag Ware at 10.6.
Wish I had that luck.  My draft last night, Charles slipped to me in the 3rd.  It was bw him and guys like Carlos Hyde, forte, etc.   had to take the risk.  Got popped on ware 2picks before my turn in the 10th.  I wasn't about to spend a single digit pick on ware.  Instead I loaded up at Rb and have several really good options to plug in instead of Charles if he starts the season slow.  

I think charles will be fine.  I can see him getting off to a slow start for the first month though.   But once he and the coaches feel he's back to 100% they will take the diapers off and he'll have his 16-18 touches per game and be a back end rb1 or more. 

I think the Chiefs are just being extra cautious with him. They don't need to rush him back out there right away when they have Ware and West to help carry the load. Plus, it helps keep Charles fresh for the stretch run.

I think the collective freakout could be a good way to get him at a discount. So maybe he'll start a little slow. Fantasy championships aren't won in Week 1. And remember, he's never needed a high-volume of touches to be productive. 

I'm not saying I'm not a little nervous, mostly because we don't really know how close he is to being back. But I haven't heard anything that makes me think he won't be producing his usual numbers by the second half of the season.

KC has a bye in week 5.  So they could just want to ease him in the first few weeks and then after the bye give him more touches.  It's a long season so there is no need to rush him given their other options.

Last edited by a moderator:
The are going to be uber cautious with Jamaal.  And, why wouldn't they?  Ware and West have already proven they can shoulder the load and this team is looking at the playoffs.  He'll get touches, but I am staying away from a FF perspective.  

The are going to be uber cautious with Jamaal.  And, why wouldn't they?  Ware and West have already proven they can shoulder the load and this team is looking at the playoffs.  He'll get touches, but I am staying away from a FF perspective.  
That is my plan.  I am not taking the chance on Charles. 

If Charles slides down draft boards, at some point you have to take a chance on him IMO. I still think the Chiefs are going to ease him back in and he'll take over after a few weeks. I doubt Ware will go away, but Charles will be the lead back at some point this season. If you do take Charles though, I think you have to take Ware to protect yourself.

FWIW, in my 14 team PPR league, draft went super RB heavy, and Charles went 25 overall (RB 10 overall). West went in the 12th at 165th overall; Ware is undrafted.

I passed on Charles in favor of Ingram for some of the reasons peppered through this thread: Chiefs are likely going to mix up backs a lot early on to keep Charles fresh and healthy, and I thought it's much better to take a clear front-runner with less competition (outside of injury). 

FWIW, in my 14 team PPR league, draft went super RB heavy, and Charles went 25 overall (RB 10 overall). West went in the 12th at 165th overall; Ware is undrafted.

I passed on Charles in favor of Ingram for some of the reasons peppered through this thread: Chiefs are likely going to mix up backs a lot early on to keep Charles fresh and healthy, and I thought it's much better to take a clear front-runner with less competition (outside of injury). 
Drop your RB5 or wr5 for ware immediately 

I drafted Charles 15 th overall in the 2nd round before this bad news, From what I heard he was practicing looking good.  Who knows if this is deception, JC just 24 hours ago said he would be ready for games.  I took Ware in the 13 th round so im pretty happy about that.  Whoever is playing in the back field will be a monster and their may be room for 2 good backs in that offense. 

Drop your RB5 or wr5 for ware immediately 
Really? I get that Ware has huge upside, but seems the role will likely be split if Charles falters, and the potential that Charles comes back is still there. Ware would be a contributor, but is he someone I could really depend on as a starter, even with Charles out (whether for a few games or longer)? 

Trying to get an understanding why Ware is a better longer term play than another backup like Starks who will see playing time regardless, or a lottery ticket like McKinnon who will be the full time back if ADP went down.

Really? I get that Ware has huge upside, but seems the role will likely be split if Charles falters, and the potential that Charles comes back is still there. Ware would be a contributor, but is he someone I could really depend on as a starter, even with Charles out (whether for a few games or longer)? 

Trying to get an understanding why Ware is a better longer term play than another backup like Starks who will see playing time regardless, or a lottery ticket like McKinnon who will be the full time back if ADP went down.
Huge upside plus most likely having a piece of the pie on a team that loves running the ball even when Charles is healthy is exactly what you want on a fantasy team.   My guess is that Starks and Ware might end up with similar floors--but I like Ware's ceiling a lot more.   If Lacy goes down--I don't know if Starks becomes a top 7-10 RB.  He probably becomes a solid RB2.  If Charles goes down (and there are reports from people close to the situation saying that he's not really fully healthy)--Ware easily becomes an RB1.  I feel the same about McKinnon for the same reason. I'd easily take Ware or McKinnon over Starks.  However--now that I just said that--Starks will probably break records and win league MVP.  

You drafted over 200 players in a 14-man league and not one owner could find a reason to take Ware? 

Why is that surprising, specifically in a PPR? High upside WR3s on teams (ie Coates, Seth Roberts, etc.) could have much more potential than a handcuff RB.
Because he's technically a handcuff, but he's a handcuff for a 30 year old back recovering from his second ACL surgery. And unlike a loot of handcuffs, this one started games last year for this very team and performed great. 7 touchdowns in 80 carries.  Translate that over a full season and you have a guy with 17 or 18 touchdowns. That's a much safer bet than a guy like Seth Roberts.

Huge upside plus most likely having a piece of the pie on a team that loves running the ball even when Charles is healthy is exactly what you want on a fantasy team.   My guess is that Starks and Ware might end up with similar floors--but I like Ware's ceiling a lot more.   If Lacy goes down--I don't know if Starks becomes a top 7-10 RB.  He probably becomes a solid RB2.  If Charles goes down (and there are reports from people close to the situation saying that he's not really fully healthy)--Ware easily becomes an RB1.  I feel the same about McKinnon for the same reason. I'd easily take Ware or McKinnon over Starks.  However--now that I just said that--Starks will probably break records and win league MVP.  
I have this funny feeling DCs will be stacking the box vs MINN  :shrug:

Jamaal Charles - RB -  Chiefs

Speaking Friday, Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Jamaal Charles (knee) "is going to need a little time to work himself back."
The revelation that Charles was working behind Spencer Ware and Charcandrick West late in Chiefs camp should've been the first cause for pause. The second is that Reid himself is saying Charles is unlikely to open the season in his usual role. Charles tore his ACL last Week 5 and won't be a full calendar year removed from the injury until after the first month of the season. Expect Ware to serve as Kansas City's lead back to begin the year.

Source: Terez Paylor on Twitter 
Sep 2 - 2:41 PM

Even when Charles is full strength, do the Chiefs simply moth ball Ware?  From my POV, Charles is 29 coming off a 2nd ACL...in his last 20 games prior to the injury, he was averaging only 16-17 touches/game.  Even though he was one of the more efficient RB's out there, I could see a scenario where he maxes out as a 10-12 touch/game guy even when he's deemed full strength and cede goal line work.

Why is that surprising, specifically in a PPR? High upside WR3s on teams (ie Coates, Seth Roberts, etc.) could have much more potential than a handcuff RB.
Yeah, there was a long list of handcuff RBs on the WW when our 18 x 12 draft ended.

Ware & AlMO have been picked up.

Still out there: Ellington & CJ?K, Hightower & Spiller, Booker & Hillman, Blue & Ervin, Allen & Dixon, McFadden, Howard, West.

ESPN Chiefs reporter Adam Teicher suggests the team kept No. 4 running back Knile Davis on its 53-man roster as insurance on Jamaal Charles (knee) not being ready for Week 1.
Teicher also says Charcandrick West "has been nicked." Signs continue to point toward Spencer Ware in a Week 1 featured role against San Diego. It's unclear whether Charles will be active, but at this point we're guessing he won't.

Source: Adam Teicher on Twitter 
Sep 3 - 6:12 PM

Speaking Monday, Chiefs coach Andy Reid said it would be a "stretch" for Jamaal Charles (ACL) to play in Sunday's opener.

"I think it's a stretch for him to play on Sunday," were Reid's exact words. It confirms what the tea leaves have been suggesting the past week. Charles should be considered week to week, and far from a lock for Week 2. Spencer Ware, Charcandrick West and perhaps even Knile Davis will form a committee in Charles' likely absence. As chairman, Ware will do the heavy lifting on early downs, and will be a legitimate RB2 against the Chargers. West isn't a viable RB3.

Related: Spencer WareCharcandrick West

Source: BJ Kissel on Twitter

Ok.  Not good.  However, I've been prepared for this news for the last week.  

As long as there are no setbacks in his recovery.  That's what counts. At this point I'm treating Charles as I would have treated Leveon if I drafted him: don't count on him for the first 2-3 weeks of the season.  After you'll have an rb1.  

I'm just pissed that ware got snapped up 2 picks before I had the chance to grab him.

Bust, he reminds me when Steven Jackson fell off a cliff a few years ago 
Nah.  Why?  Sjax had a TON of wear and tear on those wheels.  

Charles doesn't have it as bad.  He's coming off an injury.  By end of September this thread will have a different tone. 

As long as there are no setbacks in his recovery.  That's what counts. At this point I'm treating Charles as I would have treated Leveon if I drafted him: don't count on him for the first 2-3 weeks of the season.  After you'll have an rb1.  

I'm just pissed that ware got snapped up 2 picks before I had the chance to grab him.
Those are my thoughts, but something (setback, complications, etc.) is likely to be up if he's still not ready to go.  He was well on track up until a week or two ago.  Bramel now thinks something is up

Not even remotely close. Unlike the Rams back in the day, the Chiefs have more than enough talent at both RB and overall to rush well and win games respectively, hence being cautious with Charles. He'll be right back to starting and raping the league in a week or 2. No big deal. 

Negative. Charles path to RB1 volume is a lot murkier. Bell comes back and walks right into 20+ touches. Charles will be limited........maybe all year.

It will be at least week 3 before he gets the most carries in this backfield and it could easily be week 4 or later. That's a lot of lost opportunity. Would it surprise anybody if he wasn't the same JC when he came back either? 

I'm a Ware owner, and I don't think Charles has hit the carry "cliff" yet.  Has 1300 lifetime carries (the cliff is considered 1800) and only 2 seasons over 250.  Never approached 300 carries.  If fully recovered from the ACL I would think he's got 1-2 seasons left.   The question is whether he comes back 100%.  But being 29, off of the 2nd ACL, with how he's struggled coming back from this one we may never see the same Jamaal again.  Hard to see him as dominant in any case.  Multiple ACL's, time off, aging - you have to lose something..

There is so much pessimism surrounding Charles the 29 year old coming back from an October ALC tear, yet so much optimism around Arian Foster the 30 year old coming back from an October Achilles tear.  I just don't understand the gap.  I realize that Charles recovery is seeming to take longer than expected, but the doom and gloom outlook on the rest of his career seems like a bit of an overreaction.  If he escapes this year without injury, then next year he is already a step ahead where foster is now and some are projecting Foster to have a top 5 finish this year.

I know the Chiefs have good replacement RBs and Charles may not play until week 2 or 3, but when he is ready, there is no reason to think he can't be capable of top 5 numbers this year and possibly next.  Maybe he gets cut next year and lands on a team like Foster to the Dolphins this year.  It just seems way to early to be writing him off for the future.  Many ACL repairs come back stronger than the original these days.  My advice is buy low on Charles anywhere an owner is panicking right now.  

There is so much pessimism surrounding Charles the 29 year old coming back from an October ALC tear, yet so much optimism around Arian Foster the 30 year old coming back from an October Achilles tear.  I just don't understand the gap.  I realize that Charles recovery is seeming to take longer than expected, but the doom and gloom outlook on the rest of his career seems like a bit of an overreaction.  If he escapes this year without injury, then next year he is already a step ahead where foster is now and some are projecting Foster to have a top 5 finish this year.

I know the Chiefs have good replacement RBs and Charles may not play until week 2 or 3, but when he is ready, there is no reason to think he can't be capable of top 5 numbers this year and possibly next.  Maybe he gets cut next year and lands on a team like Foster to the Dolphins this year.  It just seems way to early to be writing him off for the future.  Many ACL repairs come back stronger than the original these days.  My advice is buy low on Charles anywhere an owner is panicking right now.  
I tend to agree.  Charles has never been a guy to have MONSTER workloads so I don't know how we can look at age and make an informed "case" for what this means going forward.  In all honesty, I see it as them knowing what he means to the team and when you combine that WITH the injury AND the fact they have Ware, West, Davis, they probably are going th e"eddie Lacy" route with him where they can ease him into a ramped up workload, simply because they have the luxury of the backups.  

The result may be the same for ff in terms of value but I don't think Charles as an NFL player is a concern to have hit a wall or point of no return.  If anything, from a FF perspective, this could be a "steal" player of th year that comes along just at the right time and takes teams to titles. 

Chiefs coach Andy Reid dodged a question about Jamaal Charles' (knee) role once he returns from injury.

Reid confirmed Charles worked mostly with the scout team this week in practice, but he avoided a question about a potential timeshare once his star back returns. "When he’s ready to go, he’ll be a pretty good player," Reid said in his non-answer. "So, when he’s ready to go, he’ll be ready to go." Charles is a special player, but he will almost certainly share snaps with Spencer Ware once he returns. If someone is still willing to pay an RB1 price, it is not a bad idea to sell on Charles.

Terrible advice to ever "buy low" on a RB turning 30 in two months, just coming off his second ACL, with his coach being evasive about his health, and with a young and super talented back there now actually tearing it up. 

Terrible advice to ever "buy low" on a RB turning 30 in two months, just coming off his second ACL, with his coach being evasive about his health, and with a young and super talented back there now actually tearing it up. 
Hey, if you like critiquing advice in hindsight, there is a guy on this board who refers to himself as "coach" and makes a ton of bad calls.  You'll have a field day there.

I'm still buying LOW on Charles in dynasty.  Thanks!

Hey, if you like critiquing advice in hindsight, there is a guy on this board who refers to himself as "coach" and makes a ton of bad calls.  You'll have a field day there.

I'm still buying LOW on Charles in dynasty.  Thanks!
Swim on, friend. 

And the "2nd" ACL for Charles is irrelevant here.  Different knee and he had a full recovery from the first.

Charles also had a lot more room to give something back than Foster.  Foster was borderline athletically and made it work, but losing a step for him (if he does) is likely to be pretty noticeable.

I'd be buying if not for the uncertainty around the slow recovery time.  We sort of take ACL recoveries for granted at this point, but not everyone makes it back.

Still, if he does make it back he'll probably be pretty good.

I actually agree with this. Yes, SJAX had more mileage but Jam still has his age working against him. Plus, both of Jam's injuries were non-contact injuries if my memory serves me correctly. That makes me think his ability to cut on a dime and withstand the force involved with that type of movement is waning. Happens all the time in the NFL. One day you are beasting like Sean Alexander, then the next day, suddenly, you are no longer playing football.

I'm a Ware owner, and I don't think Charles has hit the carry "cliff" yet.  Has 1300 lifetime carries (the cliff is considered 1800) and only 2 seasons over 250.  Never approached 300 carries.  If fully recovered from the ACL I would think he's got 1-2 seasons left.   The question is whether he comes back 100%.  But being 29, off of the 2nd ACL, with how he's struggled coming back from this one we may never see the same Jamaal again.  Hard to see him as dominant in any case.  Multiple ACL's, time off, aging - you have to lose something..
I would add in the receptions and a few kickoff returns too. If you do that he's at 1,654 total touches.

I actually agree with this. Yes, SJAX had more mileage but Jam still has age working against him. Plus both of Jam's injuries were non-contact injuries if my memory serves me correctly. That makes me think his ability to cut on a dime and withstand the force involved with that type of movement is waning. Happens all the time in the NFL. One day you are beasting like Sean Alexander, then the next day, suddenly, you are no longer playing football.
The first one he was pushed out of bounds as he lunged for first down, then collided with Detriot's mascot. 

Edited for bad memory. 

Users who are viewing this thread