What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Now the Time to Sell Calvin Johnson? (1 Viewer)

Seems like Calvin doesn't get as much separation as he used to, although that happens to every receiver as they head towards the back end of their careers.

That said, with his size, range and my ball mentality, he'll always be a force when Stafford lofts it downfield or in the end zone.

"My understanding is, at this point, it is something Calvin Johnson would not be inclined to do," NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Oh yeah baby, cut him loose. Then he can sign with a team that will get him the ball. If he had the right QB and OC, he would dominate again as long as he doesn't end up hurt. Crabtree leaves Oakland. Calvin arrives. They got cash. He's smart enough to ignore a call from Jeff Fisher or Cleveland among other losers.

Seems like Calvin doesn't get as much separation as he used to, although that happens to every receiver as they head towards the back end of their careers.

That said, with his size, range and my ball mentality, he'll always be a force when Stafford lofts it downfield or in the end zone.
The separation is not what it used to be.

Wow. Stafford passes 46 times and Calvin only gets 1 catch on 5 targets. I didn't watch the game, but would not be shocked to hear his ankle is a bigger issue than what is known

I think I speak for everyone in this thread when I say #### you Calvin, Stafford, and the Detroit OC.

Most pathetic performance ever.

Wow. Stafford passes 46 times and Calvin only gets 1 catch on 5 targets. I didn't watch the game, but would not be shocked to hear his ankle is a bigger issue than what is known
Stafford is horrible. Totally missed Calvin down the middle for a huge gain if not TD.

I think I speak for everyone in this thread when I say #### you Calvin, Stafford, and the Detroit OC.

Most pathetic performance ever.
You forgot the ballless HC. Looked like the typical Lions O all year. Like they found Dumbardi's playbook and used it.

If there was a real injury issue here, he would've just shut it down for the day, maybe season.

He just looked like he didnt care today (I flipped game on a little starting in the late 2nd due to his ####ty stat line), and honestly I can't blame him. Stafford sucks, the Lions suck, and he is just emotionally drained and doesn't give a ####.

Never seen him looking like this.

Stafford is horrible. Totally missed Calvin down the middle for a huge gain if not TD.
This happens every week. Sometimes more than once.
Can't wait for Calvin to escape. As far as separation (mentioned earlier). Not needed. Slow as molasses Colston scored 2 RDs on the Bucs this week. Calvin is faster than Brandon Marshall and he just took one 70 yards for a TD. Separation and age are certainly no the problem. Crappy coaching and QB are.

Calvin was dinged for sure, but he was seeing single coverage all day. Lions coaching is unbelievably bad, all season long theyve insisted on going away from Calvin for some ungodly reason. Then they are desperate and go back to him and he produces. Stubborn fools.

And the excuses start mounting. Guys, I used to own Calvin and was his biggest supporter. So this is not coming from a place of hate. Watch old Calvin footage then watch current Calvin footage. See the difference. Its noticeable. The old man is declining.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the excuses start mounting. Guys, I used to own Calvin and be his biggest supporter. So this is not coming from a place of hate. Watch old Calvin footage then watch current Calvin footage. See the difference. Its noticeable.
Of course he's lost a step. He went from being the best WR in the known universe to merely one of the best. Nobody is denying that. The problems this year is how awful the offense is and some weird idea of using him as a decoy.

And the excuses start mounting. Guys, I used to own Calvin and was his biggest supporter. So this is not coming from a place of hate. Watch old Calvin footage then watch current Calvin footage. See the difference. Its noticeable. The old man is declining.
Calvin losing a step means zero. 6'5" 238. Currently faster than Brandon Marshall and his 1000 k 10 TD season.

I have all the old footage. The difference is this coaching staff will not throw it up to him and let him make a play on the ball. Shaun Hill used to throw it into triple coverage and Calvin would go up and get it.

Calvin losing a step means zero. 6'5" 238. Currently faster than Brandon Marshall and his 1000 k 10 TD season.I have all the old footage. The difference is this coaching staff will not throw it up to him and let him make a play on the ball. Shaun Hill used to throw it into triple coverage and Calvin would go up and get it.
Perhaps the Lions know something we dont? Nah. Caldwell is the worst coach in the history of coaching but still, losing a step does make a difference. Especially for a guy who used to be an advantage. Now he is just a guy.

Calvin losing a step means zero. 6'5" 238. Currently faster than Brandon Marshall and his 1000 k 10 TD season.I have all the old footage. The difference is this coaching staff will not throw it up to him and let him make a play on the ball. Shaun Hill used to throw it into triple coverage and Calvin would go up and get it.
Perhaps the Lions know something we dont? Nah. Caldwell is the worst coach in the history of coaching but still, losing a step does make a difference. Especially for a guy who used to be an advantage. Now he is just a guy.
This really isn't about him losing a step. Yes, every wide receiver will lose a step but even at 35, Calvin will be faster than Larry Fitzgerald and Mike Evans in their prime.

The O line and conservative play calling does this team in. Don't let the one Eagles game fool you. This offense and offensive line is bad. When they face a strong defensive line like the Rams the weaknesses are blatantly obvious.

This really isn't about him losing a step. Yes, every wide receiver will lose a step but even at 35, Calvin will be faster than Larry Fitzgerald and Mike Evans in their prime.

The O line and conservative play calling does this team in. Don't let the one Eagles game fool you. This offense and offensive line is bad. When they face a strong defensive line like the Rams the weaknesses are blatantly obvious.
Factor in the wuss effect of Caldwell and you see what the results are. Stafford would roll out sometimes giving Calvin the time to haul ### down the field and he would launch it up to him. Shaun Hill would do the same and even throw into triple coverage. They let Calvin make the play. This suckass coaching staff is full of losers incapable of even looking at old film to see how it was done before them came in and made it worse. I have yet to see an attempt like that this season except in desperation time. Forget it in the 1st or 2nd Q. They are too busy letting the defense dictate what they can do. #### you, you worthless pile of ####, loser Caldwell.

I will be looking to package Johnson and Sanders for a younger talent.........might not happen but that's the plan.

This happens every week. Sometimes more than once.
Can't wait for Calvin to escape. As far as separation (mentioned earlier). Not needed. Slow as molasses Colston scored 2 RDs on the Bucs this week. Calvin is faster than Brandon Marshall and he just took one 70 yards for a TD. Separation and age are certainly no the problem. Crappy coaching and QB are.
Agree. Andre Johnson (until he went to the Colts), despite being on a team with a poor QB, still managed to use his big body to be legit WR. Calvin can do more than AJ could at that stage of their respective careers.

Personally, I feel like I saw this exact same movie last year. Little injuries to knee, ankle, back —maybe not fully disclosed—lot of speculation if it might be more than advertised and if he is playing decoy.

Calvin was dinged for sure, but he was seeing single coverage all day. Lions coaching is unbelievably bad, all season long theyve insisted on going away from Calvin for some ungodly reason. Then they are desperate and go back to him and he produces. Stubborn fools.
THis is a clear sign of POOR coaching and an inability to adjust in the game (I'll pause while the shock wears off from readers as they find this impossible to believe from a Caldwell -coached team).

They "prepare" every week, assuming teams will completely over commit to defending Calvin and they build everything they have into going the other way and then they can't conceive of ways to adjust to that in-game and so they beat their heads into the proverbial wall and it shows as it exposes how bad they look running into opponent's strengths and failing to take advantage of their own strength in a plus matchup situation.

I can follow the logic of your thoughts but I think you are going to have a hard time convincing many people that this is on Calvin when we all look around the league and see FAR lesser talents being very viable on teams and the main differences are that those teams simply don't mind feeding their studs.

Calvin might be 80% of what he was but that means he's still more capable than 8 out of every 10 WRs in the league. It is simply too hard to look around the league and see guys like Ted Ginn, Jr and Michael Crabtree FEASTING and not think "If only this guy were being utilized.

We will never know and I might be talking out my head but if Calvin was on the Raiders right now, I'd say he is a 100+/1400/10TD guy without blinking.

All this is true but want to add the Rams were missing three key defenders and the Lions STILL couldn't figure it out. That's on the coaches, not Calvin.

THis is a clear sign of POOR coaching and an inability to adjust in the game (I'll pause while the shock wears off from readers as they find this impossible to believe from a Caldwell -coached team).

They "prepare" every week, assuming teams will completely over commit to defending Calvin and they build everything they have into going the other way and then they can't conceive of ways to adjust to that in-game and so they beat their heads into the proverbial wall and it shows as it exposes how bad they look running into opponent's strengths and failing to take advantage of their own strength in a plus matchup situation.
It's repeated over and over virtually every week. They ignore him until it is desperation time. Then they use him to try a frantic feeble comeback. This past week was one of the worst displays in his career. They simply let the other team dictate what they can do. Once that idiot Caldwell said that, he should have been fired. The clown is living proof that anyone on the planet can stand on the sidelines and pretend to be an NFL head coach.

I can follow the logic of your thoughts but I think you are going to have a hard time convincing many people that this is on Calvin when we all look around the league and see FAR lesser talents being very viable on teams and the main differences are that those teams simply don't mind feeding their studs.

Calvin might be 80% of what he was but that means he's still more capable than 8 out of every 10 WRs in the league. It is simply too hard to look around the league and see guys like Ted Ginn, Jr and Michael Crabtree FEASTING and not think "If only this guy were being utilized.

We will never know and I might be talking out my head but if Calvin was on the Raiders right now, I'd say he is a 100+/1400/10TD guy without blinking.
That is where I was hoping he would go but slow as molasses Crabtree...a far lesser WR..... wisely signed a new deal.

people who had byes are drooling over calvin's w15 matchup, he could post doug bladwin TD numbers against the aints

people who had byes are drooling over calvin's w15 matchup, he could post doug bladwin TD numbers against the aints
No. You really have to watch this team play to understand how bad the coaching is. They have taken Herm Edwards style losing to a whole new level. They have absolutely no interest in scoring tons of points. If they can get up 2 TDs, Calvin (and scoring again) is out of the gameplan......right now he's not even in it.

And really, Matt Stafford totally sucks. Every pass is 100 miles an hour on a rope.....and usually high.

Guys... the Eagles game was an aberration. He was matched up against a rookie CB that was given no safety help. It wasn't like Calvin was getting big time separation. That just happened to be one of Staffords few games of his career that he was throwing the ball into tight windows and letting Calvin go up and get it. The guy is no longer elite. It's clear as day.

That is where I was hoping he would go but slow as molasses Crabtree...a far lesser WR..... wisely signed a new deal.
And to think, Calvin could have been a Raider all along and they took (?Jamarcus Russell?, was it?) instead.

Of course, that would have changed too many things to say it would come back to where we are now, but, seriously, if he could find his way out to San Diego this off-season, that would be nice. I'm not a Chargers fan, per se, but I know Phillip Rivers has the balls to put that bad boy to work.

Guys... the Eagles game was an aberration. He was matched up against a rookie CB that was given no safety help. It wasn't like Calvin was getting big time separation. That just happened to be one of Staffords few games of his career that he was throwing the ball into tight windows and letting Calvin go up and get it. The guy is no longer elite. It's clear as day.
He's the only thing elite on the team. The rest are on par with the philly rookie CB.

And to think, Calvin could have been a Raider all along and they took (?Jamarcus Russell?, was it?) instead.

Of course, that would have changed too many things to say it would come back to where we are now, but, seriously, if he could find his way out to San Diego this off-season, that would be nice. I'm not a Chargers fan, per se, but I know Phillip Rivers has the balls to put that bad boy to work.
Was looking at potential landing spots and a lot really suck. That one would be gold. He made an average big guy like Floyd a better player. They could use him and ####can stevie Johnson. Unfortunately for him, he would be on a really bad team.

I like the Redskins as a team to make the play for Calvin.

Sorry, can't buy that. THat's like saying Dez Bryant suddenly sucks. I have seen FAR TOO MUCH horrendous QB play and coaching in the NFL this year not to know how to spot a trend. There are about 14-15 TEAMS in the NFL right now that have piss poor QBs and/or coaching and they are getting walked around the park on a leash on a weekly basis by teams that know what they are doing.

Sorry, can't buy that. THat's like saying Dez Bryant suddenly sucks. I have seen FAR TOO MUCH horrendous QB play and coaching in the NFL this year not to know how to spot a trend. There are about 14-15 TEAMS in the NFL right now that have piss poor QBs and/or coaching and they are getting walked around the park on a leash on a weekly basis by teams that know what they are doing.
Exactly. The team is too busy throwing dumpoff passes to the crappy RBs and TEs on 3rd and forever (that they are usually in) than using their best player. They do nothing to get him the ball.

Only thing we can hope is that the Detroit staff has the same analysis as you and they cut him loose.

I will say that there have been WRs that put up big numbers and fell off before 30. Michael Jackson was one. But Jackson is no Calvin Johnson.

Only thing we can hope is that the Detroit staff has the same analysis as you and they cut him loose.
Detroit staff won't have that analysis but maybe we should get in touch with Martha Ford. She's got the balls to make to call.

Detroit staff won't have that analysis but maybe we should get in touch with Martha Ford. She's got the balls to make to call.
She needs to have the balls to say, 'I'm paying this guy $20 million a year for 1 catch for 16 yards?', 'If you losers do not throw the ball to him 15 times a game going forward you are fired when the clock hits zero.' 'The stats show that 8 catches by Calvin Johnson wins games and you #######s can't even throw it to him 8 times a game, let alone complete 8 passes to him.' 'How come you morons don't know that stat?'

anybody have the balls to bench him this week despite playing the Saints? If so, for who?

I've got OBJ and Decker slotted to play, but could bench Calvin and roll 3 RB's instead (Hightower, Shoelace, West). Doubt I do it, but the O-line doesn't afford Stafford any time to throw the ball 15 yds down field, and the coaching staff won't alter his routes to quicker short hitters.

Anybody else kicking ideas around?

anybody have the balls to bench him this week despite playing the Saints? If so, for who?

I've got OBJ and Decker slotted to play, but could bench Calvin and roll 3 RB's instead (Hightower, Shoelace, West). Doubt I do it, but the O-line doesn't afford Stafford any time to throw the ball 15 yds down field, and the coaching staff won't alter his routes to quicker short hitters.

Anybody else kicking ideas around?
I'm starting Antonio and ARob at WR and deciding between Calvin and Hilton for flex. Or I could go with 3 of Forte, Hightower, Shoelace or West instead.

Users who are viewing this thread