What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Now the Time to Sell Calvin Johnson? (3 Viewers)

Probably just straight conjecture but with Megatron not a the practice facility today at all?!?!? Maybe he is out getting a physical for someone?!?
Salary would cripple any team dealing for him. The lions would have to give picks away with him to get a deal done. No chance

I posted this in the rest of season WR thread....(this assumes he stays in Detroit)

For what it's worth, after his bye this week (where hopefully any possible ankle injury is resolved), Calvin Johnson will be against the #17, 30, 19, 17, 10, 28 and 27 ranked pass defenses (in order, notice the two very nice matchups week 15 and 16). 6 of those 7 games are in a dome.

A) No chance they move him

B) If they did, no way he lands in NE

C) If by some miracle he did, it wouldn't be good for his stats - Too many mouths to feed and he would be going there to win. Team player who would happily take a reduction in targets to win a title.
1. Gronk

2. Edelman

3. Calvin

2. Everyone else that doesn't matter.

Targets would probably be about the same as he is getting now.

A) No chance they move him

B) If they did, no way he lands in NE

C) If by some miracle he did, it wouldn't be good for his stats - Too many mouths to feed and he would be going there to win. Team player who would happily take a reduction in targets to win a title.
1. Gronk

2. Edelman

3. Calvin

2. Everyone else that doesn't matter.

Targets would probably be about the same as he is getting now.
You're forgetting about Dion Lewis. He takes 6-8 in the first half alone before the game is out of hand.

Probably just straight conjecture but with Megatron not a the practice facility today at all?!?!? Maybe he is out getting a physical for someone?!?
Not that GMs, coaches and players don't lie through their teeth all day to keep info from becoming public, but Mayhew says they are buyers not sellers. Calvin says he wants to stay in Detroit and win with the team that drafted him.

BIG IF - if a team wants Megatron, it's going to cost a 2nd, a 3rd and assuming his contract, which balloons to $24M next year and runs through 2019. In the last three years, the cap hit is $21.3M, $17M & $18.3M.

In other words, Johnson is going nowhere today.

I just hope he is not dumb and lets this organization off the hook by redoing his contract WHEN they ask him to.

Does anyone have any more current news on the health of Calvin?

For someone that is in the top 15 at WR, there has been so little discussion of him the last few weeks its odd.

I know they are on bye, but I am thinking of trying for a last minute trade for him in a league this week , and the "current news" on his status and ankle is almost non existant.

Normally there is plenty of info and speculation, but the news and talk on him is pretty much dead the last week or so.

TZM

For someone that is in the top 15 at WR, there has been so little discussion of him the last few weeks its odd.

I know they are on bye, but I am thinking of trying for a last minute trade for him in a league this week , and the "current news" on his status and ankle is almost non existant.

Normally there is plenty of info and speculation, but the news and talk on him is pretty much dead the last week or so.

TZM
I am pretty sure he will play next week. He didn't play at all in the offseason. So why would he practice on a off week after leaving a game? I am sure if the injury was more serious there would be updates.

Last edited by a moderator:

TZM
Don't players usually get the first week off when they are on the bye?

He's fine. Could have gone back intro the game but there was no reason too. With 2 weeks to heal, he will be good to go.

Megatron didn't practice today.

Could be precautionary and it's a long way until Sunday, but not a good early sign after a bye week off.

So...I'm kinda amazed there hasn't been more buzz. Homers, what's the story? We've been here before where it was decoy time for Calvin. Any news?

So...I'm kinda amazed there hasn't been more buzz. Homers, what's the story? We've been here before where it was decoy time for Calvin. Any news?
There is no story. With the new interim GM and His press conference and the letter sent to all the season ticket holders, there really hasn't been a lot of coverage on the players. If it was done intentionally to take some heat off the players and coaches it was done extremely well.

He's 28. Will be 29 in September. This will be his 9th year in the league. He's had a few injury bumps over the past couple of years and the Lions have added Tate and Ebron.

If you own him in a dynasty format, I'll argue his value will never be higher. He's a bonafide top 6 pick in all redraft models as well. In dynasty, fair or unfair, once a player hits 30, many people think the uber productive days are somewhat numbered. If you held him until next year, someone might hold pack compensation, even by a slight amount, because he will turn 30 in September of 2015.

By dealing him now, you can get absolute maximum value. I posit that by waiting until next year, the bounty in return for Calvin begins a nearly inevitable drop off.

I say now is the best time to sell.

Curious to get the SP's Perspectvies. Thanks.
Great call

Calvin has been around so long most people assume he's 70 years old and they won't seek him out in trades. I'm of the opinion that at some point he'll get traded or sign with a team that gets people excited, meaning his value will spike again in the future. (Patriots would blow minds, it would be visions of Randy Moss 2.0 dancing in everyone's heads, but even something like the Panthers would incite drooling.) I'd rather ride Calvin until then and consider unloading him when he's newsworthy - even if it takes a few seasons, I think a change in scenery and the accompanying buzz might actually increase his value over what it is today.

Don't have a dog in this fight but for those looking at his value Calvin got swapped for r Cobb in my ppr keeper league.

Calvin is going to blow up next year. He deserves respect and will probably go to a team of his choosing, a contender. I would love to see him in Dallas with Dez.

I'm holding, he will rise to the occasion and blow up next year.

Tex

A lot of speculation that maybe he wants out of Detroit.

Tex
He came out a couple weeks ago and said he wants to stay and win in Detroit, but the flip side of that is he also knows he won't be getting 20 million a year for the next 2 years any where else. He wouldn't get half that.

A lot of speculation that maybe he wants out of Detroit.

Tex
He came out a couple weeks ago and said he wants to stay and win in Detroit, but the flip side of that is he also knows he won't be getting 20 million a year for the next 2 years any where else. He wouldn't get half that.
He wants out. He's being politically correct because he's a nice guy.

Calvin to Oakland scenario.

On playing in Detroit next year: "We'll have to wait and see," Johnson said. "I don't think about what could happen."

Doesn't sound like a guy committed to playing the rest of his career in Detroit.

Now is the time for the Lions to move Calvin. Let him go somewhere he has a chance to win. Get him & Stafford off the books - complete rebuild. Burn it all down.

It'd be awesome to see him go to the Titans and mentor DGB. Its unlikely since he'll probably want to go to a contender. I can hope tho!

If he went to the Pats he would be a definite sell for me. Some people would be gaga for Calvin with Brady and give a ton. Easy sell if that happens.

If he went to the Pats he would be a definite sell for me. Some people would be gaga for Calvin with Brady and give a ton. Easy sell if that happens.
I would certainly consider selling if I could get 2 1st round picks for him.
I think he would go for more than that in most leagues, depending on the quality of firsts that is. If he was a patriot i am not selling for picks 11 and 12.

You can get that in most leagues now.

I would certainly consider selling if I could get 2 1st round picks for him.
Lol that was what you could get last year. Everybody in this thread was screaming about how he was worth way more. You can probably get an early 1st for him now but even if he goes to NE I wouldn't give up two 1st for him. He get's banged up quite a bit and that won't change in NE.

He was out on the football field earlier today testing the ankle.

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread