What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Now the Time to Sell Calvin Johnson? (3 Viewers)

Of the top 50 WR seasons since the merger, just five were authored by a receiver over the age of 30 and three of them belonged to Jerry Rice at ages 31-33. The other two were Terrell Owens (age 34) and Mushin Muhammed (31). I know none of that speaks specifically to Calvin Johnson - if there's anybody who can break the mold and have a Rice-esque run into his 30's it's Calvin. But I tend to agree with OP that now or 2015 is probably the time to entertain offers; evidenced by the fact that the vast majority advise against it.

It's when everyone AGREES it's time to sell that the door has already closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the top 50 WR seasons since the merger, just five were authored by a receiver over the age of 30 and three of them belonged to Jerry Rice at ages 31-33. The other two were Terrell Owens (age 34) and Mushin Muhammed (31). I know none of that speaks specifically to Calvin Johnson - if there's anybody who can break the mold and have a Rice-esque run into his 30's it's Calvin. But I tend to agree with OP that now or 2015 is probably the time to entertain offers; evidenced by the fact that the vast majority advise against it.

Of the top 50 fantasy WR seasons since the merger, 3 were authored by Calvin Johnson. Green, Julio, Demaryius, Dez, and Jeffery have combined for 1.

Rice, Moss, Owens, Harrison, and Sharpe are the only other WRs with more than 1 top 50 season through the age of 28; each of them had at least one more top 50 season at age 29+ (with an average of 1.8 more).

By PFR numbers (no ppr, baseline of WR30), those 5 WRs averaged 483 VBD through age 28 (Owens 336, Harrison 263, Moss 684, Sharpe 390, Rice 742) and 479 VBD at age 29+ (Owens 531, Harrison 556, Moss 314, Sharpe 109, Rice 883). Calvin has 535 VBD through age 28. Best guess, based on those peers, is that he's about halfway through his career and has another 500 VBD to go. (There's a case to be made that Rice is peerless, but then again Sharpe had a career-ending injury after his age 29 season.)

Can't help but believe we have yet to see the best from Calvin Johnson. The additions of Tate and Ebron are going to do wonders. He has never had help to keep defenses even remotely honest. If these guys step up like they are supposed to, Calvin is going to go bananas for the forseeable future. I'm riding Calvin into Canton. I'm betting on him being dominant into his age 36 season. Easily.

Sell him just in time to rattle off top 3 finishes for the next 6 years before he starts to decline a tad.. sounds like a good idea :lol: I would be more worried about getting rid of Aps, Fortes, lynchs for younger pieces before they turn into Sjax, arian fosters LOL

Thanks. I am going to unfollow Waldman for re-tweeting this crap.
In defense of Waldman, twitter is the wild west. What makes it so effective for spreading breaking news also makes it susceptible to spreading hoaxes. When I saw that tweet retweeted onto my timeline, I almost retweeted it to my followers, too. Lots of legitimate news gets broken by random dudes who just happen to be at camps.

Calvin has a bone on bone issue that he opted not to get micro fracture surgery on. I would sell
Has any new news come out about this? I believe his ankle is causing the non-practices on Wed & Thurs and limited on Fri. Is it time to bail on him?

If Calvin has an injury issue that is one thing, but lots of receivers have had good seasons after 30.

Marvin Harrison had 4 straight 1100+ yards and 10+ touchdowns after 30

Randy Moss had 23 touchdown season at the age of 30

Andre Johnson had 1500 yard seasons after 30

Terrell Owens who you mentioned.

That is all I can think of right at the moment. I am sure there is more

If Calvin has an injury issue that is one thing, but lots of receivers have had good seasons after 30.

Marvin Harrison had 4 straight 1100+ yards and 10+ touchdowns after 30

Randy Moss had 23 touchdown season at the age of 30

Andre Johnson had 1500 yard seasons after 30

Terrell Owens who you mentioned.

That is all I can think of right at the moment. I am sure there is more
Look at it the other way. Calvin is arguably in the top 1-2 tiers of WRs all time, depending on how one breaks it down. For the WRs in those tiers who played in the past 20 years, how many of them didn't excel for multiple seasons past 30? None that I can think of.

I can get Julio cooks and Crowell for Calvin and spiller or take out spiller and cooks for just a 2-1. Tempted to do the latter. Calvin for Julio /Crowell.

i would. they are pretty close when healthy, but calvin is dinged up and who knows how long it will linger or hamper him.

This will be a hot topic this week. Question is will CJ owners be selling low or will it get lower? Count me in as a panicky owner. If I can move him for a legit WR1 in a package deal I'm doing it. He's been invisible when on the field.

you arent getting him for jordy, dez, green, julio, brown. mebbe not jeffery or marshall but im not sure you would prefer those guys. anyone willing to take kelvin, maclin, cobb, crabtree? i suppose if i could get kelvin and solid rb like jennings i would sell.

you arent getting him for jordy, dez, green, julio, brown. mebbe not jeffery or marshall but im not sure you would prefer those guys. anyone willing to take kelvin, maclin, cobb, crabtree? i suppose if i could get kelvin and solid rb like jennings i would sell.
I don't know. You might be able to package him for a top WR to an owner not paying close attention. The megatron brand carried high value. Plus you might get someone who wants to feel smart and buy low.

Calvin has a bone on bone issue that he opted not to get micro fracture surgery on. I would sell.
From 12/30/13:

Lions coach Jim Schwartz says receiver Calvin Johnson will have minor surgery on his right knee this offseason. Schwartz said it's not microfracture surgery or anything like that.
http://www.detroitsports1051.com/news/2013/12/30/calvin-johnson-to-have-knee-surgery

So... he didn't have this surgery?

Is this what's going on?
thought it was reported as an ankle injury?

Calvin has a bone on bone issue that he opted not to get micro fracture surgery on. I would sell.
From 12/30/13:

Lions coach Jim Schwartz says receiver Calvin Johnson will have minor surgery on his right knee this offseason. Schwartz said it's not microfracture surgery or anything like that.
http://www.detroitsports1051.com/news/2013/12/30/calvin-johnson-to-have-knee-surgery

Is this what's going on?
thought it was reported as an ankle injury?
He had an ankle injury vs GB if I believe, I am just wondering what ILov80s is referring to.

The former would be temporary. The latter would be a problem.

I just added he and Lesean McCoy to my trading block this morning. Can't have guys averaging 2 pts per game in my starting lineup.

Funny thing is, I've gotten ZERO offers. Sweet.

I don't understand trying to sell him now that he's injured. The last two weeks before the injury, he had over 80 yards each, which are both pretty good. The week before that he had 164 yards and 2 TDs. Sometimes he has down games, this doesn't mean he's going to be washed up soon...

I just added he and Lesean McCoy to my trading block this morning. Can't have guys averaging 2 pts per game in my starting lineup.

Funny thing is, I've gotten ZERO offers. Sweet.
How is he averaging 2 points per game???

From 12/30/13:

Is this what's going on?
I had a bit to drink and shouldn't have posted that as it is personal medical info. But yeah, it's true.

From 12/30/13:

Is this what's going on?
I had a bit to drink and shouldn't have posted that as it is personal medical info. But yeah, it's true.
How exactly do you know this?

From 12/30/13:

Is this what's going on?
Did your uncle's brother who is Calvin's barber tell you this?

From 12/30/13:

Is this what's going on?
Do you have so much to drink that you forgot you posted it? Seem like you could have gone back any time after August 21st and either deleted the post or edited out the "personal medical info".

From 12/30/13:

Is this what's going on?
Do you have so much to drink that you forgot you posted it? Seem like you could have gone back any time after August 21st and either deleted the post or edited out the "personal medical info".
I deleted it from another thread, but didn't realize I missed this one. No point in deleting it after it's quoted here. Anyone that knows me on here knows I don't just make up random stuff, so take it fwiw.

I deleted it from another thread, but didn't realize I missed this one. No point in deleting it after it's quoted here. Anyone that knows me on here knows I don't just make up random stuff, so take it fwiw.
Where do you have him ranked in dynasty?

That big body of his is starting to break down... he did the same #### last year...goes off for like 300 yards...gets hurt...then every other game he does something worthwhile....he's not consistent at all ...his points come in Chunks

That big body of his is starting to break down... he did the same #### last year...goes off for like 300 yards...gets hurt...then every other game he does something worthwhile....he's not consistent at all ...his points come in Chunks
Yep. He scored 44 points in week 1 in my league, then goes for 14, 16, and 3. You expect a lot more than that from your #1 pick (in a lot of cases). I think he is breaking down.

p.s.

My 2 point per game comment was more towards Shady's last two games. However, he is only averaging 11 pts per game on the season. For what was possibly the #1 overall pick in a lot of drafts.

I'd like to see someone break down Calvin's per game scores versus other wrs. I haven't seen anything, but just from experience it seems the inconsistency can be said of any wr...

I'd like to see someone break down Calvin's per game scores versus other wrs. I haven't seen anything, but just from experience it seems the inconsistency can be said of any wr...
That may be true. But is Calvin "just a guy"? The problem is he is supposed to be a dominating WR to the point where people drafted him in the 1st round of their fantasy drafts. If he is JAG...then that is a wasted pick. And that is what stings.

Users who are viewing this thread