What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Nicks now just a mediocre fantasy WR? (1 Viewer)

Eli won't look for him on 3rd downs, or in the RZ...at least it appears that way to me. Too lazy to look up situational target numbers.
This. The ##### doesn't even look for him at all. He locks in on one guy (usually Cruz) from the snap and that's it.

I know frustration is at an all time high, but timing has been terrible. Just as he seems to be getting healthy, Giants offense goes into a total funk. The Giants passing offense has been junk the last 3 weeks. Eli has thrown one TD in his last 3 games. ONE. That flukey bomb to Victor Cruz against Washington. Eli completed 10 passes for 125 yards today. He was garbage. No WR can thrive in that environment fantasy-wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite sure what happened for the NYG offense. If Cruz is covered, Eli doesn't know what to do. And the few times he does throw Nicks' way, it's poorly thrown one way or the other. They desperately need their bye week to come.

It seems like people are in too much of a panic over Nicks. Anybody who watched the game today would agree that Nicks actually looked like he was moving really well. Eli missed him on a pretty big pass play that would have gone for 60-70 yards too. Let's not forget that Nicks was hurt earlier--and he happened to come back right when Eli started a streak of 3 bad games in a row. I personally would not bet on Eli to remain this bad--and in direct correlation to this--I would not bet on Hakeem staying this bad. Nicks is one of those guys who is more than capable of having 3 monster weeks in a row--so I would urge patience. Even calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Dez have all had bad streaks of games this season--but eventually talent breaks out.

It seems like people are in too much of a panic over Nicks. Anybody who watched the game today would agree that Nicks actually looked like he was moving really well. Eli missed him on a pretty big pass play that would have gone for 60-70 yards too. Let's not forget that Nicks was hurt earlier--and he happened to come back right when Eli started a streak of 3 bad games in a row. I personally would not bet on Eli to remain this bad--and in direct correlation to this--I would not bet on Hakeem staying this bad. Nicks is one of those guys who is more than capable of having 3 monster weeks in a row--so I would urge patience. Even calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Dez have all had bad streaks of games this season--but eventually talent breaks out.
I agree with this to an extent, but the difference between Nicks and those other guys you mention is that Nicks is the #2 receiver on his team. This is the Cruz show and that's just the way it is. Nicks can give you the occasional huge week, but between Eli always looking to Cruz first, a balanced offense with plenty of focus on the running game, and Eli's general inconsistency, you really are rolling the dice putting him in your lineup week to week, assuming you have other decent options.I've owned Nicks for the last 2 and a half seasons and very rarely has it been fun. Even last year, he had a couple of his biggest games in the real NFL playoffs, which was useless for his fantasy owners (I know that's irrelevant, but it's still annoying!). Sure, he's one of the most talented receivers in the NFL and is elite, but from a fantasy perspective, he really is a bit overrated. If I could sell him right now for a Denarius Moore, Decker or Miles Austin, even a Dwayne Bowe in his terrible situation, I'd do it in a heartbeat...but you can be sure that's not happening. I see a lot of people think he's a good buy low, and he does have a good schedule, but you have to have at least some level of consistency out of a guy you drafted to be your number 1 or 2 receiver. Otherwise, he's just a WR3/flex play, and honestly, that's all he is right now.

It doesn't matter how Nicks looks when Eli looks awful.

Maybe the bye week will cure Eli. Until then, Nicks is bench bound until Eli stops looking like Gabbert out there.

'RushHour said:
'jvdesigns2002 said:
I agree with this to an extent, but the difference between Nicks and those other guys you mention is that Nicks is the #2 receiver on his team. This is the Cruz show and that's just the way it is. Nicks can give you the occasional huge week, but between Eli always looking to Cruz first, a balanced offense with plenty of focus on the running game, and Eli's general inconsistency, you really are rolling the dice putting him in your lineup week to week, assuming you have other decent options.I've owned Nicks for the last 2 and a half seasons and very rarely has it been fun. Even last year, he had a couple of his biggest games in the real NFL playoffs, which was useless for his fantasy owners (I know that's irrelevant, but it's still annoying!). Sure, he's one of the most talented receivers in the NFL and is elite, but from a fantasy perspective, he really is a bit overrated. If I could sell him right now for a Denarius Moore, Decker or Miles Austin, even a Dwayne Bowe in his terrible situation, I'd do it in a heartbeat...but you can be sure that's not happening. I see a lot of people think he's a good buy low, and he does have a good schedule, but you have to have at least some level of consistency out of a guy you drafted to be your number 1 or 2 receiver. Otherwise, he's just a WR3/flex play, and honestly, that's all he is right now.
I actually beg to disagree. The nature of Wr's--even elite ones--is that they generally go through periods of inconsistent play that can be attributed to inconsistent qb play, defensive match-ups, injuries, and defensive game plans. Dwayne bowe has not been a model of consistency either, nor has fitzgerald, nor has Julio Jones, nor has Andre Johnson, nor has Brandon lloyd, nor has Jordy Nelson, nor has Greg Jennings, nor has Dez Bryant, nor has even Calvin Johnson to a certain extent this year. I could continue on this list if you I had more time. Most fantasy leagues have 12 teams, start 2 wrs and maybe a flex spot. You calling him a WR3/flex would mean that you on average would comfortably start 25-30 wr's ahead of Hakeem. The biggest mistake that people make in fantasy sports is that they look to the past--not the future. If you look at what Hakeem has done so far this year--perhaps his numbers are what you would expect from a wr3/flex--but that does not mean that he doesn't have wr1/wr2 potential with elite upside to come. Do you remember how Fitzgerald started the year? How about Doug Martin? Maybe wes welker who started the season on the bench, how about trent richardson? Elite talents in great situations (and I would call Hakeem a very talented guy--in a fantastic situation--I believe that Eli is a legit qb) are things that should be embraced--not avoided. Just because of this fact alone--at worse I would call Hakeem a legit WR2 with WR1 upside.

Are you guys rolling with Nicks this week or benching him until Eli and the passing game show signs of life?

'ponchsox said:
Are you guys rolling with Nicks this week or benching him until Eli and the passing game show signs of life?
Thinking about finally dusting him off & starting him (hasn't started for me since week 2...just didn't trust his health & his production has not made me regret it). I don't like Steve Smith's matchup against Champ, but still might start him over Nicks.

'ponchsox said:
I'm starting him because of Percy Harvin's injury. My only options after Brandon Marshall (who always starts) are Nicks, Crabtree, Hartline, and Stevie Johnson. I like Nicks more than all of those guys, so he gets the nod (along with another one, since I have to start three).

'ponchsox said:
Debating whether or not to play Chris Givens against Sf on the off chance he gets that 1 long catch or continue to hope that Eli can remember who he is.

'ponchsox said:
Benching--maybe dropping. He's behind Julio, Decker and James Jones and we can flex that third WR.

'ponchsox said:
Benching--maybe dropping. He's behind Julio, Decker and James Jones and we can flex that third WR.
Dropping? That's crazy talk. Did you not see his week 14 playoff matchup?

'ponchsox said:
Dropping? That's crazy talk. Did you not see his week 14 playoff matchup?
Haha people are crazy. I know he hasn't been performing, but the guy was unhealthy most of the year and then Eli had 2 horrible games in a row. They will pick it up. I'm not sure if it will be this week or if it will be after the bye, but it's soon. Go ahead and bench him if you choose (I'm not), but dropping him is something you will deeply regret. The guy is 25 years old and has shown to come back and perform well year after year for the past 3 years. It's not like last year was his only good year.

You have to be ####### kidding me. With a week 11 bye, this may mean he sits this week. I'm already without Mcfadden (and Goodson), Murray, and Harvin this week. What else can go wrong?

You have to be ####### kidding me. With a week 11 bye, this may mean he sits this week. I'm already without Mcfadden (and Goodson), Murray, and Harvin this week. What else can go wrong?
dont draft an entire team of injury prone players ;)

dont draft an entire team of injury prone players ;)
Every RB at the back end of the first round was injury prone when I grabbed Mcfadden (or coming off an injury). I didn't draft Nicks, and Murray was a keeper.Harvin isn't really injury prone, he's typically played through stuff.

I love Nick's talent but this is really looking like a lost season for him. I was on the bandwagon that he was a great dynasty buy but I'm getting a bit leery of him at this point.

I've been able to win with his terrible games, maybe if he sits I can increase the point production from my wr3 spot.

Looking on the bright side.

Not gonna practice all week

(KFFL)Updating a previous item, New York Giants WR Hakeem Nicks (knee) is experiencing swelling in his knee again and will not practice this week. Nicks had battled through pain in his surgically repaired foot and had swelling in his knee earlier in the season but appeared to be getting healthier as he wasn't on the injury report last week. However, he was listed on the report Wednesday, Nov. 7. "He did, so we are going to rest him today," head coach Tom Coughlin said.

Not gonna practice all week (KFFL)Updating a previous item, New York Giants WR Hakeem Nicks (knee) is experiencing swelling in his knee again and will not practice this week. Nicks had battled through pain in his surgically repaired foot and had swelling in his knee earlier in the season but appeared to be getting healthier as he wasn't on the injury report last week. However, he was listed on the report Wednesday, Nov. 7. "He did, so we are going to rest him today," head coach Tom Coughlin said.
I don't see where in the report it says that he won't practice all week. I looked around online and I found the same article you've posted here, and it is titled "Nicks will not practice this week", but there is nothing in the actual article that says that. Coughlin's comments don't say that either.I think this may be a case of someone poorly titling an article, rather than it being a report that he's not practicing all week (not that I would be surprised if that ended up being the case).

It's not the first report that states Nicks won't practice this week. Look around, there are others saying what KFFL is reporting. With a bye coming up it's not unreasonable to think he will rest this week.

It's not the first report that states Nicks won't practice this week. Look around, there are others saying what KFFL is reporting. With a bye coming up it's not unreasonable to think he will rest this week.
It's not unreasonable, but nobody has SAID he is sitting out this week. As a Nicks owner, I'd rather him sit out. Give him 2 solid weeks to get healthy. The Giants are in disarray anyways.

Since I posted the original comment, other sources are reporting the same information...so it seems to be out in the open now. ESPN New York and Michael Fabiano are reporting it.

When I commented originally, there were no reports that I could find saying it. The weird thing is that the only quote online from Tom Coughlin says that he won't practice TODAY.

Just sold Kyle Rudolph and Miles Austin for Nicks, buying low obviously. Austin was my flex, but I also have Ryan Mathews or Lance Moore to step into flex duties until Nicks (hopefully) comes back to form. I think in my case the potential reward outweighed the risks.

Hixon once again becomes a handcuff option for Nicks owners. TBH, Hixon has held more value than Nicks this year and I'd rather play him for as long as Nicks is less than 100%. Also, the schedule does open up now (although CIN has stepped up their game as of late), so I have to believe the NYG passing attack will get back on track.

Hixon once again becomes a handcuff option for Nicks owners. TBH, Hixon has held more value than Nicks this year and I'd rather play him for as long as Nicks is less than 100%. Also, the schedule does open up now (although CIN has stepped up their game as of late), so I have to believe the NYG passing attack will get back on track.
I want to believe this as I've had Hixon collecting dust for awhile on my bench. But one lousy target and a goose egg last week don't give much confidence in a plug n play type start.

I want to believe this as I've had Hixon collecting dust for awhile on my bench. But one lousy target and a goose egg last week don't give much confidence in a plug n play type start.
If I did quick snap count percentage/target/production analysis between him and Nicks I think it would show an obvious inverse relationship between the two. It's hard to judge any of the NYG receivers in the past couple weeks as well. Of course, one target and a goose egg is far from what you want to see, but relative to the rest of the crew and Eli, it's far from surprising. He still consistently sees the third most play time which is the most important statistic to take away from this in the event that Nicks misses time.

My link

WR Hakeem Nicks reappeared on the injury report after being taken off last week for the first time all season. Coughlin said the swelling returned in Nicks' left knee and he will rest today. His previous right foot injury is not listed

its just more proof that you can never put a lot of stock in what player's say in regards to their injuries. last week nicks claimed he was 95% when that was obv far from the case.

Users who are viewing this thread