What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Nicks now just a mediocre fantasy WR? (3 Viewers)

I'm finally willing to say that Nicks is JAG.
Yeah, time to cut the losses, eat the crow, suck it up and put on the big boy underwear. I went down the wrong path. Could have had Nicks or Cruz a few years ago. Chose terribly. Although, now, with Cruz, it may be over too.

Rotoworld:

Hakeem Nicks - WR - Free Agent
Free agent Hakeem Nicks is visiting the Titans.
The report is via the Nashville Tennessean's Jim Wyatt. As is usually the case with the Titans, we don't get it. GM Ruston Webster has already taken a flier on fading veteran Harry Douglas. He doesn't need to add another one to the mix. Things have gotten so bad with Nicks that he recently had to publicly posit that he's not "finished." Webster is ranked dead last in our annual general manager rankings, which can be accessed at the link below.

Related: Titans

Source: NFL's Best GMs 2015
Apr 13 - 4:15 PM

Nicks averaged only 6.0 yards per target this year, which was last among Colts players with at least 25 targets.

YPT Player

10.3 T.Y. Hilton

9.1 Donte Moncrief

8.4 Coby Fleener

7.9 Dwayne Allen

6.7 Trent Richardson

6.7 Reggie Wayne

6.7 Dan Herron

6.4 Ahmad Bradshaw

6.0 Hakeem Nicks
Wow -- that's truly awful that he's behind three mediocre RBs.

Nicks became a lazy bum just looking for a payday. He doesn't even want to try to work hard for a payday and then be lazy. He just wants the payday. Seems teams figured that out, although that wasn't hard to figure out.

Nicks became a lazy bum just looking for a payday. He doesn't even want to try to work hard for a payday and then be lazy. He just wants the payday. Seems teams figured that out, although that wasn't hard to figure out.
Ehhh... I think that the multiple injuries killing his burst have more to do with it than him being lazy. I know that he had attitude issues during his last year in NY, but I didn't hear anything negative last year. He's just physically shot at this point whether he works hard or not.

Rotoworld:

Hakeem Nicks - WR - Titans

Hakeem Nicks blamed the Colts' offensive scheme for his lack of production last season.

We saw a dead-legged player struggle to get separation, just like he did during his final two years with the Giants. Nicks, of course, thinks otherwise and vows to rebound in Tennessee under Ken Whisenhunt. "It's more one-on-one, trips backside, vertical throw, shallow-cross game, that's more of my style if you look at my past history, where I excelled," Nicks said. He'll try to hold off Dorial Green-Beckham and Justin Hunter as long as he can.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 3 - 11:28 AM

Rotoworld:

Hakeem Nicks blamed the Colts' offensive scheme for his lack of production last season.

We saw a dead-legged player struggle to get separation, just like he did during his final two years with the Giants. Nicks, of course, thinks otherwise and vows to rebound in Tennessee under Ken Whisenhunt. "It's more one-on-one, trips backside, vertical throw, shallow-cross game, that's more of my style if you look at my past history, where I excelled," Nicks said. He'll try to hold off Dorial Green-Beckham and Justin Hunter as long as he can.

Makes sense. How can anyone be productive in that Colts offense?

Rotoworld:

3 years ago is sooo not fair to call him out on. He had hurt foot, ankle, and knee and played through it. Gmen should have benched him and forced the trooper to heal up. Who plays through that?

Surgeries that offseason and an eventual abdomen injury that had him avoiding contact made him seem different two years ago.

One of these years his average was quite good 15-16 ypc.

He discussed his injuries affecting his game AND the Colts versus Titans scheme. He prefers to have to beat guys one on one versus running to a spot. He always has (most WRs do) and now with a "prove it" chip on his shoulder, he's excited the Titans offer him that style of play.

The spring stuff was so fluffy geesh who could believe it?

Now that he's doing extremely well in camp and people are posting these highlight reel pics on twitter..I still don't believe it. I've said a dozen times or so "that's Nicks?" while looking at the pics.

Hunter has finally arrived (possibly, another hard thing to believe) and he is holding off Hunter and DGB and still starting? I don't believe it

I know he and Mariota worked out together. I know he was doing so well he teased "they'd better put two on me"...I won't believe a thing until I see it in a preseason game.

Also, fwiw, a healthy Nicks has a spin move he always uses for YAC and an injured Nicks doesn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEojZ9lZJGMSounds odd I know but look at any Nicks video, it's his goto move

Rotoworld:

3 years ago is sooo not fair to call him out on. He had hurt foot, ankle, and knee and played through it. Gmen should have benched him and forced the trooper to heal up. Who plays through that?

Surgeries that offseason and an eventual abdomen injury that had him avoiding contact made him seem different two years ago.

One of these years his average was quite good 15-16 ypc.

He discussed his injuries affecting his game AND the Colts versus Titans scheme. He prefers to have to beat guys one on one versus running to a spot. He always has (most WRs do) and now with a "prove it" chip on his shoulder, he's excited the Titans offer him that style of play.

The spring stuff was so fluffy geesh who could believe it?

Now that he's doing extremely well in camp and people are posting these highlight reel pics on twitter..I still don't believe it. I've said a dozen times or so "that's Nicks?" while looking at the pics.

Hunter has finally arrived (possibly, another hard thing to believe) and he is holding off Hunter and DGB and still starting? I don't believe it

I know he and Mariota worked out together. I know he was doing so well he teased "they'd better put two on me"...I won't believe a thing until I see it in a preseason game.

Also, fwiw, a healthy Nicks has a spin move he always uses for YAC and an injured Nicks doesn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEojZ9lZJGMSounds odd I know but look at any Nicks video, it's his goto move
It would be a nice comeback story, for sure. There IS something about him that seems unusually off in the way he fell off the map and never even flashed a sign of what once was. I guess it could be injuries. I don't know. But if he came anywhere close to being what he was back in the day, there are some people who are going to get them selves some steals. It got so bad, I haven't even really seen him traded in leagues...just outright dropped. If you could get a guy that put up WR20-28 numbers and his age (dynasty) off the wire, that's pretty good.

Rotoworld:

Jim Wyatt of the Titans' official website reports Hakeem Nicks has been "making plays on a regular basis" during training camp.

Wyatt admitted Nicks was "overweight and just didn't impress that much" at OTAs and minicamp. He's come back in shape and is getting plenty of work with the first-team offense, though snaps have been divided between all of the Titans' receivers. Nicks may be fifth on the depth chart and competing with rookie Tre McBride for one roster spot. He'll need a strong preseason.

Source: titansonline.com

Aug 7 - 12:06 PM

The last 24 hours were somewhat amusing for me since I have reporter friends from NY/NJ area and TEN area. Both said their team signed him, then well they made an offer, then well geesh idk what's going on. This morning cleared that up.

I'd pick the 1st place team too if I were him.

I'll be picking him up in FF.
He was so surprisingly fast and shifted quickly that I was oh my the Titans have a player here. But he got slower and slower and seemed to really wear down.

Time off to rest and re-figure out what being in top shape means.

My guess is he's good right out of the gates and gets progressively worse or he has improved his conditioning and isn't. Either way that's easy to pickup and drop for FF, if necessary.

I'm very much not a fan of Giants WRs outside of ODB.

Nicks has great hands, always has. It'll be more if he can get open with regularity.

If he does anything, Giants fans will appreciate those hands. The drops (recorded stat or not) have been brutal for them. Eli can lock-in way too long on ODB then throw a panicky bullet at Nicks and expect he'll catch it. This is like the Giants 2nd most common play this year too BTW.

I've been wrong before but I think this might be a decent surprise for some. 10 FF points, 5 catches 50 yards. Nothing too grand, but Giants fans will be glad Randle didn't drop 2 of those 5 passes

He was so surprisingly fast and shifted quickly that I was oh my the Titans have a player here. But he got slower and slower and seemed to really wear down.

My guess is he's good right out of the gates and gets progressively worse or he has improved his conditioning and isn't. Either way that's easy to pickup and drop for FF, if necessary.

Nicks has great hands, always has. It'll be more if he can get open with regularity.

If he does anything, Giants fans will appreciate those hands. The drops (recorded stat or not) have been brutal for them. Eli can lock-in way too long on ODB then throw a panicky bullet at Nicks and expect he'll catch it. This is like the Giants 2nd most common play this year too BTW.

I've been wrong before but I think this might be a decent surprise for some. 10 FF points, 5 catches 50 yards. Nothing too grand, but Giants fans will be glad Randle didn't drop 2 of those 5 passes
What about Harris?

I'm not impressed with Randle, so Nicks has my attention. Nicks might be slow but should be good for a few 50/50 shots downfield.

I'm kinda digging Harris in his slot role, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the legs are shot but hopefully his hands aren't. In any case Giants fans can wear their Nicks jersey on game days again!

What about Harris?
I never like him enough.

He always looks like the KR turned WR, very uncomfy

Harris has been really effective over the last month.

Nicks hasn't been good in a long, long time. But I guess as a WR4 he should be fine.

Saints tried out Nicks and either slow day or he was impressive because it's getting a bunch of talk.

He was surprisingly impressive in Titans camp week 1 and wow slow and tired looking week 4.

If it's going to be that predictable, I will grab him in dynasty and be ready to drop him too

Maybe he was in fine shape but not football shape or somesuch. 

I don't see why they'd have him and not Colston. Whatever an older WR can teach the younger ones Colston surely could but...as long as it's going to be obvious I'll take a chance in dynasty. I usually need a cheap veteran to cover a developing rookie WR so...

Never.again.

Ever time I see his name it makes me mad. He singlehandedly torpedoed a team I had.  One of my worst fantasy mistakes (if you don't include that time I thought it would be a good idea to talk about the gf's best friend and mention the words menage-a-trois).

Surprising.  If there's one team that seems to have a surplus of mid-tier WR talent already, it'd be the Saints.

Whose value (if anybody's) is this hurting?

Users who are viewing this thread