What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (1 Viewer)

what about larry fitzgerald?

he would be cheap, play for a ring

a technition at reading d's and getting open

great locker room guy for any rookies drafted

just a hunch

Packers sign DT Jarran Reed

Defensive line depth. Should help them to concentrate mostly on offense during the draft
Or...piss everyone off and go defense with both in the 3rd round.  Never know with the front office.

Dline depth was needed though, I do like this signing.  Having that plus depth at corner finally is a good thing. 

WR market is slim and slowed down to about nothing at this point.  Might as well take a look at Will Fuller. Market does not seem very high on him.

Pretty interesting report from Silverstein today -

Silverstein: Davante Adams asked to be traded to Raiders well before Packers applied franchise tag

It seems more and more the case that Gutekunst pulled another rabbit out of a hat on this one with the way he managed it.
Agreed though the Twitter idiots see those extra 4th rounders the Chiefs got and say the Pack got fleeced.  Hill situation completely different and I'm happy with the picks they got back for Davante.

Wonder what's making Packers and GM Brian Gutekunst slow in free agency?  There are a few decent receivers left such as Will Fuller.  Didnt they covet him two years ago prior to the trade deadline? 

Wonder what's making Packers and GM Brian Gutekunst slow in free agency?  There are a few decent receivers left such as Will Fuller.  Didnt they covet him two years ago prior to the trade deadline? 
I think your 2nd sentence answers your first. Decent receivers, yes. But nothing to break the bank for. More likely working a trade or waiting for comparable WRs to be cut by other teams.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the Packers wait until June to see who is left from the FA wr pool, and then sign someone to a depressed contract. I think it's pretty telling that multiple successful teams have moved on from wrs, as they approach these astronomical salaries. I think for teams with highly priced qbs, that is prudent business, and will be a trend going forward. 

I'm intrigued by the possibility of trading for Cooks or Parker, but I'm not expecting it. 

Rob Demovsky@RobDemovsky

In 1999, Ron Wolf used his first 3 draft picks on DBs. In 2012, Ted Thompson used his first 6 on defensive players. In 2022, could Brian Gutekunst do something similar with receivers? If so, I asked

@nfldraftscout

to help IDs some realistic options:

===========================

>>>  Drafting two (or three) receivers could be in the cards for the Green Bay Packers
Olave & Burks could be in play in round 1. The TE from Colorado State, Trey McBride, in round 2.

It's water under the bridge, but I think DeVante Parker would've been a good fit with AR and young WRs. With Fitzpatrick at QB, he was 1200-9 in 2019. Relatively cheap for 2 years and a 2023 3rd would've been enough. 

Yeah I keep seeing Olave to the Packers but I don't think he'll last that long. They'll have to trade up to get him
Matt Schneidman

@mattschneidman

‘Twas the night before draft day

All cheeseheads are believers

That this is finally the first round

They take a receiver

Brian trades up to 14

Time to punch the Super Bowl ticket

The pick is in Packers select

Kenny Pickett

I know he is disfavored in the Cheddar Nation, but I buy McGinn's draft analysis every year - mostly to read after all the picks are in and save for future years.  Summarizing McGinn's sources (scouts, NFL personnel guys) - FWIW they don't think there is a #1 WR in this year's draft. Everyone acknowledges there will be several drafted in the top 20 or so, but the consensus was - no clear top receiver but lots of guys who will develop into decent #2 WR's in the NFL.

Im just happy I didn’t need to start drinking earlier thinking Rodgers will be traded any minute like last year.

The Packers only had 6 WRs with 1st round grades. All were gone by their pick. This is only day 1 of the draft. I'm OK with them not reaching for a WR with a second round grade on day 1. Draft a WR Friday or sign a cheap veteran.

Christian Watson. Skyy Moore. George Pickens still out there. Let's see if the Packers move up tomorrow to get one.

Gutekunst watching a lot of Georgia film the last two years.

2021 - CB Eric Stokes

2022 - LB Quay Walker, DT Devonte Wyatt

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not saying the picks are bad, but they are not spectacular for sure. Around the league, Lions trading fo J.Williams, Eagles trading for AJBrown and Cardinals getting Hollywood. Hard to be excited Asa Packers fan.

Lol at Packer fans complaining the Packers drafted defense. For years now the main complaint is that the Packers defense  let Rodgers down in the playoffs. This team is going to be built on defense and the running game.

I am not saying the picks are bad, but they are not spectacular for sure. Around the league, Lions trading fo J.Williams, Eagles trading for AJBrown and Cardinals getting Hollywood. Hard to be excited Asa Packers fan.
Oh, its not super exciting.  Lions have the luxury of rebuilding to be able to take Williams.  With where GB is, that is not quite a great move for them to move up to grab him.  AJBrown...given the injury and then his contract, would have been easier keeping Davante than hoping he puts together complete seasons with that contract.  And Im not as high on Hollywood as others are with him.

Lol at Packer fans complaining the Packers drafted defense. For years now the main complaint is that the Packers defense  let Rodgers down in the playoffs. This team is going to be built on defense and the running game.
I like these defensive picks way more than reaching for a WR.  The top ones were gone and any WR they reached for at 28 might actually make it to them in rd 2.  Smart to go BPA elsewhere with these picks.  

The Packers only had 6 WRs with 1st round grades. All were gone by their pick. This is only day 1 of the draft. I'm OK with them not reaching for a WR with a second round grade on day 1. Draft a WR Friday or sign a cheap veteran.

Christian Watson. Skyy Moore. George Pickens still out there. Let's see if the Packers move up tomorrow to get one.

Gutekunst watching a lot of Georgia film the last two years.

2021 - CB Eric Stokes

2022 - LB Quay Walker, DT Devonte Wyatt
I really like it.  Obviously I would've loved a round 1 WR but the once the Saints moved up to snag Olave and the Lions got Jameson I didn't love the remaining options.  The fact they drafted an athletic versatile LB when they've ignored that position, even worse than WR, over the years made me happy.  Can never have too much speed on defense.  If they can get a solid WR in round 2 this draft is looking damn good. 

I have been critical of the front office and rightfully so, but I am really really happy with the two first rounders. I have always said the defense is smoke and mirrors, wilting when the spotlight is on them. 

After years of suffering through horrendous ILB play we can pair Campbell with Walker. Walkers versatility is fantastic - excellent blitzer, great in coverage and can stand up lineman in the run game. Instant impact player.

Adding Wyatt to the DL brings explosiveness next to Kenny Clark. I am very comfortable with our top 4 DL now.

I want to see them continue to take BPA, and if that is not a receiver it is what it is. Reaching for a receiver that won’t see a meaningful snap is never a good move. While there needs to be a lot of work done at receiving group (still hope they can get the raiders to part with Waller) they still need to accumulate talent they will play next year.

Hard not to like what they did yesterday. The front 7 is going to be awesome.

I really like it.  Obviously I would've loved a round 1 WR but the once the Saints moved up to snag Olave and the Lions got Jameson I didn't love the remaining options.  The fact they drafted an athletic versatile LB when they've ignored that position, even worse than WR, over the years made me happy.  Can never have too much speed on defense.  If they can get a solid WR in round 2 this draft is looking damn good. 

I was driving home from work last night and had the radio on during that 10-11-12 run on WR with the Saints giving up quite a bit to move up for Olave and pretty much accepted at that point that WR would be poor value at 22 and probably even 28.  By the time I checked in a bit later, two more WR were gone to Washington and Tenn, at which point it was just funny to see people on TV talking about the Packers taking a WR in the first round. I don't pretend to be able to judge these college players, but based on everything I read it was a deep WR group but not real strong at the top. I'm very pleased today with Mr. Gute.

Not a big fan of giving up two seconds for a receiver who is not going to have an immediate impact. Reeks of management trying to placate our favorite diva, Aaron Rodgers.

The window is almost completely shut, need to use 1st and second round picks for significant contributors. They did very well with their firsts but I just can’t see Watson stepping in for significant snaps.  

I love the Watson pick.  All around weapon.  I believe he was part of that top WR/1st round talent tier so have no problems trading up.  Nice job, Gute. :thumbup:   

Would still rather have Davante Adams but saw this on twitter. Breakdown of what it allowed the Packers to do in terms of salary cap and draft capitol

Quay Walker $2.8M

Devonte Wyatt $2.6M

Christian Watson $1.7M

Sean Rhyan $0.9M

Rasul Douglas $3.3M

De'Vondre Campbell $4.2M

Sammy Watkins $1.8M

Jarann Reed $1.7 M

TOTAL $19M

Davante Adams makes $28M per year.

Would still rather have Davante Adams but saw this on twitter. Breakdown of what it allowed the Packers to do in terms of salary cap and draft capitol

Quay Walker $2.8M

Devonte Wyatt $2.6M

Christian Watson $1.7M

Sean Rhyan $0.9M

Rasul Douglas $3.3M

De'Vondre Campbell $4.2M

Sammy Watkins $1.8M

Jarann Reed $1.7 M

TOTAL $19M

Davante Adams makes $28M per year.

Yeah...agree here.  Love Davante and you figure out a way to make some other things work.  I think only one of Douglas or Campbell would have been resigned (if that) had they been able to keep him.  And would still be working their way around some things.

I suspect we see another WR brought in and a veteran on the OL.

Big fan of every offensive linemen the Packers selected and wouldn’t be surprised at all if one starts week 1.

Still don’t understand what they are doing at receiver but happy with the draft overall.

Wish they didn’t give up two seconds to trade up for Watson. 

Really hoping they have something in mind for the receiving group. Cutting Randall Cobb would be a great start.

Yeah...agree here.  Love Davante and you figure out a way to make some other things work.  I think only one of Douglas or Campbell would have been resigned (if that) had they been able to keep him.  And would still be working their way around some things.

I suspect we see another WR brought in and a veteran on the OL.
If I recall correctly after either today or tomorrow (not sure when the deadline is exactly) teams can sign veteran free agents and they do not count against the compensatory picks. I imagine we'll see more movement then regarding bringing in another WR or veteran OL.

Big fan of every offensive linemen the Packers selected and wouldn’t be surprised at all if one starts week 1.

Still don’t understand what they are doing at receiver but happy with the draft overall.

Wish they didn’t give up two seconds to trade up for Watson. 

Really hoping they have something in mind for the receiving group. Cutting Randall Cobb would be a great start.
I think you are seeing what they have in mind for the receiving group.

Watkins, Lazard, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Rodgers are the most likely six that stick.

Maybe a veteran free agent is brought in to make 7. Taylor, Blair, Winfree, Toure will have a difficult time making it.

Not sure I agree with your assessment of Cobb. They have always had a veteran WR to pass along the baton. From Freeman to Driver to Jennings to Nelson to Adams. They cut Cobb and that cuts that line. You no longer have that veteran Packer WR in the room.

I think you are seeing what they have in mind for the receiving group.

Watkins, Lazard, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Rodgers are the most likely six that stick.

Maybe a veteran free agent is brought in to make 7. Taylor, Blair, Winfree, Toure will have a difficult time making it.

Not sure I agree with your assessment of Cobb. They have always had a veteran WR to pass along the baton. From Freeman to Driver to Jennings to Nelson to Adams. They cut Cobb and that cuts that line. You no longer have that veteran Packer WR in the room.
These are my thoughts on the receiving group post draft:

Last year the only receiver who consistently could get open was Adams. I completely understand why he was traded and I think a first and second was very fair. What I didn’t expect was Green Bay to only add Sammy Watkins to the group. 

Sammy Watkins: complementary piece who can’t stay healthy and has had over 650 yards receiving twice in his career. He is not a number one receiver.

Alan Lazard: I root for Lazard because he worked hard to get where he is. But like Watkins he is not a number one. He is a good third down option because he is such a big target. Best in the slot.

Randall Cobb: Stick a fork in him. Slower than molasses now, and doesn’t play specials. Waste of a roster spot on a group that needs playmakers.

Amari Rodgers: He was really really bad last season. You hope the light turns on but if he continues to struggle as a receiver and returner the Packers shouldn’t hesitate to cut him. (See comments on Romeo Doubs)

Christian Watkins: His size/speed numbers are off the charts but he is raw. Doesn’t run entire route tree and had a pretty bad drop percentage. I can’t see him having a huge impact next year.

Romeo Doubs: I can actually see him being active more than Watkins next year and I see this pick as a sign the Packers realize Amari Rodgers isn’t going to work out. Doubs is a great punt returner and can fly.

So where do they go from here? If they honestly assess this group they need to say bye to Cobb and possibly Rodgers. They need an experienced fast twitch player in the slot and Cole Beasley is still out there. They also need a deep threat and Will Fuller is available. 

Balco said:
These are my thoughts on the receiving group post draft:

Last year the only receiver who consistently could get open was Adams. I completely understand why he was traded and I think a first and second was very fair. What I didn’t expect was Green Bay to only add Sammy Watkins to the group. 

Sammy Watkins: complementary piece who can’t stay healthy and has had over 650 yards receiving twice in his career. He is not a number one receiver.

Alan Lazard: I root for Lazard because he worked hard to get where he is. But like Watkins he is not a number one. He is a good third down option because he is such a big target. Best in the slot.

Randall Cobb: Stick a fork in him. Slower than molasses now, and doesn’t play specials. Waste of a roster spot on a group that needs playmakers.

Amari Rodgers: He was really really bad last season. You hope the light turns on but if he continues to struggle as a receiver and returner the Packers shouldn’t hesitate to cut him. (See comments on Romeo Doubs)

Christian Watkins: His size/speed numbers are off the charts but he is raw. Doesn’t run entire route tree and had a pretty bad drop percentage. I can’t see him having a huge impact next year.

Romeo Doubs: I can actually see him being active more than Watkins next year and I see this pick as a sign the Packers realize Amari Rodgers isn’t going to work out. Doubs is a great punt returner and can fly.

So where do they go from here? If they honestly assess this group they need to say bye to Cobb and possibly Rodgers. They need an experienced fast twitch player in the slot and Cole Beasley is still out there. They also need a deep threat and Will Fuller is available. 
I'll respectfully disagree on most of your WR assessment

Watkins will be a complementary piece but if he can stay healthy (and it's a big IF) will be a big factor. His contract is also very friendly and can be cut easily if he doesn't pan out.

I think it's a little early to write Rodgers off after 1 season. I don't think we've seen anywhere near enough to label him as really really bad. How many times have GB fans tried to write off players after their 1st season or two? James Jones, Mason Crosby, Davante Adams come to mind. I would agree that he needs to be replaced as a punt returner. That's where Doubs comes in. But I think we see Rodgers in the slot role.

Agreed with Lazard. Best in the slot and invaluable as a WR who can block for the running game.

Cobb may have lost a step or two but he isn't being paid to be a starter. He will offer a veteran presence and does the little things.

Christian Watson will play a role this season. Is he a finished product? No. But he has the ability to develop quickly. He will start out as their deep threat and add on to his route tree. He will also be their kick returner. I think he starts out as a WR2/3 and develops in to their WR1 over time.

Doubs will need to develop just like Watson. Very similar to Watson and will serve as their punt returner.

The Packers said they were going to put an emphasis on special teams this off season and both Watson and Doubs will be your returners.

Your criticism of Sammy Watkins is that he can't stay healthy and then you want them to sign Will Fuller? He's played less games than Watkins. You want them to sign Fuller as a deep threat? That's what both Watson and Doubs are known for. Fuller's route tree is/was somewhat limited as a deep threat as well. Sounds familiar to Watson, doesn't it? Fuller would offer nothing here but redundancy. I could see Cole Beasely being help in the slot.

This offense is going to transition to a run based offense. You have an aging QB and 2 very dynamic RBs. Both Watson and Doubs are very good blockers along with Lazard. That's also why they brought back Mercedes Lewis. And no one is going to replace Adams at WR. Aaron Rodgers stats are actually better without Adams (albeit a small sample size) as he is forced to spread the ball around more. I dont think we see any single receiver step up and be a true number 1 here. But I think the sum will be better than the parts.

Quite possibly…Aaron Jones.  (At least by number of receptions)
It’s kind of an interesting situation. The rookies are raw and Rodgers doesn’t generally have patience for rookies. Forgive me if that’s just outside narrative but that’s always what I’ve heard. The veterans have their issues but Rodgers is going make one or two of them fantasy relevant. Lazard seems like the type that Rodgers makes his guy but he just doesn’t have the talent of Adams, Nelson, Driver, et. al.

It’s kind of an interesting situation. The rookies are raw and Rodgers doesn’t generally have patience for rookies. Forgive me if that’s just outside narrative but that’s always what I’ve heard. The veterans have their issues but Rodgers is going make one or two of them fantasy relevant. Lazard seems like the type that Rodgers makes his guy but he just doesn’t have the talent of Adams, Nelson, Driver, et. al.
I think if you are going to bet on anyone, Lazard would be the player. 

Not a good receiving situation at all.

I have a feeling Green Bay is going to make a push for Deebo still. There is no way they can go in to this season with this receiving corps and feel good about it.

Users who are viewing this thread