What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (1 Viewer)

Hate losing Rasul…sure they turned it around for a 3rd round pick (though, Gute has sucked in the 3rd round)
This team is void of veteran leadership and by many accounts he was a vocal leader in the locker room. He wasn’t too costly…id have fired Barry midseason rather than this…

Hate losing Rasul…sure they turned it around for a 3rd round pick (though, Gute has sucked in the 3rd round)
This team is void of veteran leadership and by many accounts he was a vocal leader in the locker room. He wasn’t too costly…id have fired Barry midseason rather than this…
He is a loss without question but I like getting a 3rd for him. Really hope they can continue the free fall for a chance to draft Maye.

This doesn’t have to be a long rebuild - there is talent. Obviously the huge issue is QB. Love isn’t the answer.

Somehow…this team is ahead of where I thought in this rebuild.
The WRs and Love have improved as the year goes on (as has the Oline). Allowing Lafleur to open up the play book a bit.

Jordan Love…kid can play some football. Calm, collected, he appears to be seeing/reading defenses quite well and making the proper plays.
While the timing of his drafting is still suspect as far as what “could have been”…this much later, would we look back at that draft pick in a great way had they taken someone like Patrick Queen there (which seemed to be what many wanted…myself included)?

Season has become interesting and the team is now fun to watch (where parts of the year were brutal early on…and even not too long ago losing to the Steelers).

All that with a ton of dead cap space shipped off to the Jets or on the bench injured (Jones, Bahktiari, Jaire)

I still don’t like Joe Barry…but somehow the D keeps them in games and even plays pretty well at times. And maybe has played better somehow after trading Rasul Douglas. But can anyone explain the 3 man rush on 3rd and long and still unable to locate and cover the one guy for KC who is the focus…it wasn’t like it was some super athletic play or great route there.

My big concern is getting Daniel Jonesed with Love. Packers need to make a decision in the offseason and I am scared it will be like the Giants and Jones. Both Love and Jones are gamers, tough players who can make things happen. And they are both players that make poor reads and poor throws.

Giants felt they saw enough to back up the brinks truck. Will Packers feel the same?

It’s easy to root for Love, seems like an awesome teammate, has moxie and a short memory. I just don’t know if he is worth the risk of monster contract. Still time to put everyone’s mind at ease though.

Wide receiver group really impressive.

Watson finally looking comfortable (and of course getting hurt), Reed’s scheme versatility, Wicks looking good, Heath too. And Doubs is Mr. Reliable. Nice to see Kraft getting receiving looks with Musgrave out too.

My opinion on Love this season:

Legit QB
Back up QB
Legit QB
Back up QB
Hall of Fame QB

Can't remember going so back and forth on a player eval.

My big concern is getting Daniel Jonesed with Love. Packers need to make a decision in the offseason and I am scared it will be like the Giants and Jones. Both Love and Jones are gamers, tough players who can make things happen. And they are both players that make poor reads and poor throws.

Giants felt they saw enough to back up the brinks truck. Will Packers feel the same?

It’s easy to root for Love, seems like an awesome teammate, has moxie and a short memory. I just don’t know if he is worth the risk of monster contract. Still time to put everyone’s mind at ease though.
He’s still under contract next year

He’s still under contract next year
He is? I think I read sportrac wrong then. That’s actually good. That gives another year of analysis.

Before I wanted him gone after the season, not even as a backup. But these last 3 games he has shown enough improvement to warrant another year.

They aren't going to wait until after next year. As soon as they can this offseason, they will sign him to an extension IMO (April or May because of how when they did a restructure last year). Of course there is the risk of a Daniel Jones situation. The other risk is he continues to play like this or better and costs you another 10 million per year.

They handled the extension this past summer very smartly. Kept Love thru 2024, basically gave him the same amount of money, and the money was spread out in a better way than if they had done the year 5 option.

And yes, I’d expect another extension this offseason, assuming this year ends with the current momentum.

They aren't going to wait until after next year. As soon as they can this offseason, they will sign him to an extension IMO (April or May because of how when they did a restructure last year). Of course there is the risk of a Daniel Jones situation. The other risk is he continues to play like this or better and costs you another 10 million per year.
Can they franchise him?

Legit QB
Back up QB
Legit QB
Back up QB
Hall of Fame QB

That’s exactly where I am. He makes some awesome throws in tight spaces then airmails passes. Makes a good read then misses wide open receivers. Does he put it all together? If he plays like he has the last 3 games it works fine.

I just feel like every time I have hope he has figured it out he regresses.

Can they franchise him?

They would never franchise him in this situation imo. They have to make a call. If he continues to play well he will get a monster deal for sure. I’ve seen reports that they can’t do an extension for Love until May due to the timing of his extension earlier this year, which gives them some time to decide. Heres one guy‘s speculation:

4 New Years
$194M New Money
$48.5M APY
$57.5M Signing Bonus

Can they franchise him?
Sure. Still better to lock him up this offseason. He isn’t going to get cheaper

Legit QB
Back up QB
Legit QB
Back up QB
Hall of Fame QB

That’s exactly where I am. He makes some awesome throws in tight spaces then airmails passes. Makes a good read then misses wide open receivers. Does he put it all together? If he plays like he has the last 3 games it works fine.

I just feel like every time I have hope he has figured it out he regresses.
I believe those air-mailed passes you are referring to were earlier in the year and I think a large percentage of those may have been because the WRs were young and inexperienced and running either wrong routes or running them incorrectly. I think the last 3 games have shown improvement from not only Love but also with the WRs

Anybody else surprised that Jaire still isn’t playing? Seems fishy, like more might be going on. At this point, gotta wonder if Jaire will even be back in GB next year.

Anybody else surprised that Jaire still isn’t playing? Seems fishy, like more might be going on. At this point, gotta wonder if Jaire will even be back in GB next year.
With Campbell’s tweet today…I think they have a mess with some of the veterans of that D.
I think its possible he is done…which is a shame after they traded away Douglas.

With Campbell’s tweet today…I think they have a mess with some of the veterans of that D.
I think its possible he is done…which is a shame after they traded away Douglas.
I don't think so. I think if Barry is gone the fences can be mended with Jaire and Campbell

I don't think so. I think if Barry is gone the fences can be mended with Jaire and Campbell
We’ll see. It might not be that simple. Hopefully.

But of course, that requires LaFleur to fire Barry.

So Jaire finally played……and elected himself captain. Then he almost botched the coin toss. Just bizarre.

Just the crap that IMO comes down to lack of accountability. But what accountability will there be? He is one of the few players who have shown elite play (clearly not this year between injuries and other).

And I like LaFleur...but he has let this crap go with Jaire all year, no accountability for Barry IMO has also led to some of this. And for some reason, the side of the ball who should have the most veteran leadership is the side where this crap is happening (Campbell's stuff too).
The youth on offense seems to deal with things better.

But Barry still having a job and LaFleur going out of his way to complain the the offense could have done better. Ridiculous. He is getting close to losing this team. My fear is he has in a way and will be hard to get it back. And if he has to go too (LaFleur that is)...how does that affect what the offense is building with Love and the young WRs and TEs?

Jaire suspended for one game. Can't disagree with this, he needs to keep his head down and focus on playing better.

Pleasantly surprised they held him accountable.

Not sure he plays another down for GB unfortunately. He may react negatively to this and cause more issues

Why they won’t hold Barry accountable is beyond me.
They will hold him accountable. He'll be gone after the season. If they fired him mid season who would you have move up to DC?

Jaire suspended for one game. Can't disagree with this, he needs to keep his head down and focus on playing better.

Not sure he plays another down for GB unfortunately. He may react negatively to this and cause more issues

They will hold him accountable. He'll be gone after the season. If they fired him mid season who would you have move up to DC?
Anyone…would it matter? He sucks at his job.

Exactly. Anyone could have stepped in and steered the D to give up career days against Bryce Young and Tommy Cutlet……

That simple huh?

I suppose they could've named Jaire DC.

That simple huh?

I suppose they could've named Jaire DC.
Simple job? No…but really, do you think any coach on this staff would somehow be worse than Joe Barry? Plus, the issues this may be causing in the locker room?

My gut feeling is that anyone expecting a significant improvement on defense coming with a new DC could be in for a rude awakening. The three highest paid players on the team in terms of cash paid this season are Rashan Gary, Kenny Clark and Jaire. Campbell, Savage, Preston Smith and LVN are also in the top ten. None of us are in the lockerroom, but it seems to me there's no leadership in that group. I think Gutekunst has a culture problem on that side of the ball, which I why I fully support this suspension.

My gut feeling is that anyone expecting a significant improvement on defense coming with a new DC could be in for a rude awakening. The three highest paid players on the team in terms of cash paid this season are Rashan Gary, Kenny Clark and Jaire. Campbell, Savage, Preston Smith and LVN are also in the top ten. None of us are in the lockerroom, but it seems to me there's no leadership in that group. I think Gutekunst has a culture problem on that side of the ball, which I why I fully support this suspension.
I agree there is a void there and several of the D will not be back.
Changing DC is only a starting point really.

No doubt, very well said. The culture side seems to be a combo of a) DC that nobody respects, b) lack of leaders in the locker room, c) Jaire - enough said.

[jimmora] Playoffs?!!!! playoffs?!!![\jimmora]

Team is fun to watch (at least offensively…but tip of the cap to Barry’s scheme today and the Dline balled out).

I love Aaron Jones…just so fun to watch and seems, by all accounts, a great guy.

Bo freaking Melton coming out of nowhere. Reed and Wicks and Kraft…and get Watson healthy and this group of pass catchers can be really really good.

And then Jordan Love…wow…can they really have done it again? He made such great throws down the stretch and is just calm and collected no matter what.

Either midway through or right after the 1st season…I have purchased a Favre and then Rodgers jersey. Seems like I need to keep the streak alive and get a Jordan Love jersey now.

LaFleur can flat out coach. Not perfect. But he can just coach.

Shout out to the QB whisperer Tom Clements too.

Last edited:
LaFleur has the youngest team in the league…nobody voted to the pro bowl…and a team in the playoffs and is barely mentioned as a coach of the year?
Traded a HOF QB, all pro LT been out after week 1. And on and on and on things that can be said about this team. He is a really good coach.

Packers making the playoffs was pretty unexpected after that mid season crap fest.

Dallas was probably the worst draw for the Joe Barry defense. I can't see them holding the boys under 30 and I don't think the Pack can score anywhere near enough to keep pace. No worries though, feels like playing with house money and the future looks pretty good again. Love looks like a pro bowl caliber QB in his first year as starter. What's not to like?

Congrats on the playoffs and Love playing well for a young QB. Cowboys fan coming in peace…

I wanted to understand a couple things as I haven’t watched ANY Packers games this year.

How is your O line in pass protection and tell me about your secondary? Happy to answer any Cowboys questions.

Congrats on the playoffs and Love playing well for a young QB. Cowboys fan coming in peace…

I wanted to understand a couple things as I haven’t watched ANY Packers games this year.

How is your O line in pass protection and tell me about your secondary? Happy to answer any Cowboys questions.

Oline has played well. Watching this week as RT Zach Tom was in and out today with finger injuries. He has been very good but dealing with Parsons and Dallas’ Dline is a different beast.

Secondary. Young…alot of undrafted/untested and Jaire who can be very good buts has been inconsistent ans hurt much of the year. GBs D has basically been playing soft shell coverage keeping everything in front and hoping Gary and Preston Smith and Kenny Clark can force pressure. Today…the Dline played really well.

Giving up only 30 would be a “win” in Dallas. Offense has been playing well and hope to keep that going and make it a game.

Dallas wins this game 9/10 times. Going to take something special for the Packers to pull this off, but I agree that it feels like playing with house money.

I'll tell you who's in the hot seat. McCarthy. If the Packers beat Dallas, I bet McCarthy is fired. I think Jerry fires him if he loses in the first round of the playoffs regardless of who they're playing, but for it to be the Packers that do it...what a storyline that'd be.

For the record, I'm not a McCarthy fan at all. He's a coattail rider. And I always root against Dallas.

Packers making the playoffs was pretty unexpected after that mid season crap fest.

Dallas was probably the worst draw for the Joe Barry defense. I can't see them holding the boys under 30 and I don't think the Pack can score anywhere near enough to keep pace. No worries though, feels like playing with house money and the future looks pretty good again. Love looks like a pro bowl caliber QB in his first year as starter. What's not to like?
House money indeed. But the playoff experience alone for a young team is invaluable

Dallas wins this game 9/10 times. Going to take something special for the Packers to pull this off, but I agree that it feels like playing with house money.

I'll tell you who's in the hot seat. McCarthy. If the Packers beat Dallas, I bet McCarthy is fired. I think Jerry fires him if he loses in the first round of the playoffs regardless of who they're playing, but for it to be the Packers that do it...what a storyline that'd be.

For the record, I'm not a McCarthy fan at all. He's a coattail rider. And I always root against Dallas.
I get a Packer fan’s disdain for MM, as he makes us scratch our heads at times also, just as most coaches do for each teams fans. But he’s definitely not a coattail rider this season. Proof is how he shipped off the “Boy Genius” Kellen Moore to the Chargers and took over all play calling duties. MM has completely turned Dak, the offense, and the game planning around in a positive direction, while Kellen Moore had tanked the Chargers and Hebert- who I feel is one of the best young QB’s in the league. We can’t blame MM for past decisions and then not give credit for the outstanding job he has done this year. Him figuring out a way to talk Dan Quinn in to staying in the office with him as DC and turning down HC offers is a great accomplishment in itself.

The more I think about Jordan Love as QB…..what I most appreciate is that he actually runs the LaFleur offense. How many times in the past 6-7 weeks has he found receivers wide open?! The past few years it’s seemed like Rodgers always had to force balls into tight windows, or scramble around hoping for a home run ball. It’s fun to watch this offense operate the way it was supposed to work all along.

Users who are viewing this thread