What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Andre Johnson, Titans (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson (concussion) has yet to be cleared, and coach Bill O'Brien expects him to be a game-time decision against the Texans.

Calling players "game-time decisions" has fast become one of the unnecessarily evasive O'Brien's favorite pastimes. It's, of course, utter hogwash in this instance, as the Texans will know before Sunday morning whether Johnson has been cleared. Hopefully the information leaks some time in the next 48 hours. The early signs suggest Johnson won't play, but he appears roughly 50-50.

Source: Drew Dougherty on Twitter

Dec 11 - 4:02 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Bill O'Brien said it "looks like" Andre Johnson will return for Sunday's game against the Ravens.

Johnson was inactive in Week 15, leaving DeVier Posey to start and DeAndre Hopkins to set a season-high with 13 targets. Johnson's return muddles the target totem pole, as does injuries to both Ryan Fitzpatrick (leg) and Tom Savage (knee). We wouldn't want to start anyone in this pass game with Case Keenum or Thad Lewis under center.

Source: houstontexans.com

Dec 16 - 8:25 AM

Outlook for him next year?
Local radio thinks he'll be gone. But until we know if that's true or where he goes, his outlook is totally up in the air. I think he's definitely got potential to put up a bounce back year like Reggie Wayne did after the Colts' 2-14 season. It will all boil down to health, targets, and QB.

Outlook for him next year?
Local radio thinks he'll be gone. But until we know if that's true or where he goes, his outlook is totally up in the air. I think he's definitely got potential to put up a bounce back year like Reggie Wayne did after the Colts' 2-14 season. It will all boil down to health, targets, and QB.
It's fairly rare for a guy to have a dramatically "off" year at 33 and bounce, but Andre's 32 year old season was so dominant and he's so big and strong that I wouldn't bet against him. He's a hold IMO.

Unless he stays in Houston.

i thought he was going to have a bounce back year this year and picked him pretty high. I've thrown in the towel.

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson has passed the concussion protocol.

Johnson ends up missing one game due to his brain injury. He returns in a plus matchup against the Ravens' brutal corners, but will have to deal with Case Keenum at quarterback. Both Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins are risky WR3 types.

Source: Brian Smith on Twitter
Dec 18 - 12:26 PM

His problem is (and has mostly been) his supporting cast and role. If he walks to a nice location, he has the body type and skill (still) to be a WR1/2 guy that will be in your lineup every week.

On the right team, he'll be like Hines Ward at the end. You don't think about it but seems like every week you'll look up and he has 7-8/65-125 and maybe a TD.

His problem is (and has mostly been) his supporting cast and role. If he walks to a nice location, he has the body type and skill (still) to be a WR1/2 guy that will be in your lineup every week.

On the right team, he'll be like Hines Ward at the end. You don't think about it but seems like every week you'll look up and he has 7-8/65-125 and maybe a TD.
This is what I'm hoping for. He's just stuck in a terrible QB situation and I'm not sure how likely he is to be released or traded.

I think AJ gets a TD and is a good play this week with Keenum as the starting QB and Hopkins doubtful. Keenum tends to lock on one WR and the Ravens are also one of the worst teams vs the pass

In 2013 Johnson averaged 100 yards and scored all five of his touchdowns in '13 in the eight games in which Keenum was Houston's QB

I think AJ gets a TD and is a good play this week with Keenum as the starting QB and Hopkins doubtful. Keenum tends to lock on one WR and the Ravens are also one of the worst teams vs the pass

In 2013 Johnson averaged 100 yards and scored all five of his touchdowns in '13 in the eight games in which Keenum was Houston's QB
Whoa, I went back and looked at those games. That was a nice run there for AJ.

ETA: Here are those games:

4/89

9/229/3

5/37/2

10/116

2/36

8/121

13/154

4/18

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld take:

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports the Texans have given Andre Johnson permission to seek a trade, and if one can't be found, he'll be released.

The Texans informed Johnson that he'll have a reduced role in 2015, and the soon-to-be 34-year-old has asked to be cut or traded. Houston will grant him his wish. We highly doubt any team will trade for Johnson, considering he's scheduled to earn base salaries of $10.5 million and $11 million the final two years of his contract. The Texans will clear $8.825 million against the cap by shedding Johnson's contract. The move will lock DeAndre Hopkins into the clear-cut No. 1 receiver role after he took another leap forward as a sophomore in 2014.

Source: John McClain on Twitter
Mar 2 - 8:27 PM

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson - WR - Texans

Andre Johnson says he "laughed at" Bill O'Brien after the Texans' coach recently informed him he would only catch around 40 balls if Johnson returned to the team in 2015.

"They gave me my role, and I just laughed at them," Johnson said. "How do you tell a guy who is used to catching 80 balls a year that he was going to catch 40?" O'Brien also told Johnson he "wasn't even likely to be a starter" in 2015. "So I was real honest with him: 'If that's your role for me, you're going to be dealing with a miserable football player,'" Johnson told O'Brien. Johnson is expected to be cut or traded in the next few days.

Source: Houston Chronicle

Mar 3 - 1:49 PM

Rotoworld:

PFT's Mike Florio reports Andre Johnson has asked for his release from the Texans.

Johnson and his agent have no plans to do the Texans any favors and seek a trade. The 34-year-old (in July) will instead wait for his release, head to the open market, and pick his own team. No team was going to trade for Johnson and his $21.5 million in salary over the final two years of his contract anyway. Expect Johnson to target a contender in an attempt to reach the Super Bowl.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
Mar 4 - 10:46 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley considers Baltimore a potential landing spot for Andre Johnson.

Hensley notes GM Ozzie Newsome's history of success with "old" wide receivers -- Derrick Mason, Anquan Boldin, and Steve Smith Sr. -- as well as the need if free agent Torrey Smith walks. The Ravens are an annual playoff team, which will appeal to Johnson as his career winds down. Baltimore is currently strapped for cap space, but could make cuts and restructure deals to create room. Hensley sees Johnson as an "ideal fit" in new OC Marc Trestman's offense.

Related: Ravens

Source: ESPN.com
Mar 4 - 11:17 AM

Rotoworld:

According to the Baltimore Sun, Andre Johnson "would be regarded as a potential fit" with the Ravens once the Texans move on.
Although nothing substantive has taken place yet, multiple Ravens beat writers believe Johnson landing in Baltimore is a distinct possibility. Johnson is tentatively expected to be cut early this week. After his production dipped severely opposite DeAndre Hopkins last season, Johnson could have a shot at a late-career revival in Marc Trestman's wideout-friendly scheme.

Related: Ravens

Source: Baltimore Sun
Mar 8 - 7:58 PM

Anywhere but Baltimore. Is that wrong to think? Is he q boldin in baltimoreor just another guy that gets 52/780/4 there?

FF Ninja said:
Faust said:
I agree with him. Who in the hell did they think warranted an expanded role at his expense?!
I don't think billy o'b really routes his offense through the outside receivers, andre has apparently become the #2, and he was making too much ####### money.

also, you don't come off real well when you sit down with the coach and :eek: over your target numbers

ps

Free agent Andre Johnson's brother has tweeted he'd be interested in signing with the Seahawks, Colts, Patriots or Packers.
I'm assuming the brother is talking about andre and not himself

Last edited by a moderator:
Slapdash said:
FF Ninja said:
Faust said:
I agree with him. Who in the hell did they think warranted an expanded role at his expense?!
Hopkins could use more targets, but not much else there.
Could he? I think Hopkins did really well in a secondary role, but I suspect he'll struggle in a primary role even if he gets 20% more targets. A lot of his big plays last year were plays where the defender just lost him or made a bad play. That won't happen when the defense isn't focusing on AJ. The only hope for Hopkins is that Mallett turns out to be the real deal.

Could he? I think Hopkins did really well in a secondary role, but I suspect he'll struggle in a primary role even if he gets 20% more targets. A lot of his big plays last year were plays where the defender just lost him or made a bad play. That won't happen when the defense isn't focusing on AJ. The only hope for Hopkins is that Mallett turns out to be the real deal.
:goodposting:

I like Hopkins OK, but he's being priced as a dominant #1 and I'd be very surprised if he lives up to that once he's actually expected to be a #1 and the other team makes him the primary cover priority.

I have no clue where he will eventually land but if on team has an offer clearly superior to all other offers I think its reasonable that he'd go to any team that has the best offer.

Having said that its fun to think about him partnering-up with Andrew Luck especially since they just cut Reggie Wayne but at the same time I know that doesn't make a lot of sense because they just cut an older WR in Reggie Wayne who knows that system and had a report with Luck in a cost cutting move so why bring in a higher priced aging veteran WR?

I think you can make arguments all over the board in any direction but if he's got one offer that is clearly superior to all others I think he'd go with the best offer but the catch is, will he get an offer like that or will he have similar offers? If they all are equal then he'd go with the best situation but right now we don't know what his market is and if someone is lurking with a great offer.

I have no clue where he will eventually land but if on team has an offer clearly superior to all other offers I think its reasonable that he'd go to any team that has the best offer.

Having said that its fun to think about him partnering-up with Andrew Luck especially since they just cut Reggie Wayne but at the same time I know that doesn't make a lot of sense because they just cut an older WR in Reggie Wayne who knows that system and had a report with Luck in a cost cutting move so why bring in a higher priced aging veteran WR?

I think you can make arguments all over the board in any direction but if he's got one offer that is clearly superior to all others I think he'd go with the best offer but the catch is, will he get an offer like that or will he have similar offers? If they all are equal then he'd go with the best situation but right now we don't know what his market is and if someone is lurking with a great offer.
I think you meant "rapport". But the difference is that Wayne had obviously slowed down quite a bit. Andre still looks good.

And I disagree with your initial point. I think AJ will absolutely go to a contender. He might go to the contender with the biggest bid, but he won't be going to a bad team just to make an extra $2 million per year. He's made his money. Now he wants a championship. If someone gives him an opportunity to be the #1 on a championship team, he'd probably take veterans' minimum.

I think you meant "rapport". But the difference is that Wayne had obviously slowed down quite a bit. Andre still looks good.

And I disagree with your initial point. I think AJ will absolutely go to a contender. He might go to the contender with the biggest bid, but he won't be going to a bad team just to make an extra $2 million per year. He's made his money. Now he wants a championship. If someone gives him an opportunity to be the #1 on a championship team, he'd probably take veterans' minimum.
Spellcheck. So yes I did mean rapport but the wide held assumption that all any player cares about who was with a losing team is the chance to compete is overblown since it gets thrown at every-single-player coming from that sort of a situation.

Andre was asked to take less money and have his role diminished and he balked. The Texans tried to work out a deal and couldn't find a buyer so they released him so the assumption is money means nothing to him when it was one of the primary reasons he was unhappy with the Texans so I think money is important to whatever decision he makes.

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson - WR - Free Agent

A source close to Andre Johnson told SportsTalk790's Lance Zierlein that Johnson is on his way to the Colts.

Zierlein tweeted the following Tuesday morning: "Dre on owners private jet headed to Indy. He called Gore & they agreed both to Indy. Philly wanted both." So now it appears the Eagles didn't only lose out on Frank Gore at the alter, but they also lost a suitable veteran replacement for Jeremy Maclin. Meanwhile, Johnson would be a great fit with Andrew Luck as a sure-handed replacement for Reggie Wayne.

Related: Colts, Eagles

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter

Mar 10 - 11:27 AM

Spellcheck. So yes I did mean rapport but the wide held assumption that all any player cares about who was with a losing team is the chance to compete is overblown since it gets thrown at every-single-player coming from that sort of a situation.

Andre was asked to take less money and have his role diminished and he balked. The Texans tried to work out a deal and couldn't find a buyer so they released him so the assumption is money means nothing to him when it was one of the primary reasons he was unhappy with the Texans so I think money is important to whatever decision he makes.
You misspelled rapport and it autocorrected to report? Anyway... So you are basing your opinion on what? That you hear this a lot? I don't doubt that, but that isn't conclusive at all. Have you followed him closely his entire career? Doesn't sound like it. You haven't even followed this situation closely. Andre left because they wanted to diminish his role. He didn't want to only catch 40 passes this year. He not only wants to play for a contender but also play a prominent role.

Users who are viewing this thread