What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Andre Johnson, Titans (2 Viewers)

I just don't see it. Obviously the interest is there, and he's willing to restructure his contract (but not lose any money). I just can't see why the Texans would eat the dead cap money which is a ridiculous amount.

I'm in Houston and I agree with Shutout. He's been on some horrendous teams and taken it as a true professional. He deserves better. Then again, he did just freely sign the extension so it is on him.
I put this on the owners...during the CBA negotiations, why would the owners agree to (and honestly, I don't see why the players would care about dead cap monies) a plan that penalizes them from getting rid of malcontents or players who they need to move? I get it from the "out right cut" perspective, but no clue why they penalize themselves from trading players with one another.
I ####### hate you people so much

Rotoworld:

After speaking to four NFL executives regarding potential trade compensation for Andre Johnson, the Sideline View's Lance Zierlein received answers ranging from a second- to fifth-round pick.

Although the Houston Chronicle's John McClain has been adamant the Texans will not trade Johnson, it's worth remembering McClain was adamant for most of the pre-draft process that the Texans would not select Jadeveon Clowney at No. 1 overall. (They did.) We suspect GM Rick Smith would seriously consider dealing Johnson if a win-now team offered a 2015 second-round pick. If the offer were a fourth- or fifth-rounder, the Texans should comfortably pass.

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter

Jul 11 - 1:51 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
I just don't see it. Obviously the interest is there, and he's willing to restructure his contract (but not lose any money). I just can't see why the Texans would eat the dead cap money which is a ridiculous amount.

I'm in Houston and I agree with Shutout. He's been on some horrendous teams and taken it as a true professional. He deserves better. Then again, he did just freely sign the extension so it is on him.
I put this on the owners...during the CBA negotiations, why would the owners agree to (and honestly, I don't see why the players would care about dead cap monies) a plan that penalizes them from getting rid of malcontents or players who they need to move? I get it from the "out right cut" perspective, but no clue why they penalize themselves from trading players with one another.
That seems like a lot of excess anger. Are you OK?

Kool-Aid Larry said:

Already asked you to tone it down. Take some time off and get over whatever has you so upset.

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson - WR - Texans

Andre Johnson is "showing no signs of rust" after missing a chunk of Texans camp with a hamstring injury.

Johnson reportedly showed up "all over the field" during Wednesday's Texans-Broncos joint practice and made one "incredible" catch in the back of the end zone. "He's a big part of what we're doing here," coach Bill O'Brien said. The No. 12 overall fantasy receiver a year ago, Johnson's ADP has dropped into the late fourth round. His QBs were Matt Schaub and Case Keenum in 2013.

Source: CBS Sports

Aug 20 - 8:22 PM

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson (ankle) is practicing in full this week.

Johnson is fully healthy going into Week 3. He had 74 yards on seven targets in Sunday's win over the Raiders.

Sep 17 - 6:22 PM

i've said it on here before and i'll say it again: you never draft andre johnson for TDs. he's a PPR guy who loses a bunch of value if your league doesn't use that.

don't think he's ever had more than 8 TDs in a season. we have to accept this, it's not his role and never has been.

Josh the FunkDOC said:
i've said it on here before and i'll say it again: you never draft andre johnson for TDs. he's a PPR guy who loses a bunch of value if your league doesn't use that.

don't think he's ever had more than 8 TDs in a season. we have to accept this, it's not his role and never has been.
:goodposting:

If you want 6-8 catches and 70-100 yards every week as your floor with the upside of grabbing a TD or a big 12 catch week, then he's your guy. Probably the most reliable WR2 with upside there is, just don't count on the upside more than 1/3 his games.

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson (ankle) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

Johnson has been dealing with his ankle injury the last two weeks, but hasn't missed a game. He isn't in any danger of sitting out Week 4. Johnson will be on the WR1 borderline against the Bills.

Sep 24 - 5:15 PM

:rolleyes:

This is one of those uninformed, ignorant opinions that just burns me up. Catching beyond 33% of your team's touchdowns is a rarity. It tends to only happen when there is a disproportionate number of targets and/or end zone targets (think Cutler/Marshall, Stafford/Calvin). Even then it's not that common. People act like AJ has been on high powered offenses and just failed to produce in the end zone. What is really the case is that he's simply never been on a team that threw 30 touchdowns. He's also had David Carr and Matt Schaub as his QBs. Even when the offense was putting up a lot of yards for 2-3 years with Schaub, Kubiak elected to let AJ draw double coverage and walk it into the end zone with Foster or drop it off to Kevin Walter/Owen Daniels pretty much uncovered. There is no deficiency on AJ's part. He's simply doing the best he can in offenses that don't pass for many touchdowns. Even then, he did catch 8 TDs in 9 games one year.

As a guy who has watched the vast majority of AJ's games, I can't tell you how many times the poor guy was streaking down the field for a long TD only to end up waiting on the ball and getting tackled immediately or worse - having to come back to break up an interception!

This is one of those uninformed, ignorant opinions that just burns me up. Catching beyond 33% of your team's touchdowns is a rarity. It tends to only happen when there is a disproportionate number of targets and/or end zone targets (think Cutler/Marshall, Stafford/Calvin). Even then it's not that common. People act like AJ has been on high powered offenses and just failed to produce in the end zone. What is really the case is that he's simply never been on a team that threw 30 touchdowns. He's also had David Carr and Matt Schaub as his QBs. Even when the offense was putting up a lot of yards for 2-3 years with Schaub, Kubiak elected to let AJ draw double coverage and walk it into the end zone with Foster or drop it off to Kevin Walter/Owen Daniels pretty much uncovered. There is no deficiency on AJ's part. He's simply doing the best he can in offenses that don't pass for many touchdowns. Even then, he did catch 8 TDs in 9 games one year.

As a guy who has watched the vast majority of AJ's games, I can't tell you how many times the poor guy was streaking down the field for a long TD only to end up waiting on the ball and getting tackled immediately or worse - having to come back to break up an interception!
The bolded is so true

The bolded is so true
SO true. Looks like he set up a lemonade stand in the middle of the field out there by himself.

Everyone knows AJ is an elite talent. Had he been a Packer or a Viking, a Patriot or a Colt when he came out, he would have been Julio Jones who turned into Calvin who is now Brandon Marshall.

ANd, in the midst of all that, he STILL had a three year window where he was the #1-#3 WR in fantasy.

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson left Sunday's Week 4 game against the Bills with an ankle injury.

Johnson came up lame on a pass in the fourth quarter and was taken to the locker room. He was able to jog off under his own power, but is likely done for the game. Johnson had six catches for 71 yards before exiting.

Sep 28 - 4:01 PM

Is he droppable at this point? He might not even score a single TD this year.
i drafted him thinking things would be different with Schaub and kubiak gone in terms of targetting him in the end zone. i haven't watched any of the games but i'm guessing nothing's changed.

LargeMouthBass said:
Is he droppable at this point? He might not even score a single TD this year.
huh? he had 6 for 71 today despite getting dinged up and missing a lot of snaps. i mean, mebbe in td only leagues.

Pretty sure I'm going VJax over Andre this week, anyone facing the same decision?
+1

Which means you can probably start AJ with confidence.

Have started him and been disappointed the previous four weeks, so now when I put him on the bench he will undoubtedly go off with 200yds and 1 or 2 TDs. You all are welcome in advance...

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson (ankle) was held out of Friday's practice and is listed as questionable for Week 5 against the Cowboys.

The expectation all week has been that Johnson will play, and there have been no indications otherwise. Johnson has spoken on the topic, calling himself "fine." Keep an eye on the situation into Sunday morning, but we'd have Johnson penciled into fantasy lineups as a WR2. Although he's yet to score a TD this year, Johnson is on pace for 88 catches and over 1,000 yards. The Houston Chronicle's John McClain tweeted Friday that he "expect(s) Johnson to play."

Source: John McClain on Twitter

Oct 3 - 3:13 PM

Rotoworld:

Texans coach Bill O'Brien expects Andre Johnson (questionable, ankle) to play in Week 5 against the Cowboys.

Johnson was held out of practice Friday, but declared himself "fine" earlier in the week. Barring a setback, he should start against Dallas. Johnson is Rotoworld's the No. 22 receiver this week.

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

Oct 4 - 7:02 PM

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson caught 5-of-8 targets for 58 yards in Houston's Week 5 loss to the Cowboys.

Johnson's ankle wasn't an issue, but Ryan Fitzpatrick couldn't find him down the field. Johnson's longest grab went for just 20 yards. Five games into the "FitzMagic" era, Johnson has still yet to find the end zone, and is settling in as a low-end WR2. He should be active for Week 6, but his ankle could be a question mark with the Texans on a short week. Houston hosts the Colts on Thursday.

Oct 5 - 5:16 PM

Excerpt:

Weaknesses: At 33, Johnson isnt in his prime anymore, though he is still very good. He lacks the breakaway speed he once had. (Johnson ran a 4.40 for scouts coming out of college and had a 39-inch vertical and an 11-foot broad jump.) Since the start of the 2011 season, he has scored only 11 touchdowns. In the four previous seasons, he scored a combined 33. Johnson has only four catches over 20 yards this season. He has lost a fumble this year, though he has lost only five in his career.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/09/30/6163960/cowboys-extra-spotlight-on-texans.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy
I am at a loss as to why Andre has never been much of a TD producer, given his rare combination of skills and size. I get that the level of QB talent and play calling are factors here; however, even that run of 33 TDs over 4 seasons is still only an average of 8.25 per season, when he was in his prime.

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson (ankle) sat out Tuesday's practice.

The Texans are just managing Johnson's reps after he escaped Sunday's loss without setbacks. Even if Johnson sits out again on Wednesday, he should be good to go as a WR2 for Thursday night's game against the Colts.

Source: houstontexans.com

Oct 7 - 4:48 PM

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson caught 7-of-12 targets for 99 yards and a touchdown in Houston's Week 6 loss to the Colts, also losing a fumble.

The score was Johnson's first in 77 catches, the longest such drought of his career. He earned it, beating extremely tight coverage from Greg Toler in the end zone. Johnson's fumble was a fourth-quarter backbreaker, however, as he coughed up the ball on his own as he attempted to separate from Vontae Davis. Johnson was also called for offensive pass interference in the final period. Either way, Johnson looked like his vintage self this evening, and has re-established his WR2 bonafides heading into a tasty Week 7 matchup with the Steelers.

Oct 10 - 12:17 AM

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson caught five passes for 77 yards in the Texans' Week 7 loss to the Steelers on Monday night.

Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins each saw a team-high nine targets. There was nothing special about Johnson's night. His biggest play was a 24-yard grab on a deep in route in front of the safeties. Johnson has just one touchdown on the season. He could have had another on Monday if Ryan Fitzpatrick would have hit him in stride on a corner route in the end zone. But Fitzpatrick overshot Johnson, who had a step on the defensive back. Johnson remains a WR2 thanks to volume. He and the Texans travel to Tennessee in Week 8.

Oct 21 - 12:25 AM

Yeah but Fitspatrick is not capable. Andre should have had 2 TD's Monday night and maybe 50 more yards. I know it's not going to happen but would love to see NE trade for him.

It's simply amazing to me how Andre Johnson is one of the most impressive physical specimens in the league at 6'3/230 lbs with 4.4 speed who has put up incredible receiving numbers yet he has NEVER gotten double digit TDs. How is that even possible?

He's had 5 years of over 100 receptions. He has 3 seasons with over 1500 yds (and another over 1400) and yet has had 9 TDs only once in his career and lower every other year. This guy should be a RZ beast but in 12 seasons in the NFL with various coaches, coordinators, QBs, RBs, etc. he's never done it.

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson caught seven passes for 55 yards in the Texans' Week 8 win over the Titans.

Johnson saw a team-high dozen targets. He was followed by Titans top CB Jason McCourty for much of the afternoon, leaving DeAndre Hopkins to work on sophomore Blidi Wreh-Wilson. Johnson continues to gobble up targets, as does Hopkins, making both weekly fantasy starters. Johnson will be a solid high-end WR2 next week against the Eagles. He'd be much higher if he could find the end zone.

Oct 26 - 5:44 PM

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson caught two passes for 12 yards in Sunday's Week 9 loss to the Eagles.

Johnson oddly didn't see his first target until there was roughly six minutes left in the second quarter. He finished with seven targets -- including one overthrown deep ball in which he was open -- but surprisingly struggled for effectiveness against the Eagles' sub-par corner duo. Johnson will be a weak WR2 only when the Texans come out of their bye against the Browns. He has zero 100-yard games and one touchdown through nine weeks.

Nov 2 - 6:01 PM

It's simply amazing to me how Andre Johnson is one of the most impressive physical specimens in the league at 6'3/230 lbs with 4.4 speed who has put up incredible receiving numbers yet he has NEVER gotten double digit TDs. How is that even possible?

He's had 5 years of over 100 receptions. He has 3 seasons with over 1500 yds (and another over 1400) and yet has had 9 TDs only once in his career and lower every other year. This guy should be a RZ beast but in 12 seasons in the NFL with various coaches, coordinators, QBs, RBs, etc. he's never done it.
Well, during the Kubiak years, Kubiak's balls would shrivel up inside the 20 and he would either run it for a TD or kick a FG. Throwing to the best player on the team was not at the top of his list. He even preferred a 1 yard fake handoff throw to the 3rd string TE over a toss to Andre. He was great at letting off the gas with a lead and watching the other team put up TD's vs his FGs and then he would do his stupid post game speech about missed opportunities. The current coaching staff found Kubiak's playbook in the ladies bathroom when they arrived.

Just scooped him off waivers. His value can only go up with Mallet coming in, right? Not sure what kind of chemistry they have but Andre seems pretty happy about the switch. What kind of uptick can we expect? Usually young QB's lock onto one particular receiver....

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson suffered a potential concussion in the second quarter of Sunday's game against the Jaguars.
Johnson was taken to the locker room after a big hit from Jaguars LB Telvin Smith, which drew an unnecessary roughness flag. He is officially being "evaluated for a concussion," and we'd be very surprised if Johnson returned to the game. He had four catches for 17 yards on five targets before exiting.

Dec 7 - 1:53 PM

Users who are viewing this thread