What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: Sammie Coates Pittsburgh Steelers (1 Viewer)

Sammie Coates has been a "regular" with the first-team offense so far at Steelers training camp.
In addition to impressing the coaching staff, Coates is reportedly showing more confidence after admitting to reporting in "(not) good enough NFL-caliber shape" last season, which can be typical for rookies. Coates appears to have already established himself as a staple in Pittsburgh's three-receiver sets. He could make a move on Markus Wheaton's job in two-wide sets with continued excellence on the practice field and in preseason games.

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review 
Aug 3 - 8:29 PM

steelers1080 said:
That would be ideal. Imagine next year if Brown, Bell, Coates, Green, and Bryant were all on the field at the same time.  If only it was this year...
I feel bad for Steelers fans, but it seems like the story of this offense might be, "wait until next year..."

I feel bad for Steelers fans, but it seems like the story of this offense might be, "wait until next year..."
This sucks because I think most steeler fans thought "wait until next year" after the playoff lose at DEN last season... meaning this upcoming season.  They played DEN pretty well without AB, Bell, and DWill- this was supposed to be the year :kicksrock:

Coates has the speed to take passes to the house like Bryant does.
Coates certainly has the speed to run the deep jump-ball type routes like Bryant did at the end of his rookie season.  So he should be used in that capacity at the very least.  I think he'll be used in more ways than just that,  but probably won't approach Bryant's level of success from last year.

I've always thought it was Big Ben making these receivers and not the other way around.

Coates has the speed to take passes to the house like Bryant does.
I think Ben-Brown have a certain level of Manning-Harrison connection where Harrison might not have been as successful with just an average QB. However, that doesn't mean just any WR could have stepped in and done what Harrison did. There weren't many WRs in the league last year that could do what Bryant did with the ball in his hands. I am not ready to say Coates can just duplicate it. I love Coates and want to draft him, but I can't be as optimistic as you.

Where would you slide him into this year's rookie draft class?  Full disclosure...he is a free agent in my dynasty league, and I pick at 1.9.  Feel like I would rather have him than guys like Devonte Booker, Kenneth Dixon, or Tyler Boyd.  But maybe not before guys like Derick Henry, Michael Thomas or Sterling Shepard.  For me, that places him right around 8, which means him falling to 9 seems very possible.  Concern is that when/if Martavis returns, he loses a lot of snaps and value.  Of course, if he plays lights out this season, he may put that notion to bed before Martavis fails his next drug test.
This seems about right. I might take Booker over Coates but generally WR are worth more.

Coates is a great prospect as long as the yips tracking the ball don't happen too much he could do very well this year.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac reports sophomore WR Sammie Coates "has shown the ability to be a game-changing receiver" in camp.
Dulac notes Coates has made several spectacular catches throughout the first week of camp, and OC Todd Haley believes those flash plays are meaningful. "It’s very important, not only for his confidence but for the confidence of the quarterback, the confidence of the staff, the confidence of the players," Haley said. "The plays he’s made, some of those combat catches are just exactly what you want to see." The best like-for-like replacement for Martavis Bryant (suspended) on the roster, Coates is going to have a role this season.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 
Aug 9 - 8:23 AM

The Hank said:
Seems like a mistake - wouldnt be surprised if he surpasses Martavis' 2015 stats though (50 rec 765 yds 6 tds)
bryants' stats were in a 11 games

if you pro rate it over 16 games bryants numbers come out to:

72  catches  1112 yards   9 tds

I think sharks numbers might be a bit high, but not totally crazy

lets not forget coates was a 3rd and Bryant a 4th, (not saying is the end all be all) but the steelers had to see enough that they liked him in the 3rd a year after Bryant in the 4th.

bryants' stats were in a 11 games

if you pro rate it over 16 games bryants numbers come out to:

72  catches  1112 yards   9 tds

I think sharks numbers might be a bit high, but not totally crazy

lets not forget coates was a 3rd and Bryant a 4th, (not saying is the end all be all) but the steelers had to see enough that they liked him in the 3rd a year after Bryant in the 4th.
Good Points EB - also, if Ben plays a whole slate of 16 games with Coates as the #3 or even #2 ... look out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Points EB - also, if Ben plays a whole slate of 16 games with Coates as the #3 or even #2 ... look out.
I am cautiously optimistic.   this might sound weird but I feel like if I liked different team I'd be higher on him.

I mean he is a big play threat. he could be a monster in best ball leagues, I'd just be concern back to his days at auburn where he averaged 55 yards a catch as a td.. he might have games where he goes 2 for 20 etc.

I am cautiously optimistic.   this might sound weird but I feel like if I liked different team I'd be higher on him.

I mean he is a big play threat. he could be a monster in best ball leagues, I'd just be concern back to his days at auburn where he averaged 55 yards a catch as a td.. he might have games where he goes 2 for 20 etc.
I agree with you completely.

However if he could supplant Wheaton as Ben's #2 WR, Coates could be in for a mammoth year. Wheaton in his final 6 games last year with a healthy Ben was performing at a fantasy WR2 level EASILY

I own Coates in one of my dynos, so I am not trying to pump the brakes on this hype train. But, I was legitimately shocked when I saw those projections.  I guess this means I will be targeting him in the double digit rounds in all my redrafts.

Sammie Coates caught 2-of-2 targets for 66 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' third preseason game.
The bad news is Coates played behind Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton, and Eli Rogers. The good news is Coates finally had a productive preseason game, albeit with Landry Jones as opposed to the Ben Roethlisberger group. Coates is one of the Steelers' most explosive weapons, but he's yet to earn a first-team role. He remains an intriguing watch-list candidate for early in the season.

Aug 26 - 11:52 PM

I'm starting him due to byes. his big play ability should hurt the jets.  He's due for a td

I"m starting Sammie this week as well.   Facing a very weak Jets secondary that's susceptible to the big play, this might be the week that Coates hits paydirt.   

HIs snaps and targets are on the upswing.   He led the team in yards and targets last week.  And (shhhh!) very quietly he's currently on pace for 1128 receiving yards.   Martavis 2.0?  

If he's on the wire in your league, go get him.  

I"m starting Sammie this week as well.   Facing a very weak Jets secondary that's susceptible to the big play, this might be the week that Coates hits paydirt.   

HIs snaps and targets are on the upswing.   He led the team in yards and targets last week.  And (shhhh!) very quietly he's currently on pace for 1128 receiving yards.   Martavis 2.0?  

:thumbup:

this post pushed me over to coates instead of some other options at flex. so far so good! :hifive:

Glad that I could assist.   Cheers!! 

Having a monster game, but dropped a gimme TD later in the game.    Should get more opportunities though.   

Glad that I could assist.   Cheers!! 

Having a monster game, but dropped a gimme TD later in the game.    Should get more opportunities though.   
Not a bad fantasy day but he's dropped at least 4-5 passes so far today.  Not a good NFL WR day.  He's 2 for 7 so far today.

His Dynasty value has to have taken a huge leap in the past few weeks.   Wheaton is Wheaton and Heyward Bay can block...   

He's currently WR16 in PPR scoring and if his hand is injured it might explain some of the drops yesterday.   If his value has not gone up proportional to the performance he is a buy candidate in Dynasty. 

He's currently WR16 in PPR scoring and if his hand is injured it might explain some of the drops yesterday.   If his value has not gone up proportional to the performance he is a buy candidate in Dynasty. 
Nah, he's a sell high in all formats, including dynasty. Waldman rips into him pretty hard here: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=top10wk5review

Basically says he's the same player he's always been - can't track the ball, can't catch the ball.

Wheaton is nothing special, but he's better than Coates and his snap count is increasing (actually out snapped Coates 49-44 last week).

Nah, he's a sell high in all formats, including dynasty. Waldman rips into him pretty hard here: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=top10wk5review

Basically says he's the same player he's always been - can't track the ball, can't catch the ball.

Wheaton is nothing special, but he's better than Coates and his snap count is increasing (actually out snapped Coates 49-44 last week).
Going to have to disagree. Steelers are going to go with the hot hand and Wheaton being better than Coates is hilarious.

What about coates targets?  They have been crazy high

I'd be willing to bet that the reason Wheaton had more snaps is because they were monitoring and playing with Coates' hand. Sammie has a distinguished role, the deep guy, Wheaton's role (if anything) is as  the gadget guy. And he's not good at it. We have not seen Wheaton perform despite numerous opportunities, Sammie has shown good performances 2 weeks straight and was passable before that. Sammie may not be special, certainly not as special as Bryant was/is, but he has a defined role that he is pretty good at. He caught  6/11 balls with a screwy hand this weekend. Catching 50% doesn't make you a world beater but Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin have been 50% catch guys and they have been extremely fantasy relevant. Coates may be an ugly scorer, but I'm betting that he keeps scoring

My takeaway after getting past Matt's technical criticisms was that Coates had a shot at 5 TDs.

Currently Sammie Coates is second on the team in total targets with 31 which is 6.2 targets per game. His catch rate is a respectable 61.3% over 5 games. His yards per target are outstanding 13.6

This is actually better than I really hoped for him as a rookie prospect, showing that he has made some improvement in his catching technique compared to his games with Auburn.

If we extrapolated this five game sample over 16 he would get  99 targets 61 receptions 1346 yards and 6 TD now obviously those yards seem too high, or higher than I think anyone would reasonably expect, but that is the pace he has performed at thus far. He is actually only trailing Antonio Brown by 26 passing yards right now. He even has a couple rushing attempts.

There is some risk reward involved with him but the reward is pretty great when they do connect. DHB does not seem like a threat to his role in the offense as he only has 4 targets thus far this season.

Hat tip to ZWK for his college prospect evaluation which caused me to take a closer look at him.

While I have observed similar things to what Matt Waldman's criticisms are, the catch rate tells a more positive story in regards to his efficiency. Part of that may be due to Big Ben and Coates might struggle more with a less effective QB, but in his current situation he is producing.

The hand injury required stitches according to this and likely contributed to his drops according to the author.

Coates got stitches in his hand at halftime of the Steelers' 31-13 win over the New York Jets last Sunday and played through the game, albeit with several drops, to record six catches for 139 yards and two touchdowns.
This puts his playing status in doubt for the game against Miami, which is a juicy match up as the Dolphins secondary is pretty bad. He did catch 54.4% of his targets in the game against the Jets despite the injury. This is still better than DHB's 50% catch rate in 2016 or DHB's career catch rate of 47.3%

I would sell Coates if I could get full value in terms of a raw 23 year old WR with great physical tools in a fantastic situation...   I thought there would be more hype by now though.  

Wheaton is awful,  Coates will send him to the bench. 

I'm gonna go ahead and own this guy in every league possible and be fine with having him across Antonio Brown and filling the stat sheet up with Martavius Bryant lite numbers. 

Users who are viewing this thread