What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: Sammie Coates Pittsburgh Steelers (1 Viewer)

Nothing to see here, folks.

People forget that his best game last year was also his worst game. Stat sheets can be deceptive.

Can't track the ball. Can't catch the ball. I don't care how big or fast someone is, you gotta be able to do both of those and he's awful at both aspects. 
It was his worst game because he mangled his hand in that game.

People can talk about he can't track or catch the ball and really it's as simple as looking at a game log and an injury report.

First 5 games of season. 40+ yard play EVERY game, is leading the NFL in such plays. Had 31 targets but 19 in games 4 and 5 which suggests he was getting more comfortable. On those 31 targets he had 19 catches, 421 yards, 2 TD's.  Then he broke and lacerated his hand in his worst/best game in week 5 and  had 2 catches for 14 yards the entire rest of the season on 18 targets.  He went from 13.58 yards per target to .7 after he broke/lacerated his hand.

So you can either think that after week 5 he woke up and suddenly lost the ability to track or catch the ball, just got lucky as hell 5 weeks in a row, or believe that a WR who had his hand mangled and required off-season surgery was not able to do his job as a pass catcher. One of those makes a lot more logical sense to me than the others to but to each their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was his worst game because he mangled his hand in that game.

People can talk about he can't track or catch the ball and really it's as simple as looking at a game log and an injury report.

First 5 games of season. 40+ yard play EVERY game, is leading the NFL in such plays. Had 31 targets but 19 in games 4 and 5 which suggests he was getting more comfortable. On those 31 targets he had 19 catches, 421 yards, 2 TD's.  Then he broke and lacerated his hand in his worst/best game in week 5 and  had 2 catches for 14 yards the entire rest of the season on 18 targets.  He went from 13.58 yards per target to .7 after he broke/lacerated his hand.

So you can either think that after week 5 he woke up and suddenly lost the ability to track or catch the ball, just got lucky as hell 5 weeks in a row, or believe that a WR who had his hand mangled and required off-season surgery was not able to do his job as a pass catcher. One of those makes a lot more logical sense to me than the others to but to each their own.
Nope. It was his worst game because, while he did have some big stats, a mediocre WR would have had massive stats. His finger didn't hurt his ability to track the ball. He just doesn't have that ability. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that Waldman broke it down play-by-play and called him out as a bad WR. This guy is a waste of a roster space. He has the athletic ability, but not the talent.

Browns acquired WR Sammie Coates from the Steelers in exchange for a 2018 sixth-round pick.

Coates struggled throughout his time in Pittsburgh as a 2015 third-rounder, whether it was rookie-year mistakes or the injury bug. Injuries have particularly held him back recently. Coates broke his fingers in 2016 then needed groin and knee surgeries after the season. He's extremely gifted physically at 6'1/212 with long arms and good speed but has yet to put it all together. Coates has two years left on his rookie deal and is another downfield threat for DeShone Kizer.

Related: Steelers

Users who are viewing this thread