What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: Sammie Coates Pittsburgh Steelers (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Sammie Coates - WR - Tigers

Football Outsiders' Playmaker Score grades Auburn WR Sammie Coates as the No. 4 receiver.

"When Coates was a sophomore, 2.5 percent of Auburn's pass attempts were touchdown passes to Coates," wrote FO's Nathan Forster. "Similarly, he dominated his team's passing attack as a junior, gaining 3.16 yards per team attempt. He also averaged a superb 21.4 yards per catch and is entering the draft as an underclassman. However, while Coates' rate stats were good, his total stats were not that impressive, with only 741 receiving yards and four touchdowns as a junior." The system offered a pair of interesting historical comparisons in Demaryius Thomas and Stephen Hill. "Coates' numbers may simply be a function of an offense where a few deep passes to Coates served as a change of pace, rather than a true reflection of Coates' ability as a receiver," Forster wrote. "In that regard, Coates is hauntingly similar to a huge bust that Playmaker Score loved: Stephen Hill. Coates' scouting report is similar."

Source: ESPN Insider

Mar 30 - 12:54 AM

Rotoworld:

Sammie Coates - WR - Tigers

Auburn WR Sammie Coates' "skills are a point of weakness, both in terms of focus drops and in tracking the deep ball, but he has elite big-play ability as a vertical route runner," notes ESPN's Todd McShay.

"He is quick to accelerate off the line and has outstanding top-end speed, along with great length and leaping ability to come down with 50-50 balls," McShay wrote. The analyst ranks Coates as the No. 75 overall prospect in the class. Coates has visited the Miami Dolphins, Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers and Pittsburgh Steelers. The 6-foot-2, 213-pound wideout boasts 4.43 speed.

Source: ESPN Insider

Apr 14 - 8:35 PM

Rotoworld:

Auburn WR Sammie Coates "is gifted with a combination of size, speed and muscularity rarely packaged in one wide receiver," according to NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.
"He uses all that to simplify the game into a footrace toward the horizon, using his goodbye speed to scorch defenses by just running straight down the field until there is only himself and the ball, assuming the quarterback can reach him," Cooney wrote. "As much as his amazing college career average of 21.4 yards per catch wows some scouts, others dismiss Coates and his big numbers because they believe he will need more than speed to succeed in the NFL." The 6-foot-2, 213-pound wideout boasts 4.3-level speed, but he also has hands of stone. "We agree he was a one-trick pony in college, but it was one hell of a trick -- a disappearing act beyond the horizon, football in hand," Cooney wrote. "Coates can be a key element in somebody's offense with speed that demands extra attention as it renders defenses topless."

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 18 - 4:07 PM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Auburn WR Sammie Coates' "physical traits and home run ability could see him come off the draft board in the top-75 picks."
"Coates could have used another year in college to continue his development and work on the details of the position, but a target with his natural gifts will be coveted at the next level. His physical traits and home run ability could see him come off the draft board in the top-75 picks," Brugler wrote. The 6-foot-2, 213-pound wideout has the ideal size and speed for the next level, although, Coates gets knocked for his hands. In order for the Auburn prospect to be successful, he'll have to prove to coaches he can be more consistent catching the ball, in order to get playing time.

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 22 - 2:30 PM

Steelers already had DHB and Martavis Bryant. Now they have a player in Coates who is like DHB with questionable hands / ball tracking and can take top off a defense like Bryant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steelers already had DHB and Martavis Bryant. Now they have a player in Coates who is like DHB with questionable hands / ball tracking and can take top off a defense like Bryant.
Coates can fly and take the top off he struggles with tracking though so it may not matter when he gets open.

Rotoworld:

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert insisted third-round WR Sammie Coates has good hands.

The tape says otherwise as Coates dropped 8-of-75 targets for Auburn in 2014 and showed poor ball skills. "What I will tell you is, they didn’t play him every down," Steelers WRs coach Richard Mann said. "What happens is he disappears. A lot of times, in my opinion, players have a tendency to lose concentration simply because they weren’t involved and then you bring them back in the heat of the battle." Coates will start his NFL career battling Markus Wheaton for the No. 3 job. The Steelers are willing to roll the dice thanks to unique physical talent.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
May 5 - 8:23 AM

He is still not yet selected in my 12 team PPR dynasty rookie draft as of pick 2.11. If you selected him in your rookie draft what pick was it and who did you pass on to select him. Notables still not selected are Devin Smith, Maxx Williams, and Javorius Allen. Funchess just went at 2.10.

He is still not yet selected in my 12 team PPR dynasty rookie draft as of pick 2.11. If you selected him in your rookie draft what pick was it and who did you pass on to select him. Notables still not selected are Devin Smith, Maxx Williams, and Javorius Allen. Funchess just went at 2.10.
In my 12 team PPR dynasty rookie draft, I picked him 29th. The 5 players that were picked right after him were Josh Robinson, Tre McBride, Stefon Diggs, DeAndre Smelter, and Chris Conley.

Rotoworld:

After attending the start of Steelers camp, Yahoo's Charles Robinson came away believing rookie Sammie Coates "has got work to do."
Coates has reportedly missed time with "hamstring issues," something that wasn't previously reported. The injury doesn't sound serious, but Robinson believes it's clear Coates is far behind Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton. "It's going to take a lot of progress and maybe an injury for Coates to get some real opportunities this year," Robinson wrote. Barring a fast progression in camp, Coates may open 2015 as a healthy game-day scratch.

Source: Yahoo Sports
Jul 28 - 1:38 PM

I like him. He's got a TO build. Might be a project but the Steelers give him an opportunity for targets.
The Steelers are going to be a tough place for targets, short term. Sanders, Bryant and Wheaton are all well ahead of him. Unless there's an injury I can't see much impact rookie year.

I agree Coates is not likely to do much if anything as a rookie. I also have some doubts about his development long term. However the Steelers have been a bit of a WR factory in recent years, so that gives me some hope that he may come around eventually.

I like him. He's got a TO build. Might be a project but the Steelers give him an opportunity for targets.
The Steelers are going to be a tough place for targets, short term. Sanders, Bryant and Wheaton are all well ahead of him. Unless there's an injury I can't see much impact rookie year.
I suspect you meant Brown. Coates will probably not see many targets, throw in L. Bell who has the potential to have 60-70 receptions this year as well once he's back.

Rotoworld:

Sammie Coates - WR - Steelers

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports third-rounder WR Sammie Coates has had a quiet camp thus far.

"Haven't noticed much out of Coates," were the words of beat writer Mark Kaboly. His observation comes two days after Yahoo's Charles Robinson reported Coates "has got work to do." It sounds like Coates could have trouble earning No. 4 duties this summer, and begin the year as a weekly inactive.

Source: Mark Kaboly on Twitter

Jul 30 - 9:24 PM

Rotoworld:

Sammie Coates caught one pass for 12 yards in Sunday night's Hall of Fame Game against the Vikings.

Coates made a big-time concentration catch for a first down on an intermediate pass that was tipped by Vikings MLB Audie Cole yet still secured by Pittsburgh's third-round pick. NBC's Cris Collinsworth -- who often meets with coaches before games -- mentioned during the telecast that the Steelers have been "a bit disappointed" in Coates' early-camp practice performance, but he did well on that play and also got wide open on a red-zone double move in the second quarter, but was overthrown badly by Landry Jones. Coates figures to open the season as Pittsburgh's No. 5 receiver behind Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton, Martavis Bryant, and special teamer Darrius Heyward-Bey.

Aug 9 - 9:48 PM

Rotoworld:

Third-round pick Sammie Coates is expected to open the season as the Steelers' "fourth or fifth receiver."

Coates will probably be a game-day scratch to begin the year because Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, and Markus Wheaton will occupy three-receiver sets, while Darrius Heyward-Bey is one of Pittsburgh's top special teams players.

Aug 18 - 10:04 PM

Rotoworld:

Sammie Coates caught two passes for 60 yards in the Steelers' third preseason game.

We saw the good and bad from Coates in this game. He got three steps on rookie Packers CB Quinten Rollins in the third quarter, but a badly thrown ball allowed Rollins to recover and hold Coates to a 54-yard gain. Coates also dropped two passes, the second of which was a bad concentration drop with no defender around. Coates oozes physical upside, but he will be no better than fourth on the depth chart when the season begins.

Aug 23 - 4:35 PM

1) Bryant is out for four games, and this could be a recurring issue.

2) Coates appears to be next in line

3) Coates and Bryant seem to be similar in build and playing style.

4) The Steelers were probably in the know about Bryant's issues - otherwise, why draft his carbon copy a year later?

He's probably still green, but maybe he changes colors later this year or maybe next year.

I am buying.

Rotoworld:

The Steelers are not expected to turn to third-round pick Sammie Coates for a prominent role during Martavis Bryant's suspension.

Both Ben Roethlisberger and coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that the Steelers are counting on special teamer Darrius Heyward-Bey to "pick up the slack," and not Coates. Coates has generally looked lost this preseason, and could end up an early-season game-day scratch even with Bryant serving a four-game ban. As for the Steelers, it seems more likely they'll use more two-tight end sets than lean heavily on Heyward-Bey in the passing game.

Related: Darrius Heyward-Bey

I just found a very helpful montage of offensive Auburn plays that shows where Coates lined up in the 2014 Iron Bowl v. Bama. Kind of a cool tool to get an idea of how he performed against top competition at the collegiate level. It's helpful to watch him with your own eyes rather than simply going on the subjective reports of others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qegn2GhnW7I

Too bad it looks like NFL Draft Pulse only loaded two videos like this. The other is on 2015 Vikings rookie phenom Stefon Diggs.

I just found a very helpful montage of offensive Auburn plays that shows where Coates lined up in the 2014 Iron Bowl v. Bama. Kind of a cool tool to get an idea of how he performed against top competition at the collegiate level. It's helpful to watch him with your own eyes rather than simply going on the subjective reports of others.

Too bad it looks like NFL Draft Pulse only loaded two videos like this. The other is on 2015 Vikings rookie phenom Stefon Diggs.
Draft Breakdown buddy. It'll change your life.

http://draftbreakdown.com/

Draft Breakdown buddy. It'll change your life.
Awesome. Thanks. :thumbup:

Coates draft pick was insurance for M. Bryant since the Steelers were aware of his drug related suspension. In addition Wheaton is a FA next year so he may walk. This year the Steelers are loaded at WR with the two I just mentioned, A. Brown and DHB. I doubt anyone who has Coates in dynasty is unaware of these factors - but I don't play in dynasty leagues. But given the Steelers track record with WR I think he'll eventually geta chance to contribute, maybe as early as next year.

Coates made some plays against Denver in the playoff game with Brown out. He is a great under the radar buy in dynasty. His upside is off the charts in that offense.

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert pointed to Sammie Coates when asked if Pittsburgh has any urgency to upgrade at wide receiver.
Coates was a luxury pick in the third round of last year's draft, but he is now a likely contributor after Martavis Bryant's suspension. "We feel good about Sammie Coates," Colbert insisted. Coates did nothing in his rookie regular season, but he picked up gains of 37 and 24 yards in the Steelers' playoff loss to Denver. Coates is still a long shot for significant 2016 fantasy value.

Source: Gerry Dulac on Twitter 
Mar 20 - 2:26 PM

I like Coates strictly because he's playing with Ben Roethlisberger. His build reminds me of Terrell Owens.
Same here on the TO build and I like him but not just because he's playing with Big Ben or his build.

I thought he tore up the combine last year and displayed a lot of the physical traits I look for in an elite WR. Speed, explosiveness and ability to accelerate quickly were all evident on his 40, short shuttle and jumps.

I also loved his production in college and I'm not talking about his meager total stats.  That offense he played in college is just not going to produce big WR stats and it's a poor offense to prepare you for the NFL so him not putting up big stats in college or doing next to nothing last year are not issues to me. But his last year in college he had 3 100+ yard plus games and I would say those 3 games were arguably against the 3 best defenses with the 3 best secondaries he faced which was LSU, Ole Miss and Bama. In those 3 games he caught more than 50% of his season yardage total putting up 471 yards and all 4 of his TD's were in those 3 games.

And while I don't really agree with this comp, I remember his pre-draft scouting reporting writeup on NFL.com and the player he was comped to was Martavis.

Grabbing him in Dynasty right before the end of the season feels like a genius move now (especially since I have MB).  I highly doubt he's as talented as TO, but I definitely think he can be a solid contributor (1000 yards 8 TDs, or more).  Antonio and Bell will be the main targets by Big Ben and Wheaton has a longer history, but Coates will have every opportunity to shine since Wheaton is likely gone after this season.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette believes second-year WR Sammie Coates will be the main beneficiary of Martavis Bryant's year-long ban.
Never prone to hyperbole, the venerable Bouchette has been "told" Coates "worked out like crazy" this offseason, is in "great shape," and "the coaches keep talking him up." A repeat of Bryant's numbers is highly unlikely for Coates, but he has a wide catching radius and dynamic athletic ability at 6-foot-1, 212 with 4.41 wheels. He's an intriguing late-round dart throw in best-ball MFL10s.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

He's the only WR on the Steelers with decent height, I could easily see him getting 8-10 TDs this year even if he lacks yardage.

If he can build upon what he showed last year against the Broncos, then he's got a shot to get 800 yards and 8 TDs or more.  I'd be surprised if he has less than 600 yards and 6 TDs assuming he has an injury free year.

If Brown goes down with injury then his #s could go way up.  Unfortunately, Ben is reported to have really good chemistry with Hey-Bey-Bey so he'll probably steal a good amount of targets.

Speaking Wednesday, Steelers OC Todd Haley said second-year WR Sammie Coates has had a "tremendous" offseason.
Haley said Coates "turned it up a notch" this spring. The sophomore out of Auburn has been a puff-piece all star, with most around the Steelers on an every-day basis expecting a big leap from the 6'1/212 athletic freak. Markus Wheaton is the early favorite for No. 2 receiver duties, but Coates still figures to have a prominent role in a Pittsburgh offense that likes to use a ton of three-wide sets and attack the field vertically.

Source: Mark Kaboly on Twitter
Jun 8 - 1:05 PM

Where would you slide him into this year's rookie draft class?  Full disclosure...he is a free agent in my dynasty league, and I pick at 1.9.  Feel like I would rather have him than guys like Devonte Booker, Kenneth Dixon, or Tyler Boyd.  But maybe not before guys like Derick Henry, Michael Thomas or Sterling Shepard.  For me, that places him right around 8, which means him falling to 9 seems very possible.  Concern is that when/if Martavis returns, he loses a lot of snaps and value.  Of course, if he plays lights out this season, he may put that notion to bed before Martavis fails his next drug test.

Where would you slide him into this year's rookie draft class?  Full disclosure...he is a free agent in my dynasty league, and I pick at 1.9.  Feel like I would rather have him than guys like Devonte Booker, Kenneth Dixon, or Tyler Boyd.  But maybe not before guys like Derick Henry, Michael Thomas or Sterling Shepard.  For me, that places him right around 8, which means him falling to 9 seems very possible.  Concern is that when/if Martavis returns, he loses a lot of snaps and value.  Of course, if he plays lights out this season, he may put that notion to bed before Martavis fails his next drug test.
I'd take the flyer on him after Thomas and Shepard.  Not sold on Coates or Boyd, but Coates has an ideal situation this year, so you might be able to flip him for better value near the trade deadline.

http://www.draftsharks.com/shark-bites/40970/steelers-oc-talks-up-coates?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Steelers OC Todd Haley talked up WR Sammie Coates to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, calling him a "night and day" player between last season and now. The positive buzz on Coates has been steady all season. There was never any doubting the upside on a 6'1, 212-pounder with 4.4 speed and a 41-inch vertical. And it sounds like Coates' game is catching up to that potential. If he can push Markus Wheaton aside for the #2 spot on the depth chart, Coates could quickly emerge as a weekly fantasy starter. - See more at: http://www.draftsharks.com/shark-bites/40970/steelers-oc-talks-up-coates?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed#sthash.Y49C6KSa.dpuf

http://www.draftsharks.com/shark-bites/40970/steelers-oc-talks-up-coates?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Steelers OC Todd Haley talked up WR Sammie Coates to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, calling him a "night and day" player between last season and now. The positive buzz on Coates has been steady all season. There was never any doubting the upside on a 6'1, 212-pounder with 4.4 speed and a 41-inch vertical. And it sounds like Coates' game is catching up to that potential. If he can push Markus Wheaton aside for the #2 spot on the depth chart, Coates could quickly emerge as a weekly fantasy starter. - See more at: http://www.draftsharks.com/shark-bites/40970/steelers-oc-talks-up-coates?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed#sthash.Y49C6KSa.dpuf
:drive:

Users who are viewing this thread