What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doug Martin 2014 (1 Viewer)

I watched him (Doug) live from day 1 (rookie) through this season.... In practice as well as game situations. He has talent, and a lot of it... Far more than any other back on this roster. It would be pure speculation to say what's happened. But I can say with a high level of confidence that the problem is somewhere between his head and his heart. Why and when this happened and whether or not he ever recovers is another conversation....

But, what I can say is that without a doubt this version of Doug Martin is inferior to any other back on this roster. I can site one specific example of a game I was at recently where I saw him hit the hole hard and show some real burst and I said out loud to a friend... "FINALLY! there you go Doug"... just to realize it was Rainey running the ball.

I've seen him running drills and practicing along side the other backs on this team. His talent isn't the issue. It's something else. Maybe he's thinking too much, maybe he's scared (injury?), or maybe he can't find the love for the game anymore and he's playing for checks now. Until (if) he finds his heart and losses his head he's toast... But this kid has genuine talent and he can play this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back at practice today, and apparently healthy. Neither Rainey nor Sims has showed any signs of running away with the job. Any chance he becomes fantasy relevant again this year?
I don't see it. And I don't think Sims winds up being much more than a 3rd down guy long term.

Frankly I don't think it'll matter how Sims looks (which thru 2 games isn't good). They're going to spend the rest of the year seeing what they got in him. (Whether Martin's the best runner or not is irrelevant IMO at this point)

Personally I don't think any Tampa RB is worth starting ROS.

The perception of Martin is flawed by most people in my opinion.

He was a rookie and his first 5 or 6 games he looked a little lost. He missed cut backs and missed holes to run through. During that time he averaged under 4 yards a carry. Once he seemed to figure it out he averaged around 5 yards per and was a nice player.

He did struggle to start 2013, I am not sure if it was because the Bucs were a mess, or it was him, but saying the guys that replaced him after injury did that much better is false for a couple reasons. First Rainey averaged 3.7 a carry, however people feel better about what he did because you picked him up off the waivers and it was easier to justify his inconsistent performances. James averaged 5 yards per carrying but it was a small sample size.
Take out his 1 huge game vs the raiders and here are his numbers.

21 games

421 carries for 1659 yards 4.1. 8td, 57 receptions for 517 yards 1 TD.

Per game 20 for 79 .4 TD, 3 rec for 25 yards .05 TD

Is that top 5 dynasty pick production? That's with schiano force feeding him touches
I tried to help you guys, but some are too prideful to see the truth
ummm, those numbers say the opposite of what youre trying to assert. if you coulda gotten that sort of production in the 3-5th round, then everyone would take it.

Can't wait to see DM somewhere else. Maddening watching him perform at the level he is and essentially being wasted.
I can't say that I am upset with 20 touches in the abstract. That said, once I saw that they were down 18 going into the 2nd half, I was texting with my opponent and mentioning that I would be shocked in his total 2nd half touches reached 7. Unfortunately I was right.

Can't wait to see DM somewhere else. Maddening watching him perform at the level he is and essentially being wasted.
Love comments like this. He's being wasted? He's LEADING THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING! Where would you prefer he be that would be a better situation?

Love comments like this. He's being wasted? He's LEADING THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING! Where would you prefer he be that would be a better situation?
Saying that he is being wasted is being silly. That said, even if you are down a couple of scores, wouldn't you think that you would want to give or throw the ball once to the guy who is LEADING THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING over the last 20 minutes of the game?

Last night looked really promising given that he had almost 50 yards in the first quarter - just a little disappointing that his usage drops SO much when they are behind.

Ned Ryerson said:
Grahamburn said:
IndyHavoc said:
Saying that he is being wasted is being silly. That said, even if you are down a couple of scores, wouldn't you think that you would want to give or throw the ball once to the guy who is LEADING THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING over the last 20 minutes of the game?
Whut? You say it's silly, then go on to point out how misused he was from 1.5 quarters to the end of the game. They weren't down by 40, gents. When you have something that effective...you keep doing it until the opponent stops it. Well, unless you're a completely clueless coaching staff on a crappy franchise.

I stand by my point. Hope he's developing a mountain sized chip on his shoulder over this stuff. Get the F outta that organization, DM!

I asked earlier when you said he's being wasted, but I'll ask again. Where would you prefer he go that you see as a better landing spot?

Keep in mind I'll probably respond to your post with "HES LEADING THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING IN TAMPA!"

Ned Ryerson said:
Grahamburn said:
IndyHavoc said:
Whut? You say it's silly, then go on to point out how misused he was from 1.5 quarters to the end of the game. They weren't down by 40, gents. When you have something that effective...you keep doing it until the opponent stops it. Well, unless you're a completely clueless coaching staff on a crappy franchise.

I stand by my point. Hope he's developing a mountain sized chip on his shoulder over this stuff. Get the F outta that organization, DM!
In this particular game it is not surprising, considering Lovie's pattern, but he is averaging 20 touches a game. In today's NFL that is a boatload.

I asked earlier when you said he's being wasted, but I'll ask again. Where would you prefer he go that you see as a better landing spot?

Keep in mind I'll probably respond to your post with "HES LEADING THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING IN TAMPA!"
I don't necessarily believe he's being wasted, but he's a very capable receiver. Sims is not a good runner, his long run yesterday aside. When TB has Sims in, they become 1-dimensional. The other team doesn't have to worry as much a/b the run as they would if Martin is in the game.If he were to go to Chi, Tenn, Dallas, Seattle, NYG, Hou, I think he could do well. Of course, you have Langford in Chi, but his running hasn't really impressed me. In Tenn, there's no real proven RB to contend with. Seattle, you have Lynch? & Rawls. NYG- I think Martin would replace those guys, but if Vereen is still there, some if Martins receiving #s would be capped. Depending on what happens with Foster, Houston could be a great situation.

I don't necessarily believe he's being wasted, but he's a very capable receiver. Sims is not a good runner, his long run yesterday aside. When TB has Sims in, they become 1-dimensional. The other team doesn't have to worry as much a/b the run as they would if Martin is in the game.
When a team is down by 20 they are one dimensional regardless who is in the backfield. The defense doesn't care if a guy runs for 4-8 yards and runs clock out when they are up by that much.

Simms is one of the best receiving backs in the league, i don't see any problem with him playing over Martin when Tampa is down by a ton.

Exactly. When the Bucs have been down Sims comes in because he's the better receiver and better blocker.

I have Doug, but I'm also a Bucs' fan. I hope he re-signs, and hopefully the defense improves enough to allow Koetter to call more running plays in the second half of games.

This offense could potentially be really potent going forward...

Watching the game on Thursday night they interviewed Jeff Fisher at halftime. Even HE knew that TB would totally abandon the run with their lead. At halftime.

When you're that predictable - can't believe Lovie got another HC job.

Grahamburn said:
Exactly. When the Bucs have been down Sims comes in because he's the better receiver and better blocker.

I have Doug, but I'm also a Bucs' fan. I hope he re-signs, and hopefully the defense improves enough to allow Koetter to call more running plays in the second half of games.

This offense could potentially be really potent going forward...
I've never heard any negatives about Martin's blocking ability. Is he a poor blocker? I saw one play in particular from TNF, where he made a key blitz pickup, coming across the backfield to pick up a free blitzer, giving Winston the time he needed to make a completion.

That being said, when you are in a two-minute offense, and you don't need to maintain the threat of a rushing attack, put Sims in. On the other hand, when you have plenty of time left in the game, making the defense respect the run actually serves to open up the passing game. They can't just pin their ears back and go after the QB, and they can't just drop 8 guys in coverage. If they do, they can/will get gashed in the run game. But if Sims is the RB, they don't have to fear that.

So, if Martin is in at RB, they have a slightly inferior receiving RB (he has a 67% catch rate and 8YPC for his career to Sims' 70% & 10 YPC), but the threat of a run makes the D respect the run. If Sims is in at RB, the D knows they don't have to worry about the run, because Sims sucks. When there is an entire half to play, it doesn't make sense to have Sims in at RB, even if you are down by 18.

Simms is averaging 4.7 YPC as a runner; that is someone who sucks? Interesting.

I agree that it's frustrating to see Martin not on the field a lot when they get way behind or in obvious passing situations, but Simms has been good when called upon this year; he has earned his touches.

mr roboto said:
Watching the game on Thursday night they interviewed Jeff Fisher at halftime. Even HE knew that TB would totally abandon the run with their lead. At halftime.

When you're that predictable - can't believe Lovie got another HC job.
Almost every team abandons the run down 18+ at halftime.

I agree that it's frustrating to see Martin not on the field a lot when they get way behind or in obvious passing situations, but Simms has been good when called upon this year; he has earned his touches.
Yes, he sucks. He gets some yards on plays when there are wide open holes b/c the D is playing soft, but he can't make guys miss, and he can't get yards after contact. This is not unusual for COP backs. With limited carries, against soft D's, they can post numbers that make them look better than they are.

Yes, he sucks. He gets some yards on plays when there are wide open holes b/c the D is playing soft, but he can't make guys miss, and he can't get yards after contact. This is not unusual for COP backs. With limited carries, against soft D's, they can post numbers that make them look better than they are.
Good post. Also, they are more frequently running in passing situations - 2nd and long, 3rd and long. Can't compare YPC to backs who are used in different ways.

Users who are viewing this thread