What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

COVID-19 - schools K-12 (2 Viewers)

That's some trainwreck level analysis right there.  Comparing "under 15" to "under 17" is a bad start.  More important, they appear to be comparing "annual deaths from flu, with NO social distancing or other mitigating efforts" to "annual deaths from COVID-19, with massive social distancing and mitigation efforts".  You simply can't compare pure numbers like that, given that the scenarios aren't remotely similar.
This is what I keep thinking about.  For the most part, we have kept kids out of the fray and isolated more than other groups.   How will these numbers hold up when we put them all together.  Is it worth the risk to find out? 

Also, as a lot of others are pointing out - the deaths are not the the end all be all.  We need to think about possible long lasting effects too.  

This is what I keep thinking about.  For the most part, we have kept kids out of the fray and isolated more than other groups.   How will these numbers hold up when we put them all together.  Is it worth the risk to find out? 

Also, as a lot of others are pointing out - the deaths are not the the end all be all.  We need to think about possible long lasting effects too.  
Kids have not been isolated all summer here. Pool parties, play dates, little league, youth sports, birthdays, etc all going on here.

Erin Banco@ErinBanco

This is an incredible departure from what Birx and other task force officials told governors just a few weeks ago. On that call, they told governors that there was a way to reopen schools safely. They also said surveillance testing shouldn't necessarily be required

.@DanaBashCNN presses Dr. Deborah Birx on school reopenings.

“If you have high case load and active community spread … we’re asking people to distance learn at this moment so we can get this epidemic under control,”  Dr. Birx says. #CNNSOTU

This is quite interesting - first, the back and forth from the Federal government on school recommendations is enough to cause whiplash.

Second, and perhaps more distressing: "we’re asking people to distance learn at this moment so we can get this epidemic under control."

Think about that - by any reasonable measure, we are 5+ months into the pandemic (7 if you count from when we were first publicly notified) - and we are still at the stage of "trying to get it under control.

Erin Banco@ErinBanco

This is an incredible departure from what Birx and other task force officials told governors just a few weeks ago. On that call, they told governors that there was a way to reopen schools safely. They also said surveillance testing shouldn't necessarily be required

.@DanaBashCNN presses Dr. Deborah Birx on school reopenings.

“If you have high case load and active community spread … we’re asking people to distance learn at this moment so we can get this epidemic under control,”  Dr. Birx says. #CNNSOTU

This is quite interesting - first, the back and forth from the Federal government on school recommendations is enough to cause whiplash.

Second, and perhaps more distressing: "we’re asking people to distance learn at this moment so we can get this epidemic under control."

Think about that - by any reasonable measure, we are 5+ months into the pandemic (7 if you count from when we were first publicly notified) - and we are still at the stage of "trying to get it under control.
I.e. it's not under control, therefore it's out of control.  An out of control epidemic spread throughout hundreds of communities in this country.

If your community has plans to have students in-person to start the year (hybrid or full time) be prepared for a shutdown when there's a case in the school, either from students or staff.  I hope each of those schools have robust plans in place to quickly and seamlessly transition to 100% distance learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
North Paulding High School, about an hour outside Atlanta, reopened Monday despite an outbreak among members of its high school football team, many of whom, a Facebook video shows, worked out together in a crowded indoor gym last week as part of a weightlifting fundraiser.

Within days of that workout, several North Paulding players had tested positive for the coronavirus. The school’s parents were notified just hours before the first day of class.

And multiple teachers at North Paulding say there are positive tests among school staff, including a staff member who came into contact with most teachers at the school while exhibiting symptoms last week. Teachers and staff said the school won’t confirm coronavirus infections among district employees, citing privacy reasons.

"That was exactly one week ago, so we are all waiting to see who gets sick next week,” a North Paulding teacher told BuzzFeed News of her exposure to the virus.

Despite recommendations from CDC health officials, the district has called mask-wearing a “personal choice” and said that social distancing “will not be possible to enforce” in “most cases.” While the school provided teachers with face shields and masks and encouraged staff and students to wear them, they are not required and not all teachers have chosen to use them. One North Paulding teacher resigned last month over concerns about virus safety.

“Days before school even started, they knew that many of the football players were sick,” said a person familiar with the issues at the high school. “They knew from before day one that it wasn't going to work.”

Some students at North Paulding say they were forced to attend school in person because all of the slots for the district’s virtual learning option were filled. A narrow sign-up window for virtual classes meant many parents missed their opportunity to enroll their children online.

James, a North Paulding senior, said he came to school Tuesday because his mother was unable to enroll him in virtual learning. He wore a mask, but many of his classmates did not. And while some classes practiced distancing, in one, a teacher had pushed together students’ desks to allow for group work. His name has been changed in the story because of concerns about retribution from the school.

“It’s the hallway situation that has me most paranoid,” he said. “There’s a lot of people in the hallways, and you can’t do nothing about it, so it’s scary.”

It was a photo of one of those hallways, crammed with largely maskless students and with just a handful of masks in sight, that spread across the internet Tuesday.

The district superintendent, Brian Otott, sent a message to parents in the wake of the photo. He offered “context” for the photograph: “Class changes that look like this may happen, especially at a high school with more than 2,000 students.” There was little the district could do, he said, beyond encouraging masks.

Neither North Paulding High School nor Paulding County Schools responded to multiple requests for comment.

According to a person familiar with North Paulding High School, the plan shared with teachers said hallways were supposed to be one-way; the photograph was taken in one of the only two-laned hallways in the school. But the one-lane hallways had their own downsides, causing students to walk long routes between classes — spending more time in exposed common areas.

James’ parents saw the photograph that had been circulating Tuesday and told him, “You are not going back to school again,” he said. But a few hours later, his mother had spoken to the school and was told that students who “chose not to go to school” could face suspension or expulsion.

On Wednesday, he went back to school. “I had no choice,” he said.

Yeah.  Its all about the children...

• Sad
Reactions: rct
North Paulding High School, about an hour outside Atlanta, reopened Monday despite an outbreak among members of its high school football team, many of whom, a Facebook video shows, worked out together in a crowded indoor gym last week as part of a weightlifting fundraiser.
I posted this link in the FFA (impossible to keep up with the multiple threads) - the rumor (and that's all the weight I will give it for now) is that the student who took that viral pic was suspended from school.  Unclear if it's true and if it is whether it was for that or something else.  I'm skeptical but then again I'm still in shocked that the fine people who are running these North Georgia counties didn't have a better plan than what they appear to have.  My gut tells me that a lot of folks just threw their hands up and said, ok we will open but using cases as a fallback to close things down.  Strong leadership was needed to at least say they were not going to open without a mask mandate, a plan to social distance (something like A/B schedule).  What they are trying to do is madness.

I posted this link in the FFA (impossible to keep up with the multiple threads) - the rumor (and that's all the weight I will give it for now) is that the student who took that viral pic was suspended from school.  Unclear if it's true and if it is whether it was for that or something else.  I'm skeptical but then again I'm still in shocked that the fine people who are running these North Georgia counties didn't have a better plan than what they appear to have.  My gut tells me that a lot of folks just threw their hands up and said, ok we will open but using cases as a fallback to close things down.  Strong leadership was needed to at least say they were not going to open without a mask mandate, a plan to social distance (something like A/B schedule).  What they are trying to do is madness.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/laurenstrapagiel/north-paulding-high-school-suspensions-for-hallway-photos?__twitter_impression=true

"The policies I broke stated that I used my phone in the hallway without permission, used my phone for social media, and posting pictures of minors without consent," she said.

Her tally of mask wearing in her classes averaged about 25% over the first 3 days. How many other students used their cell phones in the hallways?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/laurenstrapagiel/north-paulding-high-school-suspensions-for-hallway-photos?__twitter_impression=true

"The policies I broke stated that I used my phone in the hallway without permission, used my phone for social media, and posting pictures of minors without consent," she said.

Her tally of mask wearing in her classes averaged about 25% over the first 3 days. How many other students used their cell phones in the hallways?
such terrible leadership at the school imo.

Students at a private elementary school in North Carolina, which was visited by Vice President Mike Pence and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos last week, have been forced to quarantine after a student tested positive for COVID-19. 

All fourth-grade students and teachers at the K-5 Thales Academy in Apex began a 14-day quarantine after an asymptomatic student tested positive for the coronavirus, according to multiple media reports. 

Thales spokeswoman Holly Clark told ABC News the school was informed the student had tested positive on Monday after being infected by a family member. The student, who last attended class on Friday, had passed daily temperature and symptom checks, Clark said. 

I'm sure all of this in-class -> quarantine -> in-class -> quarantine will be great for the students learning environment.  Nothing more conducive to learning than change and chaos.

Students at a private elementary school in North Carolina, which was visited by Vice President Mike Pence and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos last week, have been forced to quarantine after a student tested positive for COVID-19. 

All fourth-grade students and teachers at the K-5 Thales Academy in Apex began a 14-day quarantine after an asymptomatic student tested positive for the coronavirus, according to multiple media reports. 

Thales spokeswoman Holly Clark told ABC News the school was informed the student had tested positive on Monday after being infected by a family member. The student, who last attended class on Friday, had passed daily temperature and symptom checks, Clark said. 

I'm sure all of this in-class -> quarantine -> in-class -> quarantine will be great for the students learning environment.  Nothing more conducive to learning than change and chaos.
Or they will just stop quarantining the whole class and try to keep the positive cases quiet. 

Spoke with a very good friend the other night who is an assistant principal at a high school in Minnesota. She said her school is opening on a hybrid basis, though they're one of the few in the area that is even doing that (their overall size is a little smaller, so the complexity is more manageable). Still, she said that the experience isn't going to be that different from distance learning -- kids will mostly be sitting down at their distanced desks and doing all their work on computers in place of any in-person interactions. Also, it's a running joke among her and her colleagues that they're going to put in all this work on reopening and then everything will end up closing down again a couple weeks in due to outbreaks.

• Smile
250 students and staff quarantined in Georgia school district after one week of school]

CDC: Nearly 600 children hospitalized in US with inflammatory condition linked to COVID-19

Just brutal.  NOBODY knows what the long term effect will be on these kiddos and staff even if 100% (hopefully) get better.  So, so, sad that science and common sense has been politicized :(

ETA

Not really "sad" as much as "sickening". Sacrifice our children for political gain.
Not to downplay COVID, but per the CDC you know 21,000 school age children are hospitalized from the Flu in a year.  So it appears to me that the articles fear mongering over 600 hospitalizations are the ones politicizing it the most...they don't blink an eye for 21000 hospitalizations normally.  Those monsters sending kids to school during flu season must be the devil incarnate itself!  There is a lot of hypocrisy on both sides.  My kids started school in Georgia...my wife teaches there.  They wear masks, I am not worried or sickened they are in school.  Just saying...

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

• Thinking
Not to downplay COVID, but per the CDC you know 21,000 school age children are hospitalized from the Flu in a year.  So it appears to me that the articles fear mongering over 600 hospitalizations are the ones politicizing it the most...they don't blink an eye for 21000 hospitalizations normally.  Those monsters sending kids to school during flu season must be the devil incarnate itself!  There is a lot of hypocrisy on both sides.  My kids started school in Georgia...my wife teaches there.  They wear masks, I am not worried or sickened they are in school.  Just saying...

The concern here and why it's significantly different from "just the flu" is the permanent tissue damage this virus brings with it that the flu doesn't.  For example, we already know the heart doesn't regenerate tissue.  Once the heart is formed that's it.  We also know that this virus damages tissue.  The question then becomes, long term, what is the impact on X% tissue damage to the heart (should it get there) of children.  We already know that tissue damage like that in adults shaves off years of their lives.  

2018-2019 influenza deaths: 34, 200.

How many Covid deaths in 7 months?

Covid is not the flu.

You can contract the flu and join the military. You cant join the military if you contracted Covid.

I wish your family well. 

Covid is not the flu.

You can contract the flu and join the military. You cant join the military if you contracted Covid.

I wish your family well. 
He gave information on children. I didn’t know children can join the military.

• Sad
The concern here and why it's significantly different from "just the flu" is the permanent tissue damage this virus brings with it that the flu doesn't.  For example, we already know the heart doesn't regenerate tissue.  Once the heart is formed that's it.  We also know that this virus damages tissue.  The question then becomes, long term, what is the impact on X% tissue damage to the heart (should it get there) of children.  We already know that tissue damage like that in adults shaves off years of their lives.  
And for me it's the incredible unknowns that still exist around this virus

Again I'm amazed people are willing to let their kids be subjects in what is one large and terrible experiment.  

Again I'm amazed people are willing to let their kids be subjects in what is one large and terrible experiment.  
Exactly.  If we are going to have a vaccine by November 3rd can't we at least wait a few more months?

• Sad

Covid is not the flu.

I wish your family well. 
Only talking about children...more children are affected by the FLU than COVID....the FLU is more deadly to children than COVID.  Obviously it is not the FLU, but previous sentences about children apply.  Military is over-reacting about COVID due to the unknowns right now and not wanting to send COVID folks to units.  The military is stricter about response to COVID than the general public so it makes sense.

Came here to post exactly this. I know a guy, big Trump supporter, was posting on Facebook last week about the crazy hydroxychloriquine doctor and sounding like the world’s biggest relativist: The experts have been wrong any so many things since March, we shouldn’t silence the voices of those challenging the conventional wisdom, etc. Yet when it comes to schools, he is 100% convinced that the science shows kids aren’t at risk. 

My other concern about in-person schooling is that, given where we are as a country right now, any activity that brings lots of people together indoors has the potential to expand community spread. It’s not just the kids, or the teachers, or the staff, though of course I am worried about all of them. But ultimately, if we continue spreading the virus around, more people in our local communities will get it and more will die. I wish we had done a better job of shutting things down in the spring and summer, but we didn’t, and as a result we face much worse choices now.  

All that said, I’m not reflectively opposed to in-person, I recognize there are also a lot of costs to staying remote, and I think in some locations it may make sense to reopen. If I lived in one of those places, I would seriously consider sending my kids if I was satisfied with the safety plan in place. As it is, I’m in one of the worst hotspots in the country, so it’s not even an option. 

School Board voted 7-0 in favor of doing virtual only about a week ago.  

I guess a petition signed by about 200 people/families got them to have another meeting tomorrow night to maybe reconsider.   Of course on FB, so my wife said there was a lot of "lazy teachers don't to do anything and get paid" type of ignorant posts.    :wall:

School Board voted 7-0 in favor of doing virtual only about a week ago.  

I guess a petition signed by about 200 people/families got them to have another meeting tomorrow night to maybe reconsider.   Of course on FB, so my wife said there was a lot of "lazy teachers don't to do anything and get paid" type of ignorant posts.    :wall:
Yeah, the aforementioned friend from my previous post was saying, “If they’re only doing half the work, they should only get half their pay.” As if it’s laziness that’s making them reluctant to teach in a classroom

gobrowns33 said:
Only talking about children...more children are affected by the FLU than COVID....the FLU is more deadly to children than COVID.  Obviously it is not the FLU, but previous sentences about children apply.  Military is over-reacting about COVID due to the unknowns right now and not wanting to send COVID folks to units.  The military is stricter about response to COVID than the general public so it makes sense.
Again.... we don't know this. All we know about is short term and even then all we know is "they aren't dying right now like adults are"

I am a teacher in Kansas and we are having our first day of meetings( kids come next monday) I am in a classroom right now with 17 other teachers... 7 are wearing masks. We are doomed.

zftcg said:
Yeah, the aforementioned friend from my previous post was saying, “If they’re only doing half the work, they should only get half their pay.” As if it’s laziness that’s making them reluctant to teach in a classroom
Seems like every teacher I have talked to had to work harder in the spring when they went virtual.  

Again.... we don't know this. All we know about is short term and even then all we know is "they aren't dying right now like adults are"
Nearly 100,000 children get Covid in late July

It is definitely ticking up in kids - and opening the schools is just going to fan the flames. I think some basic common sense would indicate that they were the first group that we sheltered by closing schools, sports, etc. and kept them protected, now that it is peak summer and many are loosening restrictions on what their kids can do, seems to be spiking in the age group.

With millions of American children soon returning to school, a new study shows that at least 97,000 kids were infected with COVID-19 during the last two weeks of July.

According to the new report from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children's Hospital Association, at least 338,000 U.S. children had tested positive through July 30, The New York Times reported. That means that more than a quarter of those cases had come up positive in the second half of July alone.

Already, some schools have tried to reopen and then had to order quarantines or close after COVID-19 cases were reported among students and staff, the Times reported. North Paulding High School in Georgia, which gained national attention last week after videos of crowded hallways made their way onto social media, announced Sunday it would switch to online instruction for Monday and Tuesday after at least nine coronavirus cases were reported there.

In the new report, states in the South and West accounted for more than 7 of 10 infections. The count could be higher because the report did not include complete data from Texas and parts of New York State outside of New York City.

Missouri, Oklahoma, Alaska, Nevada, Idaho and Montana were among the states with the highest percentage increase of child infections during that period, the report found.

There were differences in how states classified children: Most places cited in the report considered children to be no older than 17 or 19. But in Alabama, the age limit was 24, while it was only 14 in Florida and Utah, the Times reported.

Though public health officials say that most children do not get severe illness, a new report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that a new, more dangerous COVID-19 condition known as Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children has struck children of color far more often than whites. From early March through late July, the CDC received reports of 570 young people -- ranging from infants to age 20 with the condition, the Times reported. Of those, 40 percent were Hispanic or Latino, 33 percent were Black and 13 percent were white. Ten died and nearly two-thirds were admitted to intensive care units, the report found.

think some basic common sense would indicate that they were the first group that we sheltered by closing schools, sports, etc. and kept them protected
I thought so a few months ago when i was pointing it out,  but apparently not. Might be too logical for this place

• Sad
Nearly 100,000 children get Covid in late July

It is definitely ticking up in kids - and opening the schools is just going to fan the flames. I think some basic common sense would indicate that they were the first group that we sheltered by closing schools, sports, etc. and kept them protected, now that it is peak summer and many are loosening restrictions on what their kids can do, seems to be spiking in the age group.
I'm not blaming you for this, but the link doesn't cite age of kids. From what I've read older kids appear to carry the virus as well as adults, but younger kids tell a vastly different story. This is a key distinction that needs vetted to make the most informed decision. 

zftcg said:
I think too many people think that distance learning is the same as working from home. They see others not working hard while WFH or they do it themselves, so they assume teachers will be lazy too.

Trying to effectively teach using distance learning is more difficult than teaching in person. Sure some teachers might allow quality slip significantly but most will be working harder because they’re trying to keep the level of education up. You can’t tell my that my daughter’s teacher has an easier job trying to get 19 five year olds to pay attention to a computer screen and learn for 3.5 hours per day. I think just about every teacher and even the most cautious parent would in-school learning back when it’s safe.

I'm not blaming you for this, but the link doesn't cite age of kids. From what I've read older kids appear to carry the virus as well as adults, but younger kids tell a vastly different story. This is a key distinction that needs vetted to make the most informed decision. 
Yup, most of what I have read, when the data is actually broken down vs just saying 18 and under or 21 and under, is that generally kids 10 and younger seem to contract and spread at lower levels, while 10 and older seem to be fairly close to the same levels as adults.

Of course, the other problem with that is that kids were, in most cases, the most protected age group in our society in terms of isolation and minimizing exposure, so I think some caution still needs to be taken into consideration when looking at those numbers.

One more point about this: I might feel more reassured about the lesser relative danger to children if there were any proven scientific explanations for it. Instead everything I've read involves a lot of hypotheses about T-cells and kids being exposed to other coronaviruses and such. Or, as @acarey50 says, it may just be because we've done a better job of socially distancing our kids. The point is, we don't really know, and until we do we should proceed carefully and not jump to conclusions.

I was reading something recently about how, in previous epidemics such as the Philadelphia yellow-fever outbreak of 1793, there was a mistaken belief that African Americans were somehow less affected by the disease. As a result they were recruited as caregivers for sick white patients, with disastrous results. Obviously, this is not the exact same thing, but one common thread that worries me is the potential for motivated reasoning. Benjamin Rush wanted to believe blacks were immune because he desperately needed nurses to care for patients; by the same token, we should make sure we're not convincing ourselves that children are safe just because we're so eager to have schools reopen.

To be fair, the opposite can also be true. We shouldn't seize on every data point indicating that children can get sick as "proof" that schools should remain closed forever. The difference, though, is that it makes more sense to err on the side of caution. I honestly don't know how much risk I would be putting on my kids to send them to in-person schooling, and while I'm open to whatever the data may ultimately show, in the meantime I'm not looking to play Russian Roulette with their health (or mine). 

One more point about this: I might feel more reassured about the lesser relative danger to children if there were any proven scientific explanations for it. Instead everything I've read involves a lot of hypotheses about T-cells and kids being exposed to other coronaviruses and such. Or, as @acarey50 says, it may just be because we've done a better job of socially distancing our kids. The point is, we don't really know, and until we do we should proceed carefully and not jump to conclusions.

I was reading something recently about how, in previous epidemics such as the Philadelphia yellow-fever outbreak of 1793, there was a mistaken belief that African Americans were somehow less affected by the disease. As a result they were recruited as caregivers for sick white patients, with disastrous results. Obviously, this is not the exact same thing, but one common thread that worries me is the potential for motivated reasoning. Benjamin Rush wanted to believe blacks were immune because he desperately needed nurses to care for patients; by the same token, we should make sure we're not convincing ourselves that children are safe just because we're so eager to have schools reopen.

To be fair, the opposite can also be true. We shouldn't seize on every data point indicating that children can get sick as "proof" that schools should remain closed forever. The difference, though, is that it makes more sense to err on the side of caution. I honestly don't know how much risk I would be putting on my kids to send them to in-person schooling, and while I'm open to whatever the data may ultimately show, in the meantime I'm not looking to play Russian Roulette with their health (or mine). 
I'm going to generalized based only on anecdotal evidence (and not a whole a lot of it) so take it for what it is worth.

In my experience these past few months caregivers, whether parents of children or children of elderly parents tend to take social distancing more seriously than empty nesters (without their own health issues) or other groups that are more "just taking care of themselves".   While I don't have evidence to support this idea other than those people I know or know of, it does make some intuitive sense to me.  That is for caregivers it is generally less concern about "rights" and more about "responsibility".   That they prioritize keeping themselves healthy so they can care for those they love.  The more I think about it this is one of those things that I could probably never prove but just know must be true at some level.   Or maybe I just need  it to be true.

I am a teacher in Kansas and we are having our first day of meetings( kids come next monday) I am in a classroom right now with 17 other teachers... 7 are wearing masks. We are doomed.
My friend works for a Catholic School who are unfortunately using this as a recruiting opportunity. She was just informed that all the teachers will be required to attend a 4 day retreat the week before school opens. I do not understand how people are this dumb. 

My friend works for a Catholic School who are unfortunately using this as a recruiting opportunity. She was just informed that all the teachers will be required to attend a 4 day retreat the week before school opens. I do not understand how people are this dumb. 
Sounds like they might be related to the folks running my office who think it's a good idea to continue doing potlucks in the conference room

Before the pandemic learning remotely wasn't only acceptable, it was encouraged.  Then there's the home schooled kids that generally excel in every category.  Now though, it's in person learning immediately or your kid is going to be an idiot.  EVERYTHING has to be political.  EVERYTHING.

Before the pandemic learning remotely wasn't only acceptable, it was encouraged.  Then there's the home schooled kids that generally excel in every category.  Now though, it's in person learning immediately or your kid is going to be an idiot.  EVERYTHING has to be political.  EVERYTHING.
To be fair, one of the biggest problems with distance learning is that it exacerbates inequality. Well-off, highly educated parents -- the type that would be able to set up their own home-schooling program -- should do fine with distance learning. Low-income families -- who may not have reliable devices or Internet connections, and whose parents may not be at home because they work essential jobs -- could fall farther behind.  Also, special needs children of all income levels could have particular troubles.

So I don't think we should dismiss the costs of schools moving fully virtual. We just have to balance them against the health risks to students, teachers, staff and the broader community of keeping schools open. And we should also be angry that politicians have failed us by putting us in this position.

To be fair, one of the biggest problems with distance learning is that it exacerbates inequality. Well-off, highly educated parents -- the type that would be able to set up their own home-schooling program -- should do fine with distance learning. Low-income families -- who may not have reliable devices or Internet connections, and whose parents may not be at home because they work essential jobs -- could fall farther behind.  Also, special needs children of all income levels could have particular troubles.

So I don't think we should dismiss the costs of schools moving fully virtual. We just have to balance them against the health risks to students, teachers, staff and the broader community of keeping schools open. And we should also be angry that politicians have failed us by putting us in this position.
Yes, it is a huge advantage for the smart kids with reliable tech. I have done homebound instruction before. This is when a kid is hurt or sick and can't attend school for a long period of time. The teachers send their work home and a teacher is assigned to work with the kid a couple hours a week at their house. One kid I had was a genius. I would give him his geometry work, come back the next week and ask if he needed help. He said "nope, easy stuff. I have actually moved past where the teacher was since it's all so easy." Basically all I did for the kid was sit there and administer his tests to ensure he wasn't cheating. This kid would be fine in any kind of learning environment. I have also worked homebound with kids who it took the full 2 hours for them to sort of understand 1 or 2 simple theorems. Those kids are in deep #### with remote learning. 

We just got notification via text that one of the Cherokee County High Schools (Etowah HS) is closed to in-person for the next 2.5 weeks.  This was one of the schools in the news for having photos of large groups of kids together without masks.  That school has 14 confirmed cases, 15 tests out and 300 students and staff in quarantine.

Yes, it is a huge advantage for the smart kids with reliable tech. I have done homebound instruction before. This is when a kid is hurt or sick and can't attend school for a long period of time. The teachers send their work home and a teacher is assigned to work with the kid a couple hours a week at their house. One kid I had was a genius. I would give him his geometry work, come back the next week and ask if he needed help. He said "nope, easy stuff. I have actually moved past where the teacher was since it's all so easy." Basically all I did for the kid was sit there and administer his tests to ensure he wasn't cheating. This kid would be fine in any kind of learning environment. I have also worked homebound with kids who it took the full 2 hours for them to sort of understand 1 or 2 simple theorems. Those kids are in deep #### with remote learning. 
Also, I saw first-hand last spring the opposite risk with my then-9 year old. He's incredibly smart, but I think all the teachers were encouraged to go lowest common denominator and make sure they didn't try to overwhelm the struggling kids. So he did fine with distance learning, but I'm worried we may not be pushing him as much as he needs.

Also, I saw first-hand last spring the opposite risk with my then-9 year old. He's incredibly smart, but I think all the teachers were encouraged to go lowest common denominator and make sure they didn't try to overwhelm the struggling kids. So he did fine with distance learning, but I'm worried we may not be pushing him as much as he needs.
Yeah that was absolutely the case. We were instructed to basically only cover the most essential content and trim things down so it was manageable for everyone. We didn't want to overwhelm any students or families during the uncertainty of the pandemic. I think now that we all have unfortunately become somewhat comfortable with the current state of things, teachers will be more willing to challenge kids. 

Yeah that was absolutely the case. We were instructed to basically only cover the most essential content and trim things down so it was manageable for everyone. We didn't want to overwhelm any students or families during the uncertainty of the pandemic. I think now that we all have unfortunately become somewhat comfortable with the current state of things, teachers will be more willing to challenge kids. 
Fingers crossed.

I am generally hopeful that this fall will be much different from the spring, not only in terms of quality but also in terms of consistency. My younger son was in a pre-K class with an absolutely wonderful teacher, but she was in her 60s and simply couldn't adapt to the new technological reality. For the first month, she barely did anything, and when she finally did put together some Zooms, they tended to be of the "Can everyone please mute themselves?" variety. I don't blame her, but it was frustrating. I hope that teachers like her will be getting a lot more support this fall.

Good points  :thumbup:

I'm not advocating for remote learning now and forever.  The smartest minds are saying we should have a vaccine next year.   Absolutely nobody knows what the long term consequences of getting this is yet.  I think it's better to remote learn as much as possible until then.  My biggest fear is that in 5-20 years from now we have millions of Americans, and people around the world for that matter, that have serious health problems from contracting the virus.  We need to err on the side of caution IMO.

Good points  :thumbup:

I'm not advocating for remote learning now and forever.  The smartest minds are saying we should have a vaccine next year.   Absolutely nobody knows what the long term consequences of getting this is yet.  I think it's better to remote learn as much as possible until then.  My biggest fear is that in 5-20 years from now we have millions of Americans, and people around the world for that matter, that have serious health problems from contracting the virus.  We need to err on the side of caution IMO.
Short-term I generally agree with you. Medium- to long-term, we need to get caseloads way down, implement widespread testing and contact tracing, allocate money to schools, and ensure that they can reopen safely. The only reason we're facing this Sophie's Choice is because we've spent the past six months screwing our virus response up so badly. Other countries have done all these things despite not having a vaccine. It's not impossible.

Short-term I generally agree with you. Medium- to long-term, we need to get caseloads way down, implement widespread testing and contact tracing, allocate money to schools, and ensure that they can reopen safely. The only reason we're facing this Sophie's Choice is because we've spent the past six months screwing our virus response up so badly. Other countries have done all these things despite not having a vaccine. It's not impossible.
Agree 100% with all of this. :(

Fingers crossed.

I am generally hopeful that this fall will be much different from the spring, not only in terms of quality but also in terms of consistency. My younger son was in a pre-K class with an absolutely wonderful teacher, but she was in her 60s and simply couldn't adapt to the new technological reality. For the first month, she barely did anything, and when she finally did put together some Zooms, they tended to be of the "Can everyone please mute themselves?" variety. I don't blame her, but it was frustrating. I hope that teachers like her will be getting a lot more support this fall.
My roommate was a teacher of 3-4 year olds at a university-based preschool in spring. For about 6 weeks in March and April, she and her aides did about as good a job as possible with zoom lessons for the 16 or so students. She sent lesson plans and materials in advance so the parents could assist. Some kids had short attention spans and were not receptive to virtual lessons. Others did well.  When the school closed in May, since parents didn't wanna pay $1,400 or more for virtual lessons, she started private zoom lessons, at their insistence, with 5 kids, 1 or 2 at a time, 30 to 40 minutes, and was very successful in several pre-k readiness topics, including phonics, subitizing and even robotics using ozobot, which was the Friday fun lesson that develops algorithmic type skills in theory. She delivered a box of materials to their homes, since manipulatives are important at that age. These kids and parents were the best and most motivated, so it might not transfer to other kids. Actually, there was one kid whose parents would rent a room twice a week for lessons. She just started a job at a YWCA that has more secure funding than most private preschools. Next year, she'll be a public school teacher.

We just got notification via text that one of the Cherokee County High Schools (Etowah HS) is closed to in-person for the next 2.5 weeks.  This was one of the schools in the news for having photos of large groups of kids together without masks.  That school has 14 confirmed cases, 15 tests out and 300 students and staff in quarantine.
Yeah...that's going to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread