What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Calvin Johnson 2010 (1 Viewer)

Will Calvin progress or regress?

• Progress

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regress

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MrSoup

Footballguy
Pros

- The Detroit Lions added plenty of new weapons this offseason.

- Still at only age 24, soon to be 25, Calvin is already entering his 4th season in the NFL.

- Everybody already knows about his freakish size/speed/skillset combination.

- Has flashed Top 5 ability already.

- Stafford should only get better, right?

- He gets to face Peanut Tillman twice.

Cons

- His freakish physical abilities get him into injury trouble. Goes up super high to get the ball, and sometimes comes down hard and awkwardly on the Lions playturf.

- Stafford should only get better, right? No guarantees.

- The Bears, Packers, and Vikings should all have above average pass rushes this season.

- Has always had a low catch %.

- Basically, it all boils down to whether or not you think Stafford will get the ball into Calvin's hands.

Feel free to add anymore Pros and/or Cons, because I'm sure I haven't even mentioned many key points.

I know a lot of "experts" love Calvin this year, but I would like to hear the consensus of the Shark Pool.

I want to know if it is worth paying the price for this guy in a trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't even get 1,000 yards last year. I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks he will regress in 2010.

I think Detroit is the next team that will come from nowhere and compete for a playoff spot. They have one of the better DL's in the game, a very good QB with a season under his belt, a young, explosive RB, one of the best WR's in the league. I think they are an 8 win team.

Calvin will be a big part of that. I say "buy".

I think Detroit is the next team that will come from nowhere and compete for a playoff spot. They have one of the better DL's in the game, a very good QB with a season under his belt, a young, explosive RB, one of the best WR's in the league. I think they are an 8 win team.Calvin will be a big part of that. I say "buy".
Playoffs????? No way.

I think Detroit is the next team that will come from nowhere and compete for a playoff spot. They have one of the better DL's in the game, a very good QB with a season under his belt, a young, explosive RB, one of the best WR's in the league. I think they are an 8 win team.Calvin will be a big part of that. I say "buy".
Playoffs????? No way.
Bears and Lions will battle for last in that divisionLions are 2-30 the last two years

Pros

- The Detroit Lions added plenty of new weapons this offseason.

- Still at only age 24, soon to be 25, Calvin is already entering his 4th season in the NFL.

- Everybody already knows about his freakish size/speed/skillset combination.

- Has flashed Top 5 ability already.

- Stafford should only get better, right?

- He gets to face Peanut Tillman twice.

Cons

- His freakish physical abilities get him into injury trouble. Goes up super high to get the ball, and sometimes comes down hard and awkwardly on the Lions playturf.

- Stafford should only get better, right? No guarantees.

- The Bears, Packers, and Vikings should all have above average pass rushes this season.

- Has always had a low catch %.

- Basically, it all boils down to whether or not you think Stafford will get the ball into Calvin's hands.

Feel free to add anymore Pros and/or Cons, because I'm sure I haven't even mentioned many key points.

I know a lot of "experts" love Calvin this year, but I would like to hear the consensus of the Shark Pool.

I want to know if it is worth paying the price for this guy in a trade.
His price may be too high, but I like Calvin this year, as DET offense is going to be better. Stafford is in his 2nd year, Best will totally help the running game, and they added Burelson and Scheffler.He has had a low catch % due to being more a deep threat and less of a possession receiver. With Stafford improving at QB, I can see Calvin's catch % climb to 60%.

DET defense is still weak and DET will have to score a lot to keep up.

So I like Calvin this year as at top 10 WR with top 5 WR upside.

I think Detroit is the next team that will come from nowhere and compete for a playoff spot. They have one of the better DL's in the game, a very good QB with a season under his belt, a young, explosive RB, one of the best WR's in the league. I think they are an 8 win team.
I don't know if they will win enough games for a playoff spot, but I think they will take a big step forward this year. If they do win enough games for a playoff spot, I think that would be awesome.

Playoffs????? No way.
Bears and Lions will battle for last in that divisionLions are 2-30 the last two years
I said compete for a playoff spot - i.e. 8-8, in the running for the last WC until the last few weeks.

Playoffs????? No way.
I said compete for a playoff spot - i.e. 8-8, in the running for the last WC until the last few weeks.
Sorry, Moleclo.........this was more geared toward the diehard bears fan.I believe DET will make huge strides this year, but may be a year away from making a playoff run.GB/MIN are just too strong this year.

Stafford is a player. There is no reason to think that, as Stafford becomes more seasoned, that Calvin won't approach his full potential.

Add in Jahvid Best and Burleson to keep defenses honest....I think Calvin has a real opportunity to eclipse his 2008 numbers. He's the best bet, IMO, to unseat AJ this year as WR1.

He didn't even get 1,000 yards last year. I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks he will regress in 2010.
I do. He is very soft. Has no heart. Plus Detroit has a few other receiving options now. I think 65 catches 6 TDs and 850 yardage.
Would you predict career lows for no apparent reason if you weren't a Bears fan?
Ha. Wondered if anyone was going to call me out on that :popcorn:But seriously, I stand by my prediction. He is WAYYYY overvalued IMO. I live in Michigan and almost all of the radio on air personalities agree that he is soft. Look like Tarzan play like Jane syndrome.The Bears are crap this year too BTW.

I do. He is very soft. Has no heart. Plus Detroit has a few other receiving options now. I think 65 catches 6 TDs and 850 yardage.
Would you predict career lows for no apparent reason if you weren't a Bears fan?
Ha. Wondered if anyone was going to call me out on that :shrug:But seriously, I stand by my prediction. He is WAYYYY overvalued IMO. I live in Michigan and almost all of the radio on air personalities agree that he is soft. Look like Tarzan play like Jane syndrome.The Bears are crap this year too BTW.
Complete BS. Never have I heard any Detroit beat writers or on-air sports personalities call him soft, I listen to 1130am and 1270am every day. He played with a serious back injury most of his rookie season and almost got addicted to pain killers just so he could suit up every week. He is a quiet guy, but not even remotely close to "soft". Only way he finishes with less yds/td's this year is due to injury.

Ha. Wondered if anyone was going to call me out on that :shrug:But seriously, I stand by my prediction. He is WAYYYY overvalued IMO. I live in Michigan and almost all of the radio on air personalities agree that he is soft. Look like Tarzan play like Jane syndrome.The Bears are crap this year too BTW.
I think the point is, even if you think he's soft, he used to be soft and in worse circumstances. Now he's soft and in better circumstances, so why would his production decline?

Detroit needs to get this guys some real, soft grass to play on. Hard turf just kills this guy.

Calvin's 2009 splits with Matthew Stafford at QB:

NO- 3 for 90

MIN- 5 for 51 1 TD

WAS- 5 for 49

CHI- 8 for 133

SEA- 2 for 27

MIN- 8 for 84

CLE- 7 for 161 and 1 TD

GB- 2 for 10 1 TD

CIN- 6 for 123 1 TD

46 receptions for 728 yards and 4 TDs in just 9 games together (averages to 5.1 receptions, 80.8 yards, and .44 TDs per game). Pretty solid baseline numbers for a rookie QB throwing to his banged up WR1. I think you can (and should) expect those numbers to increase in year two.

He seems to have a good year, then a down year or atleast that seems the path he is on. In any case, this is suppose to be his good year lol

Users who are viewing this thread