What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

(Baby Formula Shortage): Biden ADMITS He Knew Of Crisis In Early April (4/27/22 23:53 PST) (2 Viewers)

When was baby food invented, and how did babies survive before that?

I would have guessed 1940s or 1950s, but it turns out it was more in the 1920s and 1930s.

In any case, the idea that anybody is going to starve because there isn't any food available that is specifically labeled "baby food" is dumb. There are lots and lots and lots of foods that babies can eat that aren't manufactured by Gerber.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have guessed 1940s or 1950s, but it turns out it was more in the 1920s and 1930s.

In any case, the idea that anybody is going to starve because there isn't any food available that is specifically labeled "baby food" is dumb. There are lots and lots and lots of foods that babies can eat that aren't manufactured by Gerber.
You had a collic baby I see.   Or a baby who can't consume lactose.

He does that all the time. Did it in the LGBTQRSVP thread a while back. Makes wild claims, provides links without reading them, half the time they say the opposite. Better to just put him on ignore.  
I answered his question. Of course it’s completely absurd. If somebody asked to leave and return to his place of origin (thousands of miles away) the authorities wouldn’t believe him. They will still ONLY let you out based on the rules I posted. It’s very clear. If you don’t want to accept it based on some fantasy that you and @John123 have about illegals being able to deport themselves that’s on you. But just know that if you take away formula from these people’s children they will starve. 

Civil War references aside, I would suggest that the key question of the Biden administration providing formula to migrants largely rests on what sort of stockpile the Federal Government has.  I've seen pictures of pallets of the stuff on social media, but without context I don't know if that is just a few days worth of supply for those in their custody, or several months?  The US Government presumably has contracts with the manufacturers and will probably be first in line for shipments.  If they are sitting with months' worth of the stuff, it would be pretty unconscionable for them to not dip into the surplus to help out Americans who are in dire need.  If it's more of a just in time situation, it's sort of unreasonable to suggest they don't feed the children who are hungry and in their charge.

Regardless, the little I've read of this that we have the major US factory shut down for months and yet are still refusing to allow reputable, safe formula from Canada and the EU to be imported as the shortage worsens...  I'd like to say it's unbelievable, but unfortunately it seems par for the course anymore.

Regardless, the little I've read of this that we have the major US factory shut down for months and yet are still refusing to allow reputable, safe formula from Canada and the EU to be imported as the shortage worsens...  I'd like to say it's unbelievable, but unfortunately it seems par for the course anymore.
I mentioned yesterday that I found this story literally unbelievable when I first encountered it.  Not unbelievable in a "wow, that's really wild" sense, but unbelievable in a "this sounds suspiciously like fake news" sense.  But I was in the later stages of a 30-hour power outage caused by ~100 mph straight-line winds and I couldn't be arsed to type all that out on my phone.  Now I've got my desktop machine back and I can blather away.

First of all, why would there even be a shortage of formula?  This is an extremely well-established market with highly stable and predictable demand (for obvious reasons).  I don't know much about the manufacturing process, but I don't recall hearing about formula shortages during the pandemic, so I take it that this industry isn't subject to the supply chain disruptions that we saw in other sectors.  Now you're telling me that all of the sudden there's a nationwide shortage?  Yeah, right buddy.  

Oh, wait, regulators shut down a major manufacturing plant?  Okay, that makes sense.  I get why we want to infant formula to be safe and uncontaminated.  But government regulators generally aren't objectively stupid people.  They know perfectly well that you can't just shutter a large percentage of our production capacity and expect things to keep humming along.  And it would be political suicide to an administration to create a shortage of infant formula -- literally the thing that keeps infants alive, and everybody likes infants and mothers -- without having a solution in their back pocket.  You're telling me they shut this plant down months ago and just sat there doing nothing?  Come on.  That's not even remotely credible.

Okay, so they did shut the plant down and they did just sit there doing nothing.  Maybe I need to update my priors again on the competence of this administration.  And after covid, why do I still cling to this belief that government regulators aren't objectively stupid?  Am I really that blind?  Did I forget the last two years?  Oh well.  Now that they see what an obvious political liability this is, they'll work to fix this thing on the supply end.  Maybe they just re-open the offending plant.  Hey, it's better to have formula that we're 99.9% sure about than to have infants starve to death.  Or maybe they get the FDA to listen to reason (ha ha) and loosen up on imports from sketchy, lightly-regulated parts of the world like [checks notes] Europe.  That's what any competent administration would do, not just this one.  You want me to believe that they know there's a shortage and they know how to fix it and they're intentionally not selecting any of those fixes?  Not credible. You had me going there for a while, but this is obviously fake.  

And there's just no way that any administration would earmark this formula -- which I'm supposed to believe is in a crisis-stage level of shortage -- for illegal detainees.  The campaign ads write themselves: single black mom in Newark can't feed her kid because Biden sent all the formula to the border; second-gen Latino family in Albuquerque is now food-insecure because Biden sent all the formula to the border; hard working salt-of-the-earth white family in Akron . . . you get it.  Creating a shortage of formula is bad enough, but no American administration anywhere would take formula out of the hands of American parents to distribute it to people who came here illegally.  This is how you create a multiracial coalition that is united around the sole purpose of hating you.  They'd find some other non-suicidal solution first. 

Right?  This isn't real, is it? 

Setting aside the whole baby formula issue itself for a moment, I am extremely disturbed on a personal epistemic level by this story.  I absolutely 100% would have dumped this story into my mental spam folder reserved for fake news with barely a second thought.  If people like tim or some of the other regulars around here had argued that this story wasn't real or was wildly exaggerated or something, I probably would have been inclined to believe them, and I'd have to go back on the people who make up my little information bubble and check to see how they got taken in by an obviously made-up story.  

The fact that this obvious fake news story is real makes me wonder how I'm supposed to filter out the fake made-up stuff from real news.  Keeping in mind that we're living in a world where the Washington Post thinks that apartheid-era South Africa was deeply committed to a radical vision of free and unfettered speech, the New York Times goes around doxxing obscure bloggers, and CNN is whatever CNN is these days.  I obviously can't rely on those folks, and now I see that I can't rely on my own BS filters as well as I thought I could.  This really bothers me.  A lot.  

The mindset seems to be no, let the infants starve to death so we can direct what little baby formula is being used for the undocumented (even though they have no other way of obtaining it while in detention) in favor of the "more deserving" actual American citizens, who actually can in theory make their own formula from links I am seeing on Twitter with photos of ads from 1960 (disclaimer I don't how safe that is in 2022)

https://twitter.com/AmericaPlayed1/status/1523995268882042881

I read one page of this thread and this is not the take away I had from any of the posts.  You should stop this, you do nothing but partisan hack posting.  If you actually wanted to have a conversation about the issues with people you would see that posters don't want anyone to starve.  Their solution was to cut any bureaucratic red tape and allow detainees at the border to return to their home country without further detention so that they can obtain any necessities that the require to feed their children.  This would free up current supply for US citizens.      

Such a complex story - and really sad to see people using it to score political points.  

2 points I haven't seen touched on:

1. Are we really at the "deadly" stage of the crisis?  I get that people are overpaying, that many stores are running low or running out, but are babies really starving?  If they aren't starving (which I don't think is happening yet), then of course baby formula will be provided to "illegals" being detained.  I don't think the government is in the business of starving their detainees to death.   How is this even a question?  There are no babies that are actually dying in middle America, right?  So at this point it's probably best to move away from the "omg the us government is feeding illegals" line of reasoning because if that's your viewpoint, you seem heartless.

2. Second point - It really annoys me to do a google search of "make your own baby formula" and see every expert out there on every site imploring people NOT to make their own baby formula.  Look I get it, people are covering their own butts.  No one wants to be the expert that says "here's how to do it" and then someone claims their baby died due to the formula.  But at some point people need to actually think.  Every single expert says "improper baby formula mixing can lead to nutrition deficiencies"  No duh brainiac, but you know what's worse?  No baby formula and total nutrition deficiency.  I think in the midst of a shortage it might be a good idea to give the general public an idea of a safe way to feed your baby that doesn't involve massive corporations using packaged formula.  I know how rotten the food chain is in the ol USA so don't even try to convince me that these big corporations are the only ones who know how to properly feed babies.   

I mean look at the ingredients of baby formula: (Nonfat Milk, Lactose, High Oleic Safflower Oil, Whey Protein Concentrate, Soy Oil, Coconut Oil, Human Milk Oligosaccharides (2'-fucosyllactose, Lacto-N-Tetraose, 3-Fucosyllactose, 6'-Sialyllactose, 3'-Sialyllactose)*. Less than 2% of: C. Cohnii Oil†, M. Alpina Oil‡, Beta-Carotene, Lutein, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, Ascorbic Acid, Soy Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Bitartrate, Choline Chloride, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Salt, Taurine, Inositol, Zinc Sulfate, Mixed Tocopherols, d-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Palmitate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Phylloquinone, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Iodide, Potassium Hydroxide, and Nucleotides (Adenosine 5'-Monophosphate, Cytidine 5'-Monophosphate, Disodium Guanosine 5'-Monophosphate, Disodium Uridine 5'-Monophosphate).)

Not buying it.  Help people make their own. It can't be that difficult, these aren't alien life forms, they are little humans living in a world with an unbelievable variety of food accessible on every street corner.  So annoying.

2. Second point - It really annoys me to do a google search of "make your own baby formula" and see every expert out there on every site imploring people NOT to make their own baby formula.  Look I get it, people are covering their own butts.  No one wants to be the expert that says "here's how to do it" and then someone claims their baby died due to the formula.  But at some point people need to actually think.  Every single expert says "improper baby formula mixing can lead to nutrition deficiencies"  No duh brainiac, but you know what's worse?  No baby formula and total nutrition deficiency.  I think in the midst of a shortage it might be a good idea to give the general public an idea of a safe way to feed your baby that doesn't involve massive corporations using packaged formula.  I know how rotten the food chain is in the ol USA so don't even try to convince me that these big corporations are the only ones who know how to properly feed babies.   

If only women has some way to feed their children without having to use baby formula.  

Second point - It really annoys me to do a google search of "make your own baby formula" and see every expert out there on every site imploring people NOT to make their own baby formula.
It's been a while since my kids were that age.  I can understand why an individual family might not be ready to jump into the make your own stage yet.  Depending how bad this crisis actually is, though, I'd likely be jumping into the "just in case, let's see what all is involved in making your own, and maybe make plans to do so in the future" stage, though.

On the "expert" level, seems like it would be prudent to go with the "this isn't for the faint of heart, but if you have to go down this road, here's the best way to do so safely" angle.

Such a complex story - and really sad to see people using it to score political points.  

2 points I haven't seen touched on:

1. Are we really at the "deadly" stage of the crisis?  I get that people are overpaying, that many stores are running low or running out, but are babies really starving?  If they aren't starving (which I don't think is happening yet), then of course baby formula will be provided to "illegals" being detained.  I don't think the government is in the business of starving their detainees to death.   How is this even a question?  There are no babies that are actually dying in middle America, right?  So at this point it's probably best to move away from the "omg the us government is feeding illegals" line of reasoning because if that's your viewpoint, you seem heartless.

There are stories of people having to drive around for hours to find formula.  That may not be babies dieing shortage levels but it seems to me that if I had a baby I'd be pretty concerned about that level of uncertainty about obtaining food for my baby.  And will the next time be even harder to find food?

There are stories of people having to drive around for hours to find formula.  That may not be babies dieing shortage levels but it seems to me that if I had a baby I'd be pretty concerned about that level of uncertainty about obtaining food for my baby.  And will the next time be even harder to find food?

Bottomline is this is unacceptable...this BS happens in Venezuela not this country...figure it the hell out or step aside and let someone who can do it.

I read one page of this thread and this is not the take away I had from any of the posts.  You should stop this, you do nothing but partisan hack posting.  If you actually wanted to have a conversation about the issues with people you would see that posters don't want anyone to starve.  Their solution was to cut any bureaucratic red tape and allow detainees at the border to return to their home country without further detention so that they can obtain any necessities that the require to feed their children.  This would free up current supply for US citizens.      

That is my take and I have to laugh about you accusing others of "partisan hack posting" without any apparent sense of irony. 😄

Bottomline is this is unacceptable...this BS happens in Venezuela not this country...figure it the hell out or step aside and let someone who can do it.
Yep.  This is exactly the sort of non-ideological "just make things work properly" issue that I grew weary of during the Trump years.  I didn't expect that Biden would screw this stuff up too.

The fact that this obvious fake news story is real makes me wonder how I'm supposed to filter out the fake made-up stuff from real news.  .....  This really bothers me.  A lot.  

This is more than a fair question about the media industry and how functional media optics works. At some point, I may start a top level thread talking about some of this stuff in more detail.

Some light points though for now

1) The closer you are to the ground, the cleaner the news tends to be. For example, while the activist complicit left leaning radical MSM operates a certain way, it's much harder to exert that kind of pressure on a small local news channel/outlet.

Getting ratings for "opinion" based programming is monumentally difficult. I know some people don't like Rush Limbaugh, sometimes I also found him exhausting, but to be able to do what Limbaugh or David Letterman does and did, hold an audience with just a desk and a microphone, is insanely complicated and nuanced.

Up the food chain, you get access to filtered through talent and can make this work, like Fox's The Five or Rachel Maddow. Down the chain, the competitive logistics of the environment creates a much different culture/functionality

2) "Clean" news is like slop in a bowl. Like the "Tasty Wheat" in The Matrix. It has everything you need in the most technical sense nutrient wise, but it's tasteless and a type of mental attrition.

For example, lots of people don't like my posts, they don't like how they are structured, the length, the formatting, the personal viewpoints I have, in fact lots of people here clearly want me silenced for good, but the material is never boring. Making complex topics into layman's terms that flows and paces well isn't a natural skill.

This is why politics in the MSM almost operates like a "team sport"

3) The monetization/marketing shifts in the media industry has made a very "top heavy" environment. The ranks of the lower levels of the news industry has been purged and downsized beyond measure. That's not good for helping the average American understand what's happening on the ground. Someone like Andy Ngo is basically treated like an outcast terrorist in today's media world. Actual journalism in today's media market is essentially an act of rebellion at this stage.

There would be more practical "clean" information passed around if that kind of participation/discussion/talk/engagement was generally rewarded. But it's not. Look here in the PSF, high value posting behavior is not rewarded at all. Which is why so many good quality posters likely left in all the years I was gone. I don't even look at my PMs anymore really because I get some pretty ugly messages left for me over my politics. In lockstep, social media does not reward quality discussion.

The same reason that Bill Simmon's Grantland failed and the complexity behind it is also sort of a test case why high level political discussion doesn't happen in most public scenarios.

You've brought up a pretty interesting complex topic. I might start a top level thread on it at some point, or you can do so yourself. Just be clear about the reality of it, the closer you get to the truth, the more you will be attacked and some people will want to silence you.

The best media optics people in the industry all have one simple thing in common  - They understand that their feelings don't need to be validated. Donald Trump doesn't win 2016 POTUS without Mark Burnett behind the scenes. Burnett doesn't care about how he feels about Trump personally and he doesn't care about what he might want people to feel or not feel about Trump. Feelings get turned off. All that matters is the reality on the ground. As a lawyer, I only have one client - myself. But for all other lawyers here, the initial game is the same. You tell your client to tell you the deal upfront. Don't leave something out that is going to surprise me later because you are ashamed to reveal it. If I know right now, I can work the situation. If I get blindsided, I can't control the spin down the road after I've tried to set a certain path/narrative.

The FBG analyst I admire and respect the most is @Jene Bramel  The guy is a stone cold professional. There isn't a more valuable asset in any place online that deals with professional sports in any context. What I really admire about Bramel is he always separates his own individual fandom versus his obligation to help people win their leagues  ( i.e. IIRC he's a Bengals fan and he always cites his own potential bias in his ratings, i.e. "I like this guy a lot but I'm a personal fan and that might sway me, but you have to do what's right for your team to win, etc")  I also laugh when he rolls out a STEM type joke "Be Patiently Aggressive, everyone...." But I'm a mathematics guy at heart so I get that. Bramel knows when to turn off how he feels for a greater overall purpose and obligation. This is what makes him one of the best analysts. I call everyone out. When people do something bad, I say it. When people do things excellent like Bramel, I say that too.

If you want to understand, as an individual, how to filter through signal to noise, you have to learn to turn off your own feelings, your own biases, your own habits, your own life experiences, everything that puts you in front of yourself.

Totally agree with this, and I've noticed it more and more across American society in the last decade.  Not sure if it's just lawyerly cya or what, but the general infantilization of the average American is really frustrating : don't try to fix anything yourself, because unless you're an expert you'll just make everything worse.

Yep.  This is exactly the sort of non-ideological "just make things work properly" issue that I grew weary of during the Trump years.  I didn't expect that Biden would screw this stuff up too.
The thing is, it seems like there's very little focus on the day-to-day stuff that is required for society to run, and instead it's all culture war or flashy global issues, and this goes for both sides.  I'm reminded of a substack I was reading the other day where someone was complaining that their small town has a comprehensive climate change plan, and yet was at risk of losing some federal funding because it had taken them 7 years to actually install bike racks.

Okay, so they did shut the plant down and they did just sit there doing nothing.
Without looking anything up, my guess is that the FDA is charged with shutting down plants under certain conditions but has no authority to arrange for alternative ways of satisfying demand. Meanwhile, the obvious solutions to the supply problems are to (a) allow imports, especially from Europe, and (b) have more competing plants in the U.S. I don't know why we're not doing those things, but to the extent that the government is the problem (which, without looking anything up, I'd guess that it probably is), it may require a legislative solution rather than any unilateral action by the FDA.

I mean look at the ingredients of baby formula: (Nonfat Milk, Lactose, High Oleic Safflower Oil, Whey Protein Concentrate, Soy Oil, Coconut Oil, Human Milk Oligosaccharides (2'-fucosyllactose, Lacto-N-Tetraose, 3-Fucosyllactose, 6'-Sialyllactose, 3'-Sialyllactose)*. Less than 2% of: C. Cohnii Oil†, M. Alpina Oil‡, Beta-Carotene, Lutein, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, Ascorbic Acid, Soy Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Bitartrate, Choline Chloride, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Salt, Taurine, Inositol, Zinc Sulfate, Mixed Tocopherols, d-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Palmitate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Phylloquinone, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Iodide, Potassium Hydroxide, and Nucleotides (Adenosine 5'-Monophosphate, Cytidine 5'-Monophosphate, Disodium Guanosine 5'-Monophosphate, Disodium Uridine 5'-Monophosphate).)

Not buying it.  Help people make their own. It can't be that difficult, these aren't alien life forms, they are little humans living in a world with an unbelievable variety of food accessible on every street corner. 
Yeah, something along the lines of cow's milk supplemented with fish oil ought to work. Maybe it has to be a little more complicated than that, but probably not much. (I should note, however, that I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

The other obvious solution is to feed them human breast milk. I don't know why that's not available in every grocery store. I'm sure plenty of women could use a little extra dough selling their surplus.

Yeah, something along the lines of cow's milk supplemented with fish oil ought to work. Maybe it has to be a little more complicated than that, but probably not much. (I should note, however, that I have no idea what I'm talking about.)
Googling suggests that it is more complicated than that.

Here's one recipe (from this book)

*Makes 36 ounces

2 cups of whole milk
¼ cup of liquid whey
4 tablespoons of Lactose
¼ teaspoon Bifidobacterium infantis
2 tablespoons of cream
1 teaspoon of cod liver oil
1 teaspoon of unrefined sunflower oil
1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons of coconut oil
2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast flakes
2 teaspoons of gelatin
1 7/8 cups of filtered water
¼ teaspoon of acerola powder

And here's a site offering the added ingredients as a package -- $239 for a one-month supply.

The other obvious solution is to feed them human breast milk. I don't know why that's not available in every grocery store. I'm sure plenty of women could use a little extra dough selling their surplus.
My mother made formula for both my brother and I. That was back in the 50s though. We both turned out alright. Some may argue differently about me though, but my brother definitely is ok.

The mindset seems to be no, let the infants starve to death so we can direct what little baby formula is being used for the undocumented (even though they have no other way of obtaining it while in detention) in favor of the "more deserving" actual American citizens, who actually can in theory make their own formula from links I am seeing on Twitter with photos of ads from 1960 (disclaimer I don't how safe that is in 2022)

https://twitter.com/AmericaPlayed1/status/1523995268882042881
How about baby seats that were basically cardboard boxes  in the front seat?   Or codeine cough syrup?  Or piling 7 person family in a vw rabbit with two kids in the trunk.

We survived lots stuff.    Home made formula is an exceptionally bad idea.

And there's just no way that any administration would earmark this formula -- which I'm supposed to believe is in a crisis-stage level of shortage -- for illegal detainees.
Detention centers should be making their own formula. It may be a pain to do for an individual household with a single infant, but when a detention center has many infants to feed, making large batches of formula with commonly available ingredients seems like the obvious solution. I'm sure there are legal obstacles...

It's extremely  expensive and the screening process increases cost.     It's called human breast milk banks.    they are not everywhere.

Googling suggests that it is more complicated than that.

Here's one recipe (from this book)

*Makes 36 ounces

2 cups of whole milk
¼ cup of liquid whey
4 tablespoons of Lactose
¼ teaspoon Bifidobacterium infantis
2 tablespoons of cream
1 teaspoon of cod liver oil
1 teaspoon of unrefined sunflower oil
1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons of coconut oil
2 teaspoons of Frontier brand nutritional yeast flakes
2 teaspoons of gelatin
1 7/8 cups of filtered water
¼ teaspoon of acerola powder

And here's a site offering the added ingredients as a package -- $239 for a one-month supply.
Any recipes for lactose intolerance?

Also does that formula meet required vitamins enzymes and minerals?

Baby food is fine to make. Infant formula is a highly regulated and exceedingly complex formula, that has been carefully balanced and researched for decades by top scientists. Let’s all hope the situation does not get so desperate that people need to make it at home. 🤞🏼

Any recipes for lactose intolerance?

That seems like a rather special case. Off the top of my head, I'd say use lactose-free milk instead of regular whole milk, and add table sugar instead of lactose. Obviously people who are actually in that situation should look around for better info.

That may be persuasive when choosing between DIY formula and commercial formula, but it's not remotely persuasive when choosing between DIY formula and starvation.

Also, come on: "A 4-month-old infant went into multiple episodes of cardiac arrest and suffered brain damage after he’d been fed a concoction made of sea moss, hemp seeds and coconut water for a month."

Obviously there are dumb ways to do it. Don't try to force infants into being vegan. 

How were all the migrants feeding their infants before they came to this great country...weren't they poor and breast feeding.  I know I must be missing something.

That may be persuasive when choosing between DIY formula and commercial formula, but it's not remotely persuasive when choosing between DIY formula and starvation.

Also, come on: "A 4-month-old infant went into multiple episodes of cardiac arrest and suffered brain damage after he’d been fed a concoction made of sea moss, hemp seeds and coconut water for a month."

Obviously there are dumb ways to do it. Don't try to force infants into being vegan. 
Holy ####. This happens?

Right. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to the bolded. In the meantime? Do not make your own, in most all professionals opinions. I think it’s important to listen to the doctors and professionals here. I believe the article even mentions in a roundabout way the recipe you posted.

As for that 4 month old infant, that was certainly dumb of them to both make their own and make it vegan, too. Completely agreed. But even smart people are going to make mistakes there. Also, sourcing completely safe ingredients, different standards of nutrition needed for infants undeveloped systems, and accidentally going over/under on nutrients for periods of time, are just a few major issues with making your own. The list of problems google will spit back at you is quite long.

I agree, at some point parents might need to make their own if this situation gets worse. It’s probably most prudent to wait to that point, though, before we do things that doctors strenuously recommend against.

The voters I talked to within my social circle were the most afraid of a Trump reelection and the end of democracy in America. That threat was proven true by his nefarious attempt to overturn the election.

Without looking anything up, my guess is that the FDA is charged with shutting down plants under certain conditions but has no authority to arrange for alternative ways of satisfying demand. Meanwhile, the obvious solutions to the supply problems are to (a) allow imports, especially from Europe, and (b) have more competing plants in the U.S. I don't know why we're not doing those things, but to the extent that the government is the problem (which, without looking anything up, I'd guess that it probably is), it may require a legislative solution rather than any unilateral action by the FDA.
Yes. The FDA is the regulator and gatekeeper, they have no authority or experience for arranging alternative supply. Another executive branch department, like the US Dept of HHS would probably be a better fit to address supply.

There is a time consuming and costly process initiated by the supplier to enable supply and distribution within the US. The recalls (which were voluntary by the company, not court ordered) were in February. While existing suppliers probably ramped up supply as they were able at that point, it’s pretty clear there just wasn’t the excess capacity available.  

To the extent that government is the problem here, it’s that they very likely didn’t proactively contact alternative suppliers and subsidize the approval process and guarantee purchase of product. This is a case where the free market isn’t going to solve the problem without disruption.

Users who are viewing this thread