What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Avoid Mike Wallace, the Raven? (1 Viewer)

A hit-or-miss guy like this (mostly MISS) cannot be anywhere near your playoff lineups.

I'd feel much worse if he threw up a dud in my lineup than if he explodes on my bench.

Wallace reminds me of VJax, except his dud weeks occur more often (7 weeks of sub 5 points) and his ceiling isn't as high. On a PPG basis Wallace is 43rd.

Avoiding Wallace was indeed the correct call.

Okay, let me start by saying I have wallace in 2 leagues, one where he is my WR2, and another where he is my WR3. I am also a dolphin fan.

With Wallace it simply boils down to coverage and the deep ball connection. Against Pitt they decided that wallace was not going to beat them, so Clay was open all day underneath. Same thing with Hartline. Wallace draws coverage away from them and as long as miami takes their shots down field with him, the offense seems to work.

Now as a fantasy owner, this sucks if wallace is your 1 or 2, but is very nice if he is your 3. Boom bust from wr3 is a nice package and unless you have some better "all day" players (Keenen Allen, Streater, etc) or PPR style TEs (WR/TE leagues or flex) wallace is a great guy to have in the lineup bc Tanny is going to throw 2 or 3 bombs his way. He catches one of them and you win your playoff game most likely.

In terms of him vs Brandon Marshall: Marshall is not a deep threat and was in some trouble down here and was moody towards his young QB. Let's see what happens in Chicago when Cutler is no longer there or they get a rookie QB throwing to him. I also think the fins tend to "jump ship" on WRs too quickly. They need a year or two in a system to pan out properly (V jax and Moss are the exceptions)

Wallace reminds me of VJax, except his dud weeks occur more often (7 weeks of sub 5 points) and his ceiling isn't as high. On a PPG basis Wallace is 43rd.

Avoiding Wallace was indeed the correct call.
I agree that in the end, it was the right call, but the reasons behind his poor showing were not the reasons people avoided him. He's had plus hands throughout his career yet had a lot of drops this season. That alone is very weird. But dropping 12 yard curl patterns didn't kill his value. What really hurt Wallace was atrocious line play which was partially due to the line playing poorly and partially due to losing Pouncey, Martin, and Incognito. Hard for a deep threat to get deep when his QB is getting sacked with the frequency in which Tannehill has been getting sacked (he's leading the league).

So I think a lot of people did the wrong math but got the right answer. And that should be good news to anyone who owns Wallace long term (I don't). If Miami can get the line sorted out and Wallace stops dropping passes, he could easily get right back in the top 12. He and Tannehill have just missed on a handful of deep passes this year. I think that comes with time. They are both young and will be on the same team for at least a few more years. Chemistry and line play will improve.

Okay, let me start by saying I have wallace in 2 leagues, one where he is my WR2, and another where he is my WR3. I am also a dolphin fan.

With Wallace it simply boils down to coverage and the deep ball connection. Against Pitt they decided that wallace was not going to beat them, so Clay was open all day underneath. Same thing with Hartline. Wallace draws coverage away from them and as long as miami takes their shots down field with him, the offense seems to work.

Now as a fantasy owner, this sucks if wallace is your 1 or 2, but is very nice if he is your 3. Boom bust from wr3 is a nice package and unless you have some better "all day" players (Keenen Allen, Streater, etc) or PPR style TEs (WR/TE leagues or flex) wallace is a great guy to have in the lineup bc Tanny is going to throw 2 or 3 bombs his way. He catches one of them and you win your playoff game most likely.

In terms of him vs Brandon Marshall: Marshall is not a deep threat and was in some trouble down here and was moody towards his young QB. Let's see what happens in Chicago when Cutler is no longer there or they get a rookie QB throwing to him. I also think the fins tend to "jump ship" on WRs too quickly. They need a year or two in a system to pan out properly (V jax and Moss are the exceptions)
You see, high variance players are indeed nice to flex at times but that's only a surface argument. Wallace's floor is essentially a WR6 and he'll reach that floor 50% of the time. His ceiling is high but not near high enough to offset that floor.

Again he's 43rd on a PPG basis. He's only had 4 legitimate good games all season and has offset them with utter trash games. I don't care what the reasons are but he is pretty close to unstartable during this final stretch of the playoffs unless you have no other choices/you are a serious underdog (both of these variables will likely go hand in hand).

Rotoworld:

Mike Wallace stressed that he and Ryan Tannehill need to work on their deep-ball chemistry this offseason.
"We have to," Wallace said. "Definitely have got to get the deep ball going. That’s the difference between winning and losing a couple games. I should have had 15 or 20 more touchdowns. And that’s being modest. If you press me, you have no shot to cover me. Once I get you to stop your feet, it’s over." It was glaring to those who watched Dolphins games in 2013 that Wallace and Tannehill had no connection. Tannehill's deep ball needs a lot of work. Per Pro Football Focus, Tannehill completed just 6-of-36 passes that were 20-plus yards downfield intended for Wallace. That was the worst rate in the NFL.

Source: Miami Herald

Dolphins' Mike Wallace: I should've had 15-20 more TDsBy Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

The Miami Dolphins signed Mike Wallace with the hope that he'd be the big-play wide receiver who would take Ryan Tannehill to the next level.

It didn't quite work out that way. Wallace had his moments in his first season in Miami (he finished with 930 yards receiving and five touchdowns), but his production fell well short of expectations -- especially when you factor in his pay grade. Wallace signed a five-year, $60 million contract last March.

Most surprising was the struggle between Wallace and Tannehill to find chemistry on the field. Wallace told The Miami Herald that improvements in that department will begin with extra work in the offseason.

"We have to," Wallace said. "Definitely have got to get the deep ball going. That's the difference between winning and losing a couple games. I should have had 15 or 20 more touchdowns. And that's being modest. If you press me, you have no shot to cover me. Once I get you to stop your feet, it's over."

Wallace's boasts are entertaining, but it's not completely crazy, either. He has the speed and playmaking ability to be the NFL's best deep threat. Will he ever challenge Randy Moss' record of 23 touchdown catches in a season? That's extremely unlikely, but he has the ability to do much more than what we saw in 2013.

We handed out awards for the 2014 coaching class and talked all the latest headlines in the latest "Around The League Podcast."

Do Miami homers see Wallace & Tannehill figuring out how to make more plays in 2014?

Do Miami homers see Wallace & Tannehill figuring out how to make more plays in 2014?
Same HC, 4 of the 5 OL positions are vacant so largely gonna be all new next year and a MAJOR excuse everyone will use for why they can't pass protect. I don't see it getting leaps and bounds better, no running game to take the pressure off the pass game either, not good.

Was just offered Wallace for (2) 2014 Second rounders. Seemed close in value to me and I was inclined to take it but the other owner revoked it after like 12 hours so he must have been having second thoughts.

Wallace : $12,000,000 per - 73 rec. 930 yds, 5 TD

Brown : $8,300,000 per - 110 rec. 1,499 yds, 8 TD

Just thought I'd post that here. :lmao:

Two second rounders or a late first for Wallace is about Market right now.

That said, I have my suspicions that Wallace goes UP in 2014.

I think he's been playing at his floor for two seasons based on Tannehill's slow-volution, and this may be the year they click.

142 targets in 2013, and he's 27 - prime time. I only have him in one league, where he's my WR5, strangely.

Would love to see him raise the bar so I can trade him for RB help.

Two second rounders or a late first for Wallace is about Market right now.

That said, I have my suspicions that Wallace goes UP in 2014.

I think he's been playing at his floor for two seasons based on Tannehill's slow-volution, and this may be the year they click.

142 targets in 2013, and he's 27 - prime time. I only have him in one league, where he's my WR5, strangely.

Would love to see him raise the bar so I can trade him for RB help.
Well, he's only been on Miami for one year, but I do agree that 2014 could be a good year for both of them. It'll hinge on protection, though. If they don't improve that offensive line then Miami could very easily be a dumpster fire this year. Either way, I wouldn't trade Wallace for two 2nds. What is the hit rate on a 2nd? Wallace already has a pretty decent floor and we know he's got top 10 upside. He's an easy hold for now at those prices.

I kinda agree with flapgreen. Seems like a one trick pony that was a product of the Steelers system.

I kinda agree with flapgreen. Seems like a one trick pony that was a product of the Steelers system.
Relative to the huge contract Miami gave him, yeah, he's bad. But that's neither Wallace's fault nor particularly relevant to FF. I've never been a big Mike Wallace fan in FF given his typical big time price tag, but 2013 might serve to drive his cost down enough that he becomes pretty intriguing. The targets will be there -- and the lack of deep TDs was likely variance / comfort level with Tannehill. That discussion is much more valuable than just holding on to leftover 2013 butt-hurt.

In fairness, Ben throws a much better deep ball than Tannehill - but it does seem that they made the right choice.
Was Big Ben throwing a much better deep ball in his sophomore year?

Big Ben in his second year threw for 2300 yards with 17 tds to 8 ints in 12 games.

In His 3rd year in 15 games he managed a whopping 18 td passes to 23 ints with 3500 yards.

Don't get me wrong there is a lot of growth that Tannehill has to have but he is coming off a year where he threw for 3913 yards with 24 td's to 17 ints.

There is still a ton of potential for Tannehill and Mike Wallace both in NFL and in real life.

In fairness, Ben throws a much better deep ball than Tannehill - but it does seem that they made the right choice.
Was Big Ben throwing a much better deep ball in his sophomore year?Big Ben in his second year threw for 2300 yards with 17 tds to 8 ints in 12 games.

In His 3rd year in 15 games he managed a whopping 18 td passes to 23 ints with 3500 yards.

Don't get me wrong there is a lot of growth that Tannehill has to have but he is coming off a year where he threw for 3913 yards with 24 td's to 17 ints.

There is still a ton of potential for Tannehill and Mike Wallace both in NFL and in real life.
Yes he was. By an absolute ton. Using season ending volume stats to measure something like "better deep ball" is disingenuous at best.A quick check of a few stats relevant to downfield efficiency for 2nd year Roethlisberger and 2nd year Tannehill (Ben is the 1st listed)

Comp %: 62.7 / 60.4

TD %: 6.3 / 4.1 (Ben led the NFL)

Y / A: 8.9 / 6.7 (Ben led the NFL)

Y / C: 14.2 / 11.0 (Ben led the NFL)

Reothlisberger's 2nd year numbers absolutely DESTROY Tannehill's.

Further, just watch the two guys play. I didn't watch a ton of Dolphins' games last year, but one of the strongest impressions I came away with was Wallace with a step or two deep and Tannehill missing either the read or the pass itself, usually due to ridiculous pressure. Ben's greatest attribute as a QB has ALWAYS been the ability to avoid that same pressure and hit big plays down the field.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was commenting on the post I replied to that compared Antonion Brown's 2013 production with Mike Wallace's 2013 production. Not sure what Roethlisberger did during his second season is relevant.

Was Big Ben throwing a much better deep ball in his sophomore year?Big Ben in his second year threw for 2300 yards with 17 tds to 8 ints in 12 games.

Yes he was. By an absolute ton. Using season ending volume stats to measure something like "better deep ball" is disingenuous at best.A quick check of a few stats relevant to downfield efficiency for 2nd year Roethlisberger and 2nd year Tannehill (Ben is the 1st listed)

Comp %: 62.7 / 60.4

TD %: 6.3 / 4.1 (Ben led the NFL)

Y / A: 8.9 / 6.7 (Ben led the NFL)

Y / C: 14.2 / 11.0 (Ben led the NFL)

Reothlisberger's 2nd year numbers absolutely DESTROY Tannehill's.

Further, just watch the two guys play. I didn't watch a ton of Dolphins' games last year, but one of the strongest impressions I came away with was Wallace with a step or two deep and Tannehill missing either the read or the pass itself, usually due to ridiculous pressure. Ben's greatest attribute as a QB has ALWAYS been the ability to avoid that same pressure and hit big plays down the field.
I agree with pretty much everything you said, but just to run the counterpoint here, Big Ben only threw the ball 268 times in his second season which is just insanely low, even if he only played 13 games. That run game and defense were great, so I'm sure the play-action pass was extremely effective (ranked 1st in rush attempts, 32nd in pass attempts). Ben was pretty much in QB heaven - good protection, good ground game, often in the lead (9th in points scored, 3rd lowest points allowed). Also, the new pass interference rules had just gone into effect and everybody's passing stats were up in 2004 and 2005.

And to be fair, I think it will be pretty easy for Tannehill's 3rd season to be better than Ben's third season (his 7.5 ypa is good, but the 18 TD to 23 INT is horrible). Despite only 489 passes and a good line, Big Ben took 46 sacks. He and Tannehill actually have similar sack rates.

I was commenting on the post I replied to that compared Antonion Brown's 2013 production with Mike Wallace's 2013 production. Not sure what Roethlisberger did during his second season is relevant.
True. However, Brown's 2013 production vs. Wallace's 2012 production is.

Rotoworld:

Two "Dolphins people" told the Miami Herald that Ryan Tannehill can throw deep balls with anticipation to Brian Hartline, but "cannot consistently" to Mike Wallace.

The same Dolphins staffers dispute a CBS report that coach Joe Philbin will put Tannehill on a shortened 2014 leash, but "feel strongly" that Tannehill "must improve his chemistry" with $60 million man Wallace. Per Football Outsiders, Wallace finished his first season in Miami with a 52 percent "catch rate." His catch rates in Pittsburgh 2010-2012 were 61, 64, and 54, respectively.

Source: Miami Herald

Wallace played better with a better qb, go figure, not to mention better coaching/scheme
He stunk in the beginning of the year but he turned it around as the season went on, Tannehill just stinks at getting him the ball deep. He literally missed him on about 7 wide open bombs with either under throws or overthrows. If the ball was there on half those he would have been looking at 1200 and 8. He adds a ton to the offense if Tannehill can do his job.

Wallace played better with a better qb, go figure, not to mention better coaching/scheme
He stunk in the beginning of the year but he turned it around as the season went on, Tannehill just stinks at getting him the ball deep. He literally missed him on about 7 wide open bombs with either under throws or overthrows. If the ball was there on half those he would have been looking at 1200 and 8. He adds a ton to the offense if Tannehill can do his job.
Meh. Wallace probably won't be worth much more even if they get on the same page.

Meh. Wallace probably won't be worth much more even if they get on the same page.
You're right, it probably doesn't mean anything if the QB can get it to him when he's wide open.

I actually think this is a great buy opportunity on Wallace. These posts talking about him being wide open 6 or 7 times for 50+ yard TDs are 100% true. Tannehill could not get on the same page with him last year, but this year, with a year under their belts and another offseason working on timing, there is a good chance that 3-5 of those opportunities translate to long TDs, which completely change the way the average fan who does not watch every play of every Dolphins game will view him. Tannehill will also presumably have a better OL in front of him, giving him more time to go through progressions, find open receilvers, and step into his throws. He got sacked 58 times last year. Chances are pretty good that that number drops at least a little this year.

Wallace had a really good year last year at doing what he was supposed to do. He just didnt have the help from the OL and QB that he needed to make it show on the stat sheet. There is a reason to be optimistic that that will change this year, making Wallace a low cost, high reward option coming off a pretty lackluster season on the stat sheet.

Go get him!

You're right, it probably doesn't mean anything if the QB can get it to him when he's wide open.
Glad you are on board.

Rotoworld:

According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the Dolphins have renewed attempts to trade Mike Wallace.
It's a story that's barely even worth discussing because Wallace is nearly impossible to trade. He signed a $60 million deal a year ago and is owed a whopping $15 million in 2014 base salary. The Miami Herald has previously disputed reports that Wallace is even on the block.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Rotoworld:

According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the Dolphins have renewed attempts to trade Mike Wallace.
It's a story that's barely even worth discussing because Wallace is nearly impossible to trade. He signed a $60 million deal a year ago and is owed a whopping $15 million in 2014 base salary. The Miami Herald has previously disputed reports that Wallace is even on the block.

But Touchdown There said he was worth that much, so the contract shouldn't be hard to trade. An elite WR in his prime, signed to a reasonable deal - surely there are buyers. Right? RIGHT?

Rotoworld:

But Touchdown There said he was worth that much, so the contract shouldn't be hard to trade. An elite WR in his prime, signed to a reasonable deal - surely there are buyers. Right? RIGHT?
Excellent little tutorial for you here.

Who'd you rather have on your dynasty roster - him or Terrance Williams?

* You have enough depth that neither would be a weekly starter.

Users who are viewing this thread