What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Avoid Mike Wallace, the Raven? (1 Viewer)

BUST of the year.
that's a little extreme don't you think?
Not extreme at all... He is terrible!
"Terrible" isn't quite fair. Miami hasn't figured out ways to put him in a position to succeed. He was great with the Steelers because when Ben would scramble out of the pocket, he and Wallace were always on the same page. They created huge gains out of broken plays time after time. That kind of chemistry just isn't there with Tannehill.

BUST of the year.
Not extreme at all... He is terrible!
"Terrible" isn't quite fair. Miami hasn't figured out ways to put him in a position to succeed. He was great with the Steelers because when Ben would scramble out of the pocket, he and Wallace were always on the same page. They created huge gains out of broken plays time after time. That kind of chemistry just isn't there with Tannehill.
I credit Big Ben more then Wallace... If a QB creates extra time (which Ben is a master at), a receiver can get open.

He looks pretty bad this season - without question one of the most overpaid players in the NFL.

BUST of the year.
He is without a doubt in the conversation if you eliminate guys who have disappointed due to injury.
Wallace didn't go that high. "Bust of the year" would be closer to Spiller or Richardson.
Fair point. Nice to see him finally being involved quite a bit. He would have had a HUGE night if he didn't get intentionally tackled on a play which would have gone for about an 85-yard TD.

:kicksrock:

Wallace didn't go that high. "Bust of the year" would be closer to Spiller or Richardson.
Fair point. Nice to see him finally being involved quite a bit. He would have had a HUGE night if he didn't get intentionally tackled on a play which would have gone for about an 85-yard TD.

That one would've been huge. He hasn't caught a break like that in 8 games. His only TD was on a bubble screen.

Yet, despite the lack of a single big play TD, he's still WR28 or something like that in PPR which is about where his ADP was. I think he's in the mid-30s in non-PPR. That 80+ yard TD would've instantly bumped him into the top 25.

Let's face it - even without the long TDs, just a couple more short TDs would've smoothed things over with Wallace owners. Instead of him sucking or being terrible or whatever, he'd be just fine. This unpredictable lack of TD production is the only thing holding him back. He got 72 targets in the first half of the season. If he gets 72 in the second half, I guarantee he does better than 36/480/1.

BUST of the year.
He is without a doubt in the conversation if you eliminate guys who have disappointed due to injury.

He would have dropped it.

Seems simple - only start Wallace after he #####es and moans to his coaching staff about lack of targets.

BUST of the year.
I don't understand why you think this. Not sure where he was going in drafts but I scooped him out of free agent with Demarco and Roddy being hurt and he's been a decent flex option for me.
I agree. He is not a "bust" Unless you drafted him wayyyyy sooner than he should have been taken. He has done well in about half of his games. He is a spot start for me. Flex play most weeks but I avoid him when Miami faces a strong corner. Was a pass interference call away from a monster game last night.

BTW the bust conversation at WR should start and end with Dwayne Bowe.

Revis Island on Monday night. :(

Pretty sure he is shadowing opposing #1 WRs now. I don't see how you can be enthusiastic about playing Wallace this week.

Pretty sure he is shadowing opposing #1 WRs now. I don't see how you can be enthusiastic about playing Wallace this week.
I was thinking the same thing. But has Revis been playing like the Revis of old? Thinking of plugging Baldwin in my flex spot over Wallace but he has been heating up of late. Targets on the rise and would have had monster game last week if not for that blatant PI call vs Bengals.

I was thinking the same thing. But has Revis been playing like the Revis of old? Thinking of plugging Baldwin in my flex spot over Wallace but he has been heating up of late. Targets on the rise and would have had monster game last week if not for that blatant PI call vs Bengals.
To inconsistent - even if he had back to back solid outings, that makes me even more suspicious that a dud is on the horizon. Dee Millner island would scare me off of Wallace this week.

Despite not being a huge fan, I have buy low feelers out for Wallace in a few leagues. The targets are there, and the lack of long TDs the first half is likely variance. His stats look bad in a vacuum, but adding even one long TD bomb puts him in high end WR3 / low end WR2 territory. He won't drop EVERY long pass during the 2nd half.

Why even put him on your bench? Pick up an upside backup running back
HUH?
I like difference makers at wide receiver. He is not one. I wouldn't start him in a 10 team league so why roster him?
Mike Wallace isnt a difference maker? Thats precisely what he is haha.

The only reason he's appealing in fantasy is his gamebreaking speed/big play potential.

The problem with him aside from his drops, he's usually feast or famine. Never going to be a high volume catch guy though. And obviously in PPR leagues, he takes a hit. Hey, I'm not trying to proclaim he's a top 20 guy, but you're not going to find many WR3's with a higher ceiling. Now this week with Revis, its a legitimate question whether to start him.

And if fantasy teams only rostered 'starter' worthy type guys, there would 1 or 2 guys on everyones bench only lol. You need some insurance, whether its a Marlon Brown/Durham type. No you wouldnt feel comfortable starting them but if u had to, you prefer them over alot of other trash out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why even put him on your bench? Pick up an upside backup running back
HUH?
I like difference makers at wide receiver. He is not one. I wouldn't start him in a 10 team league so why roster him?
Mike Wallace isnt a difference maker? Thats precisely what he is haha.

The only reason he's appealing in fantasy is his gamebreaking speed/big play potential.

The problem with him aside from his drops, he's usually feast or famine. Never going to be a high volume catch guy though. And obviously in PPR leagues, he takes a hit. Hey, I'm not trying to proclaim he's a top 20 guy, but you're not going to find many WR3's with a higher ceiling. Now this week with Revis, its a legitimate question whether to start him.

And if fantasy teams only rostered 'starter' worthy type guys, there would 1 or 2 guys on everyones bench only lol. You need some insurance, whether its a Marlon Brown/Durham type. No you wouldnt feel comfortable starting them but if u had to, you prefer them over alot of other trash out there.
I guess I'll have to explain what I mean by difference maker. In fantasy, Wallace was not a wr2 to me so those who drafted him as such are getting an inconsistent disaster. The difference makers are the guys that you draft as wr3-4 (Alshon Jeffery, maybe decker in a lot of cases) that are better wr2 plays than Wallace.

I just dropped Wallace in my 10-team league that starts 3 wr to pickup a replacement for Rodgers. I can't see myself starting him on any given week. This season he has seen my lineup 3 times to fill in for byes or injuries and has been terrible every time. He only has 1 td on the season, and his yardage on the season is also lackluster. I just don't see the upside.

Wallace has 72 targets (44 in the last 4 weeks). If he keeps getting the targets, it's hard for me to see him continuing to no produce. I drafter him in one league and tried to buy in another.

The loss of 40% of an already dismal offensive line has to hurt Wallace. Tannehill already wasn't given time to attempt deep passes. If they're smart they'll roll him out to buy some time, but I don't know if that's in Sherman's arsenal. Things could get ugly for Tannehill as he was leading the league in sacks before losing Incognito and Martin, I think.

The loss of 40% of an already dismal offensive line has to hurt Wallace. Tannehill already wasn't given time to attempt deep passes. If they're smart they'll roll him out to buy some time, but I don't know if that's in Sherman's arsenal. Things could get ugly for Tannehill as he was leading the league in sacks before losing Incognito and Martin, I think.
Given the dysfunction of that 40%, couldn't the line actually improve?

Starting him with confidence against Revis! :thumbup:

I'm confident he will find some way to acquire negative points this week even though it's not possible in our league.. :wall:

He is on pace for a 1000 yards. I have Wallace in a 14 team dynasty that starts 3 wide receivers and a flex. I have Wallace as my WR 4 and have been happy with his production this year.

With a WR like Wallace, it depends heavily on the QB's ability to get him the ball (more so than a possession or a big red zone receiver). The spring buzz around Tanehill has cooled a bit and Wallace needs time to get open and accurate throws...even if Tanehill becomes more accurate, deeper routes take time to develop and (1) the line needs to hold and (2) Tanehill has to commit to the long ball in traffic and not dump it to the RB/TE/Slot Receiver.

I plucked this section on an article dated 8/12 on Wallace and Tanehill from the Sun Sentinel and bolded a couple of interesting points:

"I think we're moving along nicely," Tannehill said after Monday's practice. "We hit a deep one today for a touchdown in 7-on-7 (passing drill). When you have a guy with that typehttp://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...hilbin-quarterback-ryan-tannehill-cam-newton# of speed it's exciting to be able to throw the ball downfield but it's not going to be five touchdowns a game. That's kind of what everyone seems to be hinting at.

"But we're going to give him the ball and he's going to get open short and deep, (and on) crosses. It's going to happen, there's no need to panic, to push to try to force him the ball. It's going to happen."

In Friday's 27-3 victory at Jacksonville there seemed to be a few plays in which Wallace had one-on-one coverage but Tannehill (5-for-9 for 75 yards, one touchdown, no interceptions) never looked in his direction. Tannehill, Sherman and Philbin have all acknowledged it was tough for Tannehill to set his feet to throw deep because pass protectionhttp://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...hilbin-quarterback-ryan-tannehill-cam-newton# was porous.

"There were some times that we called some passes, probably either eight or nine times, where we had opportunities possibly," Sherman said. "Protection wasn't the greatest as you well know and we were scrambling around but those will come with time."

Regardless, Tannehill acknowledged there was one time he should have hit Wallace.

"I ended up moving around and hitting (Brandon) Gibson over the middle," Tannehill said. "Going back and looking at it I could have stayed in the pocket a little bit, pushed up and kept my eyes downfield. Mike ended up winning on the outside. Other than that I think that was just because of the way the game fell."

Now I am not saying it will be a disaster, but he is getting drafted around the likes of DeSean Jackson and I would much rather have him at this point than Wallace.
:goodposting:

Fine, we'll throw out the Revis game (4-15-0). Hopefully nobody started him last night anyway.

Prior to that, here were his last 6 starts:

2-22-0

3-24-0

7-105-0

5-76-0

3-41-0

6-82-0

Three decent games in a PPR. Three duds. Hit or miss. No Revis to be found. Is that top-15 material?

They'll never hit him on a deep route. The O-line stinks, so long plays rarely have time to develop. And then he'll drop balls regularly on crossing patterns because he is scared to get hit. It's getting to the point in the season where you need guys in your lineup who you can trust. He ain't that.

Rotoworld:

Mike Wallace was added to the Dolphins' injury report Thursday, getting in a limited session with a hamstring issue.

Details are scarce, but Wallace likely pulled up lame in Thursday's practice. It casts doubt on his Week 11 status, but it's entirely possible the Dolphins are just limiting Wallace's reps. His status will be updated on Friday. Until then, owners of the low-end WR3 need to have a back-up plan ready.

Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Mike Wallace has caught just three of the 15 passes thrown to him that have traveled 20 yards or longer in the air.

In other words, he's been turned into a $60 million possession receiver. Wallace is averaging a career-low 12.4 yards per catch on the season and has one touchdown in nine games. The inept offensive line play, the West coast scheme and Wallace himself are all to blame. Perhaps he finally breaks off a big play in this week's dream matchup with the Chargers' No. 28 secondary. Starting corners Derek Cox and Shareece Wright are two of the worst in the NFL.

Source: Miami Herald

Users who are viewing this thread