What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

an impartial grading of recent draft history (1 Viewer)

The grading system doesn't seem consistent. For example, both Pittsburgh and San Diego are given A grades. Compare them:

Pittsburgh:

Picks 45

First-round picks: 6

Starters: 9

Pro Bowlers: 2

Grade: A

San Diego:

Picks: 46

First-round picks: 7

Starters: 15

Pro Bowlers: 6

Hard to see them getting the same grade given the disparity in starters and Pro Bowlers. Interesting article, though.

MINNESOTA: The Vikings have had some busts like receiver Troy Williamson and some bad luck like cancer-stricken Kenechi Udeze. But they have struck gold with running back Adrian Peterson and defensive tackle Kevin Williams, two of the best players at their position in the NFL. Last year's draft was pretty much a bust, but there are also some good young players like linebacker Chad Greenway and receiver Sidney Rice.

Picks: 41

Starters: 13

Grade: B-

:rolleyes:

The grading system doesn't seem consistent. For example, both Pittsburgh and San Diego are given A grades. Compare them:Pittsburgh:Picks 45First-round picks: 6Starters: 9Pro Bowlers: 2Grade: ASan Diego:Picks: 46First-round picks: 7Starters: 15Pro Bowlers: 6Grade: AHard to see them getting the same grade given the disparity in starters and Pro Bowlers. Interesting article, though.
Seems to be he's listing the "stats" of the picks but also looking beyond the stats with just how good the picks and the individual players are.

The grading system doesn't seem consistent. For example, both Pittsburgh and San Diego are given A grades. Compare them:Pittsburgh:Picks 45First-round picks: 6Starters: 9Pro Bowlers: 2Grade: ASan Diego:Picks: 46First-round picks: 7Starters: 15Pro Bowlers: 6Grade: AHard to see them getting the same grade given the disparity in starters and Pro Bowlers. Interesting article, though.
Seems to be he's listing the "stats" of the picks but also looking beyond the stats with just how good the picks and the individual players are.
Yes, and he shows that San Diego has 6 more starters and 4 more Pro Bowlers. How does that equate to the same grade?

The grading system doesn't seem consistent. For example, both Pittsburgh and San Diego are given A grades. Compare them:

Pittsburgh:

Picks 45

San Diego:

Hard to see them getting the same grade given the disparity in starters and Pro Bowlers. Interesting article, though.
looks like san diego and pittsburgh have been the best in the league at drafting.

Pittsburgh:

Picks 45

San Diego:

looks like san diego and pittsburgh have been the best in the league at drafting.
New England got an A+, having drafted 17 starters and 5 Pro Bowlers.

Pittsburgh:

Picks 45

San Diego:

New England got an A+, having drafted 17 starters and 5 Pro Bowlers.
sweet!can't do any better than that.

CLEVELAND: Funny how drafts turn out. Two of Cleveland's top picks in 2003-04 are now highly paid stars with the Tampa Bay Bucs: center Jeff Faine and tight end Kellen Winslow. The Bucs even have another former Browns draftee in QB Luke McCown. Two of their so-called better draft picks, receiver Braylon Edwards and quarterback Brady Quinn, are on the trading block, meaning much of the drafts have been washouts. The Browns' two best players were high picks Joe Thomas and linebacker D'Qwell Jackson. Remember, quarterback Derek Anderson was a Ravens draft choice.

Picks: 43

Starters: 8

Grade: C-
I like the way he downgrades Phil Savages drafts based upon the new regimes take on things. I wonder if it occured to him that Mangini and Kokinis are not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. I mean who should have Savage taken in the 2005 draft besides Edwards. The other WR candidates taken early were Troy Williamson, Big Mike Williams and Matt Jones. :unsure:

MINNESOTA: The Vikings have had some busts like receiver Troy Williamson and some bad luck like cancer-stricken Kenechi Udeze. But they have struck gold with running back Adrian Peterson and defensive tackle Kevin Williams, two of the best players at their position in the NFL. Last year's draft was pretty much a bust, but there are also some good young players like linebacker Chad Greenway and receiver Sidney Rice.

:unsure:
So what would you grade the Vikes? Pitt and SD have both been to the AFC Championship game and Pittsburgh also has 2 SB trophie over the last 4-5 years...what grade can you really give the Vikes Donny?

:unsure:
So what would you grade the Vikes? Pitt and SD have both been to the AFC Championship game and Pittsburgh also has 2 SB trophie over the last 4-5 years...what grade can you really give the Vikes Donny?
I am just saying give up a 1st and two 3rds for Jared Allen should count for something.

CLEVELAND: Funny how drafts turn out. Two of Cleveland's top picks in 2003-04 are now highly paid stars with the Tampa Bay Bucs: center Jeff Faine and tight end Kellen Winslow. The Bucs even have another former Browns draftee in QB Luke McCown. Two of their so-called better draft picks, receiver Braylon Edwards and quarterback Brady Quinn, are on the trading block, meaning much of the drafts have been washouts. The Browns' two best players were high picks Joe Thomas and linebacker D'Qwell Jackson. Remember, quarterback Derek Anderson was a Ravens draft choice.

I like the way he downgrades Phil Savages drafts based upon the new regimes take on things. I wonder if it occured to him that Mangini and Kokinis are not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. I mean who should have Savage taken in the 2005 draft besides Edwards. The other WR candidates taken early were Troy Williamson, Big Mike Williams and Matt Jones. :unsure:
I'm quick to criticize your take on your own team...but this post is terrific. I think Mangini is making disastrous mistakes and Cleveland fans should be up in arms. You build around guys like KW II, Braylon, Quinn, those are the guys you believed in during the draft...they are perhaps only a few weeks from dismantling everything that teams work so hard to find. both Edwards and Winslow were top5-top10 picks, both have had at least 1 outstanding season in their 1st 4 years in the league and no they want to trade them as they enter their prime? Mangini is nuts and while I defended him New York, he is looking like jack ### in Cleveland. I feel bad for the Browns fans.

Having overlooked Haloti Ngata, who is already their third best defender behind Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, this guy might be a little too critical of the Ravens at a C-. But the truth is that Ozzie has probably had more success procuring low-cost, high-value free agents in recent years than he has with his draft picks.

I like the way he downgrades Phil Savages drafts based upon the new regimes take on things. I wonder if it occured to him that Mangini and Kokinis are not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. I mean who should have Savage taken in the 2005 draft besides Edwards. The other WR candidates taken early were Troy Williamson, Big Mike Williams and Matt Jones. :lmao:
I'm quick to criticize your take on your own team...but this post is terrific. I think Mangini is making disastrous mistakes and Cleveland fans should be up in arms. You build around guys like KW II, Braylon, Quinn, those are the guys you believed in during the draft...they are perhaps only a few weeks from dismantling everything that teams work so hard to find. both Edwards and Winslow were top5-top10 picks, both have had at least 1 outstanding season in their 1st 4 years in the league and no they want to trade them as they enter their prime? Mangini is nuts and while I defended him New York, he is looking like jack ### in Cleveland. I feel bad for the Browns fans.
One thing about Mangini - If you look at the Jets drafts, I think Mangini does a real good job of identifying and drafting good talent and Good solid individuals and FOOTBALL players....I won't ague the Jets grade in this article - But, it was Bradway and Herm that were behind the disasterous drafts of trading up 2 1st round picks for Dewayne Robertson and drafting Ted Nugent.

Mangini's drafts have been, if nothing else, logical. Of course Gholston is hanging over his grade but, again, people are crazy if they think Gholston came out of no where or wasn't a concensus top pick last year.....

That said, Mangini is rebuilding in Cleveland and like when he came to the Jets, he wants people 100% on board with his program - KW II is an injury risk, I completely understand not wanting to devote a ton of money to his long term prospects... Braylon Edwards can bring in some decent returns right now and might not be the guy you want around for a rebuild.. So, now you have Quinn???

Not so sure KW II, Braylon and Quinn are some incredible base that you build upon.

This draft is also loaded at WR and TE....

Mangini's biggest problem in NY was relating to people and translating X's and O's to the field.

Kinda like a young Bellichik... IMO, the Draft and identifying Football Players is his strength.

Bottom line - As a Jets fan I'm happy as can be with Rex over Mangini but, the guy IMO is smart and isn't Herm Edwards on the football field and isn't Matt Millen in the draft room... I think he can learn as he goes and has a shot unlike the prior 2 names.

I'd bet he has a real good draft here and surprises some people with his personel turnaround.

Cowboys

Picks: 45

Starters: 11

Yea I don't get the scoring criteria either. Dallas gets an 'A' while Chicago gets a B- (huge discrepency) with:First-round picks (6)

Starters (11)

Pro Bowlers (4)

Then the following teams got better or similar grades with fewer starters and Pro-bowlers:

Atlanta (Starters: 12, Pro-Bowlers: 1, B+)

Buffalo (11,1, B)

Carolina (11,2, B)

Giants (14, 4, A) (Three additional starters warrant a 4 grade increment increase?)

Pittsburgh (9, 2, A) ????????

Seattle (14, 2, B)

Tampa (10, 1, B-)

Washington (8,2, B)

I don't get it. A little West Coast (and Southern) bias here?

Impartial?

Giving the statistics and leaving it at that would be impartial. Assigning letter grades is hardly impartial. That's completely subjective.

CINCINNATI: The last six drafts will look OK if quarterback Carson Palmer, the first player in 2003, returns to a high-level form this season. Basically, the Bengals have had some bad luck while mixing in some risky picks in recent years. Consider the 2005 draft when linebacker Odell Thurman showed so much promise but couldn't keep his drinking under control, plus the career-ending neck injury to David Pollack. The Bengals have drafted some good offensive linemen in Eric Steinbach, Stacy Andrews and Eric Ghiaciuc, the 119th pick in 2005. The same year, they took LDE Jonathan Fanene with the 233rd selection. The last two drafts have brought two defensive starters in CB Leon Hall and linebacker Keith Rivers in the first round.

Picks: 53

Pro Bowlers: 1

That is a horrible evaluation those guys are horrible

CINCINNATI: The last six drafts will look OK if quarterback Carson Palmer, the first player in 2003, returns to a high-level form this season. Basically, the Bengals have had some bad luck while mixing in some risky picks in recent years. Consider the 2005 draft when linebacker Odell Thurman showed so much promise but couldn't keep his drinking under control, plus the career-ending neck injury to David Pollack. The Bengals have drafted some good offensive linemen in Eric Steinbach, Stacy Andrews and Eric Ghiaciuc, the 119th pick in 2005. The same year, they took LDE Jonathan Fanene with the 233rd selection. The last two drafts have brought two defensive starters in CB Leon Hall and linebacker Keith Rivers in the first round.

I count 15 starters without trying very hard. He lists 7 in just the writeup. One of us can't count.

Having overlooked Haloti Ngata, who is already their third best defender behind Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, this guy might be a little too critical of the Ravens at a C-. But the truth is that Ozzie has probably had more success procuring low-cost, high-value free agents in recent years than he has with his draft picks.
This guy is way off-base on the Ravens. He said they have only 5 starters from drafts 2003-2008?Opening Day 2008 Ravens starters drafted between 03 and 08: Gaither, Grubbs, Brown, Yanda, Terry, Flacco, McClain, Clayton, Ngata, Suggs, Johnson, Landry. That's 12.Even if you bump Terry (though he did start until Willie Anderson moved into the lineup) that's still 11.And then there were other starters not still on the Ravens, which he said he was counting in his draft grade: Pashos, Mughelli, Derek Anderson.That's 14-15 which is as many or more than all but about 4 teams (although, I doubt the stats for other teams are accurate either). Finally, this also doesn't take into account guys drafted before 2003 who are still so good that they're still starters - Lewis, Reed, Heap. So the Ravens are being penalized in this system for drafting and retaining perennial All-Stars who haven't been displaced in subsequent years.

x2 This person doesn't know what they are talking about. It also looks like a 4th grader wrote it. "The same year, they took LDE Jonathan Fanene with the 233rd selection." And? He also says Tedd Ginn's a play maker. :lmao:

To really perform this analysis, there are a lot of issues to consider:

1. How to handle the fact that some positions were locked up prior to the evaluation period, and thus some teams were not drafting for as many potential starting positions as others, thus reducing the potential starting positions they could fill in the draft?

2. How to handle the fact that some teams purposely filled need positions with free agents, and thus did not need to draft for those positions, thus reducing the potential starting positions they could fill in the draft?

3. How to handle the fact that some teams had more picks than others during this period?

4. How to handle draft position? Some teams during this period consistently picked higher in each round than others, and thus theoretically were able to draft better talent.

5. How to assess the quality of the players drafted? Starters and Pro Bowls are mentioned in this analysis, but what about All Pro, ROY, MVP, and DPOY selections, for example? What about postseason contributions? How to differentiate if a player started immediately vs. required a couple of years to break into the starting lineup?

6. How to handle special teams? Kicker and punter should probably be considered starters...

7. Should positions be weighted? For example, should a team who drafted its starting punter get equal credit to a team that drafted its starting QB?

That's a start, anyway. It would be interesting to see such an analysis that attempted to do a much more thorough job than the writer did in this case.

x2 This person doesn't know what they are talking about. It also looks like a 4th grader wrote it. "The same year, they took LDE Jonathan Fanene with the 233rd selection." And? He also says Tedd Ginn's a play maker. :lmao:
Yeah all of those guys suck but calling Ghiaciuc a good pick well I almost choked when I read that, the guy is the worst center in the NFL. And the other two of the "good picks," Stacy Andrews and Jonathan Fanene havent been much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
NEW ORLEANS: The highlight of the last six drafts has to be Reggie Bush and taking Hofstra receiver Marques Colston with the 252nd overall pick in the same 2006 draft. There might be two first-round busts in defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan and 2007 receiver Robert Meachem. DE Will Smith and Devery Henderson were solid picks in 2004.Picks: 41First-round picks: 6Starters: 10Pro Bowlers: 1Grade: C-
It may be too early to tell about Meachem, but DT Sullivan and WR Stallworth were definitely not worth their draft slots. Hard to argue with this draft grade as a Saints fan.It has been a historic problem with the Saints, and they will continue to just spin in place until they address it.

I think the numbers are somewhat deceiving. This is the Bears compared to the Steelers:BearsPicks: 53First-round picks (6)Starters (11)Pro Bowlers (4)Grade: B-SteelersPicks 45First-round picks: 6Starters: 9Pro Bowlers: 2Grade: AThe numbers would suggest that the Bears drafted better. But when you look at the players drafted it isn't even close. The Bears did get Hester and Forte in the last three drafts, and he mentions Briggs, Tillman, Vasher, Harris, and the departed Berrian, Gage and Wade. Briggs continues to play well, but Vasher lost his starting job. Tillman and Harris were both mediocre at best last year. The Steelers on the other hand drafted Big Ben, Polamalu, Heath Miller, Holmes, and Lamarr Woodley, plus three starting offensive linemen. So if you look at the numbers the Bears had two more starters and four Pro Bowlers versus the Steelers nine starters and two Pro Bowlers. But you look at the overall quality of players I think the Steelers are far superior.

DETROIT: Well, Matt Millen is long gone but he hired Martin Mayhew, his replacement, although team finance man Tom Lewand will have some influence in future drafts. Millen did draft three talented receivers in Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson. But Rogers broke his shoulder blade in consecutive seasons, ending his career, while Roy Williams is now a Cowboy. USC receiver Mike Williams was a total bust in 2005 and Ernie Sims is simply a nice little linebacker. The Lions were 0-16 last season because the coaching and talent were substandard.

Picks: 47

Grade: D

Users who are viewing this thread