What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Dobson (2 Viewers)

Dobson is my new must-get guy.
<leeCorso>Not so fast, my friend!</leeCorso>

Keep an eye on Kenbrell Thompkins this pre-season.
I am secretly rooting that Thompkins beats Boyce for a roster spot. Mostly because it might drive EBF a little insane to know that a guy who runs 4.54 40 and posted 8 bench presses could beat out his combine super man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thompkins is just a worst version of Boyce. He will be lucky to make the team.

Boyce figures to benefit if Hernandez misses significant time. He and Amendola are the best in space of the Pats receivers.

I am secretly rooting that Thompkins beats Boyce for a roster spot. Mostly because it might drive EBF a little insane to know that a guy who runs 4.54 40 and posted 8 bench presses could beat out his combine super man.
If Boyce gets cut, EBF will just label him as a 'buy low' and the hype will continue.

identikit said:
Donnybrook said:
PatsFanCT said:
Touchdown There said:

If Boyce gets cut, EBF will just label him as a 'buy low' and the hype will continue.
Riiiight.

Moot point really. The Pats aren't going to cut an early 4th round pick before his rookie season. That basically doesn't happen in the NFL.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston expects second-round WR Aaron Dobson to be given "every chance to seize" the starting X receiver job.
Michael Jenkins ran with the starters throughout OTAs and minicamp, but there's a reason he's never caught more than 53 passes in any of his nine NFL seasons. Dobson offers significantly more upside and reportedly showed "flashes of excellence" during the offseason. If he can quickly grasp the playbook and earn Tom Brady's trust with consistency, he'll be pushing Jenkins. Dobson's progress is worth monitoring closely over the next month.

Related: Michael Jenkins

Source: ESPN Boston

Thompkins is just a worst version of Boyce. He will be lucky to make the team.
They're not really that similar at all. Boyce is built like an RB, with breakaway speed. He has good feet and creates separation with route-running. Thompkins has terrific ball skills and ups to have a massive effective catch radius (especially on high balls) for a receiver his size - which is more like Dobson - although they are lining up at different positions because Thompkins doesn't fit the "big receiver" mold at X.

Back to Dobson, I'm interested to see if the Patriots line up Mark Harrison at X in camp. He has all of Dobson's size and a good bit of his circus catch ability, but with more speed and power.

I said before the draft, before we knew where any of these guys would go, that ina couple of years, Dobson would be the steal of the WR draft. I have read a lot of the same information regarding Dobson where people just pick, pick, pick at him but I truly wonder how many people actually watch enough Marshall football to understand this player. I think people are going to look back on this one and say "Geez..shoulda known.. Why did I take [player X] over Dobson? Having Tom Brady, alone should have been enough to make me go with Dobson.

Re: the post above by Bloom...I actually want to see if the Pats will use Harrison in Hernandez's role. I think that is their solution to that problem. He could play that position as close to what Aaron did as anyone they currently have.

I said before the draft, before we knew where any of these guys would go, that ina couple of years, Dobson would be the steal of the WR draft. I have read a lot of the same information regarding Dobson where people just pick, pick, pick at him but I truly wonder how many people actually watch enough Marshall football to understand this player. I think people are going to look back on this one and say "Geez..shoulda known.. Why did I take [player X] over Dobson? Having Tom Brady, alone should have been enough to make me go with Dobson.

Re: the post above by Bloom...I actually want to see if the Pats will use Harrison in Hernandez's role. I think that is their solution to that problem. He could play that position as close to what Aaron did as anyone they currently have.
No one watches Marshall football, including you. :bs:

That was the reasoning for the Brandon Lloyd sucker bet last year. Not that simple.

this isn't 1976 with a single college football game of the week. there are college games on darn near every night of the week from all conferences and all divisions. I know I watched a Marshall game from start to finish last season, and if anything there are more Marshall games to be found somewhere than not televised at all.

this isn't 1976 with a single college football game of the week. there are college games on darn near every night of the week from all conferences and all divisions. I know I watched a Marshall game from start to finish last season, and if anything there are more Marshall games to be found somewhere than not televised at all.
We all know there are games available. The point is who watches them and who does not and it is pretty apparent to me that the vast majority of people that are pulling stat lines and tlaking about players like they know them, in fact, do not.

We can all have different opinions and that is cool but keep in mind that there are people who actually watch and follow this team and those that don't.

That was the reasoning for the Brandon Lloyd sucker bet last year. Not that simple.
Talking about two totally different things here. Tom Brady is just the icing on the cake. I was trying to make it simple to follow along.

I am glad you know that or think you do. Contrary to the belief that a lot of self-professed experts around here like to think, there are pockets of people on these boards that follow local teams closely and actually know more about the players than the experts. It might serve people well sometime to open their minds.

I know Marshall football and I know Smiley's Motel and anyone else who knows Marshall football will know what that means.

I am glad you know that or think you do. Contrary to the belief that a lot of self-professed experts around here like to think, there are pockets of people on these boards that follow local teams closely and actually know more about the players than the experts. It might serve people well sometime to open their minds.

I know Marshall football and I know Smiley's Motel and anyone else who knows Marshall football will know what that means.
Someone's not "Gellin'"

Someone's not "Gellin'"
And some aren't learnin'.

I really ought to leave my whole "no ff owner left behind mantra" behind and just let natural selection thin the herd.

Harrison is mostly just a workout warrior. Measurables don't always translate to success on the football field. Running and jumping in drills tells you something about a player's explosiveness, but it doesn't always tell you much about how well they move in game situations and it doesn't say much at all about their instincts or mental talent. Even if Harrison makes the team, I think he profiles as more of a big target outside WR than a guy who's going to do a lot of damage working short and intermediate routes out of the slot. He's not a very sudden or instinctive player. Moreover, there was no "Hernandez role" before the Pats drafted Hernandez and there probably won't be a "Hernandez role" now that Hernandez is gone. I've said it before in other threads, but Belichick isn't the type of guy who plays a clearly defined system and then shoehorns players into established roles. He takes advantage of the personnel at his disposal and adjusts his offense to suit their strengths.

I don't think the specific usage of past Patriots players like Moss, Hernandez, and Welker is going to tell us a lot about how the team will use its new weapons. Dobson isn't Moss, Boyce isn't Welker, and Harrison isn't Gronk. That's not to say those players have no chance to be successful. Only that it's a mistake to look at them in terms of how they fit into a specific role instead of weighing them on the basis of their overall merit. There was no "Moss role" before the Pats had Randy. There was no "Welker role" before they had Welker. There was no "Gronk role" or "Hernandez role" until they had those players. Amendola is similar to Welker, but not a clone. Boyce is unlike any WR the Patriots have had in recent years. I don't think we can expect their usage to perfectly mirror their predecessors. They're new players who bring a new package of strengths/weaknesses to the table.

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/360781249469624321

First Patriots practice concluding. Wet. Biggest takeaway: Rookie WRs Aaron Dobson & Josh Boyce on field, practicing in full.
https://twitter.com/LukeFHughes/status/360781760197435392

Biggest note from the practice was Aaron Dobson was practicing with the first-team offense.
https://twitter.com/mdaniels06/status/360795379500982272

Rookie WR Aaron Dobson was paired up with Danny Amendola a lot. Took both 1st and 2nd team reps. Amendola had a nice first day.
https://twitter.com/iamjoonlee/status/360795677615325185

Both Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce got a lot of reps today. Dobson played alongside Amendola quite a bit. Amendola was very impressive.
https://twitter.com/PatriotsHaven/status/360796152859328514

Disappointed I didn't see more of Boyce, but Brady went to him a few times. No question TB12 looked at Amendola, Jenkins and Dobson top 3.
https://twitter.com/MikeLowePPH/status/360796220383436800

3. Rookie WR Aaron Dobson ran with the first unit in 11-on-11 drills. Jake Ballard was at TE and Hooman was the H-Back.
https://twitter.com/Dan_Hope/status/360804428334374913

As others have noted, Kamar Aiken made couple challenging catches today. Aaron Dobson got many first-team reps, looks primed to start at WR.

Dobson was my must get guy the second the patriots drafted him, and will continue to be so unless he gets hurt isn't featured in the preseason or baring a trade for an X.
On the first day of full-squad Patriots camp Friday, second-round pick Aaron Dobson worked with the first-team offense in three-receiver sets.
Fellow rookie Josh Boyce was on the second team, quarterbacked by Ryan Mallett. Dobson appears to have already passed Molasses Mike Jenkins, and on Friday practiced opposite Danny Amendola, "seeing time both on the outside and in the slot." Dobson secured deep ball throws from both Tom Brady and Mallett. The 59th overall pick in April's draft, Dobson is shaping up as a likely starter in New England and fantasy value pick at his current 11th-round ADP.

Earlier then I expected, turns out they are going to give him a chance to fail. This kid is going to put up numbers FAR FAR better then an 11th round guy and I expect you wont be able to draft him for less then a 6th rounder come late Aug.

Dobson was my must get guy the second the patriots drafted him, and will continue to be so unless he gets hurt isn't featured in the preseason or baring a trade for an X.
On the first day of full-squad Patriots camp Friday, second-round pick Aaron Dobson worked with the first-team offense in three-receiver sets.
Fellow rookie Josh Boyce was on the second team, quarterbacked by Ryan Mallett. Dobson appears to have already passed Molasses Mike Jenkins, and on Friday practiced opposite Danny Amendola, "seeing time both on the outside and in the slot." Dobson secured deep ball throws from both Tom Brady and Mallett. The 59th overall pick in April's draft, Dobson is shaping up as a likely starter in New England and fantasy value pick at his current 11th-round ADP.

Earlier then I expected, turns out they are going to give him a chance to fail. This kid is going to put up numbers FAR FAR better then an 11th round guy and I expect you wont be able to draft him for less then a 6th rounder come late Aug.
Im actually seeing him at an ADP in the 14th round right now according to FBGs consensus. Regardless, he is going to move up, but I see no way he ends up going in the 6th. Heck, Amendola's ADP is the 5th. I think last year Lloyd's were the 5th. These guys obviously have more of a track record than Dobson in the NFL.

If he wins the WR2 job for NE, he will definitely be a popular sleeper pick, but since he wasnt a big name in college or go to a big school, I dont think he will get quite as much buzz as he likely deserves and will still be a value pick. Im guessing in most leagues he will readily be available in the 10th-11th rounds at the end of August.

New England Patriots: Rookie Aaron Dobson is Making Great First Impressions

Early in Camp, Dobson is Already Standing Out Among the Wide Receivers

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/england-patriots-rookie-aaron-dobson-making-great-first-170600211.html
This is a 2-3 day old report. He struggled in camp today. First day against press coverage .
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4745740/talib-strong-release-for-dobson-thompkins

I was impressed with rookie wide receivers Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce. Dobson can be a vertical threat between the numbers and sideline, a role Brandon Lloyd played last year. Dobson did struggle catching the ball occasionally but that was because he was still learning the route running.

Boyce missed all the OTAs but shinned at practice on two routes. He ran a post corner for a touchdown showing deep speed, good route running and concentration. Then he came back on a shallow crossing route, caught the ball and showed plenty of YAC.
Link

Harrison is mostly just a workout warrior. Measurables don't always translate to success on the football field. Running and jumping in drills tells you something about a player's explosiveness, but it doesn't always tell you much about how well they move in game situations and it doesn't say much at all about their instincts or mental talent. Even if Harrison makes the team, I think he profiles as more of a big target outside WR than a guy who's going to do a lot of damage working short and intermediate routes out of the slot. He's not a very sudden or instinctive player. Moreover, there was no "Hernandez role" before the Pats drafted Hernandez and there probably won't be a "Hernandez role" now that Hernandez is gone. I've said it before in other threads, but Belichick isn't the type of guy who plays a clearly defined system and then shoehorns players into established roles. He takes advantage of the personnel at his disposal and adjusts his offense to suit their strengths.

I don't think the specific usage of past Patriots players like Moss, Hernandez, and Welker is going to tell us a lot about how the team will use its new weapons. Dobson isn't Moss, Boyce isn't Welker, and Harrison isn't Gronk. That's not to say those players have no chance to be successful. Only that it's a mistake to look at them in terms of how they fit into a specific role instead of weighing them on the basis of their overall merit. There was no "Moss role" before the Pats had Randy. There was no "Welker role" before they had Welker. There was no "Gronk role" or "Hernandez role" until they had those players. Amendola is similar to Welker, but not a clone. Boyce is unlike any WR the Patriots have had in recent years. I don't think we can expect their usage to perfectly mirror their predecessors. They're new players who bring a new package of strengths/weaknesses to the table.

:goodposting:

This. The question is, with so many unknowns, will the preseason be a decent indicator of what the value is and isn't with these new players? My overall thought is that either way, the receiving game in NE will be a crapshoot for draft purposes.

Don't forget the wideouts in the running game. When one thinks of a dominating rushing performance, the role of wide receivers usually isn't spotlighted. But Belichick specifically noted that area when discussing the Patriots' work in the run game Friday. "I thought the receivers did a good job of handling the secondary. That opened up a couple opportunities for us to get longer runs," he said. Rookie Aaron Dobson, in particular, looks strong in that area, and of course, tight end Zach Sudfeld's effort on LeGarrette Blount's 51-yard touchdown run -- helping clear the final 10 yards for Blount -- is the type of work that would make any coach smile. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

FWIW, of the top 4 WR's who played with Brady (Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce) Dobson was the only one that didn't play in the slot at all. He was kept as an outside WR for all 8 of his first team snaps.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston notes that second-round WR Aaron Dobson has "turned things around after a less-than-smooth beginning in the spring."
Dobson has "made himself more into a factor in training camp." He remains in a battle with impressive undrafted rookie Kenbrell Thompkins for the starting X receiver job. Dobson appears to be trailing slightly right now after playing behind Thompkins in the preseason opener.

Source: ESPN Boston

Funny how inconsistent the reports have been about the Pats WRs. I just saw this from earlier today while looking for Boyce stuff:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/08/practice_observations_aaron_dobson_struggles_brandon_spikes

Practice observations: Aaron Dobson struggles, Brandon Spikes among the missing Tuesday, August 13, 2013PrintEmail Comments (2)
By:Jeff Howe

The Patriots have completed their 14th practice of training camp, which was held outside at Gillette Stadium with the Buccaneers. They were in full pads.

Not participating: Wide receiver Michael Jenkins, wide receiver Mark Harrison, cornerback Ras-I Dowling, cornerback Alfonzo Dennard, safety Nate Ebner, linebacker Brandon Spikes, offensive lineman Marcus Cannon, right guard Dan Connolly, offensive lineman Markus Zusevics, offensive lineman Tyronne Green, defensive end Jason Vega, offensive lineman Kevin Haslam, tight end Rob Gronkowski, defensive end Jermaine Cunningham, defensive lineman Armond Armstead

Red non-contact jersey: Safety Devin McCourty

Observations:

A source said Spikes’ absence was nothing to be concerned about but would not elaborate.

Jenkins, Dowling, Dennard, Ebner, Cannon, Connolly, Zusevics, Green were in uniform but didn’t participate. They rehabbed injuries elsewhere.

Bucs running back Jeff Demps is finishing his track schedule this week in Moscow, and he and the Bucs will figure out his football involvement from there, according to a source. So, Demps' return to Foxboro has been put on hold.

Brady completed 13 of 21 passes in 11-on-11 drills, which was his lowest percentage in the three full-pads joint practices. Of course, the Bucs have a better secondary than the Eagles, even without cornerback Darrelle Revis on the field.

Four of Brady’s eight incompletions were targeted for Aaron Dobson, including a bad drop over the middle. The other incompletions were intended for Ballard, Thompkins and Edelman, and the other was batted at the line.

Brady was also “sacked” for the first time in joint practices.

Brady’s completions in 11-on-11s: Zach Sudfeld 3, Shane Vereen 2, Danny Amendola 2, Julian Edelman 2, Dobson 1, Josh Boyce 1, Kenbrell Thompkins 1, Brandon Bolden 1.

Dobson may drop passes here and there, but he's going to make up for it by getting to balls others can't. He has the best catch radius of the Pats WRs and is the best red zone guy outside of Gronk. I see him leading the team in YPR. Thompkins has been or will be running more of the shorter routes.

He the guy to own?
I'll tell ya. Thompkins seems like the guy, and he's the one being targeted. You should be able to get Dobson very late and he still has potential to be very, very good. Great sleeper I believe.

But then again, look at my name.

PatsFanCT said:
Ace zero1 said:
He the guy to own?
I'll tell ya. Thompkins seems like the guy, and he's the one being targeted. You should be able to get Dobson very late and he still has potential to be very, very good. Great sleeper I believe.

But then again, look at my name.
Thompkins seems like the guy, but the word is out on him. Over the last few days, according to MFL and FFC he's being drafted as a low end WR3/high-end WR4 and going about 5 rounds before Dobson. Really whatever value Thompkins had is basically gone if he's going in the 7th-8th round. As good of a year as he might have, at that point you pretty much need him to have that 700-800yd/4-6TD year.

I plan on targetting Dobson now and see what he does the first 2-3 weeks.

Ace zero1 said:
He the guy to own?
I'll be surprised if he tops 500-600 yards this year. Wouldn't bother in redraft.

I'm not a fan in dynasty either, but that's a different story.

Ace zero1 said:
He the guy to own?
I'll be surprised if he tops 500-600 yards this year. Wouldn't bother in redraft.

I'm not a fan in dynasty either, but that's a different story.
Dobson looks like the 'catch the ball and fall down' guy.
That is what I've expected from him all along. He's got straight line speed and explosiveness, but like a lot of tall receivers he's not fluid or agile. You wouldn't stick him on punt returns or even kickoffs because he can't make anyone miss. I could see him catching some bombs and some red zone TDs. I'll be really surprised if he ever becomes a 70 catch receiver though. IMO he's not a complete player.

RAC is one of the most overrated attributes for a WR.
While there are some WR's (like Lance Moore) who make a living not doing much after the catch, most of the league's best WR's have a decent amount of YAC.

RAC is one of the most overrated attributes for a WR.
While there are some WR's (like Lance Moore) who make a living not doing much after the catch, most of the league's best WR's have a decent amount of YAC.
Key word is "decent". YAC isn't a very consistent stat from year to year, unless you're the likes of Welker, Harvin, Julio, Demaryius, Gronk, Cobb, Garcon. There's are some elite/above average guys in that department and then the rest. Marshall (in recent years), Wayne, Chad Johnson, Malcom Floyd, Derrick Mason, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Marvin Harrison were/are "catch and fall" guys. Just some guys off the top of my head.

If a WR is getting targeted deep and making plays downfield, he doesn't need to generate YAC.

WRs have to get open before they can worry about making plays after the catch. That would be my biggest concern with Dobson. I'm not convinced that he has the movement skills needed to consistently separate from NFL defenders. He is fine in a straight line, but not agile or smooth. That's a subjective observation supported by his awful three cone time and his lack of usage in the return game as a collegiate. He will get eaten alive at this level if he can't shake his man.

Doesn't help that he's a "tall" receiver, but not really a big receiver. BMI wise he is a near carbon copy of Dwayne Jarrett, Roy Williams, and Braylon Edwards. Players who were tall, but didn't have corresponding strength. Add it all up and you have a tall, stringy receiver with poor agility and weak college production. Not a good bet for success IMO.

WRs have to get open before they can worry about making plays after the catch. That would be my biggest concern with Dobson. I'm not convinced that he has the movement skills needed to consistently separate from NFL defenders. He is fine in a straight line, but not agile or smooth. That's a subjective observation supported by his awful three cone time and his lack of usage in the return game as a collegiate. He will get eaten alive at this level if he can't shake his man.

Doesn't help that he's a "tall" receiver, but not really a big receiver. BMI wise he is a near carbon copy of Dwayne Jarrett, Roy Williams, and Braylon Edwards. Players who were tall, but didn't have corresponding strength. Add it all up and you have a tall, stringy receiver with poor agility and weak college production. Not a good bet for success IMO.
I posted earlier, maybe in this thread, about the terrible track record of 6-2, 210 receivers. They look great on paper but it seems to be a tweener height/weight to me between small/quick guys and big/strong guys.

You guys waste too much time talking about height and weight. I really do not think this matters much at all. If the player is a good player they can be any height/weight, they are still a good player, and similarly if they are a bad player being the ideal size (whatever that is) isn't going to make them not a bad player.

Of all the different ways I can think of comparing players, their size/weight is pretty much on the bottom of the list of things I care about.

Users who are viewing this thread