What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Dobson (1 Viewer)

Hey Faust,

Most of your posts probably don't get answered but I want you to know you are one of my favorite posters because you give info but not hyperbole. Thanks for your many contributions here. I'm sure everyone appreciates it but most don't react much because they can't start an argument with you. ;)

Hey Faust,

Most of your posts probably don't get answered but I want you to know you are one of my favorite posters because you give info but not hyperbole. Thanks for your many contributions here. I'm sure everyone appreciates it but most don't react much because they can't start an argument with you. ;)
Faust is the bump mother ####### master

Rotoworld:

Patriots WR Aaron Dobson is participating in a rigorous offseason training program in Arizona.
Dobson showed potential as a rookie in 2013, hauling in 519 yards and four touchdowns. Injuries made him a non-factor last season (five targets in four games). A former second-round pick, Dobson is still only 23 years old, but is likely entering a make-or-break offseason with New England.

Source: Boston Herald
Feb 27 - 11:53 AM

Rotoworld:

Patriots WR Aaron Dobson is participating in a rigorous offseason training program in Arizona.

Dobson showed potential as a rookie in 2013, hauling in 519 yards and four touchdowns. Injuries made him a non-factor last season (five targets in four games). A former second-round pick, Dobson is still only 23 years old, but is likely entering a make-or-break offseason with New England.

24 in June and I've seen nothing to make me think he's an NFL receiver.

Rotoworld:

Same.

Rotoworld:

the problem is that he missed his chance to be relevant in NE. injured, ineffective or whatever it doesn't matter now. he's nothing better than the 4th option in the offense? he's got no value in NE and won't barring a number of injuries. i think he's done there and would be interested to see if he can resuscitate his career elsewhere.

Not a more disappointing sleeper last year than Dobson. He flashes the skills necessary then goes long stretches injured or just mental mistakes. Man, he was set up to take the lid off that offense. Sucks.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston believes Aaron Dobson could be "one of the biggest winners" from the Patriots' draft weekend.

The Patriots drafted 11 players, zero of whom play receiver. When Dobson wasn't injured last season, he was in the doghouse. New England's No. 4 receiver job is there for the taking for Dobson, but he'll need a strong camp and preseason.

Source: ESPN Boston

May 3 - 3:34 PM

If Dobson makes some sort of third year leap into relevance I might actually die from all this crow.

The kids done, hes a washed up never was. He doesn't fit the system, he doesn't excel at anything and has hands that would make Dwayne Bowe or Desean Jackson blush.

Just awful.

Rotoworld:

The Boston Herald's Jeff Howe observes that Aaron Dobson has been "taking advantage of his opportunities" and making plays at OTAs.

After missing most of last year's offseason program and then landing on I.R. in December, Dobson has become sort of a forgotten man in New England. However, the Patriots didn't sign or draft a notable receiver, leaving the depth chart wide open behind Brandon LaFell and Julian Edelman. At 6-foot-3, 210 with 4.37 speed, 23-year-old Dobson is a player to watch this summer.

Jun 5 - 10:00 AM

Rotoworld:

Patriots WR Aaron Dobson said he is fully healthy after a foot injury derailed his 2014 season.

"I’m healthy. I feel good," Dobson said. "I feel good out here now. I’m getting more comfortable with the playbook, so I’m just trying to play fast." Dobson missed out on most of the offseason program and saw action in just four games last season. Now healthy, Dobson has an opportunity to carve out a role behind starters Brandon LaFell and Julian Edelman.

Jun 20 - 12:22 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston calls Aaron Dobson a player who's developed "positive momentum" in the early days of training camp.

Dobson has been taking advantage of Brandon LaFell's time on the PUP list, getting "quality repetitions" on the outside. Longtime beat writer Mike Reiss believes it's "as good as (Dobson has) looked since joining the club." Coach Bill Belichick has even weighed in, saying Dobson reported in "great shape." Dobson isn't currently on the re-draft radar, but is a player to monitor for a team that can promote players and change roles without warning.

Aug 3 - 2:27 PM
Source: ESPN Boston

Rotoworld:

ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss believes Aaron Dobson "might have been playing for a job" on Friday night.

If that is the case, Dobson's night could not have gone much worse. He was out-muscled by Peanut Tillman on a 50-50 ball the defender eventually came down with, and he did not come back to the ball on Tom Brady's second interception of the night. With injuries mounting, it would be surprising if the Patriots gave up on the 2013 second-round pick this season, but it is certainly not outside the realm of possibilities.

Source: ESPN

Aug 29 - 10:15 AM

I almost picked him up, but Jax this week, then a bye. Unless you start him this week you are having to roster him for too long before being able to use him.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I liked about Dobson's performance this week is that he caught 7 of 8 targets. Brady is not quick to trust and shies away from guys that do not catch a high percentage. I thought this week was a good step in Dobson becoming a dynasty buy.

Was surprised to see him get picked up for about 5% in my league today

ETA: and the guy dropped Agholor to get Dobson. Maybe its just me, but Im giving Agholor 2-3 more weeks before cutting bait.

I scooped him up in my redraft and my dyno

If last week was a sign that he has finally started to up it all together and Brady and belichek trust him now he can give the pats the type of wr that they've been sorely missing since Randy moss left town.

He's not the most talented wr but he's the closest thing they've got to a true wr1 with his physical characteristics.

And to have a part of that NE passing offense can be pure gold, jerry!

There are a lot of mouths to feed but when Brady is throwing the ball 40+ times per game for 300-400 yards and 3-4 TDs he can get his.

I watched the coaches film, he looked solid. He had one boneheaded drop but other than that he was exactly where he needed to be every time Brady looked for him. I agree with rickyg, I want every piece of this NE passing game I can get right now. On the one team (12 team keeper, start 3WR, 2RB no flex) I dropped 5% of my budget to stash him. On that team, I have Gronk, Lewis and now Dobson and would have no problem trotting them all out if this NE insanity continues.

don't know how much to blind bid for him in dynasty with deep rosters, consensus 5-10 percent? he seems like a great lottery ticket for both redraft and dynasty

don't know how much to blind bid for him in dynasty with deep rosters, consensus 5-10 percent? he seems like a great lottery ticket for both redraft and dynasty
He went for 11% in my league, more than I was willing to pay.

In games that Brady throws it 59 times, he's your guy. Otherwise, not so much.

Picked him up in a few leagues. Still debating whether to flex him or not. Game script scares me a bit for Sunday. 27-3 at the half and it could be a Blount "run it into the pile for 15 times" kind of 2nd half.

No one can say if he will produce consistently. If you can then please also tell me next weeks winning lottery numbers.

But I like his profession as a receiver and that his coaches and qb are talking him up.

And I like that he's in a team with gronk. Gronk is basically their wr1. He's gonna get double and tripled teamed in most games. Then you've. Edelman who is the more established threat in opposing defenses' eye. Then they have to worry about dion Lewis out of the backfield and potentially Scott chandler.

It all means that Dobson is in a unique situation to fly under the radar all year and wreck opposing defenses every week. He'll never be double teamed or bracketed in coverage. He'll always the luxury of one on one and perhaps not even against the opposing teams best CB.

And with the NE pass happy offense and Brady at qb I like those odds to produce.

I grabbed him in redraft and dynasty this week. In dyno league I got him for 7% bid.

I think people are sleeping on him BC they think lafell has this position sewn up. But I don't think so. The pats drafted Dobson in the 2nd round and they clearly want to make it work with him. Plus he's got more raw talent than lafell and can stretch the field better.

If Dobson lives up to his draft grade consistently before lafell gets healthy and is eligible to play I like his chances to cement his role as a key cog in this offense.

I mean, dude might have the worst hands of any NE receiver ever. I don't think defenses would be too concerned even if they were preparing for him.

I liked Dobson as a rookie prospect. I think he is a very good blocker and a WR that I thought would be a good fit for the Vikings before they gave up multiple draft picks to move up with NE and draft Patterson.

The 2013 rookie draft was pretty poor for wide receivers which in that context made Dobson a better prospect relative to the other options available.

He struggled with some injuries and LaFell took over the role in the offense that I think Dobson was drafted for. When LaFell comes back it is not clear to me if he will resume being the starter of if they continue with Dobson. Hard to argue with Dobsons performance in week 2. If he keeps doing that I don't see why they would bench him. I do think both WR are interchangable in this role.

I picked Dobson up after week one in a 32 team league. Hope he keeps being involved.

I liked Dobson as a rookie prospect. I think he is a very good blocker and a WR that I thought would be a good fit for the Vikings before they gave up multiple draft picks to move up with NE and draft Patterson.

The 2013 rookie draft was pretty poor for wide receivers which in that context made Dobson a better prospect relative to the other options available.

He struggled with some injuries and LaFell took over the role in the offense that I think Dobson was drafted for. When LaFell comes back it is not clear to me if he will resume being the starter of if they continue with Dobson. Hard to argue with Dobsons performance in week 2. If he keeps doing that I don't see why they would bench him. I do think both WR are interchangable in this role.

I picked Dobson up after week one in a 32 team league. Hope he keeps being involved.
I don't really agree that Gronk will be double or triple teamed. He gets moved around so much he ends up in isolation or exploiting zone coverage a lot.

also, Dobson was not all that impressive against the Bills. It was a product of a high-volume. He was 4th in targets. I like him but LaFell's job is probably just fine come mid-October.

Had a nice game last week. Thoughts on Dobson this season?
Unless he gets 4 Tds in the next few games he will be waived when lafell gets back.
Should be interesting. I don't think LaFell is more talented.
Lafell has infinitely better hands and savvy than dobson, who is a better vertical threat and more physically imposing.
When is Mr. LaFell due back?

Unless he gets 4 Tds in the next few games he will be waived when lafell gets back.
Lafell has infinitely better hands and savvy than dobson, who is a better vertical threat and more physically imposing.
10/18

I don't really agree that Gronk will be double or triple teamed. He gets moved around so much he ends up in isolation or exploiting zone coverage a lot.

also, Dobson was not all that impressive against the Bills. It was a product of a high-volume. He was 4th in targets. I like him but LaFell's job is probably just fine come mid-October.
:shrug: could be. Dobson was undrafted in a 32 team league that requires 3WR to start and offers the option of a 4th WR as a flex. So out of 106 WR drafted Dobson was not among them.

10/18
Is LaFell really coming back? Aren't we still in the dark on his injury status? I'm only asking because I really haven't followed closely, and thinking Dobson might be a decent speculative add.

ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss believes Aaron Dobson would be New England's starting X receiver if the season started today.
Another offseason, another positive story on Dobson. Without question, Dobson has flashed in past spring and training camp practices, but he's never been able to stay healthy when the calendar flips to September through December. With just one year left on his deal, it's now or never for Dobson.

Source: ESPN.com 
Jun 15 - 9:36 AM

Users who are viewing this thread