What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Music Thread - Spoon, The War on Drugs, Parquet Courts (2 Viewers)

I am sure this will make some wonder, "is it 1981 again?", but the new Styx album, Crash of the Crown, is really, really good.  Their prior album from 2017, The Mission, was excellent, and this new one is nearly as good.  Who knew these guys still had albums these good in them?? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not feeling Lorde’s new album at all, which is disappointing. Lyrics are solid but the music is kinda forgettable IMO.

Not feeling Lorde’s new album at all, which is disappointing. Lyrics are solid but the music is kinda forgettable IMO.
Listened to two tracks. Unexcited. Liked the production and drama of her first two. Apparently she's in a happy place and her music reflects that. I can't possibly begrudge that. Doesn't make for great art, but that she's happy is a very good thing. Nice to be wealthy and from New Zealand right now, that's for sure. Enjoy it! 

The girls from Meet Me @ The Altar have gotten the big hype with a New York Times profile accompanying their debut EP.  I don't think they're the saviors of Rock 'n Roll but they're put out a solid Pop Punk record with the singer particularly leaning toward Pop. Their drummer is a beast.

Another plug to check out Inhaler’s new (and debut) album - It won’t always be like this.  

strong front to back and is a proper album and not just a collection of singles.  

I have been waiting all summer for the new The Bronx album to drop today... but the Teenage Bottlerocket album (that surprised me by dropping today as well) is totally going to be my new earworm - and I am only half way though it at this time. Those guys are too old to be making such fun albums. 

I wouldn't have thought that IDLES covering Metallica wouldn't be what I'd want to hear to start off my RR... but today, no gracias.

weird week with LOTS of live tracks along with the usual remixes- Squid, Pixies, Konstrukt (thurston moore), Dead Can Dance, King Krule, Weezer, 

Turnstile's new album GLOW ON is a very enjoyable blend of Punk, Stadium Rock and more experimental sounds.  It sounds great when played really loud.

The way albums get released nowadays means almost half of the album has previously been released as singles or EPs but it's cool to hear them stretch out across the full fifteen tracks.

Eephus said:
Turnstile's new album GLOW ON is a very enjoyable blend of Punk, Stadium Rock and more experimental sounds.  It sounds great when played really loud.

The way albums get released nowadays means almost half of the album has previously been released as singles or EPs but it's cool to hear them stretch out across the full fifteen tracks.
I've had a chance to sit with the album and reviews for about a day now and something strikes me. There's always been a difference between what hardcore kids will accept and that which the mainstream critics will tell them to accept. The organic movements derived by and accepted by hardcore kids has always escaped critical acclaim or "downisms." Being compared to 311 cannot help Turnstile. I hope they don't fall into the hardcore trap of being booted from the scene organically. 

It's weird. They were noted to be having problems with other hardcore bands over their sound. What always struck me about the true hardcore scene is that it was, above all other things, finicky about when to use its energy and violence. I had been watching a lot of them lately, and the kids dancing don't look like they're holding each other up, like they don't have the physical capacity nor desire to truly hardcore dance and stage dive. I hear the "BOOM BOOM BOOM" coming from the song "T.L.C." and the nod to dancing in "DANCE-OFF" as well as the complete breakdowns in "HOLIDAY" and "MYSTERY" and I wonder if they're going to keep the attention of the real hardcore kids, or whether the dancers resemble what the new critics of the band say they are: a reasonable but inauthentic facsimile of hardcore.

I hope not.

I sincerely hope that's not the case. I dig the album and its sound. Then again, I was never given to hardcore or its violent crowd expressions of "dance" and the like. 

I also wish the dance interludes in GLOW ON were as good as Refused's in The Shape Of Punk To Come. That was real Swedish house music going on during that album. Turnstile might be doing their version of hip dance music, but it falls flat to me. That's really just my take on the whole thing. Their rock songs rule, it's just that their dance interludes are a bit weak and underwater for my taste. 

I love overground big beat stuff, though. 

Also, if I sound negative, I'm not trying to be. I thoroughly enjoyed the singles from this album and really dig the whole thing. 

By the way, a pre-order of Turnstile's GLOW ON would have gotten you a 25 dollar record on Amazon just weeks ago. I almost did, but figured I'd just get it when it came out, if I wanted to, that is. It's already up to one hundred resale. That and a Gulch rugby is also hot fashion on the resale market. They're charging about a hundred a pop for band merch. Hardcore is going the way of the Supreme™ model, it seems. 

Just posting for all you oldsters who might want to keep tabs on that sort of stuff. ;)

I'm only about 85% of the way through it at this point, however, this turnstile album is looking like it may be right near the top of my AoTY list.

I didn't expect to like Chubby and the Gang because they seemed like another group of loud, aggressively dumb Brits.  I used to enjoy that sound but not so much since I became a grumpy old man during the pandemic.

After a couple of songs I thought not bad but there's no way they can keep it up for fifteen songs.  But they delivered a fun rockin' album with tons of hooks and nods to classic Rock 'n Roll music.

I didn't expect to like Chubby and the Gang because they seemed like another group of loud, aggressively dumb Brits.  I used to enjoy that sound but not so much since I became a grumpy old man during the pandemic.

After a couple of songs I thought not bad but there's no way they can keep it up for fifteen songs.  But they delivered a fun rockin' album with tons of hooks and nods to classic Rock 'n Roll music.
you had me at loud aggressively dumb.

feel like I've playlisted them before...maybe singles ahead of this album?

Look at me repping three records in a week.

Indigo De Souza's album Any Shape You Take lives up to its title.  The single is really poppy but her sound is generally more girl rock with guitars.  If you hate Auto-Tune, skip the first song of the album.

Some of you won't like this at all but NV will probably love it more than I do.

Some of the stuff that's popping up from the humongous Metallica covers album (Blacklist) is interesting, fun, dare I say even good?

IDLES though, I think I've lost the taste

Neither of the new ABBA songs seems like a classic on first listen but I'm willing to suspend my snobbishness because it's new music from ABBA.

JZilla said:
Some of the stuff that's popping up from the humongous Metallica covers album (Blacklist) is interesting, fun, dare I say even good?

IDLES though, I think I've lost the taste

Really like Volbeat's version of Don't Tread on Me. Would like to hear their spin on earlier Metallica. 

If you aren't totally out on IDLES yet, you might like the new one from The Shadracks. They mine a similar Post-Punk vein but with a bit more of a Classic Rock sounds.

The singer is the son of UK Punk character Billy Childish and the bass player is from The Horrors.

Spoon covering Tom Petty sounds so natural I can't believe it hasn't happened before
For those of you that would still enjoy hearing Petty played live, "Southern Accents" is really, really good cover band.  From Nashville but they play the Midwest a lot.  Not a big fan of cover bands, but they are legit.

Paul McCartney has an album collaborating with current people (phoebe bridger's, st vincent, blood orange on my RR today)? Those songs sound pretty good so far. 
Great collection.  Big, big fan of Dominic Fike and his cover of "King of Venus" is exceptional.  I'm still bummed he had to cancel Lollapalooza...was going to see his show the day before at House of Blues in Chicago.  Very excited for his second record.

girl in red - If I Could Make It Go Quiet - Norwegian next big thing aiming to be a blockbuster pop album full of anthems, hooks, huge production.
The song 'Serotonin" fits your description perfectly.  Not my thing, but that song is catchy as hell.

If anyone likes the Greta Van Fleet, Rival Sons throwback 70's rock sound, Dirty Honey's album is a fun listen.
Greta is much better as a listen.  Then I saw them on SNL and I just can't shake the visual.  It's music, so who cares, right?  I'd agree, but I just can't shake the way they look when they play.  :shiver:

New Modest Mouse song - "We Are Between"
Banger by Modest Mouse.  Great chorus.

If anybody likes this and doesn't have any RL Burnside; Mr. Wizard is a great album. A ### Pocket of Whiskey he made with The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion is cool too.
"Kiss my ###.  'Cause your girlfriend still loves me!!!"  :blues god:  Love me some RL Burnside (& JSBX)!

Pitchfork's review:

"The title promises Van Halen, but the volume rarely exceeds Rick Springfield. Paired with Cuomo’s eternally boyish voice, the result is a cuddly, Build-a-Bear tribute to ’80 metal, with little of the rowdiness this music embodied in its heyday. The only parents this metal could piss off are ones with strong opinions about Pinkerton."
:raises hand:. Pinkerton is still my favorite Weezer record.

I'm usually not a fan of skits but the spoken word intros drew me into the songs.
Agree with you on skits, they usually are horrible.  However, I did think the ones in the Savage Mode 2 release (w/ Morgan Freeman) were really good and added something.

So I'm primarily focused on hip hop  but love good alternative rock/pop.  What recent releases do you lads think I should check?  I love artists like Radiohead, Tame Impala, Black Keys, Walkmen/Hamilton L., Arcade Fire, UNKLE, Cage The Elephant, Mike Snow, Broken Bells, etc

So I'm primarily focused on hip hop  but love good alternative rock/pop.  What recent releases do you lads think I should check?  I love artists like Radiohead, Tame Impala, Black Keys, Walkmen/Hamilton L., Arcade Fire, UNKLE, Cage The Elephant, Mike Snow, Broken Bells, etc
Dinosaur Jr. had a new one out, but I didn't feel it upon first listen. YMMV.

Boy, I must have been ornery. The first song is actually quite good.

The Black Keys' Blues covers album this year was pretty decent. I really liked Tame Impala's new one too.

We did a 2021 song draft recently. There's a playlist with songs you'll like and hate.

Fontaine's DC, Squid, The Beths, Shame, Sleaford Mods

Fontaine's DC, Squid, The Beths, Shame, Sleaford Mods
I know none of these bands.  Appreciate it and major thanks for the playlist link Eephus! Big ups to whoever drafted Isaiah Rashad's latest at #22

I know none of these bands.  Appreciate it and major thanks for the playlist link Eephus! Big ups to whoever drafted Isaiah Rashad's latest at #22
That song was totally in my head at the time. I picked a couple that didn't wind up there. "Tell The Vision" by Pop Smoke and Kanye West was another I picked.

Major said:
Telethon - Swim Out Past The Breakers

Like, 70% of my Release Radar is Metallica covers this week:  PUP, White Reaper, Portugal the Man, Alessia Cara, Cherry Glazzer... and ironically, there is a Megadeath song included as well.

Like, 70% of my Release Radar is Metallica covers this week:  PUP, White Reaper, Portugal the Man, Alessia Cara, Cherry Glazzer... and ironically, there is a Megadeath song included as well.
mine too. Mac Demarco too. and Idles. Its like when that Gang of Four covers album dropped.

but some others of note..

pist idiots

radiohead (looks like a b side or unreleased old tune from Kid A days)

we were promised jetpacks

amyl and the sniffers

and of course GRMLN and GBV

Oh, I just came across The Antlers new album Green To Gold @The Dreaded Marcohad gotten me into their older album Hospice a while ago, and I can't vouchsafe for this album with this crowd, but I can tell you that the recording sounds immaculate on a pair of Grados with a DAC in tow. Just really well done.

The songwriter said he wasn't going for any "eerie" feelings with this album, rather, he was going for a Sunday morning listening album.

Proceed if you wish with those sentiments in mind.

Oh, I just came across The Antlers new album Green To Gold @The Dreaded Marcohad gotten me into their older album Hospice a while ago, and I can't vouchsafe for this album with this crowd, but I can tell you that the recording sounds immaculate on a pair of Grados with a DAC in tow. Just really well done.

The songwriter said he wasn't going for any "eerie" feelings with this album, rather, he was going for a Sunday morning listening album.

Hospice is sad and beautiful. And still one of my favorites from the aughts. 

This new album is also gorgeous in a very different way. 

You got my attention with “eerie”.

I’d never heard The Antlers before the last few days.  Green to Gold is good but, wow, that Hospice album is hauntingly beautiful. Thanks for mentioning.

new albums from Pist Idiots and Amyl and the Sniffers are good. Pist Idiots add some acoustic guitars and kinda brings it down a bit from earlier drunk-punk stuff. Amyl feels like more of the same from the last album... a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread