What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Music Thread - Spoon, The War on Drugs, Parquet Courts (2 Viewers)

Just searched this topic for "Silk Sonic" and nothing came up.  How has this song not been mentioned already?  Bruno Mars?  Anderson .Paak?  "Leave the Door Open".  Sweet and sultry soul, baby!

Also, just released today, a funky tune by Durand Jones and the Indications (I believe I've pimped them in previous music threads).

Witchoo

This is the kind of song you'd roller skate to.  Really digging it.

J

Ok, so I listened to my first ever DJ Khaled album this past week.  Is there like some contractual obligation for him to have the statements "DJ Khaled" and "We the best music" included on EVERY song?  Honestly I found it comical that each song included one or both of those phrases.

That said, I really enjoyed "I Did It".  I'm a big fan of songs where the singer is obnoxiously confident.  I love the sample from "Layla" that's used.  Makes for a good tune in my book.

I'm going to bed,

J

The Black Keys' new album of Delta Blues covers is a good listen although it gets kind of samey after a while.
I like this Black Keys album better than the past 4 or 5 they put out. Huge RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough fan, so like the sound. I think they do a good job. Not as great as the originals, but this is sound the Black Keys should return to. Their polished sound on their Danger Mouse records weren't working for me. If anybody likes this and doesn't have any RL Burnside; Mr. Wizard is a great album. A ### Pocket of Whiskey he made with The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion is cool too.

I don't care what anyone says, I love it too!

It is the kind of samey that I dig tho!
Big BK fan. Need to give new album more time. Loved their last release alot more. Only so much you can do with these old covers though if you're gonna stay true to them. 

Minneapolis all-caps band NATL PARK SRVC is a seven piece with horns doing a goofy entertaining take on anthemic Indie.  The video only has 414 views so you'll be getting in on the ground floor :thumbup:

The Sharks

Ok, so I listened to my first ever DJ Khaled album this past week.  Is there like some contractual obligation for him to have the statements "DJ Khaled" and "We the best music" included on EVERY song?  Honestly I found it comical that each song included one or both of those phrases.

That said, I really enjoyed "I Did It".  I'm a big fan of songs where the singer is obnoxiously confident.  I love the sample from "Layla" that's used.  Makes for a good tune in my book.

I'm going to bed,

J
Generally a staple of mix tapes in the hip hop world, but I'm sure you know that. My friends and I used to walk down the street going "DJ CLUE! DESERT STORM-STORM-STORM." We used to imagine us doing that out loud at acoustic night, too, but decided against it.

Was this a mix tape/CD independent release or a label release?

Last edited by a moderator:
J. Cole with a new album and Billboard Top 100 #2 single called "my.life." ft. 21 Savage and Morray

No cap.

Unfortunately, the song really isn't that good and borrows liberally from Styles P and Pharaohe Monche's "The Life," using the exact same chorus Pharoahe sings (and presumably penned) without crediting them in the "featuring" section of the track. These days, I guess good money begets good money, and they've paid off the appropriate people not to take credit, lest the original from 2002 or so become a smash all over again.

my.life.

The Life

RR this week...

A place to bury strangers...I might have. (the answer is a powerboner from that song. Rips. Hints of Jesus & Mary chain)

Together Pangaea going for power pop...sounds good.

New Dead Can Dance single!?! A bit like an instrumental soundtrack to a massage so far...but I've still got 5 or 6 minutes left- maybe some vocals will kick in. (Eta...just kicked in...but might also be the mescaline)

New Wolf Alice is good too. Having a hard time getting excited for Liz Phair in 2021 and that's with the first sentence I heard from it being her talking about her ##### (her words, don't ban me)

New Wolf Alice is good too. Having a hard time getting excited for Liz Phair in 2021 and that's with the first sentence I heard from it being her talking about her ##### (her words, don't ban me)
Really liked Wolf Alice's first album alot, the second had it's moments, this one on first listen is kind of all over the place. Seem to be trying to find their sound and struggling a bit. Need to give it a few more spins.

I'm listening to Van Weezer right now and I can't figure out if I'm being punished for something I did in my early teens to get sent to my room or whether this is voluntary. Because I'm unmoved yet immobile and unable to turn it off for some reason. The song I'm listening to blatantly rips off "Crazy Train" by Ozzy/Randy. Am I even going to look up the song to see what it's called? Nope, not worth the effort.

I've heard worse. This is total meh. Pitchfork's review kicks wonderful ###, which is a bit rare given their pretentiousness, but this little aside nails it. Last line cinches it.

"The title promises Van Halen, but the volume rarely exceeds Rick Springfield. Paired with Cuomo’s eternally boyish voice, the result is a cuddly, Build-a-Bear tribute to ’80 metal, with little of the rowdiness this music embodied in its heyday. The only parents this metal could piss off are ones with strong opinions about Pinkerton."

I really enjoyed this Springsteen / The Killers collab on A Dustland Fairytale: link
That came on my release radar in the background today and I did not realize it was a co-lab... I did, however, find it odd how much dude from the The Killers sounded like the Boss all of the sudden tho.

Listened to the new Vince Staples and Tyler, The Creator singles. Vince is in fine acerbic form, Tyler is just slamming with this new one

Rolls Royce pull up, black boy hop out
Shoutout to my mother and my father, didn't pull out
MSG sell out, #### these #####s yap 'bout?
Whips on whips, my ancestors got they backs out (Yeah, oh)
Two, four, five hundred stacks for the hood (I dare you, #####)
Call me lumbеrjack 'cause I wish a ##### would race (Uh-huh, right)
She wеnt like "Ah, this the wish-a-#####-could face" (Uh)
They ain't gettin' paper like they should, wait
(You #####s woulda, coulda, shoulda, oh, ####)

SAULT NEW ALBUM!

JOYWAVE NEW EP!

KHRUANGBIN SINGLE!

OTHER STUFF IN MY RELEASE RADAR THAT I WANT TO LISTEN TO ALL AT ONCE!

It's gonna be a good day (until my high hopes all get dashed...)

stuff on my RR im looking forward to hearing..

Car Seat Headrest

Pist Idiots

Tropical #### storm

Modest Mouse

Gong Gong Gong lll 

PINS

Snapped Ankles 

Rainbow Kitten Surprise

Hopefully we can resurrect those song and album polls for '21.  Too late for the half-year song draft, @Northern Voice?
I'd love to do one... I'm two weeks into a new job and super busy but I am home part of tomorrow and will try to get one going... and then let everyone one else carry it in terms of collaborative playlist (everyone adds songs) and spreadsheet if necessary, I can't be a proper commish right now. 

Inhaler’s debut album - It Won’t Always Be Like This - looking like it will debut at #1 in the U.K. tomorrow.  It is fantastic.  And, a real album. Which is refreshing.  

Inhaler’s debut album - It Won’t Always Be Like This - looking like it will debut at #1 in the U.K. tomorrow.  It is fantastic.  And, a real album. Which is refreshing.  

For those unaware, this is Bono’s son’s band.  That influence is very apparent.

For those unaware, this is Bono’s son’s band.  That influence is very apparent.
He sounds like his old man, better at 21 years old imo, but the band doesn’t sound like U2.  There are a ton of influences in there from the Killers to the Stone Roses. 

Eephus said:
The new Killers album is the best (or at least most) Springsteen record since Magic.
I think some Killers fans may hate it. I saw it compared to Neon Bible by Arcade Fire and I think it's a good comparison. More moody, less bombastic than their other albums in both cases but lots of good Springsteen-indebted tunes, telling stories, no clunkers but less peaks as well.

I think some Killers fans may hate it. I saw it compared to Neon Bible by Arcade Fire and I think it's a good comparison. More moody, less bombastic than their other albums in both cases but lots of good Springsteen-indebted tunes, telling stories, no clunkers but less peaks as well.

I'm usually not a fan of skits but the spoken word intros drew me into the songs.

Users who are viewing this thread