What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Oakland Raiders thread (1 Viewer)

yeah you might be getting a little carried away here.....

you weren't even the best team in the west....and I could probably argue with you jab for jab how KC in all three phases of the game creates some tough if not tougher matchups...
LOL, well I did call out my homerism right off the bat, thanks for keeping me honest. We absolutely weren't the best team in the West -- precisely because we lost both games to KC. Their winning run since last year has been incredible, and they've found different ways of beating different styles of teams for two seasons now.

But to me (again with rose colored glasses), KC just didn't have the same spark, that magic, that unity of purpose and charismatic leadership that the Raiders have with Carr. That may not be something that wins games alone, but it definitely helps. All those 4th Q rallies are testament to the fact that this team never said die (a far cry from the squad we've had for the last 10+ years).

You're not.

Bob McNair was the owner who said, screw the Raiders, they get nothing, when the LA deal was being made.

He was still offended that Al Davis had sued the NFL,  20 years before McNair became an owner.

#### that guy, #### his pretend contender of a team, and #### him for wanting to play a game in Mexico, but not wanting to give up a home game, so they took one of the Raiders' home games. 

I hope there is 95,000 brown Raider fans booing the backup QB they are paying 17 million to.

I will cheer for Xavier Su'a-filo however, as the Texans chose him over Derek Carr, because McNair is a smart owner who hired smart people. #### them. 

I think now would be a good time for another anti-Texans, anti-McNair post to inject some energy into this thread since I think we're all feeling a bit down in the dumps since the Carr injury. It's not feeling like our first playoff appearance in 14 years in here.  2 days til kick off. Let's shock the world with our rookie QB starting in a playoff game on the road!!!

I think now would be a good time for another anti-Texans, anti-McNair post to inject some energy into this thread since I think we're all feeling a bit down in the dumps since the Carr injury. It's not feeling like our first playoff appearance in 14 years in here.  2 days til kick off. Let's shock the world with our rookie QB starting in a playoff game on the road!!!
I don't think an OAK victory at HOU this weekend would classify as shocking the world....I think you could trot just about anybody out there at QB against that team and have a real chance at winning....you may still actually have the advantage at the QB position....

@massraider

We can use some anti-Texans venom in this thread when you get a chance. :) Something to excite the troops (ie. us depressed Raiders fans in this thread ever since the Carr injury).

Looking back at the Texans game in Mexico City, that was the game that our RBs caught a lot of balls in that game, with Richard and Olawale scoring. Seems like that needs to be a big part of the passing game plan going into this one with a rookie QB.

Then again, with an unknown rookie QB who everyone expects to dink and dunk, I look forward to the few times they do try to surprise the opponent by letting him sling it around a bit.

You're not.

Bob McNair was the owner who said, screw the Raiders, they get nothing, when the LA deal was being made.

He was still offended that Al Davis had sued the NFL,  20 years before McNair became an owner.

#### that guy, #### his pretend contender of a team, and #### him for wanting to play a game in Mexico, but not wanting to give up a home game, so they took one of the Raiders' home games. 

I hope there is 95,000 brown Raider fans booing the backup QB they are paying 17 million to.

I will cheer for Xavier Su'a-filo however, as the Texans chose him over Derek Carr, because McNair is a smart owner who hired smart people. #### them. 
I was thinking about all the anti McNair talk when it was determined that we play them again. I would still love to see Davis flip McNair off but another win would suffice.

has anyone seen interviews where reporters ask Davis's view on McNair hating on his father for no reason

just to get people angry about the match up with Houston (since massraider seems to have a life or job or something that's keeping him from this thread ;) )

here's some quotes from an article around the time that the Rams were awarded the LA deal:

"""

“Everybody wins in this deal,’’ Dolphins owner Stephen M. Ross said to reporters while leaving the meeting.

‘‘What about the fans of St. Louis?’’ he was asked.

‘‘Well, somebody has to lose,’’ Ross said.

The Raiders also lose, and for reasons not entirely related to business merit. The Raiders lose because their partners hold a grudge.

‘‘Oakland gets nothing,’’ Texans owner Robert McNair. ‘‘Al used to sue us all the time.’’

McNair didn’t even join the league until 2002, and yet his feelings about the litigiousness of a man who had been dead for more than four years are blunt and raw. How do the owners who actually lived through the worst of the legal battles feel?

"""

eff him. eff the Texans. eff the Vegas odds that put us as the underdog in this game.

Karma, fate, destiny....those were all words I was thinking about since the Mexico City game.  Carr getting hurt was a devastating, crushing blow to Oakland and its fans.  I was down, but now.....now I'm thinking of those words and saying why not?  Sure, the odds are long for us now, but ####, let's kick some Texans ### and then bring on the Patriots.  I have no other hatred like my hatred for the accursed Patriots.  I mean that most sincerely.  The odds are long, but go back and look at what people were saying about us before the season started and then look at our record.  #### Carr getting hurt, lets go!  Beating Houston and then surprising the world and beating the Pats, in New England would be better than winning the superbowl for me.  OK, maybe not better but you know what I mean.

Let's go

just to get people angry about the match up with Houston (since massraider seems to have a life or job or something that's keeping him from this thread ;) )

here's some quotes from an article around the time that the Rams were awarded the LA deal:

"""

“Everybody wins in this deal,’’ Dolphins owner Stephen M. Ross said to reporters while leaving the meeting.

‘‘What about the fans of St. Louis?’’ he was asked.

‘‘Well, somebody has to lose,’’ Ross said.

The Raiders also lose, and for reasons not entirely related to business merit. The Raiders lose because their partners hold a grudge.

‘‘Oakland gets nothing,’’ Texans owner Robert McNair. ‘‘Al used to sue us all the time.’’

McNair didn’t even join the league until 2002, and yet his feelings about the litigiousness of a man who had been dead for more than four years are blunt and raw. How do the owners who actually lived through the worst of the legal battles feel?

"""

eff him. eff the Texans. eff the Vegas odds that put us as the underdog in this game.
I think we can all remember who we beat the week AL died with only 10 visible players on the field during the final play

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also been waiting for massraider to fire us up.  It sure doesn't feel like the first playoff game since 2002.  If you told any of us we'd made it this far (12-4 record) at the beginning of the year, none of us would have believed it.  I agree that we felt like we had lightning in a bottle this season, and that's rare in the NFL (and now everyone feels like we've gotten punched in the balls), but I am confident we have a young core of players that should repeat this type of success, especially with our O-line and skill players.  Defense has been a work in progress forever and will continue to improve.  I'm excited to have Joseph back this week and hopefully MEJ playing a full compliment of snaps..

That all being said, this playoff game is huge for the Raiders.  National media is down on this game, but who f'n cares.  We need a playoff win and it would be nice to get a dominating statement win, especially with a rookie QB.  I'm looking for the defense to show up big time this week after that s show in Denver.  We need this one.  The last game against Houston was closer than it should have been and I would like nothing more than a domination on Saturday.  

Get pumped.

I was very disappointed in the performance last week.  The whole team was flat. 

Connor Cook making first start ever, in a playoff game. First time ever, as I am sure you've read.  That sucks. 

I have no expectations for the postseason, well, except one. I'd like to see a better effort. If we are going to lose to Houston, and to me it's a toss up, let's go down swinging. 

Good to see Silver & Black around.

Also to see Raider Nation, even if he was just taking a break from Mike Francesa to tell us the season was over.

Very happy to hear that Karl Joseph is working hard to get back on the field this week.

But far more disappointed to hear that Donald Penn has just been ruled out.  (read on twitter - as per Levi Damien)

I was very disappointed in the performance last week.  The whole team was flat. 

Connor Cook making first start ever, in a playoff game. First time ever, as I am sure you've read.  That sucks. 

I have no expectations for the postseason, well, except one. I'd like to see a better effort. If we are going to lose to Houston, and to me it's a toss up, let's go down swinging. 

Good to see Silver & Black around.

Also to see Raider Nation, even if he was just taking a break from Mike Francesa to tell us the season was over.
This.  Lets see the Raiders team we saw all season until last week.  Lets see a young team full of energy and belief that the game is not over until the clock says 00:00 in the 4th quarter.  I know our chances are not good with a rookie starting his first game against a pretty good Houston D.  It is still exciting though. 

I'd be happy to talk some more smack about how you guys weren't even really that good, with Carr, if it will help you get fired up.....

The Raiders did stand a good chance to win the AFC this year for the simple reason that the AFC was weak.  There is no team that is dominant.  Pitt has no D.  KC has an average O at best.  Winning games by scoring on special teams or D is not sustainable.  NE has Brady and a decent but not great O.  The D has been playing decent as of late but is still average at best. 
Exactly.  This feels very similar to me as the 2000/2001 season when Goose jumped on Gannon like he was the last hoggie on planet earth and crushed our chances of moving on in the playoffs.

I state this because of the weakness of the conference.  In 2000/2001, had Gannon not been knocked out of that game I am very confident the Raiders would've beat the Ravens, moved on to Pitt the following week, won and then faced a bad Giant's team in the SB.  None of those are guarantees though.

This year, had Carr not got hurt, I feel we would've beat Denver, won the AFC West, had a bye week, won our first game, no matter the opponent and then could've beaten NE, but no guarantees obviously.

Basically, I too am lamenting the lost opportunity for a very real push for a Championship.  With that all said, I believe the Raiders can and will beat Houston this weekend.  After that...meh

Exactly.  This feels very similar to me as the 2000/2001 season when Goose jumped on Gannon like he was the last hoggie on planet earth and crushed our chances of moving on in the playoffs.

I state this because of the weakness of the conference.  In 2000/2001, had Gannon not been knocked out of that game I am very confident the Raiders would've beat the Ravens, moved on to Pitt the following week, won and then faced a bad Giant's team in the SB.  None of those are guarantees though.

This year, had Carr not got hurt, I feel we would've beat Denver, won the AFC West, had a bye week, won our first game, no matter the opponent and then could've beaten NE, but no guarantees obviously.

Basically, I too am lamenting the lost opportunity for a very real push for a Championship.  With that all said, I believe the Raiders can and will beat Houston this weekend.  After that...meh
yeah but not real sure any 2 seed really wants to see Ben, Bell, and Brown roll into town.....even with Carr, PIT is rolling right now.....

yeah but not real sure any 2 seed really wants to see Ben, Bell, and Brown roll into town.....even with Carr, PIT is rolling right now.....
I don't disagree, I just feel the Raiders would beat them with a healthy Carr and a bye week.  With Carr, the Raiders would be really rolling right now also.  Don't be shocked if Miami gives Pitt a better game then everyone thinks and almost wins.  I love taking the 10.5 points this game.  

well. I'd rather see them with Carr than without.

signed,

Stating the Obvious.

Funny, Blackhole, I was going to type up about that Ravens game in 2000/01 and my hatred for Siragusa ever since that day. I used to say an internal "eff you" every time that doofus showed up as a side line reporter on my TV screen. Just thinking about that game and that big doof gets me riled up!

well. I'd rather see them with Carr than without.

signed,

Stating the Obvious.

Funny, Blackhole, I was going to type up about that Ravens game in 2000/01 and my hatred for Siragusa ever since that day. I used to say an internal "eff you" every time that doofus showed up as a side line reporter on my TV screen. Just thinking about that game and that big doof gets me riled up!
 I literally tell him eff uu every time he's been on our sidelines.   i also time it for when the red light comes on his cameraman's camera.  I sit front row in the Blackhole and he hasn't come to our area in over 8 years, he sticks to the opposite corner end zone with the high wall and no fans around him.

I literally tell him eff uu every time he's been on our sidelines.   i also time it for when the red light comes on his cameraman's camera.  I sit front row in the Blackhole and he hasn't come to our area in over 8 years, he sticks to the opposite corner end zone with the high wall and no fans around him.

ha! love it! Eff that round piece of crap. Ugh. Just proves how fleeting these "good times" can be and how you have to take advantage of these moments when the stars align...which is why we're all so depressed right now with the Carr injury.

ps. Eff you, Goose!

Osemele is questionable and Mario hurt his labia and is questionable....

Everything is stacking up against the Raiders today.  I'm treating this like the Super Bowl though.  Friends, family, lots of appetizers, homemade stuffed cheddar bacon cheeseburgers on toasted onion rolls and brats.  Hoping for a fun day and at worst we'll eat and drink well.

RAAAAIIIIIIDERS!

silentmark said:
Playoff history for AR is average at best, just above .500 and he has been tagged a choker in some circles. Just sayin' ...
Those circles are moronic.  His teams do not choke in the playoffs.  Only three times has his team lost when it was favored, and two of those were to teams that went on to win the Super Bowl.  And he has coached his teams to four playoff road wins.  He is anything but a choker. 

Good to see the Raiders are dumping the super conservative game plan. I wanted them to establish the run but it was not working and we are down by 10 already.  Just go for it.  

Watch out, guys. That Hankmoody fella is gonna yell at you for being so negative.

Could you imagine next week in New England? My God, it would be 77-0. GREAT step forward this year... get Carr healthy and big things will come in '17.

The limitations of JDR become pretty glaring now.  Carr gets hurt and the whole team falls apart.  Cook has to be taken out of this game while it's still a game.  He is a decent coach, but he is not out gameplanning anyone.

Great season, just some bad luck at the end. Oak was a fun good young team to watch this year, I had Carr on my FF teams and always tried to catch them on Sundays.

My big hope is the team stays in Oakland, so much tradition there.

The limitations of JDR become pretty glaring now.  Carr gets hurt and the whole team falls apart.  Cook has to be taken out of this game while it's still a game.  He is a decent coach, but he is not out gameplanning anyone.
Disagree 100%.

You are assuming you know Matt can even throw a ball right now.

This team has made an insane amount of progress in the the last 24 months; anyone discounting that due to injuries and bad luck is just piling on.

Disagree 100%.

You are assuming you know Matt can even throw a ball right now.

This team has made an insane amount of progress in the the last 24 months; anyone discounting that due to injuries and bad luck is just piling on.
He shouldn't be dressed if he can't play.  There is no way the Texans should blow anyone out.

He shouldn't be dressed if he can't play.
Look at the roster and tell me who should have taken his spot today?  They literally do not have another QB (I don't count that guy off the couch they added Tuesday).

This is bad breaks all around; but it's a promising roster and saying the coach is suspect based on this is nuts.

Look at the roster and tell me who should have taken his spot today?  They literally do not have another QB (I don't count that guy off the couch they added Tuesday).

This is bad breaks all around; but it's a promising roster and saying the coach needs to be fired based on this is nuts.
When did I say he should be fired?

This is bad breaks all around; but it's a promising roster and saying the coach needs to be fired based on this is nuts.
You can't go into a playoff game with one QB.  He had his helmet on sure seemed like he could go in.

Good season.  Big step forward.  Team learned how to win and close out games. At beginning of season all I wanted was to take the next step and make the playoffs and they did that.  Looking forward to next year.  

From the anticipation leading up to the Karl Joseph pick to making it into the playoffs...fun season. Looking forward to next year, obviously we gotta get better at ILB, but we really need to get a dependable WR3. Seth Roberts ain't gonna cut it. 

Users who are viewing this thread