What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Oakland Raiders thread (1 Viewer)

massraider said:
This is a gut punch, no doubt.

Now I am just hoping for a Cinderella postseason.  The team already exceeded our/media expectations for the year, the fact that we were having thoughts about home field advantage bears that out.  Anything less than AFC title game was a disappointment before that injury.  Now, there's almost no pressure on me as a fan, I have no expectations for wins.  

Jeff Hostetler-Earl Morrall-Tom Brady.  All backups that led teams to Super Bowls eventually.  If we can win next week, or Denver can win today, we get a few weeks of practice with McLovin before the divisional round of playoffs.

Hell, I'm still rooting  for MIA next week, and thinking about the #1 seed.  

Game manager QB and strong running game, average defense is good enough for #1 seed in NFC, no reason we can't play with anyone other than NE in the playoffs.  
Dilfer was a back up as well

I'm gonna hit the egg nog hard this year. What a bitter sweet Christmas. 

Lets see see our guys put up a big fight in the next fe games to show what they're made of. 

Happy Holidays, Raider Nation. 

Honestly the way the raiders run the ball, and as good as the defense has been the last 6-7 weeks, getting better week by week, I don't think it's a crazy to say that McLovin has a good enough arm to win some playoff games. I still like the Raiders chances. 

Rootin' hard for the Raiders now. If it's any consolation, it looks like McGloin is the recipient of some Dak like fortune, where he's surrounded by a great O-line and skill players.

Silver-lining, looks like a great opportunity for JDR to challenge the defense to kick it up a notch.

Honestly the way the raiders run the ball, and as good as the defense has been the last 6-7 weeks, getting better week by week, I don't think it's a crazy to say that McLovin has a good enough arm to win some playoff games. I still like the Raiders chances. 
He's actually not bad. Started out a house of fire when he came in but then had a couple bad games with bad reads a couple years back when the team totally stunk around him. It's far better now.

The defense has definitely played better the past month or so. But is the pass defense good enough to hold teams under 20 pts without Carr needing to score 30+ pts? I'm not so sure. There we're a lot of wide open receivers running around the field yesterday. Guess we'll see how they do. I'll take 12 wins any season. It was a great year and a fun team to watch. 

He's actually not bad. Started out a house of fire when he came in but then had a couple bad games with bad reads a couple years back when the team totally stunk around him. It's far better now.
Yeah - agreed. He was en fuego when he had opportunity, and that team kinda sucked comparatively.

now he has a much better OL, receivers, RBs and coach. 

Obviously Carr is better, but the ship ain't sunk yet.  

Think the game plan this week is jumbo sets, utilizing the little rookie RBs in the passing game, and obviously running the ball a lot. I'm hoping there's short passing on early downs, let's throw to Jalen and Deandre and Clive on 1st down, and get some 2nd and 2 spots to run in. Quick counts I hope, we really don't need false starts this week. 

Derek Carr - QB - Raiders

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Derek Carr (broken leg) will have a 6-8 week recovery timetable after he undergoes surgery on Tuesday.
The timetable means Carr could potentially return for the Super Bowl if he hits the absolute lowest part of the range, but he is likely out for the rest of the season. Matt McGloin will lead Oakland into the playoffs with Carr sidelined. The impending free agent could earn himself a nice paycheck with a strong showing the next several weeks.

Think the game plan this week is jumbo sets, utilizing the little rookie RBs in the passing game, and obviously running the ball a lot. I'm hoping there's short passing on early downs, let's throw to Jalen and Deandre and Clive on 1st down, and get some 2nd and 2 spots to run in. Quick counts I hope, we really don't need false starts this week. 
Solid. And stay out of long down and distance situations. 

That last pass to A.C by McGroin to seal the game  was a gutsy and really nice pass ...who knows what will happen with those receivers he has

I live in MA and its been awful since Carr went down...past fans laughing about our chances going down with Carr...posting stupid memes making fun of his injury...who makes fun of an injury like that? No class or respect

I live in MA and its been awful since Carr went down...past fans laughing about our chances going down with Carr...posting stupid memes making fun of his injury...who makes fun of an injury like that? No class or respect
You can smell the fear oozing out of those fans.

obviously not fans of good football.

unlike those who have come in here and said how bummed they are for us

That last pass to A.C by McGroin to seal the game  was a gutsy and really nice pass ...who knows what will happen with those receivers he has
Does McGloin seem to favor one receiver over the other?  Don't know much about him, does he strike you as a stretch the field kind of guy or more close to the vest?

Let's just ride that O-line! They can be a dominating force, we'll just churn out the yards on the ground and McGloin will need to make some clutch 1st downs here and there and we'll be in every game.

From Carr himself via Twitter yesterday:

Surgery couldn't have gone better! Received great news! Already started the recovery process!Thank you for all of your prayers as I heal up!

Does McGloin seem to favor one receiver over the other?  Don't know much about him, does he strike you as a stretch the field kind of guy or more close to the vest?
When McGloin was the starter Cooper and Crabtree weren't on the team yet. In his limited time with the two he targeted Cooper, but that could've been by design. It will be interesting to see how much he does push the ball down field. Everyone is talking about how they need to run the ball. But McGloin has never played behind an O-line this good either. So I'm looking forward to see how he can do when he has some time to throw in the pocket. I doubt Musgrave will be testing the Denver DBs too often unless they're playing from behind. But I can see them getting the ball out to the RBs and TEs quite a bit this week. 

Has an average arm at best.  

I was kicking around the internet reading about him.  Was a walk-on at Penn State, then beat out some 4 star recruit to be a 2 year starter there.  Won the college award given to the best forner walk-on the country (this is called the Bulsworth trophy.  I've never heard of it.  Why not?  This is a great award, everyone loves Cinderella types).  

Didn't receive draftable grades coming out of college, His college scouting reports were of the 'subpar arm, get by with guile and savvy' type.  If you've read one, you've read them all.  

Was part of Raiders 2013 UDFA class.  Beat out the traded-for Matt Flynn and draft pick Tyler Wilson and became the backup to Terrelle Pryor.  Came off the bench and beat the Texans, and played solid ball the rest of the year, minus the inevitable clunker against our kryptonite, the Chiefs.  Game logs

Played  very well as a rookie, with Rashad Jenning as his RB, Rod Streater and and Denarius Moore as his WRs, and a rookie Mychal Rivera his TE.  

According to PFR, his nickname is the Red Rile.  I will not be calling him that.  

He strikes me as a bit of a gambler that will give his WRs chances to make plays down the field even if they are covered.  I don't expect that this week as the gameplan vs Denver should be run heavy and utilizing the backs and TEs as others have mentioned.  I don't have much to base that opinion on, however, since last time he started the team was terrible and the receivers were nowhere the caliber of these guys.  Just his makeup and the couple throws he made last week give me that sense.  

Thanks for the info guys.  Too bad McGloin couldn't have a cupcake on the schedule when he takes the snaps this weekend.

I'm getting a "just don't get hurt" vibe this weekend, with check-downs to RB / TE / maybe Crabber.

Other than the fact that the Raiders need to win this week to secure a bye, I think it's a good thing McG is facing the Denver D before the playoffs begin. Iron sharpens.

Maybe his go to guy will be Rivera since they played together in 2013. Some familiarity there in real game play. I don't mind if they work the TE's up the seem at all (does that even work against the Den D?) since I've always loved those plays to TEs being a Christensen and Casper fan as a kid. Light em up with TE passes, kid!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not yet.

McLovin and Cook will be active.  Not even a guy on our PS.
Yeah. I checked the roster on Raiders.com as well and noted that we don't have a PS QB either. They have to sign a #3 for the playoffs, no? Or maybe we have a WR or DB or RB who played QB in high school that could be our emergency guy if we got that desperate. Heck, if our #2 Cooks gets forced into a game, we're, um, cooked at that point, so maybe we don't need a #3 at all at this point in the season. Not like we have a long haul ahead of us, even if we do win in the playoffs. 

I just convinced myself that the Raiders won't sign another QB this season. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is one silver lining to the McGloin situation, it's that he gets to audition for a nice backup salary next year.

Cook is bargain basement for 3 more years, so if McGloin looks good, I would feel great about having a backup QB the team likes for a few mill a year.  I have no problem paying good money for a good backup.

There's always the possibility that he plays TOO well, and someone signs him as a starter, but that would have to mean the team did well in the playoffs, and I am fine with that too. :D

McGloin looked good as a rookie with an absolutely dog#### OL, Rashad Jennings at RB and a WR corps of Denarius Targaryan, Rod Streater and Andre Holmes. He's now got two more NFL years under his belt and is in position to win playoff games and earn Brock Oxweiler money this offseason. I remain hopeful as long as Mario Edwards and Khalil Mack stay healthy.

Hey, no pressure, anything good happens this season now, it's gravy.

I do wonder if the defense answers the bell, realizing they have to step up, and help their new QB.

He gets this week or prep, and if the team hangs onto a top seed two more weeks to play a wild card winner.  I have this weird sense of freedom, if they win any games, I'll be stoked, but won't be disapponted the way I would be if we lost with Carr.

The team needs to avoid mistakes vs. Denver, this is a winnable game with any QB, as DEN's offense is not scary at all.  This DEN game is a coach's game, it's on Norton and Musgrave to put their players in a position to succeed, especially Musgrave, and on Norton to have the players focused, and anxious to step up.

Not sure what to expect, younger fill in players will have a lot to prove. Still, it helps that Ward, Wolfe, and Ware will be out for the day. 

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/30/gary-kubiak-wade-phillips-future-with-broncos/

Missing veterans. The Broncos ruled out defensive end Derek Wolfe (neck), safety T.J. Ward (concussion) and tight end A.J. Derby (concussion) for Sunday’s game against the Raiders. Linebacker Brandon Marshall (hamstring) is listed as questionable.

Those absences will set up bigger roles for the Broncos’ young players including safeties Justin Simmons and Will Parks, defensive end Adam Gotsis, and tight ends Jeff Heuerman and Henry Krieger-Coble.

Marshall hasn’t run full speed much this week. Corey Nelson would get his fourth consecutive start if Marshall can’t go.

Quarterback Trevor Siemian will get the start, but Kubiak anticipates Siemian and Paxton Lynch will each play one half.

It's disappointing for certain, but this is all far from over.  Both in the context of this season, but also the next 4-6 years; Reggie has put this team/roster in a very good position to succeed.

I guess our awesome Oline decided not to get on the plane this week. Pretty disappointed in the way they came out and started the game this week. 

Yeah. I checked the roster on Raiders.com as well and noted that we don't have a PS QB either. They have to sign a #3 for the playoffs, no? Or maybe we have a WR or DB or RB who played QB in high school that could be our emergency guy if we got that desperate. Heck, if our #2 Cooks gets forced into a game, we're, um, cooked at that point, so maybe we don't need a #3 at all at this point in the season. Not like we have a long haul ahead of us, even if we do win in the playoffs. 

I just convinced myself that the Raiders won't sign another QB this season. 

Not happy I wrote the above. :(

My only wish at this point is for a quick, painless, not-too-humiliating defeat in Houston next week. The heart and soul has been ripped out of this team.

My only wish at this point is for a quick, painless, not-too-humiliating defeat in Houston next week. The heart and soul has been ripped out of this team.
Sadly, I think you're right. The d, never the strength of the team, has shown no fight. And supposedly one of the best olines in the league is still at the buffet line in the hotel. 

Sadly, I think you're right. The d, never the strength of the team, has shown no fight. And supposedly one of the best olines in the league is still at the buffet line in the hotel. 
This is disappointing. The O was going to struggle but the D looks invisible 

Users who are viewing this thread