What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Oakland Raiders thread (1 Viewer)

Lots of high points this season.  Today wasn't one of them. Really embarrassing how the defense performed,  no pressure,  no urgency.  I don't know how u can come out flat like that with everything on the line.

Lets be honest....KC worked the Raiders both times they played them (both with Carr so no excuses)....KC was and is the best team in the west.....Raiders helped by a last place schedule this year and even wth Carr it was smoke and mirrors.....they finished where they should have.....I know it will be a parade of "if we had Carr" excuses but they lost to KC twice and ATL the only other real playoff worthy competition....

I could reconcile mentally with the notion of McGloin with the strong O-line having a shot to shock the world but with Connor Cook at the helm it is difficult to have the same optimism.

However the rookie QB, strong O-line formula is working pretty well in Dallas this season so, why not?

And Houston doesn't scare anyone.

I'd rather see Cook out there too. But that defense! It's been regressing big time. You can throw Matt Ryan or Aaron Rodgers under center but if the defense can't stop anyone, does it really matter? 

Can we all agree Sean Smith was a bad FA signing? Wish they would have gone after Jenoris Jenkins. Oh well, hopefully they shore up that position in the draft. 

I'd rather see Cook out there too. But that defense! It's been regressing big time. You can throw Matt Ryan or Aaron Rodgers under center but if the defense can't stop anyone, does it really matter? 

Can we all agree Sean Smith was a bad FA signing? Wish they would have gone after Jenoris Jenkins. Oh well, hopefully they shore up that position in the draft. 
The Raiders D needs work. That has been known all season. The O won most of the games. As pointed out above, the Raiders are a playoff caliber team but not one of the elites just yet. That is really ok. Our team is good. Our team can beat anyone in the league. 

KC is a good team but they have flaws too. They win with special team and D scores. That is not a winning formula for the long haul. I like our chances in the AFC next season.  If the Raiders address the glaring holes on D and get a bruising RB in the offseason, we will be a true SB contender. 

At keast Cook is getting some big experience now.  That can only help his growth. 

Hey it was a fun ride while it lasted....they did way better than anyone imagined....they have s true nucleus on which to build in a very short time...i see a SB in the future ...2 years tops 

Season ain't over.

Yeesh.  A little quick for everyone to be throwing in the towel.  That isn't the formula to Make Oakland Great AgainTM

My only wish at this point is for a quick, painless, not-too-humiliating defeat in Houston next week. The heart and soul has been ripped out of this team.
w t f

I wanna pound Houston into the ground, what is wrong with you?  How can you want us to lose, have you not been watching the last 13 years?  F that we've lost enough games to last a lifetime.  I'm not suggesting we'll reach the SB but jfc we can at least not root against ourselves here.

And I'm still amazed that people are down on the running game.

6th in rushing yards, 10th in YPA, 6th in rushing TDs, 11th in Attempts.

And it's not like they have a mobile QB or run a bunch of gimmick plays (e.g. Tyreek Hill) to skew the numbers.  It was straight up line up and punch you in the mouth football.  It is one of the most effective true RBBCs I have seen. 

And I'm still amazed that people are down on the running game.

6th in rushing yards, 10th in YPA, 6th in rushing TDs, 11th in Attempts.

And it's not like they have a mobile QB or run a bunch of gimmick plays (e.g. Tyreek Hill) to skew the numbers.  It was straight up line up and punch you in the mouth football.  It is one of the most effective true RBBCs I have seen. 
but the raiders have great receivers and D.Carr on offence so the opposing D has to respect the passing game...now they are just going to crowd the line and dare cook to beat them

but the raiders have great receivers and D.Carr on offence so the opposing D has to respect the passing game...now they are just going to crowd the line and dare cook to beat them
People were down on the running game when Carr was healthy.

There are very few places where mediocre (or worse) QB + WRs will still produce a top 6 running game.

Reggie's done a lot of great things in the four or so years he's been here but does he deserve the blame for not seeming to have a serviceable QB for just such an occasion as this?

He paid a lot to keep other teams from signing McGloin but it looks like it was the wrong path to take.

Lets be honest....KC worked the Raiders both times they played them (both with Carr so no excuses)....KC was and is the best team in the west.....Raiders helped by a last place schedule this year and even wth Carr it was smoke and mirrors.....they finished where they should have.....I know it will be a parade of "if we had Carr" excuses but they lost to KC twice and ATL the only other real playoff worthy competition....
You should go away.

Wait until after your team exits the playoffs if you like.

I like the Raiders to win the game vs the Texans.

The win vs the Broncos a few weeks ago sold me they could win without Carr, or without him at 100%.

The Texans have a very good run defense but the Raiders have the horses to power through IMO and their own defense can get opportunities from Osweiler.

Cook can be a game manager and that is what he'll have to be. I think a 17-13 win or something like that could be in the cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
w t f

I wanna pound Houston into the ground, what is wrong with you?  How can you want us to lose, have you not been watching the last 13 years?  F that we've lost enough games to last a lifetime.  I'm not suggesting we'll reach the SB but jfc we can at least not root against ourselves here.
Denial.

It's over.

The Raiders Broncos game earlier this season is an interesting way of looking at this matchup.  Carr played like crap but Oakland still found a way to win by running the ball a ton.  They still have their offensive line and RB's ready to go.  Curious to see if the coaching staff's ego will come in the way of deciding who to start.  McGloin clearly got outplayed by Cook. 

The Raiders Broncos game earlier this season is an interesting way of looking at this matchup.  Carr played like crap but Oakland still found a way to win by running the ball a ton.  They still have their offensive line and RB's ready to go.  Curious to see if the coaching staff's ego will come in the way of deciding who to start.  McGloin clearly got outplayed by Cook. 
I hope they play Cook but go back to the pounding run game plan. The raiders can beat Houston if the D shows up. Be nice to get a playoff win out of this season. 

I hope they play Cook but go back to the pounding run game plan. The raiders can beat Houston if the D shows up. Be nice to get a playoff win out of this season. 

Del Rio wants more work for Latavius Murray

Raiders coach Jack Del Rio implied that Latavius Murray hasn't been getting enough work.
"Latavius has only five carries. How does that happen?" Del Rio asked after Sunday's loss to Denver. Murray has had a bizarre season. He began the year in a committee with Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington, got injured, ascended to workhorse status upon his return and then lost work to Washington again late in the season. Del Rio's frustration at Murray's workload is an obvious jab at OC Bill Musgrave. Look for Murray to get the squeaky wheel treatment in Saturday's Wild Card game against Houston.

Ed Wood said:
Reggie's done a lot of great things in the four or so years he's been here but does he deserve the blame for not seeming to have a serviceable QB for just such an occasion as this?

He paid a lot to keep other teams from signing McGloin but it looks like it was the wrong path to take.
:thumbdown:   No one saw a 12-4 season coming, no reason to heavily invest in a backup QB given the pre-season expectations.  That's not a failure by Reggie.  And this isn't a team built to survive with "functional" backup QB play anyway.  We're a few pieces away from being able to survive a Carr injury.

McGloin is making $2.5M a year, hardly "a lot" to pay to keep him.  And he didn't do it to keep him from other teams, he paid it because he knows our system well and the alternative would have been a rookie backup.  THAT would have been a bad plan.

First off, McGloin is a fine backup QB.  He hadn't even gotten into the flow of the game yet by the time he was rocked and multi-injured.  His throws were bad, but they were mostly the right read, IMO.  I don't doubt he can do better.  Denver is a tough team to get thrown into against.  Deep end of the pool for a QB.  That said, I thought Cook looked better and also did in the preseason.

Second, Cook is also a fine backup QB.  He WAS drafted ahead of Dak.  I've seen nothing really to suggest he was a bad pick.  For a team that still has quite a few holes to fill, I'd say the #2 & #3 QBs compare favorably to most of the league.

Third, Joseph's absence has been felt on D.  This defense was considered "on the rise" by most until he went out.  They have slumped since.  Hopefully, his return along with some more rust removed from MEJr can right that ship.

It's not looking nearly as rosy as before, but it's not time for doom and gloom yet.  We WANT this win.  Just think about how those poor Lions' fans feel.

I wasn't a fan of Cook's post game commentary of wishing he got more reps leading up to the game and seemingly throwing the coaches under the bus saying they called plays he had never even run in practice.  You've been a third string rookie QB all year and they had to get McGloin ready for Denver this week, you're not going to get many reps in practice.  There's a reason this guy was not a captain of his college team and fell to the fourth round.  McGloin isn't a world beater, but Denver is the best pass defense in the league and he didn't even get a chance to play a full half.  I say play McGloin if he is healthy. 

Raider Nation said:
Denial.

It's over.
You have conceded before the game has started? Wow! That is the opposite of what Raider Nation is about. If that is how you feel then you should change your avatar name. At least put Wannabe at the beginning of your name. 

massraider said:
You should go away.

Wait until after your team exits the playoffs if you like.
I know it's not popular to come into another teams thread and talk smack....and it opens you up to the len dawson and what have you done for me lately comments and the go away's and wait till you win something and then run your mouth, etc....and I was celebrating and drinking heavily when making some of the initial posts....so that probably didn't help matters....

but....

KC is 11-1 against the AFC West the last two years....only loss was to DEN at KC when Charles fumbled in the closing seconds....they won 11 games in a row including a playoff game to finish out the season before giving NE all they could handle at NE and losing a one possession game (Knile Davis fumble)....DEN wanted no part of KC in the playoffs last year and loved seeing a PIT team roll into town with a banged up Ben and without Bell and Brown....

much like last year....KC has done all of this without one of their most dynamic weapons.....Charles....

the Raiders have improved no doubt.....but KC handled them fairly easily both times this year (like last year) while the Raiders struggled to win by 3 in each game against a depleted SD and split with an also down DEN team....the AFC West I think actually lost a little of its shine and was a little overrated by many early in the year especially when DEN got off to a good start, the talk of 3 teams making the playoffs, etc.....DEN oline was terrible all year and their QB play was subpar....leaving IMO OAK and KC as the only real contenders....although had SD not lost Allen and Woodhead they could have made much more noise....OAK and KC both have their warts....even at full strength..... but KC has been and is the better team, with or without Carr playing for OAK...

it will be interesting to see how things shake out as I know many expect OAK to now make an early exit and for PIT to beat KC after beating MIA.....but you never know what will happen....people have been counting out KC since they started 1-5 last year.....and it keeps happening even though they are 22-5 since....

Elway has given his QB money to Von and they totally misread what they have in Siemian and Lynch....they were supposed to be a running team but ignored o line while giving their WR's all the money.....they will be looking for another FA/trade QB to bail them out...their defense doesn't scare anybody anymore and now their coach leaves....SD didn't finish very strong, but Allen and Woodhead were giving KC fits in week one and really had an impact on that offense when they went down....I think some things fell right for OAK this year (as it does for many teams)...and they got some bounces they haven't gotten in the past but they also seemed to earn some of those bounces and capitalized on them ....2 pt conversion against NOS...close victories against TEN, BAL, CAR, TB in (OT)...etc....however taking into account all 3 phases of the game, I think KC showed to be the best team in the West...

it's at least good to have the Raiders relevant again......it makes beating them more fun.... ;)

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet  4h4 hours ago
#Raiders are going forward with the expectation that QB Connor Cook starts vs. #Texans, sources say. Matt McGloin not believed to be ready.

Chaka said:
Season ain't over.

Yeesh.  A little quick for everyone to be throwing in the towel.  That isn't the formula to Make Oakland Great AgainTM
Love that fighting spirit!

Hoping for best, but the realist in me looks at a situation of a rookie having his first playoff start in a playoff game on the road, and just don't have any expectations for this other than it's a likely loss and look forward to getting back into this spot (potentially with a higher seed) next year.

Obviously anything can happen, but just don't see it going our way against Houston, let alone NE if we somehow, some way, win. We had a way better chance at a SB bid this year with a true team leader and talent like Carr under center.

I know the future is very bright for our team. Can't wait to see what the playoffs, then subsequent draft and FA bring into next season. But a much bigger part of me laments losing our golden opportunity this year.

Nothing was guaranteed, but neither is the future -- Penn, Crabs, and other stalwart vets on both sides of the line will be one year older, so who knows what, if any, drop off will ensue. Also, momentum is meaningful in the NFL -- and we had it this year without doubt, ruling the road, coming from behind in so many games, and putting ourselves in our own drivers seat.

Who knows if this lightning in a bottle can be captured in the same way next year? It's a big, parity-driven league, so banking on another 12 win season is folly. 

All will be as it is -- just really lamenting this lost opportunity as I really thought we had a good shot to go all the way.

ICON211 said:
I wasn't a fan of Cook's post game commentary of wishing he got more reps leading up to the game and seemingly throwing the coaches under the bus saying they called plays he had never even run in practice.  You've been a third string rookie QB all year and they had to get McGloin ready for Denver this week, you're not going to get many reps in practice.  There's a reason this guy was not a captain of his college team and fell to the fourth round.  McGloin isn't a world beater, but Denver is the best pass defense in the league and he didn't even get a chance to play a full half.  I say play McGloin if he is healthy. 
Cook does he very best work on the field -- and his worst off of it. Hopefully maturity takes it effect on the 23 year old in the coming years.

Hoping for best, but the realist in me looks at a situation of a rookie having his first playoff start in a playoff game on the road, and just don't have any expectations for this other than it's a likely loss and look forward to getting back into this spot (potentially with a higher seed) next year.

Obviously anything can happen, but just don't see it going our way against Houston, let alone NE if we somehow, some way, win. We had a way better chance at a SB bid this year with a true team leader and talent like Carr under center.

I know the future is very bright for our team. Can't wait to see what the playoffs, then subsequent draft and FA bring into next season. But a much bigger part of me laments losing our golden opportunity this year.

Nothing was guaranteed, but neither is the future -- Penn, Crabs, and other stalwart vets on both sides of the line will be one year older, so who knows what, if any, drop off will ensue. Also, momentum is meaningful in the NFL -- and we had it this year without doubt, ruling the road, coming from behind in so many games, and putting ourselves in our own drivers seat.

Who knows if this lightning in a bottle can be captured in the same way next year? It's a big, parity-driven league, so banking on another 12 win season is folly. 

All will be as it is -- just really lamenting this lost opportunity as I really thought we had a good shot to go all the way.
The Raiders did stand a good chance to win the AFC this year for the simple reason that the AFC was weak.  There is no team that is dominant.  Pitt has no D.  KC has an average O at best.  Winning games by scoring on special teams or D is not sustainable.  NE has Brady and a decent but not great O.  The D has been playing decent as of late but is still average at best. 

Hopefully it's not as bad as the last rookie QB's first playoff start for the Raiders on the road. :X

12 of 23, 140 yards and 4 picks

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MariTo00/gamelog/post/

The Raiders did stand a good chance to win the AFC this year for the simple reason that the AFC was weak.  There is no team that is dominant.  Pitt has no D.  KC has an average O at best.  Winning games by scoring on special teams or D is not sustainable.  NE has Brady and a decent but not great O.  The D has been playing decent as of late but is still average at best. 
Respectfully disagree -- you saw what was going on in the NFC this year, right?

Our division was the toughest in football, with two 12 game winners and Denver who ended up with 9. Patriots were absolutely dominant, both in their division and without. But we saw some parity with both Miami hugely improving and the Bills, who stayed pretty much the same around .500 but played competitively. AFC North was competitive until PIT started to pull away in the last few weeks, and while the records blew in the South, they were all fighting tooth and nail to the last day, with three teams finishing within a game of each other.

In the NFC? Cowboys won the East wire-to-wire, and while the Giants and WAS were both very good, they were inconsistent (Giants early, Skins late). No one was a threat to the Hawks as the Cards completely fell apart and the Rams and the 9ers remained dung-like. No one was catching the Falcons in the South, and in the North, there was some drama with MIN/DET/GB but for me at least, was easy to see GB pulling away given the level Rodgers was playing at. 

Agree on PIT's D, but what an O when it clicks. Disparage away at KC but they were clearly better than us this year, winning games when it mattered and keeping their impressive span of winning going.

Homerism to be sure, but I really believed we were the only team in the West who had the matchups and moxie with Carr to knock off the Pats this year. And if you can stop the run and keep Witten in check (always tough for us), I don't think Dallas was all that scary either.

Just think this was truly our year to do it all. Felt magical, and I think the team felt so too. Will leave a bad taste in my mouth for a while.

Hopefully it's not as bad as the last rookie QB's first playoff start for the Raiders on the road. :X

12 of 23, 140 yards and 4 picks

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MariTo00/gamelog/post/
Ah, Robo QB. The 30 for 30 on him was fantastic, if you haven't seen it. Feel for the guy in a lot of ways. Imagine if we had taken Farve at that pick instead....

And yes, he was horrific. But at least he had the benefit of starting some regular season games -- I think I remember him being pretty solid in his debut against the Chiefs when Pigface Schroeder went down late season. He definitely played poorly when facing them again in the playoffs.

Then he started a bunch of games in 92 and won, but had a game against the Eagles where he threw 3 INTS in his first 10 passes. Yanked and never played again.

Good or bad, at least there was some experience there.

Our division was the toughest in football, with two 12 game winners and Denver who ended up with 9. Patriots were absolutely dominant, both in their division and without. But we saw some parity with both Miami hugely improving and the Bills, who stayed pretty much the same around .500 but played competitively. AFC North was competitive until PIT started to pull away in the last few weeks, and while the records blew in the South, they were all fighting tooth and nail to the last day, with three teams finishing within a game of each other.

In the NFC? Cowboys won the East wire-to-wire, and while the Giants and WAS were both very good, they were inconsistent (Giants early, Skins late). No one was a threat to the Hawks as the Cards completely fell apart and the Rams and the 9ers remained dung-like. No one was catching the Falcons in the South, and in the North, there was some drama with MIN/DET/GB but for me at least, was easy to see GB pulling away given the level Rodgers was playing at. 

Agree on PIT's D, but what an O when it clicks. Disparage away at KC but they were clearly better than us this year, winning games when it mattered and keeping their impressive span of winning going.

Homerism to be sure, but I really believed we were the only team in the West who had the matchups and moxie with Carr to knock off the Pats this year. And if you can stop the run and keep Witten in check (always tough for us), I don't think Dallas was all that scary either.

Just think this was truly our year to do it all. Felt magical, and I think the team felt so too. Will leave a bad taste in my mouth for a while.
I never mentioned anything about tge NFC but still believe the AFC is weak. Sure, the Pats are good but Miami is the only good team in that division and they didn't come together until almost halfway through the season. The AFC N is garbage except for the Steelers. The Ravens have a good D. That O can be painful to watch. The AFC S is incredibly weak.  KC is the best in the AFC W but are not a dominant team. You think NE or Pburgh is concerned about KC?  

Yes. Absolutely.
The Chiefs lead the league in takeaways and rank fifth among playoff teams in points per game allowed (19.4).

All of that helps make Kansas City perhaps the most legitimate threat to the Patriots on the road to the Super Bowl in the AFC.

Yeah I guess 22-5 over their last 27 games doesn't mean much....

yeah you might be getting a little carried away here.....

you weren't even the best team in the west....and I could probably argue with you jab for jab how KC in all three phases of the game creates some tough if not tougher matchups...

Yeah I guess 22-5 over their last 27 games doesn't mean much....
I never said that KC is terrible or has not won games.  I never said that they do not belong in the playoffs.  KC rankings on O:

Yards/game  20th

Points/game  13th

Yards/play  16th

Plays/game  27th

Time of Possession  16th

A big factor is turnovers and that is where KC stands out.  KC is tied with Oakland for the highest TO differential at +16.   

I never said that KC is terrible or has not won games.  I never said that they do not belong in the playoffs.  KC rankings on O:

Yards/game  20th

Points/game  13th

Yards/play  16th

Plays/game  27th

Time of Possession  16th

A big factor is turnovers and that is where KC stands out.  KC is tied with Oakland for the highest TO differential at +16.   
no worries...you just said what they do is not "sustainable"....I was just saying its been working pretty well for a while now.....better than most in fact...

KC is never going to put up video game numbers but there is more than one way to win games.....I really don't see why having an explosive defense and special teams isn't something that can be sustained.....while they certainly have had their hiccups....I think if you ask most and pay attention right now, many people are concerned about being able to stop certain parts of KC's offense....one of the best units in the league (Den) couldn't contain them this year...

Cooks passing looked tight in the short and intermediate range.  Passes had zip, were on the money, and when they did miss it was low.  He had nice pocket presence stepping up and hitting Cooper for that TD (I think he was 3/3 on that drive).  The INT was a terrible throw and decision and there was another that was dropped.  He also had the fumble, but his ball handling looked okay.  No reason he can't keep defenses honest and make the occasional play on 3rd down.  I see reason for cautious optimism for Oakland fans.

Users who are viewing this thread