What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1990 - #1 George Michael - Freedom '90 (1 Viewer)

* Pardon the digression and TMI, but this is such a "small world" story that I feel compelled to retell it. The dancer with nose-chain (call her "L") and I hooked up a couple of times
Pretty sure the one with the nose chain is Jane Child.

Are you saying there is more than one nose chain in that video?

I remember when this one came out, and I was a little put off by her look. Dumb extensions, absurd spiky hair, little Madonna look elsewhere, it all seemed a bit too much. But, like you said, she's Canadian. They do the best they can.
Didn't Janet Jackson sport the nose ring/chain look for a while?

#83 Poison - Something to Believe In

Lots of ripping on Poison yesterday (myself included) but I think this one is an exception. A power ballad that tackles topics like religion, homelessness, and depression sounds like something primed for ridicule, but damn if Brett Michaels doesn't pull it off. The song was inspired by the death of Michaels' bodyguard/friend on Xmas eve 1989 as well as his cousin who fought in Vietnam. Would definitely be second on a short list of favorite Poison songs.

Lots of ripping on Poison yesterday (myself included) but I think this one is an exception. A power ballad that tackles topics like religion, homelessness, and depression sounds like something primed for ridicule, but damn if Brett Michaels doesn't pull it off. The song was inspired by the death of Michaels' bodyguard/friend on Xmas eve 1989 as well as his cousin who fought in Vietnam. Would definitely be second on a short list of favorite Poison songs.
I hate most hair metal power ballads. Not this one.

One of the few Poison songs I like

I always thought Poison was always a slicker version of bands that came before them.

I had a buddy who used to bartend at a Karaoke bar in Burbank and two of his regulars were Mr. Belding and CC Deville. CC used to come in to meet his coke dealer, and NBC studios was right down the street, so Mr. Belding was always in there, and the first time I ever set foot in the place my buddy told me to head into the bathroom right away. I asked him why, and he said, "Have you ever seen Mr. Belding and CC Deville doing blow together?"

CC Deville's voice makes me want to cut my ears off, and that's before I sampled his crappy drugs.

I had a buddy who used to bartend at a Karaoke bar in Burbank and two of his regulars were Mr. Belding and CC Deville. CC used to come in to meet his coke dealer, and NBC studios was right down the street, so Mr. Belding was always in there, and the first time I ever set foot in the place my buddy told me to head into the bathroom right away. I asked him why, and he said, "Have you ever seen Mr. Belding and CC Deville doing blow together?"
My Poison story pales in comparison, seeing that it doesn't involve L.A., Saved by the Bell, or 8-balls.

One of the dudes I worked with for a couple summers in OCMD was Rikki Rockett's cousin or nephew or something. Rikki dropped by one night and hung out a the bar, then came in the back for a bit so we could teach him to make pizza. Came off as a really good guy, Great tipper too, but still nothing like King Kong Buddy, who made my week on a couple occasions.

#86 Inspiral Carpets - Commercial Reign

Had never heard of the whole Madchester thing until one of my new dorm-mates dragged me out to a Brit night at a local club. I was hooked - something that will get reflected a bunch down the line (and that played a huge role in my choice of Premier League teams - Manchester is Blue!).

This is How It Feels was the “hit” from their 1990 debut album, but Commercial Reign was the star. The first youtube comment sums it up perfectly: “Anyone hosting an at-home rave party should lead off the evening with this song. If nobody dances, send them all home.” Hell, I’m dancing right now.

Another new to me. Love it.

#82 Sisters of Mercy - More

This one is for me and @otb_lifer and I guess fans of Jim Steinman (who co-wrote it).

I can smell the fog machines. More was the first single off of the Sisters' third and final record Vision Thing. That means all Andrew Eldritch has done for the last 33 years is bristle at being called a goth band while playing the occasional goth club.

ETA: Meat Loaf did a terrible cover in 2016. I mean absolutely godawful.

Last edited:

Had never heard of the whole Madchester thing until one of my new dorm-mates dragged me out to a Brit night at a local club. I was hooked - something that will get reflected a bunch down the line (and that played a huge role in my choice of Premier League teams - Manchester is Blue!).

This is How It Feels was the “hit” from their 1990 debut album, but Commercial Reign was the star. The first youtube comment sums it up perfectly: “Anyone hosting an at-home rave party should lead off the evening with this song. If nobody dances, send them all home.” Hell, I’m dancing right now.

Another new to me. Love it.
I have an entire Britpop playlist you might dig.

I can smell the fog machines. More was the first single off of the Sisters' third and final record Vision Thing. That means all Andrew Eldritch has done for the last 33 years is bristle at being called a goth band while playing the occasional goth club.
I didn't know anything about this, so I googled this guy 'goth' and 'hate'.

That was easy. Found this blog post, which I found sweetly hateful.

No idea what his problem with goth is, but three minutes of watching that video and my guess he wanted to be a big arena c0kk rocker mega star, not the star of a niche market.

#85 - Billy Idol - Cradle of Love

This one was originally much higher on the list but kept dropping on repeated listens. Cradle of Love made it all the way to #2 on the pop charts, Billy's final Top 40 hit, but I have to think the main driver of it's popularity (at least among teenage boys) was the David Fincher-directed video. Even today, I might skip this one when I hear it on the radio, but the video still gets my full and undivided attention.

The original version of the video featured clips from The Adventures of Ford Fairlane. And speaking of embarrassingly terrible things we liked at 17, I saw that movie twice (!) in the theater.
Good tune, but yeah, it's all about that video.

Ford Fairlane was an embarrassment, but who didn't love Andrew Dice Clay back then?
Me. It was a lonely club.

However, I will still sing Booty Time, Booty Time! Across the USA, that makes me laugh.
I even pissed in the Punch Bowl

This one was originally much higher on the list but kept dropping on repeated listens. Cradle of Love made it all the way to #2 on the pop charts, Billy's final Top 40 hit, but I have to think the main driver of it's popularity (at least among teenage boys) was the David Fincher-directed video. Even today, I might skip this one when I hear it on the radio, but the video still gets my full and undivided attention.

The original version of the video featured clips from The Adventures of Ford Fairlane. And speaking of embarrassingly terrible things we liked at 17, I saw that movie twice (!) in the theater.

Big Billy Idol fan. Cradle of Love isn't his best effort.

In a live version, Billy himself sings the lyrics as "This song is so cheesy".

One of my favorite BI songs is in that album though.
Billy Idol hated this song so much when Keith Forsey (songwriter and producerof this song) gave it to him. All the grunts, yeahs, oohs and aahs are him taking the piss like Michael Jacksons hee ha’s.
Idol didnt want to do it, but Forsey had an ace up his sleeve

Remember the last song you turned down of mine?
Don’t You Forget About Me that broke Simple Minds and became a monster hit.
Forsey strong armed Idol and the rest isnt history, cause Cradle of Love is a steaming pile.
Ironically Simple Minds hate Dont You Forget About Me as much as Idol hates Cradle of Love.
They let the crowd sing it live

Keith Forsey, (s)hit songwriter

This takes me back. Others preferred the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays from Madchester, but i loved these guys. Just lacked a charismatic front man lol.
Commericial Reign was only on the North America version. The UK and international version didnt have it.

This one is for me and @otb_lifer and I guess fans of Jim Steinman (who co-wrote it).

in a genre rife with enigmatic, egotistical divas , Eldritch takes the cake - a more polarizing figure never there was.

but, man, couldt he bring that bombastic bent - love him and all of his Sisters iterations.

Perfect. I swear that's not me. Gave up blogging when livejournal went under.*

* I was just joking, but a quick google revealed that LJ is still around and has 15.2 million users. That has to be fake news, right?

in a genre rife with enigmatic, egotistical divas , Eldritch takes the cake - a more polarizing figure never there was.

but, man, couldt he bring that bombastic bent - love him and all of his Sisters iterations.
A few years ago, I found an old 12" of Temple of Love [Extended Mix] and brought it home. Sent a pic of it to an old goth friend who had the perfect reply - 'Good thing you found the extended mix because that original 8:07 version just left you wanting more."

As a DJ, playing a Sisters song was perfect when you needed to grab a drink from the bar, buy more smokes from the cig machine, and take a long whizz. Still could make it back to the booth with a few minutes to spare.

Perfect. I swear that's not me. Gave up blogging when livejournal went under.*

* I was just joking, but a quick google revealed that LJ is still around and has 15.2 million users. That has to be fake news, right?
Author George RR Martin (Game Of Thrones) still uses LJ.

#81 Guns-n'-Roses - Knockin' on Heaven's Door

In another thread, a poster dubbed this the worst cover song ever. A bit of hyperbole I hope, b/c it's got nothing on the Meatloaf cover I posted last night. Still, I do think a lot us at the time totally overrated it b/c we were so desperate for some new GnR. And no, I had never heard the Dylan version before this was released as part of the Days of Thunder soundtrack.

The video is from the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and is worth a watch even if you're totally sick of the song.

Also, some bonus material for a quiet Saturday. If I counted correctly, there's three more covers coming up in the countdown. Here's a few extras that are great but missed the cut for various reasons:

Mark Lanegan - Where Did You Sleep Last Night (great version that unfortunately got completely overshadowed by his buddy Kurt)

Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows (Leonard Cohen classic as featured in Pump Up The Volume. Love Johnette's voice.)

Nine Inch Nails - Get Down Make Love (I think every single serious NIN fan I know bought the Sin single just for this Queen cover)

Big Billy Idol fan. Cradle of Love isn't his best effort.

In a live version, Billy himself sings the lyrics as "This song is so cheesy".

One of my favorite BI songs is in that album though.
Billy Idol hated this song so much when Keith Forsey (songwriter and producerof this song) gave it to him. All the grunts, yeahs, oohs and aahs are him taking the piss like Michael Jacksons hee ha’s.
Idol didnt want to do it, but Forsey had an ace up his sleeve

Remember the last song you turned down of mine?
Don’t You Forget About Me that broke Simple Minds and became a monster hit.
Forsey strong armed Idol and the rest isnt history, cause Cradle of Love is a steaming pile.
Ironically Simple Minds hate Dont You Forget About Me as much as Idol hates Cradle of Love.
They let the crowd sing it live

Keith Forsey, (s)hit songwriter
Only because you brought it up . . .

Billy Idol - Don't You Forget About Me

It somehow ended up on his Greatest Hits album.

Lanegan’s “The Winding Sheet” is incredible. And for the umpteenth time I’ll pimp his autobiography.. read it and weep

Lots about Kurt and Layne in there. He got the idea to do that song from Lanegan, and he did some vocals on that record, most notably “Down in the Dark”

Last edited:

In another thread, a poster dubbed this the worst cover song ever. A bit of hyperbole I hope, b/c it's got nothing on the Meatloaf cover I posted last night. Still, I do think a lot us at the time totally overrated it b/c we were so desperate for some new GnR. And no, I had never heard the Dylan version before this was released as part of the Days of Thunder soundtrack.

The video is from the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and is worth a watch even if you're totally sick of the song.

Also, some bonus material for a quiet Saturday. If I counted correctly, there's three more covers coming up in the countdown. Here's a few extras that are great but missed the cut for various reasons:

Mark Lanegan - Where Did You Sleep Last Night (great version that unfortunately got completely overshadowed by his buddy Kurt)

Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows (Leonard Cohen classic as featured in Pump Up The Volume. Love Johnette's voice.)

Nine Inch Nails - Get Down Make Love (I think every single serious NIN fan I know bought the Sin single just for this Queen cover)
Worst cover you say?
I give you Pat Boone singing Dio's "Holy Diver"
It's from the classic Boone album, In A Metal Mood - No More Mr. Nice Guy

As for "Knockin'" it's a big meh and gets meh-er as the years go by. HEY, HEY, HEY HEY YEAH. Not much of a song anyway IMHO

I know I have some fans here of the Gob "View To A Kill" cover, best evah

ETA: Meat Loaf did a terrible cover in 2016. I mean absolutely godawful.
One of these would pair nicely with this song.

Watching that Concrete Blonde video, man was Samantha Mathis amazing. The alt version of a manic pixie dream girl.

I didn't remember that this was part of a the Days of Thunder soundtrack. For some reason, I thought it was mixed in somewhere on one of the Illusion albums. And those were 1991. For a brief moment, I thought you made a mistake. But I should have known better.

Cover or not, I lump this in with all of the other GnR slow ballads. They don't do much for me. I used to tell myself that I liked November Rain, but always found myself switching the station when it came on.

I didn't remember that this was part of a the Days of Thunder soundtrack. For some reason, I thought it was mixed in somewhere on one of the Illusion albums. And those were 1991. For a brief moment, I thought you made a mistake. But I should have known better.

Cover or not, I lump this in with all of the other GnR slow ballads. They don't do much for me. I used to tell myself that I liked November Rain, but always found myself switching the station when it came on.
Was on Use Your Illusion II as well, but first charted as a single from the soundtrack, then got re-released and charted again in 1992. It's not the only GnR song I had to make this kind of call on either.

Oh, and totally disagree on November Rain, gb. Somehow both bloated and glorious simultaneously.

Oh, and totally disagree on November Rain, gb. Somehow both bloated and glorious simultaneously.

To me, it always felt like the band was sitting in a room, and someone stood up (probably Slash), and screamed, "We need our own Free Bird!! We need our own Stairway!!", and November Rain is what came out the other end.

the jungle, the jungle, the brothers, the brothers...
So I'm out with friends last night, drinking some hipster Fernet and Miller High Life concoction at a local distillery, and an awesome remix of Buddy plays and I got to hear "the jungle, the jungle, the brothers, the brothers" just one day after this post, so that was fun. De La Soul, Tribe, The Jungle Brothers, that was a great era of rap. Besides hair bands and your standard pop hits, rap was my other favorite genre as a late 80s teen. Eric B and Rakim, Boogie Down Productions, Slick Rick, I can keep going. Loved it, and continued to be great as it headed into the 90s.

To me, it always felt like the band was sitting in a room, and someone stood up (probably Slash), and screamed, "We need our own Free Bird!! We need our own Stairway!!", and November Rain is what came out the other end.
Tell you what, I don't remember hearing too much negative about this song when it came out. Effing everyone was on board with this song.

Shout OUT Stephanie Seymour. Did the rocker thing, then married the billionaire twenty years older than her. Well done, girl.

To me, it always felt like the band was sitting in a room, and someone stood up (probably Slash), and screamed, "We need our own Free Bird!! We need our own Stairway!!", and November Rain is what came out the other end..
I'm team Scorchy here, and while everyone including me will say that Appetite was peak GnR, I loved the over indulgent songs from Use Your Illusion I and II. Condense those into one album and I think it has a shot at being better than Appetite. Of course, it was all downhill from there.

Had a nice time last night going through the list so far. So easy to click the youtube links and cast to the TV, don't you just love modern conveniences.

I definitely had a blind spot for certain music at this time. Also, looking at this list, glad my wife never met Scorchy before meeting me. She introduced me to the Cocteau Twins and just recently dragged me to a Cure show in Atlanta on MY birthday. I actually kinda like the guitar bits in this Cure song. I have never heard that Inspiral Carpets song, I dig the keyboard work in that one and really enjoyed it. That Sisters of Mercy song, wow. On one hand, everything may be too much, the background singers, the wind blowing through the lead singers hair, but the build, the light use of keyboards, and the earnestness make it a great song.

I loved the over indulgent songs from Use Your Illusion I and II. Condense those into one album and I think it has a shot at being better than Appetite
George Martin said that exact thing about the White Album--he used the word "compressed". But then Paul and George made a point that has struck me: they needed to "empty the bank", and "get everything out" so that when they began the next album, they would be working from a clean slate.

Axl said something similar (though not in those words), but with the same sentiment.

KoHD - studio version may be my 2nd favorite G n' R tune ... sucker for that kinda drag, and that were a very dark period of my life.

Concrete Blonde - i mentioned Sioux being so underrated, well, Johnette also ... she couldt bring it like a mofo

HOPE TO SEE MORE OF HER

NIN 🖤

Users who are viewing this thread