What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1990 - #1 George Michael - Freedom '90 (1 Viewer)

# 87 The Jungle Brothers (feat. De La Soul, Q-Tip, and Monie Love) - Doin’ Our Own Dang

This one’s for my GB rock, preacher of the Native Tongues collective.

The Jungle Brothers never got their commercial due but they’re legends in the rap community for being among the first to blend jazz, house, and hip-hop. I wasn’t cool enough to know about them in 1988 when they put out their first record, but jumped on the wagon when I heard their contribution on the Red, Hot, and Blue tribute CD that my friend Erin always played. I feel under-qualified to go deep on this, so I’ll let @rockaction follow up with any details if chooses to drop some knowledge.

Also, I love a few Poison songs (Fallen Angel ftw) and there'll be one coming up that I think is way better than people give it credit for being. But most others - I can't. Was watching the new Dio doc the other day and a bunch of metal dudes were ripping on Unskinny Bop - that one may be the worst.
Fine, bring me out of semi-posting retirement by doing a top 100 of the year I also graduated high school. If I were to create a list now, it would be mostly chalk, as I really wasn't exposed to much music that didn't get radio play. Poison came out around the same time I started growing hair in weird places. I have distinct memories of mowing the lawn to Look What the Cat Dragged In on my yellow walkman (we all had one). Also my first concert I drove out of town to see was Poison and Warrant in Charlotte. But like most people, by the time Flesh and Blood came out I had mostly moved on to other things.

Also, I love a few Poison songs (Fallen Angel ftw) and there'll be one coming up that I think is way better than people give it credit for being. But most others - I can't. Was watching the new Dio doc the other day and a bunch of metal dudes were ripping on Unskinny Bop - that one may be the worst.
Fine, bring me out of semi-posting retirement by doing a top 100 of the year I also graduated high school. If I were to create a list now, it would be mostly chalk, as I really wasn't exposed to much music that didn't get radio play. Poison came out around the same time I started growing hair in weird places. I have distinct memories of mowing the lawn to Look What the Cat Dragged In on my yellow walkman (we all had one). Also my first concert I drove out of town to see was Poison and Warrant in Charlotte. But like most people, by the time Flesh and Blood came out I had mostly moved on to other things.

Good to see you, my hippie friend! I came out (of retirement, just so there is no confusion) about a year ago or so. Still don't post much, but it's always good to see a familiar face. :hump:

This one’s for my GB rock, preacher of the Native Tongues collective.

Heh. I strangely missed the boat on the Jungle Brothers but of course do recall the legends De La, the irrepressible Monie Love (Monie in the middle. Where you at? In the middle.), and one of the best emcees ever, Q-Tip. I don't really have much to add that I haven't already when I lament the decline of jazz sampling (both the jazz element and the sampling element) in East Coast hip hop music. On the plus side, Bill Evans at least gets paid now.

I have distinct memories of mowing the lawn to Look What the Cat Dragged In on my yellow walkman (we all had one).
Those yellow walkmen were sweet.

I still have the 45 of Talk Dirty to Me from the jukebox of the pizza shop where I worked in HS. By the time it finally got pulled off, the grooves were pretty much worn out so I doubt I've played it once since then.

Similar to the Beavis & Butthead video that zamboni posted earlier, I remember being at the Camelot Music one Saturday and my friend Todd came running over with a copy of Look What the Cat Dragged In and blurting out "Check out these chicks on the cover, scorchy - they're totally hot." He got really pissed at the ensuing jokes.

the jungle, the jungle, the brothers, the brothers...

I don't remember which album it was, but I played the ever loving **** out of it. about the same time as engine engine #9 on the NY transit line. I guess '90 sounds right.

I can definitely say that even my teenage self viewed Unskinny Bop as an abomination

Yeah, not to be in lockstep here, but that was just never me, either. I hated that song. I didn't like that album almost at all. Much like Faster Pussycat, they were much better during their initial burst when different people were helping them write their songs (or they were -- ahem -- writing their songs differently).
Getting one past the language filter here deserves recognition.

I don't remember which album it was, but I played the ever loving **** out of it. about the same time as engine engine #9 on the NY transit line. I guess '90 sounds right.
This one?
I think this is De La Soul's Buddy, which is what I immediately thought of when you posted the Jungle Brothers.

The song floppo is talking about is Black Sheep's "The Choice Is Yours"

Engine engine number nine
On the New York transit line
If my train goes off the track
Pick it up pick it up pick it up!

The song floppo is talking about is Black Sheep's "The Choice Is Yours"

Engine engine number nine
On the New York transit line
If my train goes off the track
Pick it up pick it up pick it up!
Now I'm really confused - I thought floppo was talking about a JB song out at the same time as Black Sheep's song.

#88 - Aerosmith - What it Takes

Aerosmith is one of those bands that's hard to ignore in a 1990 retrospective even if it means including another ear-pleasing but by-the-numbers power ballad. I know the band likes to claim that kicking drugs was the primary factor in their late 80s commercial revival, but I have to think that bringing on pop savants like Desmond Child, Jim Vallance, and others as co-writers probably had more to do with it. What it Takes was the third single released from 1989's multi-platinum Pump, hitting #1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart and squeaking into the Top 10 on the Hot 100 in spring 1990.
Canadian Producer Bruce Fairbairn (Slippery When Wet and New Jersey for Bon Jovi) produced Permanent Vacation, Pump and Get A Grip. Jim Vallance, also Canadian, who scorchy mentioned is best known as Bryan Adams' writing partner.
Holly Knight was also a co-writer on the Aerosmith records. She also wrote The Best and Better Be Good To Me for Tina Turner.

This one?
I think this is De La Soul's Buddy, which is what I immediately thought of when you posted the Jungle Brothers.
holy smokes... that's what I was thinking of.

but I also had a Jungle Brothers album- trying to figure out which one. it was epic.

This one?
good gravy... I had a jungle brothers cd. BUT... the album I was thinking of wasn't them- it was Poor Righteous Teachers.

Leaders of the New School were pretty dope, too.

It’s just another case of that old P.T.A.

I mention them because I think they were affiliated with Native Tongue in some way. I know they guested on “Scenario,” which still may be the bangingest club song maybe ever.

#86 Inspiral Carpets - Commercial Reign

Had never heard of the whole Madchester thing until one of my new dorm-mates dragged me out to a Brit night at a local club. I was hooked - something that will get reflected a bunch down the line (and that played a huge role in my choice of Premier League teams - Manchester is Blue!).

This is How It Feels was the “hit” from their 1990 debut album, but Commercial Reign was the star. The first youtube comment sums it up perfectly: “Anyone hosting an at-home rave party should lead off the evening with this song. If nobody dances, send them all home.” Hell, I’m dancing right now.

Had never heard of the whole Madchester thing until one of my new dorm-mates dragged me out to a Brit night at a local club. I was hooked - something that will get reflected a bunch down the line (and that played a huge role in my choice of Premier League teams - Manchester is Blue!).

This is How It Feels was the “hit” from their 1990 debut album, but Commercial Reign was the star. The first youtube comment sums it up perfectly: “Anyone hosting an at-home rave party should lead off the evening with this song. If nobody dances, send them all home.” Hell, I’m dancing right now.
just want (and wanted) to hate it so much... mostly because I wanted to punch them all in the mouf just for looking like that... but them and another manc band hit it perfect.

Missed this one when it came out. A bit too repetitive, but I like the vibe.

#85 - Billy Idol - Cradle of Love

This one was originally much higher on the list but kept dropping on repeated listens. Cradle of Love made it all the way to #2 on the pop charts, Billy's final Top 40 hit, but I have to think the main driver of it's popularity (at least among teenage boys) was the David Fincher-directed video. Even today, I might skip this one when I hear it on the radio, but the video still gets my full and undivided attention.

The original version of the video featured clips from The Adventures of Ford Fairlane. And speaking of embarrassingly terrible things we liked at 17, I saw that movie twice (!) in the theater.

This one was originally much higher on the list but kept dropping on repeated listens. Cradle of Love made it all the way to #2 on the pop charts, Billy's final Top 40 hit, but I have to think the main driver of it's popularity (at least among teenage boys) was the David Fincher-directed video. Even today, I might skip this one when I hear it on the radio, but the video still gets my full and undivided attention.

The original version of the video featured clips from The Adventures of Ford Fairlane. And speaking of embarrassingly terrible things we liked at 17, I saw that movie twice (!) in the theater.
Good tune, but yeah, it's all about that video.

Ford Fairlane was an embarrassment, but who didn't love Andrew Dice Clay back then?

I saw it in the theater with a group of friends because everything else at the theater was sold out. Afterwards, one of my friends said "not only was I robbed of my money, I was left for dead on the side of the road."

It's the second-worst film that I saw in the theater without walking out. The worst was Your Friends and Neighbors.

Leaders of the New School were pretty dope, too.

It’s just another case of that old P.T.A.

I mention them because I think they were affiliated with Native Tongue in some way. I know they guested on “Scenario,” which still may be the bangingest club song maybe ever.
The first time I ever heard The Choice is Yours, I was at Toad's Place in New Haven. Public Enemy played, and Leaders of the New School was opening. Between sets, they played The Choice is Yours, and I was like, who the eff is this??

The Friday night DJ at Axis on Lansdowne street used to play it last song after a full set of rave music. Brought the house down every time.
Jungle Brothers are in my top-10 all time. Listened to Done by the Forces of Nature a million times.
Beeds on a String top ten hip hop songs for me

Ford Fairlane was an embarrassment, but who didn't love Andrew Dice Clay back then?
Me. It was a lonely club.

However, I will still sing Booty Time, Booty Time! Across the USA, that makes me laugh.

Me. It was a lonely club.

However, I will still sing Booty Time, Booty Time! Across the USA, that makes me laugh.
I hear you - the affection was short-lived for sure. You can hear those nursery rhymes only a few times before getting tired of them.

Last edited:
Big Billy Idol fan. Cradle of Love isn't his best effort.

In a live version, Billy himself sings the lyrics as "This song is so cheesy".

One of my favorite BI songs is in that album though.

I saw it in the theater with a group of friends because everything else at the theater was sold out. Afterwards, one of my friends said "not only was I robbed of my money, I was left for dead on the side of the road."

It's the second-worst film that I saw in the theater without walking out. The worst was Your Friends and Neighbors.
All this talk of Ford Fairlane and no callback to earlier in this thread and the Vanilla Ice "classic" Cool As Ice? You think you've seen horrible movies???

All this talk of Ford Fairlane and no callback to earlier in this thread and the Vanilla Ice "classic" Cool As Ice? You think you've seen horrible movies??
I would attend this watch party but Mary Jane would need to be in attendance

All this talk of Ford Fairlane and no callback to earlier in this thread and the Vanilla Ice "classic" Cool As Ice? You think you've seen horrible movies???
I had completely forgotten its existence. So … thanks? … for reminding me.

#84 - Jane Child - Don't Wanna Fall in Love

In the time of lots of bad dance-pop, this one is a freaking gem - I was so stoked when @Sullie picked it in the Middle-Aged Dummies Around the World Draft. I had no idea until then that Jane Child was from Canada, and that she was somewhat of Tori Amos-like child prodigy. Besides the song itself being amazing, the nose-ring chain stole my heart. So much so that 6 years later when I was in grad school (still at UF), I went to see my friend's dance troupe and fell hard for a girl that sported one (I think my first IRL encounter).*

Don't Wanna Fall in Love was the second single off of Jane's 1989 self-title album and peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. For my fellow new jack swing-loving gb @massraider, Teddy Riley also did a remix.

* Pardon the digression and TMI, but this is such a "small world" story that I feel compelled to retell it. The dancer with a nose-chain (call her "L") and I hooked up a couple of times but, looking back, it was more of a quid-pro quo: I tutored her in math and then she stayed over. That was that, other than me always thinking of her when I heard Jane Child. All this happened right before I started an almost 2-year relationship with "S."

Fast forward 15 years and I learn that my kid's T-ball coach in Baltimore went to UF and needed me to cover one game b/c he had to head back to Florida to be in his fraternity brother "J's" wedding. Knowing that before me, "S" dated a Pike with the same name, and being facebook friends with the coach, I did a little digging and I learned it was indeed the same "J". But, here's the real kicker - "J" was marrying "L" the nose-chain girl! I hated, hated, hated the Pikes at UF, and I wanted so badly to ask the coach to tell J that some bald guy he met in Maryland not only slept with his ex-girlfriend but his wife-to-be as well. But Pikes were notorious meatheads and the coach was still huge so I definitely thought the better of it.

Last edited:

Pretty sure this video, and later Carmen Electra's "Go-Go Dancer" got my parents to remove MTV from our cable package after letting it babysit me and my two younger brothers for the better part of a decade.

* Pardon the digression and TMI, but this is such a "small world" story that I feel compelled to retell it. The dancer with nose-chain (call her "L") and I hooked up a couple of times
Pretty sure the one with the nose chain is Jane Child.

Are you saying there is more than one nose chain in that video?

I remember when this one came out, and I was a little put off by her look. Dumb extensions, absurd spiky hair, little Madonna look elsewhere, it all seemed a bit too much. But, like you said, she's Canadian. They do the best they can.

I remember when this one came out, and I was a little put off by her look. Dumb extensions, absurd spiky hair, little Madonna look elsewhere, it all seemed a bit too much. But, like you said, she's Canadian. They do the best they can.
Either I told the story terribly or you've been in the stash early on Friday. I was speaking of the dancer in the UF dance troupe with my friend.

Pretty sure this video, and later Carmen Electra's "Go-Go Dancer" got my parents to remove MTV from our cable package after letting it babysit me and my two younger brothers for the better part of a decade.
In rewatching the video, there was lot more Billy Idol and a lot less Devon than I remembered. It must have taken a lot of practice to get my, um, visual timing correct.

* Pardon the digression and TMI, but this is such a "small world" story that I feel compelled to retell it. The dancer with nose-chain (call her "L") and I hooked up a couple of times

Yes we do. On a related note, if you haven't see it you should check out Alanis Morrissette's pre- Jagged Little Pill look.

Users who are viewing this thread